PDA

View Full Version : Justin Smiley

UnderArmour
01-05-2008, 01:35 AM
I think he will be the Free Agent Guard we sign. There was a rumor floating around at the beginning of the year that a bunch of teams were interested in him(Seahawks, Broncos, Bears, Ravens included). He is coming off an injury and he should be much cheaper than a Faneca. I didn't think he was too bad although the 49ers aren't going to resign him.

http://sf49ers.com.mx/fotos/2006/players/65JustinSmiley.jpg

dogfish
01-05-2008, 02:03 AM
can't say that i watched the 9ers play much this year, but the reports i've read in PFW have said all year that his play was terrible, and the weakness of their O-line as a whole would seem to bear that out. . . i really hope we don't go after him-- i'd much, much rather give the guys we have another year to devlop as individuals and build chemistry as a unit. . . if we look to spend free agent dollars on the line, IMO it would be infinitely wiser to bring in a veteran tackle who's potentially capable of manning the left side and protecting cutler in case ryan harris doesn't pan out or gets hurt. . .

although jordan gross has been more successful at ORT, he at least has the athleticism for the left side, and he would definitely be my first choice-- also, probably more expensive than smiley, but worth it to keep your franchise player healthy. . .

holland is serviceable, and i think kuper is going to develop into a damn good player-- we also may get hamilton back, and even if we don't myers provides some depth at OG if nalen comes back. . . all in all, i think tackle is both the more important position, and the more pressing need. . . JMO though. . .

BOSSHOGG30
01-05-2008, 02:22 AM
This was the old post on his injury so everyone knows what his injury was. He also broke his hand in 2006.

49ers RG Justin Smiley (separated shoulder) is likely done for the year.

Smiley was informed by doctors that his shoulder will need to be surgically repaired. He separated his left shoulder last year, but was able to play through it. Now his right shoulder is separated. If he lands on injured reserve, this will likely be Smiley's last season with San Francisco.
Source: San Francisco Chronicle

BOSSHOGG30
01-05-2008, 02:26 AM
Here is the old rumor:

http://www.49erswebzone.com/content/news/view.php?id=9729

According KFFL.com, Matt Maiocco of the Press Democrat reports that the Seattle Seahawks, Baltimore Ravens, Denver Broncos and Chicago Bears are all interested in possibly trading for San Francisco 49ers OG Justin Smiley.

It is unknown if KFFL is referencing new information or if they are simply referencing the below article from over 2 weeks ago
Smiley, who is listed at 6-3 and 301 lbs, has been an impressive young offensive lineman over the past couple of years and helped running back Frank Gore gain 1,695 yards rushing last season.

While Smiley is a valued member of the team, he is also entering the final year of his contract. The 49ers have tried to resign Smiley but his asking price is much more than the team is willing to pay.

WARHORSE
01-05-2008, 04:06 AM
Not interested.

Retired_Member_001
01-05-2008, 07:47 AM
I don't actually think Justin Smiley would be an upgrade over Chris Kuper, Chris Myes or Ben Hamilton. 49ers fans were calling for Baas to start over him during the season and every time I've watched Smiley he seems to mess something up.

I agree with Dogfish, we need to go after an OT.