PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Royal feels at home in Denver

Denver Native (Carol)
11-01-2009, 08:24 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13686133

It didn't take long for Broncos fans to fall for Eddie Royal. Perhaps it was as quickly as one game, when he started his career with nine catches and 146 yards against the rival Raiders.

In Royal's first home game at Invesco Field at Mile High, he recalled fans chanting "Edd-ie, Edd-ie" — just as the fans had cheered him during his career at Virginia Tech.

Now in his second year, Royal is making an effort to reach back to Denver fans and is the most proactive Bronco in social networking. He periodically posts video diaries on his Facebook page and solicits feedback from his fans on a variety of topics, from the World Series to NFL subjects.

When the Broncos play today at Baltimore, Royal, who grew up in northern Virginia, will have his two biggest fans in the stands at M&T Bank Stadium: nephews Tashes, age 7, and Rouya, 5.

Q: What does it feel like to have a stadium full of people chanting your name?

A: Oh, man, it doesn't get any better than that. That's an amazing feeling. If they think you can make a play, it's a great play. They did that for me at Tech. I felt comfortable here, but the first time that happened, I was like, "I'm really home."

Q: What have you gotten out of social networking?

A: We have die-hard fans who love us a lot, so I just wanted to open myself up to them a little more. For me, it's great to see their reactions to different things and just being able to connect with them. I remember being a fan growing up — it would have been amazing to be able to reach out and almost touch one of the guys I looked up to.

Q: Which athletes did you admire?

A: The guys that I looked up to a lot were Muhammad Ali and Michael Jordan because of their work ethic; you couldn't top that. And how much it meant to them, every game, everything meant a lot to them. You could really tell.

Q: Now that you're in the NFL, have you gotten to meet any of your idols?

A: I spoke to Jerry Rice on the phone. It was during my senior year in college. We kind of connected, sent some text messages back and forth and a few phone conversations. That was real cool. I tried to stay as calm as I could and be normal, but it was a little weird. He made it easy on me. He made me feel comfortable.

Q: What was the best advice he gave you?

A: The main thing I got from him was, don't let anybody outwork you. No matter how much time it takes, you've got to do it to do the best.

Q: What have you gotten from your relationship with former Broncos receiver Rod Smith?

A: He's been a big-brother type. He's been there for me regardless of what I need, whether it's off the field or whatever. He's been there to answer it. It has truly been a blessing to me. I can't imagine I would be to this point without a lot of his help. At first, I was a little nervous about calling him too much. But now, anything I got, I call him, and he tells me it's OK, and I believe him.

Q: How has your family enjoyed your NFL success?

A: It's been fun for them, but they're hard on me. Nothing's ever good enough for them. I could have a 10-catch game, and they'll be like, "Why didn't you catch that one?" I love that, though. That's how our family is: We're all competitors, and we all want to be the best at what we do. It's been fun, especially for my nephews.

Q: What was the best message you got after the San Diego game? Was it from one of your nephews?

A: My little nephew (Rouya), he was so excited. I barely understood the message because he was so excited. Yelling and screaming, something like, "You just scored a touchdown!" That's all I really could hear. Then just yelling and screaming. It was funny. That's the joy I get out of playing the game.

threefolddead
11-01-2009, 08:32 AM
There is no man more deserving the the Ed-die chant to be repeated for then Royal. He is a heck of a guy and I do love what he does on facebook. I think this article should have had a pole as to whether you have a man crush on Royal. One yes for me.

honz
11-01-2009, 11:09 AM
I don't think Eddie's Facebook and Twitter updates are actually him. They seem to forced and fake for some reason. I know he has some videos of him and stuff, but I don't think he actually does his own updates.

topscribe
11-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Good article (thanks, Carol), but that picture doesn't look like him at all . . .

-----

jrelway
11-01-2009, 12:15 PM
people love royal where i live. he was at the local highschool last weekend supporting his former teaml. too bad i had to work :(

Edmonton Bronco Fan
11-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Most athletes usually have somebody updating their facebook, twitter, sites ect.

Either way, I love Royal and his name will be on the back of my next Broncos jersey.

Chica_Ang
11-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Rod Smith continues to show he is a class guy by turning around and helping our current, younger players. This feel-good article made my morning....luv it!

Thanks Carol! :salute: