PDA

View Full Version : Zbs/sys

horsepig
11-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Anybody notice that with about 1:26 left in the 1'st half the Broncos used a ZBS on 3'rd and 1. The entire blocking scheme went right and
moreno (I think) cut back and got the 1'st with about 2 yards to spare.

The ZBS is not designed very well for short yardage plays. The team is moving away from it and trying to be physical up front. That is not working.
It was nice to see them use it on SYS and for it to work.

The system is wonderful for the running game but, it leaves you sucking air on SYS. I am undecided whether to scrap it. It definitely works, as Shanny proved over and over. It does not however, work well at all in SYS.

Can you expect your OL to be able to work both philosophies concurrently?

I don't know. My feeling is that you cannot run two very different blocking schemes in the NFL with success. We have a very good OL, but the guards (and center) are getting bulled into their own backfield too often.

I believe we are 2 players short of shelving the ZBS. Mostly the guards. Hamilton is getting his ass handed to him routinely. Is Kuper that much better? I really like Weigman at center but, he needs really stout guards to help with his size deficiency.

i cannot believe I am bitching about the OL, however, one must take off the koolaid glasses and look hard at what is happening now.

Nomad
11-01-2009, 07:47 PM
I don't think you're bitching! BRONCOS didn't adjust to the pressure the Ravens were giving. The Steelers bring the same gameplan so I expect the BRONCOS to have a gameplan for them and minimize the pressure. If the BRONCOS can't fix that then we're in trouble and next week will be a great test to see how the BRONCOS bounce back!! I have faith in them that they can!!

Lonestar
11-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Hamilton was on skates again all day today the only time I saw him playing decently Clady was helping out..

I see a replacement there very soon.. in fact was surprised we did not see it at half time..

Tned
11-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Hamilton was on skates again all day today the only time I saw him playing decently Clady was helping out..

I see a replacement there very soon.. in fact was surprised we did not see it at half time..

While I haven't been quite as down on Hamilton as some, I agree that I wouldn't have been surprised to see Hochstein take over the LG spot after half time. I was wondering if we would see a mid game replacement.

Nomad
11-01-2009, 07:54 PM

Who would replace him, JR?? Just curious, I don't know who the other lineman is!!

gobroncsnv
11-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Agree, I don't think we would lose anything with Hochstein in there... The Hammer has been a bit of a liability this season. Certainly today, anyway. Ben just gets overpowered.

ikillz0mbies
11-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Ben Hamilton has been getting eaten up all season by guys who are bigger than him. With the Broncos going toward a more tradition blocking system, Hamilton does not fit, as he is one of the more smaller guards designed for a ZBS. I see a G being drafted this year. I like Hamilton, but he is getting pushed around way too much.

Elevation inc
11-02-2009, 03:50 AM
i expect weigman to stay as our center and us to re-sign hochstein, the staff likes seth olsen so he should be ready to start at LG next year......but i still see us getting anotehgr guard and kuper and hamilton not with the team next year....kuper may be our best run blocking guard but he struggles in man situations.....and thats a scheme we are running more often now...

WARHORSE
11-02-2009, 06:37 AM
Polumbus needs to move to guard imo.

The guy can play.

Elevation inc
11-02-2009, 06:46 AM
Polumbus needs to move to guard imo.

The guy can play.

the problem with that is we have no back-up for harris or clady then(Brandon Gorin sucks).....lol

the best case for next year is to draft a top C or guard G and a depth C or Guard eitehr or works....and have olsen at LG and hochstein at RG while we develop the young center and guard from the draft. we probally will address guard during FA as well....and i know they are actually kinda stoked with the potential of mitch erikson from the PS for guard as well....i like hochstein at RG since he knows the system well, and i believe olsen can do damage next year at LG....

Dean
11-02-2009, 06:58 AM
I think we are getting to excited about a few bad plays. Here is our O-line rankings so far.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

It isn't like last year but it isn't gloom and doom either.

Elevation inc
11-02-2009, 07:32 AM
I think we are getting to excited about a few bad plays. Here is our O-line rankings so far.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

It isn't like last year but it isn't gloom and doom either.

those stats dont show how many times kuper, hamilton were on there ass yesterday or in short run situations all year. it aint all dire but our inteior OL nees a upgrade...it would just make us that more explosive on offense.....we are getting by with what we have now, but as we saw yesterday thats becoming not good enough against the power teams in the AFC....

broncofaninfla
11-02-2009, 09:33 AM
We were outschemed out muscled and out played on the O-line yetserday. We'll be in for another long day id Mcd and staff don't make some changes/adjustemnts on the O-line.

ursamajor
11-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Not satisfied with you O-Line? Ill call Halas Hall of you want to swap.