PDA

View Full Version : Our new punter

scott.475
11-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Other topics are covered, but I am not impressed with our new punter. I was a little worried when I saw the long list of teams he had been with in the past, thinking if he was so great he would've stuck with at least a few long term. Our bye really did not treat us well and I think the jury might still be out on the punter now.

Well, still we are 6-1, I was disappointed we did not do more to adjust during the game today. We were bullied in all facets, it was a total team collapse today. Don't know if we started believing our own press, got lazy during the bye (I was worried about all those days off), or what, but just my .02 cents.

Go Broncs!

Tned
11-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Kern has been pretty mediocre ever since he has been the Denver punter, with lots of shanks in key situations. However, Berger (or whatever his name is) didn't look very good at all. He takes WAY to long to get the ball off and had multiple kicks almost blocked. At to that the fact that most of his punts were not very long and it's hard to see him as an upgrade.

Hopefully, this was an off game for him.

Ravage!!!
11-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Kern has been pretty mediocre ever since he has been the Denver punter, with lots of shanks in key situations. However, Berger (or whatever his name is) didn't look very good at all. He takes WAY to long to get the ball off and had multiple kicks almost blocked. At to that the fact that most of his punts were not very long and it's hard to see him as an upgrade.

Hopefully, this was an off game for him.

agreed.

horsepig
11-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Kern was kicking short when we needed boomers and he putting ALL his shorties into the endzone, see'ya.
Jury is still out on Berger.

weazel
11-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Every punt was a sit on the edge of your seat moment. He come within inches of getting blocked every single punt. Who else is available, I dont think my heart can take any molre Berger...

broncofaninfla
11-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Kern was a better punter IMO

LRtagger
11-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Neither one of them have helped us this year as far as field position is concerned. Sure we didnt have a punt returned for a TD today, but we damn near almost had 5 or so punts blocked.

honz
11-01-2009, 07:24 PM
I'll wait more than one game to judge our new punter. His punts were significantly better after the first two poor ones.

broken12
11-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Neither one of them have helped us this year as far as field position is concerned. Sure we didnt have a punt returned for a TD today, but we damn near almost had 5 or so punts blocked.

and thats the punters fault.....bottom line is he sucks we could not turn the field the first half and that hurt

horsepig
11-01-2009, 08:23 PM
The first drives by both teams lost us net yards.
The real pisser though, was Eddie insisting on running the KO's out the the damn 15.

Lonestar
11-01-2009, 08:31 PM
The real pisser though, was Eddie insisting on running the KO's out the the damn 15.
:salute::salute::salute:

when your playing a good team for the most part you are not going to win the RB battle from inside your end zone..

he did it a couple of times, when he should have taken a knee..

think he was trying to hard to make something out of nothing..

weazel
11-01-2009, 09:09 PM

I agree that he shouldnt have taken them out of the end zone. The right move was to take a knee but I think he wanted to get some kind of momentum going.

Honestly, the extra 5 yards wouldn't have done anything for us anyway, our O-Line was strug-ell-ing...
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/football/_photos/2004-10-15-inside-namath-ko.jpg

CrazyHorse
11-01-2009, 09:12 PM
I'd rather have Sourbunz or Ernster back....

horsepig
11-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Being a beer drinker myself, I always kinda liked Sauerbraun (?). He sure as hell could the **** out of a football.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-01-2009, 09:48 PM
I thought Kern did fairly well last year, but his performances this year left a lot to be desired. I hadn't been getting internet access regularly (laptop needed a new charger) and when I found out Mitch Turdburglar was our new punter, I almost crapped myself. I think Berger was punting for the Vikings back when Tarkenton was quarterback. Ridiculous.

Day1BroncoFan
11-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Nothing he did today impressed me. His first punt was just blind luck it wasn't blocked.

titan
11-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Why not bring Colquitt back if Kern wasn't doing the job? I thought Colquitt and Kern were very close in performance in the preseason.

One nice thing about Berger, though. He only punts it 30 yards so the coverage team is sure to be down there and not allow a punt return td :-) I do think teams will get wise to his short punts and play the return man up more. Let's see what happens next game. Pittsburgh is very familiar with Berger.

GEM
11-02-2009, 12:46 AM

Kern didn't help us, Berger hurt us. Kern wasn't fantastic, but he wasn't downright lousy liker Berger.

Those short high punts won't be enough for the rest of the season.

frauschieze
11-02-2009, 12:50 AM
Normally, I'd think one game isn't enough footage to evaluate a kicker. But we only punted about a bajillion times today. A heart attack every one. Why'd we make this move again?

scott.475
11-02-2009, 01:25 AM
Kern did a great job for the Titans today, FWIW. Maybe getting cut helped him refocus on the basics or something, while our special teams have struggled the last two weeks. I hope it is not a pattern.

Dirk
11-02-2009, 08:19 AM
I agree that Berger seems to take a long time to get the kick off. However, I don't blame the near blocks on him. The Ravens were putting pressure on all offensive plays and our ST plays. The Ravens were playing like maniacs out there.

broncofaninfla
11-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Kern did a great job for the Titans today, FWIW. Maybe getting cut helped him refocus on the basics or something, while our special teams have struggled the last two weeks. I hope it is not a pattern.

I thought Kern was doing a good job for us as well. I think we cut a punter who still had a lot of upside for a punter who really never made a impact in this league and has been cut by multiple teams.

underrated29
11-02-2009, 11:42 AM
oops. I didnt see this thread. I made a very similiar thread to this.

My thoughts since i dont want to repost and or retype.

He sucks, his delivery is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to long and we will have a punt blocked for a TD next week. Guaranteed! :tsk:

Dortoh
11-02-2009, 11:50 AM
How ******* awesome is it when the large majority of the fan base is worried most about our punter. (which they are right in doing so)

I honestly didnt think this year would be this great.

JDL
11-02-2009, 08:12 PM
I thought Kern was doing a good job for us as well. I think we cut a punter who still had a lot of upside for a punter who really never made a impact in this league and has been cut by multiple teams.

Berger clearly sucks balls now... but the above statement is absolutely untrue. He's a two-time pro bowler as a punter and had 4-5 very good seasons. At this point though, he takes waaaay too long to get the ball off and in a league where there are an abundance of good punters (there were years when Berger's net avg.s of 38 were HIGHLY impressive league-wide), we have none... there are literally 12 punters with net averages above 40yds so far this year... Kern did great in Tenn. in his first game, we will see if he keeps it up but he didn't show an ability to be a top punter with us as he was horrible pinning teams inside the 20 (there are 11 punters already this year with as many IN20's as Kern had all last year and wasn't showing improvement this year.)

Right now, we have a real issue though and it looks like Berger is only going to make things worse because of his slow release.

I liked Colquitt a lot... not horribly spectacular but superb directional and IN20 punter. I suppose though there is always Sauerbrun punting in the UFL averaging 31.2yds/punt lol.

honz
11-03-2009, 03:56 AM
Net averages:
Kern - 34.5
Berger - 36.3

Superchop 7
11-03-2009, 04:18 AM
Colquitt deserves an opportunity.