PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Off-season News/Rumor Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

BOSSHOGG30
01-03-2008, 09:07 AM
Denver Post speculates that Broncos RB Mike Bell could be dealt before the NFL Draft.

Bell went from a productive co-starter at tail back in 2006 to bench warmer at full back this season, playing in only five games. The Broncos should be able to acquire a late round pick from a team looking to improve their short yardage running game.
Source: Denver Post

BOSSHOGG30
01-03-2008, 09:07 AM
With the price tag for premium cornerbacks on the rise, Champ Bailey and his representatives may talk to the Broncos about a new contract.

Niners signed CB Nate Clements to an $80 million deal last season and Seahawks CB Marcus Trufant and other likely free agents could receive similar deals. The perennial Pro Bowler Bailey has three years remaining on his current contract and the Broncos limited cap space likely would push any contract talk deep into the offseason.

BOSSHOGG30
01-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Walker moving on?
Javon Walker | Broncos
Walker wants out of Denver, and Mike Shanahan will probably accommodate his trade demand, writes John Clayton. Shanahan will feel good about having Brandon Marshall and Brandon Stokley as the Broncos' starting receivers. He could use the draft to develop a third receiver.
Source: ESPN

DallasChief
01-03-2008, 09:19 AM
With the price tag for premium cornerbacks on the rise, Champ Bailey and his representatives may talk to the Broncos about a new contract.

Niners signed CB Nate Clements to an $80 million deal last season and Seahawks CB Marcus Trufant and other likely free agents could receive similar deals. The perennial Pro Bowler Bailey has three years remaining on his current contract and the Broncos limited cap space likely would push any contract talk deep into the offseason.

That's good news. I like reading stuff like that.

BOSSHOGG30
01-03-2008, 09:22 AM
That's good news. I like reading stuff like that.

When he turns 34 we will just trade him to you guys... You like old cornerbacks.

DallasChief
01-03-2008, 09:23 AM
When he turns 34 we will just trade him to you guys... You like old cornerbacks.

Speaking of 34. How did Dale Carter work out for you guys?

Rex
01-03-2008, 09:28 AM
Speaking of 34. How did Dale Carter work out for you guys?

Wow. That is lame. About like Dan Williams did for you.

DallasChief
01-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Wow. That is lame. About like Dan Williams did for you.

It's hardly the same level of free agency bust.

Rex
01-03-2008, 09:37 AM
It's hardly the same level of free agency bust.

I dont know. Perhaps not as high profile, but the Chiefs paid some pretty solid cash for ole' Danny.

However, I only argue because the mention of that douche bag's name cuts me deep.

DallasChief
01-03-2008, 09:39 AM
I dont know. Perhaps not as high profile, but the Chiefs paid some pretty solid cash for ole' Danny.

However, I only argue because the mention of that douche bag's name cuts me deep.

LOL

Well, seeing Neil Smith in a Broncos uniform really tears my heart out.

HolyDiver
01-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Denver Post speculates that Broncos RB Mike Bell could be dealt before the NFL Draft.

Bell went from a productive co-starter at tail back in 2006 to bench warmer at full back this season, playing in only five games. The Broncos should be able to acquire a late round pick from a team looking to improve their short yardage running game.

Good................if we can get a 6th or 7th round pick for him, we made out good. Maybe between Bell, Walker, Henry and Gold, we can get some later round picks to use to move up.

Rex
01-03-2008, 09:42 AM
LOL

Well, seeing Neil Smith in a Broncos uniform really tears my heart out.

Well, I got used to Neil. I didnt like it at first, but I accepted it. I dont think I would have ever been able to accept Dale Carter. Ever.

dogfish
01-03-2008, 03:47 PM

they tried to trade him last year and failed-- what makes 'em think his value is higher after spending a year on the bench?

BOSSHOGG30
01-03-2008, 03:50 PM
they tried to trade him last year and failed-- what makes 'em think his value is higher after spending a year on the bench?

I thought they turned down offers, but they were getting a few?

dogfish
01-03-2008, 03:54 PM
I thought they turned down offers, but they were getting a few?

hmmm. . . i could be wrong, but i'd swear they didn't get any-- i remember them shopping him to green bay, and green bay declining and trading for ryan grant instead (smart move on their part). . .

Broncolingus
01-03-2008, 04:00 PM

Good news...

I don't really care about the HB position at this point...

Offensively, Denver needs to work on the O-line and getting a good blocking, solid, FB.

Henry, Young, and Hall may not be TD, but they are fine right now given the 'needs' in other areas.

Henry, though, needs to re-work his contract (cheaper) cause he'll NEVER be a 16-game season RB...

CoachChaz
01-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Bell is an undrafted FA. Won't kill us or hurt us if we simply cut him.
________
Jaguar xjs history (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Jaguar_XJS)

BOSSHOGG30
01-03-2008, 04:05 PM
It probably would of been smart to play him a little more so he can build up some stock if we really wanted to trade him.

topscribe
01-03-2008, 04:33 PM
I deleted all my posts and those involving them.

It's called overreaction.

Carry on. :coffee:

-----

DenBronx
01-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Bell is an undrafted FA. Won't kill us or hurt us if we simply cut him.

why cut him when we could get a 6th or 7th rounder? not that anything spectacular would come out of that pick but you never know.

Broncolingus
01-03-2008, 06:11 PM
I deleted all my posts and those involving them.

It's called overreaction.

Carry on. :coffee:

-----

We figured...no prob.

Carry on...

WARHORSE
01-03-2008, 11:41 PM
John Clayton should shut up. Hes talking speculation on his part, not very media savvy, and sure to rile up Shanny.

Denver would only move to trade Javon imo. Letting him go is a last resort, unless his knee condition is degenerative........which wont be hidden from any team.

SoCoPoCo
01-04-2008, 04:27 AM
One of the best offensive line coaches ever is now unemployed - we REEAALLY need to be on the phone to HH. I lived in Dallas during the Cowboys SB runs and it was very evident that their Oline was the foundation of the team's success.

"At times during Houck's tenure the Cowboys' line was one of the most dominant in the history of the game. The 203 sacks they allowed in nine years under Houck were the fewest of any NFL team in that span. Six offensive linemen earned 22 trips to the Pro Bowl under Houck, including Larry Allen (7), Nate Newton (5), Erik Williams (4), Ray Donaldson (2), Mark Stepnoski (2) and Mark Tuinei (2). Future Hall of Fame running back Emmitt Smith earned a pair of rushing titles during Houck's tenure, and rushed for over 1,000 yards every season."

dogfish
01-04-2008, 04:45 AM
One of the best offensive line coaches ever is now unemployed - we REEAALLY need to be on the phone to HH. I lived in Dallas during the Cowboys SB runs and it was very evident that their Oline was the foundation of the team's success.

"At times during Houck's tenure the Cowboys' line was one of the most dominant in the history of the game. The 203 sacks they allowed in nine years under Houck were the fewest of any NFL team in that span. Six offensive linemen earned 22 trips to the Pro Bowl under Houck, including Larry Allen (7), Nate Newton (5), Erik Williams (4), Ray Donaldson (2), Mark Stepnoski (2) and Mark Tuinei (2). Future Hall of Fame running back Emmitt Smith earned a pair of rushing titles during Houck's tenure, and rushed for over 1,000 yards every season."

really, the 'phins let him go? that would be a damn good pickup. . . .

SR
01-04-2008, 04:56 AM
John Clayton should shut up. Hes talking speculation on his part, not very media savvy, and sure to rile up Shanny.

Denver would only move to trade Javon imo. Letting him go is a last resort, unless his knee condition is degenerative........which wont be hidden from any team.

John Clayton and Chris Mortenson are the two most reliable voices at ESPN...

sanluis
01-04-2008, 01:19 PM
really, the 'phins let him go? that would be a damn good pickup. . . .

He is a great coach. He did good things for us in San Diego. He will be very expensive IMO. And he prefers huge Linemen. Not the smaller little zone block oline that you guys have drafted in the past. Still, he would be a good pick up for most teams IMO.

WARHORSE
01-05-2008, 03:36 AM
John Clayton and Chris Mortenson are the two most reliable voices at ESPN...

Normally yes. But sometimes it makes these guys think they need to speculate on the air rather than go and find the story...if there IS a story.

The man heard what Javon said, and then said, "Shanahan will probably let Walker go."

Thats pure conjecture on his part, and pot stirring at its finest.

Lonestar
01-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Normally yes. But sometimes it makes these guys think they need to speculate on the air rather than go and find the story...if there IS a story.

The man heard what Javon said, and then said, "Shanahan will probably let Walker go."

Thats pure conjecture on his part, and pot stirring at its finest.

what they are paid to do, sell papers/magazines..

hamrob
01-05-2008, 10:44 PM
Good news about Bell...but whose the taker?

UnderArmour
01-05-2008, 10:48 PM

Alex Gibbs left the Falcons last year if I'm not mistaken. I think we'd go back to him before trying someone new.

SoCoPoCo
01-06-2008, 05:55 AM
Alex Gibbs left the Falcons last year if I'm not mistaken. I think we'd go back to him before trying someone new.

I would love to see Alex back on our sidelines, but there was/is some bad blodd between he and Shanahan over the way his boy was let go very unceremoniously (fired?) a couple years back. We have a much better chance of getting HH in here before we get Gibbs - either of them would be a HUGE improvement over what we currently have.

claymore
01-06-2008, 12:59 PM
From Clinton Portis On Restructuring Contract to Stay a Redskin

"Man, I'd love to be back here," Portis said. "I love my teammates and love the organization, but that's on them. I feel like I'll be here, but if it don't work out you can't hold your head down about it. I gave and left everything I had on the field, and it's up to them to make that decision. It's on them. I don't know what they're going to do, and right now I'm under contract with the Washington Redskins for the next four years. That's where I plan to be."

If they cut his ass, give Henry his bong, kick him out of dove Valley, and hand his check to Portis.

Bronco9798
01-06-2008, 12:59 PM
So we can watch him limp off the field after every run.

claymore
01-06-2008, 01:00 PM
So we can watch him limp off the field after every run.
At least it would be a 30 yard gain!

yardog
01-08-2008, 12:18 PM
broncos notes
Lynch sees "unfinished business"
By The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 01/08/2008 12:02:11 AM MST

John Lynch (Post file)After returning from a short family vacation, veteran safety John Lynch went on his television show Monday night sounding like he wanted to continue playing.

But Lynch wouldn't fully commit to coming back to the Broncos for his 16th season in the NFL.

"I still love the game of football," Lynch said during his show on KCNC-4.

Lynch said during the show he still needs to talk to coach Mike Shanahan about coming back. It is believed Lynch wants to return if he will continue to have a large role in the defense. In the past, Lynch has said he doesn't want to be a situational player. Lynch, 36, said he will make his decision soon.

Lynch went on to say he came to Denver to help the Broncos win the Super Bowl and

NFL Playoffs
Find photos and game recaps on a bracket for the NFL playoffs
Analyze matchups and boxscores for playoff games
Play Pick'em for each round of the NFL postseason to contend for prizes
that "unfinished business lends to me wanting to come back."
Footnotes.

According to the Ed Block Courage Award website, the Broncos' recipient of the annual award for 2007 is defensive end John Engelberger. Players vote for a teammate who exemplifies courage during the season. Winners from each NFL team will be honored in March. . . . The Broncos' coaching staff still is in player-evaluation meetings, and the future of coaches, in particular defensive boss Jim Bates, has yet to be determined.

Bill Williamson

MOtorboat
01-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Some Foxsports rumors:

Broncos could go after Bears Berrian?

There are good options at receiver if the Broncos decide to release Javon Walker. Chicago's Bernard Berrian, New Orleans' David Patten, Arizona's Bryant Johnson and Seattle's D.J. Hackett are among the top receivers who are scheduled to be free agents in March. -- Colorado Springs Gazette

Will Denver grab Cards Dansby?

Broncos could look to upgrade at the linebacker position. Arizona's Karlos Dansby, New England's Tedy Bruschi, Chicago's Lance Briggs, Detroit's Boss Bailey (brother of Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey) and Atlanta's Demorrio Williams are some of the linebackers scheduled to be free agents. -- Colorado Springs Gazette

Broncos won't get chance at Haynesworth or Allen?

The Broncos need defensive linemen, but top linemen command a lot of money in free agency. Players like Tennessee tackle Albert Haynesworth or Kansas City's Jared Allen either will get the franchise player tag, which means they can't negotiate with other teams, or exorbitant contracts that likely would price the Broncos out. -- Colorado Springs Gazette

Broncos could dump DC Bates

The Broncos' coaching staff still is in player-evaluation meetings, and the future of coaches, in particular defensive boss Jim Bates, has yet to be determined. -- Denver Post

No mention of trading Javon there: http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/nfl

dogfish
01-08-2008, 12:55 PM
please god don't bring in teddy bruschi!! enough with the fossils already, aren't they ever going to learn their lesson? dansby, on the other hand, would be an extremely welcome addition-- but i still think the cards will franchise him if they can't get a deal done. . .

claymore
01-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Skins expected to go after Bill Cowher
Redskins owner Daniel Snyder has a track record of spending liberally on his coaching staff, and the search for Joe Gibbs' replacement will be closely watched. Current assistant head coach-defense Gregg Williams will likely be a strong candidate. Several veteran players contacted in the last few days said that if Gibbs did leave -- a development they then regarded as unlikely -- they felt Williams should inherit the job. Under his current contract he would receive $1 million if he is passed over for it. Assistant head coach-offense Al Saunders has previous NFL experience, but his management of the team's offense has been criticized since he arrived in Washington for the 2006 season. Former Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Bill Cowher has been approached by several NFL teams, but insisted he is taking a two year sabbatical from the NFL. However two NFL general managers contacted in recent days said they would expect the Redskins to contact him in the event Gibbs left. -- Washington Post

Lonestar
01-08-2008, 02:19 PM
please god don't bring in teddy bruschi!! enough with the fossils already, aren't they ever going to learn their lesson? dansby, on the other hand, would be an extremely welcome addition-- but i still think the cards will franchise him if they can't get a deal done. . .

I love Teddy as a player none better at playing as all heart team..

Love to have a character player like him on the team for all the newbies, but his is older than dirt.

HolyDiver
01-08-2008, 02:35 PM
That's been our problem. We have not built this defense through the draft until very recently..............3/4 of our secondary were Free agent signings............half of our Defensive line.................And now with Wilson gone, only DJ and Gold remain and Winborn, FA, will beat him out for Will next season................Correction, abdullah was not our draft pick either. So, the entire Secondary.

claymore
01-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Gold was technically a free agent as well. :D

broncogirl7
01-08-2008, 03:19 PM
WTH is going on, nfl network reported Bates fired and then the article disappeared??? I can't find anymore about it.

NightTrainLayne
01-08-2008, 03:20 PM
WTH is going on, nfl network reported Bates fired and then the article disappeared??? I can't find anymore about it.

Maybe they couldn't confirm it, or were informed that they were wrong.

broncogirl7
01-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Maybe they couldn't confirm it, or were informed that they were wrong.

Could be. I have been to every site I can think of and am unable to find anything. I'll try TV in a moment.

Broncolingus
01-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Anybody see the latest stiff's Cleveland is dangling?

Lonestar
01-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Anybody see the latest stiff's Cleveland is dangling?

ok whom..:listen:

BOSSHOGG30
01-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Broncos S John Lynch is believed to be open to the idea of playing in 2008 if he's guaranteed a big role on defense.

Lynch, who is considering retirement, doesn't want to be a backup, but hinted on his radio show that he's leaning toward returning. "I still love the game," Lynch said. "Unfinished business lends to me wanting to come back."

SmilinAssasSin27
01-08-2008, 09:04 PM
He needs to go. It's time for everyone to move on.

UnderArmour
01-08-2008, 09:06 PM
He needs to go. It's time for everyone to move on.

Oh please. Lynch can stay another year, he was a Pro-Bowler just last year.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-08-2008, 09:08 PM
A pro-bowler w/ serious neck concerns. His presence also prevents us from moving towards the future. I love the guy, but if we're gonna rebuild...let's rebuild.

frauschieze
01-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Oh please. Lynch can stay another year, he was a Pro-Bowler just last year.

And we all know how much the Pro Bowl means in terms of playing ability.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2287/2170380096_94df6385b0_o.gif

broncosfanscott
01-08-2008, 09:31 PM
I like Lynch as much as other Bronco fans, yet our defense seems to be clueless when he isn't playing. We need to draft somebody to take his spot and can be a pressence on the field.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-08-2008, 09:33 PM
I like Lynch as much as other Bronco fans, yet our defense seems to be clueless when he isn't playing. We need to draft somebody to take his spot and can be a pressence on the field.

I agree with that. They do seem lost when he's not there.

roomemp
01-08-2008, 10:07 PM
We need all the help we can get!!!!! I say encourage Lynch to comeback. Let it be known though that the starting safty position is not yours. You need to earn it in camp!!!!!

SmilinAssasSin27
01-08-2008, 10:41 PM
I don't want to use a roster spot if his health is again a question.

Lonestar
01-08-2008, 10:59 PM
I don't want to use a roster spot if his health is again a question.

It is not like it is an issue get rid on one of the 12 DE mikey brought in towards the end of the year..

John is the leader of this defense knows it more than most others maybe he should be the DC..

Is like having coach on the field. when he was not in the game we looked worse than crap..

Time for him to teach a new kid the tricks of the trade.. Spend some money on a true safety and let him become a sponge for a year or two..

SmilinAssasSin27
01-08-2008, 11:10 PM
But continuity and dependability are now an issue w/ him. We set the season up w/ him as a S and he goes down again, we're now in flux. I know injuries can happen to anyone, but we all know he's not part of the future solution..

Lonestar
01-08-2008, 11:12 PM
But continuity and dependability are now an issue w/ him. We set the season up w/ him as a S and he goes down again, we're now in flux. I know injuries can happen to anyone, but we all know he's not part of the future solution..

but unless you bring in a vet you do not want a rookie learning from abdulla do you?.

MOtorboat
01-08-2008, 11:12 PM
but unless you bring in a vet you do not want a rookie learning from abdulla do you?.

No...I want him learning from Ken Norton, Jr...

SmilinAssasSin27
01-08-2008, 11:15 PM
If we bring in a first rounder...he'll play NOW. Lynch said he wants to be part of the plan. He's not gonna settle for being a teacher.

Lonestar
01-08-2008, 11:21 PM
If we bring in a first rounder...he'll play NOW. Lynch said he wants to be part of the plan. He's not gonna settle for being a teacher.

I do not think mikey would ever spend a #1 on a safety.. highest he has ever taken one was Kennedy and brown in the second and in Kennedy case it was our second number 2 that year..

Not going to happen, with all the major holes to fill..

Simple Jaded
01-09-2008, 12:29 AM
I do not think mikey would ever spend a #1 on a safety.. highest he has ever taken one was Kennedy and brown in the second and in Kennedy case it was our second number 2 that year..

Anything is possible, Jr, Shanahan is clearly back to making horrible decisions......

HolyDiver
01-09-2008, 09:12 AM

Atwater was taken, but by Reeves. I think Shanahan would take Phillips.

EMB6903
01-09-2008, 03:21 PM

safety is not a major hole to fill?

EMB6903
01-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Anything is possible, Jr, Shanahan is clearly back to making horrible decisions......

back to making horrible decisions? dudes had 3 SOLID draft classes the last 3 years.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-09-2008, 05:39 PM
I dunno if 2007 was a solid draft yet? I never liked Harris and Moss is banged up already. We only ended up w/ 4 pix due to his dealing. Jury is out on that one.

EMB6903
01-09-2008, 07:12 PM
ya I didnt understand that Harris pick, I think Crowder and Thomas will be solid contributions for this team from what I saw from them this year. And Moss had some moments before his unfortunate injury (Broken leg during a practice)

EMB6903
01-09-2008, 07:12 PM
but before moss's injury... Crowder Moss and Thomas all got playing time, and moss and Thomas started games.

Simple Jaded
01-09-2008, 07:44 PM
back to making horrible decisions? dudes had 3 SOLID draft classes the last 3 years.

WOW! Three in a row? Pin a ribbon on his nose.

I'm talking about making Slowik the DC, it's a horrible decision......One of the worst decisions he's ever made.

And that's saying something!......

underrated29
01-09-2008, 10:59 PM
lets give him a chance. Seriously he cant be much worse than what our defense just did.

I really think that he mgiht here, and maybe only here have much success. We have two top 10 corners patrolling the sidelines. If you send more then their oline can block the Qb only has a few seconds to get the ball out. And our Guys are good enough to lock down the wr until then or better yet pick it.

That Qb also in those quick few seconds has to make sure his throw is perfect otherwise it will be picked. Champ and Dre will not allow anything in unless its perfect. So that right there seems great (i hope).

But imo our major concern is the run d. IF we cant stop that then the rest of the d has to worry about it and then as a result cant play their game normally. So if he can find a way to shut down the run. I think we will instantly go from sht. to top 10. I am not going to say weather bates could have fixed that or not, and i know this isnt a rumor, but i felt like i should add it.

WARHORSE
01-10-2008, 04:14 AM
BRONCOS OR DIE.

claymore
01-10-2008, 06:24 AM
Ex-Bronco Wilson cleared to continue
By The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 01/09/2008 10:58:21 PM MST

Former Broncos middle linebacker Al Wilson (Post file)The question of whether Al Wilson will be able to play in the NFL in 2008 has been answered. Now the only query is where.

The former Broncos middle linebacker was cleared by his physician to start working in an NFL program immediately.

Wilson missed the 2007 season after being released by the Broncos in April. He suffered a neck injury in December 2006.

Wilson has been routinely monitored by Dr. Robert Watkins in Los Angeles, and Wednesday received clearance. Because he is both a free agent and healthy, Wilson can sign with any team.

"Al is training and is ready to play," said his Denver-based agent, Peter Schaffer. "There is no greater risk to his health than normal football risks. He is thrilled to get the chance to play again."

Wilson, 30, was a five-time Pro Bowl selection and should receive a lot of interest on the open market.

Asked if Wilson would be open to returning to the Broncos, Schaffer said, "There are 32 teams and Al will go to the best situation for him and his family."
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_7926072

claymore
01-10-2008, 01:29 PM
McFADDEN CUFFED, RELEASED

Arkanasas running back Darren McFadden, who likely will be one of the top picks in the 2008 draft, was handcuffed early Thursday after an incident at a piano bar in Little Rock, Arkansas. (Piano bar? What's next for McFadden, heated pants?)

McFadden was allegedly involved in a "pretty rowdy scene" outside of said piano bar.

The two-time Heisman runner-up was cuffed for five minutes "because he was agitated and was provoking aggressive behavior," according to the police report. He was released and not charged. (We wonder whether he would have escaped a trip to the station in the back seat of a cruiser if the incident hadn't happened in Arkansas.)

Though McFadden wasn't arrested, this is the kind of thing that will prompt teams to take an even closer look at him before making him the recipient of a huge chunk of guaranteed money.

McFadden has not yet said that he'll enter the NFL, but he is widely expected to do so.

Watchthemiddle
01-10-2008, 09:57 PM
McFADDEN CUFFED, RELEASED

Arkanasas running back Darren McFadden, who likely will be one of the top picks in the 2008 draft, was handcuffed early Thursday after an incident at a piano bar in Little Rock, Arkansas. (Piano bar? What's next for McFadden, heated pants?)

McFadden was allegedly involved in a "pretty rowdy scene" outside of said piano bar.

The two-time Heisman runner-up was cuffed for five minutes "because he was agitated and was provoking aggressive behavior," according to the police report. He was released and not charged. (We wonder whether he would have escaped a trip to the station in the back seat of a cruiser if the incident hadn't happened in Arkansas.)

Though McFadden wasn't arrested, this is the kind of thing that will prompt teams to take an even closer look at him before making him the recipient of a huge chunk of guaranteed money.

McFadden has not yet said that he'll enter the NFL, but he is widely expected to do so.

Maybe this off the field incident will drop him to #12

EMB6903
01-10-2008, 11:08 PM
WOW! Three in a row? Pin a ribbon on his nose.

I'm talking about making Slowik the DC, it's a horrible decision......One of the worst decisions he's ever made.

And that's saying something!......

more of a gutsy decision then a horrible one, I wouldnt think you can call it a horrible one yet, lets wait and see how it plays out. I wish he would have looked around the league to fill that before just handing it to Slowik. But if you think its a horrible decision can I atleast get a reason to why its horrible?

SoCoPoCo
01-11-2008, 07:35 AM
You have to admit that Kubiak knows exactly how much of an impact Gibbs can make. Interesting that young jedi Shanahan is now officially the OC. Oh well, I still think we can maybe persuade Hudson Houck to come and save our O line.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=335443

SR
01-11-2008, 07:37 AM
Our o-line doesn't need saving. We just need healthy bodies.

Italianmobstr7
01-11-2008, 10:35 AM
That is a great pickup for the Texans.

BOSSHOGG30
01-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Looks like Denver picked up Dre Bly for free.

Lions | Foster unlikely to return to team
Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:10:49 -0800

Tom Kowalski, of Mlive.com, reports Detroit Lions OL George Foster is unlikely to return to the team.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lions | T. Bell unlikely to return to team
Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:07:55 -0800

Tom Kowalski, of Mlive.com, reports Detroit Lions RB Tatum Bell is unlikely to return to the team.

frauschieze
01-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Hahahahahahahaha!

Broncospsycho77
01-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Nothing makes me happier than showing other teams that players are just a product of the system...

HolyDiver
01-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Nothing makes me happier than showing other teams that players are just a product of the system...

And that goes for college players too..........A player might be great in college but that doesn't mean he'll do the same in the NFL or on a particular team.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Keep in mind this is the same team shopping Roy Williams and Shaun Rodgers.

WARHORSE
01-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Keep in mind this is the same team shopping Roy Williams and Shaun Rodgers.

Great point.

But we also have to remember the state of the lockeroom as far as cohesiveness goes.

If only we could know where the sure things are, eh?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/warhorse001/doilookhappy.jpg

SmilinAssasSin27
01-14-2008, 07:54 PM
If only...

The speculation and banter is still fun for me though. It gets me thru the offseason.

claymore
01-15-2008, 07:33 AM
2008 NFL Draft Bad Decision: Ohio State LB James Laurinaitis Stays in School
Posted Jan 14th 2008 6:01PM by Michael David Smith
Filed under: NFL Draft

A look at the 2007 junior class as players decide whether to enter the 2008 NFL draft.

Ohio State linebacker James Laurinaitis was already penciled in as a top 10 pick in most 2008 NFL mock drafts, but if you were hoping your favorite team would take him, you're out of luck: Laurinaitis is staying at Ohio State for his senior season.

If Laurinaitis doesn't need the money (and his dad, who went by the name Road Warrior Animal, made millions as a pro wrestler) and he wants to play as a senior, good for him. But from a football perspective, this is the wrong decision.

NFL scouts think Laurinaitis is ready for the NFL, and by putting the NFL on hold for another year, he's leaving a fortune on the table. Although there's a chance that Laurinaitis could bulk up and get a little stouter against the run as a senior and improve his draft stock, he doesn't have much improvement to make. He's already a high first-round pick, and the risk of injury strikes me as too high to make it worth another year in Columbus.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/01/14/2008-nfl-draft-bad-decision-ohio-state-lb-james-laurinaitis-sta/

Sorry if this has been posted, but I was shocked!

claymore
01-15-2008, 07:35 AM
BUYER BEWARE ON McFADDEN?

So now it's official. After his father denied reports that Arkansas running back Darren McFadden will enter the NFL draft, McFadden announced on Monday that he's headed for the next level.

Though last week's non-arrest arrest of McFadden hasn't seemed to damage his standing as a top-tier draft pick, it's not the first incident of this nature involving the two-time Heisman runner-up.

In 2006, before McFadden emerged as a figure of national prominence in college football, McFadden was involved in a fight outside of another bar (or, possibly, the same one).

The situation arose on a Saturday at 4:20 a.m. Strike one. McFaddden reportedly was fighting with someone he didn't know in a parking lot, while a crowd watched. Strike two. McFadden needed surgery for a dislocated toe because McFadden "was kicking and kicking at [the other guy] and his shoe came off and his foot hit the pavement."

And . . . strike . . . three.

Sorry, Darren. Too much money gets invested in players taken at the top of round one. And the Commish no longer messes around with guys who can't conform to the basic requirements of society.

We're not saying he should be taken off of the board. But the stakes are too high for him to be taken in the top three, possibly too high for him to be selected in the top ten.
Wow.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-15-2008, 08:46 AM
Sorry if this has been posted, but I was shocked!

Not a big surprise at all actually. Some have been saying for a while now that he was always leaning towards staying in school.

hamrob
01-15-2008, 10:00 PM
Wow...I wonder if he's afraid of the NFL? Ohio State is not going to win a National Championship next year and he's a LB for craps sake. LB's don't go in the top 10 that often. Poor decision if you ask me.

tubby
01-15-2008, 10:18 PM
McFadden is too tall and will suck as a RB in the NFL. Apparently he is a dumbshyt to boot.

Skinny
01-15-2008, 10:33 PM
McFadden is too tall and will suck as a RB in the NFL. Apparently he is a dumbshyt to boot.That's a new one on me ...

This is a trick question is'nt it ...

I ai'nt touchin it ... :coffee:

MOtorboat
01-15-2008, 11:56 PM
That's a new one on me ...

This is a trick question is'nt it ...

I ai'nt touchin it ... :coffee:

Don't worry, Tubby's ideal RB is Henry who is 5-8.

silkamilkamonico
01-16-2008, 12:55 AM
McFadden is too tall and will suck as a RB in the NFL. Apparently he is a dumbshyt to boot.

Wow.

This could quite possibly be the dumbest comment in this thread yet.

claymore
01-16-2008, 07:27 AM
Broncos to go after Chan Gailey?

The Broncos are expected to pursue Chan Gailey to replace Heimerdinger if a deal with the Titans is struck.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jan/16/titans-might-pursue-broncos-top-offensive-aide/

BOSSHOGG30
01-16-2008, 12:31 PM
Lions SLB Boss Bailey is not expected back with the team in 2008.

Bailey, an unrestricted free agent, never delivered on his potential after being a second-round pick in 2003. Champ's brother could get a look from Denver this offseason. The Broncos need help at outside linebacker.
Source: MLive.com

mclark
01-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Miami Dolphins

Team needs: OL, DT, S, MLB, CB

Dorsey. Best player in the draft. Versatile enough in a 3-4 also.

turftoad
01-16-2008, 12:44 PM

That was the rap on A. Peterson coming out also. Look what he did.

tubby
01-16-2008, 02:01 PM
I just don't think McFadden can be a feature back in the NFL. Just my opinion.

Maybe I haven't seen enough of him but I did watch the Cotton Bowl.

Italianmobstr7
01-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Lions SLB Boss Bailey is not expected back with the team in 2008.

Bailey, an unrestricted free agent, never delivered on his potential after being a second-round pick in 2003. Champ's brother could get a look from Denver this offseason. The Broncos need help at outside linebacker.
Source: MLive.com

I would take some Boss on our team. He's pretty good. No one is really that great in Detroit. I bet he would shine over here in Denver, especially playing with his brother Champ.

HolyDiver
01-16-2008, 04:33 PM
I would take some Boss on our team. He's pretty good. No one is really that great in Detroit. I bet he would shine over here in Denver, especially playing with his brother Champ.

Would he be an upgrade over Webster?

Italianmobstr7
01-16-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm not sure. He could be. I haven't seen enough of him yet.

HolyDiver
01-16-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm not sure. He could be. I haven't seen enough of him yet.

Not good enough...............Please find out more tonight and have the info on my desk by 8:00 am tomorrow...............eastern.

Skinny
01-16-2008, 07:16 PM
I'd say Boss is a more 'disiplined' player than Nate, just as athletic if not more ... that's just me ...

I could go for some Boss in Denver.

MOtorboat
01-16-2008, 07:17 PM
I'd say Boss is a more 'disiplined' player than Nate, just as athletic if not more ... that's just me ...

I could go for some Boss in Denver.

Bosshogg is now a coach. He's a little past the playing days...

...I wouldn't mind seeing Boss Bailey in a Broncos uniform either...but, I don't know how much of an upgrade he'd really be.

dogfish
01-16-2008, 07:26 PM
boss is no champ. . . . . :elefant:

MOtorboat
01-16-2008, 07:28 PM

Well...duh.

:wave:

AFGAHNI_BATTLE_DONKEY
01-16-2008, 07:36 PM
boss bailey like champ bailey has extreme athletic ability.

better then webster thats for sure.

dogfish
01-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Well...duh.

:wave:

i know, i just wanted to post something with the little dancing elephant dude. . .

boss is okay, but not a particularly significant upgrade from the guys we currently have, IMO. . . he gets hurt a lot, and he's been through several serious knee injuries already-- those things aren't likely to hold up very long. . .

Simple Jaded
01-16-2008, 08:54 PM
more of a gutsy decision then a horrible one, I wouldnt think you can call it a horrible one yet, lets wait and see how it plays out. I wish he would have looked around the league to fill that before just handing it to Slowik. But if you think its a horrible decision can I atleast get a reason to why its horrible?

You mean besides the fact that he's mostly a complete and total failure as a DC?

Another reason would be that this is move makes Ronnie Bradford DB's coach......

Simple Jaded
01-16-2008, 08:56 PM

On the other hand, he's no Ian Gold either...:D...

Boss Bailey should be a WLB anyway......

SmilinAssasSin27
01-16-2008, 09:34 PM
Boss Bailey is solid. he'd be a solid stopgap that would allow us to approach other spots in the draft. OT, DT and/or Safety could definitely be pushed to the forefront.

BOSSHOGG30
01-18-2008, 10:03 AM
Denver is expected to elevate Jeremy Bates to an expanded role in the offense. Bates, 31, coached the quarterbacks and receivers last season and is considered one of the brightest young offensive minds in the NFL. Bates, the son of former assistant head coach in charge of defense Jim Bates, has a good working relationship with quarterback Jay Cutler.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_8003058

This from the DPO - Karl Dorrell is expected to be offerred only the WR coaching position.

claymore
01-24-2008, 06:37 AM
LIONS TO PART WAYS WITH ROGERS

The Detroit Free Press reports that the Lions will part ways with veteran defensive tackle Shaun Rogers.

Per the Free Press, Rogers will be traded or released.

Rogers, a second-round pick in 2001, is signed through 2010, at salaries of $4.25 million, $5.25 million, and $7 million over the next three years, respectively.

Astrass
01-24-2008, 03:20 PM
LIONS TO PART WAYS WITH ROGERS

The Detroit Free Press reports that the Lions will part ways with veteran defensive tackle Shaun Rogers.

Per the Free Press, Rogers will be traded or released.

Rogers, a second-round pick in 2001, is signed through 2010, at salaries of $4.25 million, $5.25 million, and $7 million over the next three years, respectively.

Anyone know why?

Lonestar
01-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Anyone know why?

probably money that is a lot of scheckles for little production..

Ricky
01-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Perception was that Shaun Rogers did nothing after a good game against the Broncos and would take plays off.

turftoad
01-24-2008, 03:45 PM
January 24, 2008, 11:27
Dolphins

Dolphins Put No. 1 Overall Pick On The Market

Omar Kelly, South Florida Sun Sentinel - [Full Article]

Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland opened up the trade doors for the 2008 rookie draft by declaring the team's No. 1 overall pick available to any interested team. "We're open for business," Ireland said. The No. 1 pick is no different from the 22nd pick. You've got to make the right selection. You just can't miss on it. We're going to do everything in our power to make the right choices, whether it be to take the pick or move down. We'll listen to all offers." No teams have expressed interest in trading up in the draft so far.

DallasChief
01-24-2008, 03:46 PM
January 24, 2008, 11:27
Dolphins

Dolphins Put No. 1 Overall Pick On The Market

Omar Kelly, South Florida Sun Sentinel - [Full Article]

Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland opened up the trade doors for the 2008 rookie draft by declaring the team's No. 1 overall pick available to any interested team. "We're open for business," Ireland said. The No. 1 pick is no different from the 22nd pick. You've got to make the right selection. You just can't miss on it. We're going to do everything in our power to make the right choices, whether it be to take the pick or move down. We'll listen to all offers." No teams have expressed interest in trading up in the draft so far.

I can't see anyone trading up to #1.

yardog
01-24-2008, 03:52 PM
We will if thay would take Gold, Walker, Henry and the #12.

tubby
01-24-2008, 04:17 PM
I can't see anyone trading up to #1.

The Chiefs should do it for McFadden.

DallasChief
01-24-2008, 04:18 PM
The Chiefs should do it for McFadden.

McFadden will still be there when the Chiefs pick if they wanted him. Which they don't.

tubby
01-24-2008, 04:20 PM
McFadden will still be there when the Chiefs pick if they wanted him. Which they don't.

You don't know so many things.

Ricky
01-24-2008, 04:31 PM
JMHO, but I think McFadden is going to be the OROY next year, who ever drafts him.

Italianmobstr7
01-24-2008, 04:47 PM
JMHO, but I think McFadden is going to be the OROY next year, who ever drafts him.

Not if he goes to a team w/ no O-line...

Skinny
01-24-2008, 04:59 PM
I can't see anyone trading up to #1.Maybe Dallas??

Just a thought ...

EMB6903
01-24-2008, 05:09 PM
probably money that is a lot of scheckles for little production..

wait a minute, little production? I hope that was sarcasm, because aside from haynesworth, nobody played better at the defensive tackle position then Shaun Rogers

dogfish
01-24-2008, 05:10 PM
wait a minute, little production? I hope that was sarcasm, because aside from haynesworth, nobody played better at the defensive tackle position then Shaun Rogers

yea, for the first half of the season . . .

EMB6903
01-24-2008, 05:13 PM
thats funny he racked up 6 sacks and 24 tackles AFTer the first 5 weeks... think before typing my man.

dogfish
01-24-2008, 05:31 PM
thats funny he racked up 6 sacks and 24 tackles AFTer the first 5 weeks... think before typing my man.

no need for the sarcasm, i'm not "your man". . . . ;)

although i did mean to type "after the first 8 weeks, not the first 5". . .

the first 8 weeks of the season, rogers recorded 20 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble, one INT and 2 tipped passes-- in that time, detroit allowed opposing RBs to average 96.2 rushing yards and .75 rushing TDs per game. . . . the second 8 weeks, rogers recorded 19 tackles 2.5 sacks, and 1 tipped pass-- the lions allowed opposing RBs to average 128.2 rushing yards and 1.50 rushing TDs per game. . .

here's a snippet from PFW:

Rogers' recent failures correlate with Lions' defensive struggles

Updated as of 11:30 p.m. EST Sunday, Dec. 16

The decline of the Lions’ defense, which has fallen off badly since the team’s Week Nine win over the Broncos and has allowed at least 416 yards in three of its last four games, roughly parallels the slide in DT Shaun Rogers’ play. Clearly, there are other factors at work, but Rogers has looked sluggish and has been a nonfactor since his 2˝-sack game against Denver. He frequently has to come off the field because of conditioning issues or with an ailing knee, as happened before the Cowboys’ 4th-and-goal play from the Lions’ one-yard line. The Cowboys ran Marion Barber — virtually untouched — through Rogers’ gap, which was being filled by Langston Moore, a smaller tackle who most often plays in nickel situations. Rod Marinelli has made sure to note that Rogers is not solely to blame for the defensive problems, many of which existed when Rogers was at his best, but he also made no apologies for the D-tackle’s play of late.

i read many such comments from multiple sources during and after the season. . .

so, how about YOU think before you post-- think it over. . . if rogers is the player his reputation says he is, why the hell would the lions be letting him go?? remember, they aren't just shopping him around to see what they can get-- they've actually announced in the media that they'll cut him if the can't trade him. . . not exactly the way you treat a star player in his prime, especially if you're one of the most talent-strapped teams in the league. . . also, the fact that their head coach is an old D-line coach (the guy who warren sapp credits for developing him), and he doesn't want rogers, should tell you something. . .

not to mention, rogers was suspended 4 games in '06 for using a banned substance, and is one slip-up away from a year's suspension. . . also, he was accused of pulling a gun at a strip club last year (sound like any other upstanding citizen we know?) before the charges got dropped and/or swept under the rug by local authorities. . .

and, he's been injury prone, and is a fat sack who runs out of steam and rarely plays hard-- he reportedly added 20 pounds over the second half of the season, and he clearly mailed it in on them. . .

EMB6903
01-24-2008, 06:00 PM
"well I actually meant the first 8 weeks, not first 5 like I actually said in the first comment" heh, dont back away now... and I shouldnt even be judging a Defensive tackle on his stats because defensive tackles dont really stand as out far as statistics go. Shaun Rogers is an amazing talent who causes as much penatration as any defensive tackle in the game, REGARDLESS OF THE STATS,and putting the blame for the Detriot Lions collapse on 1 defensive tackle is stupid. can you name another Defensive tackle that racked up as many sacks as him? and what about the last 6 games, when he had 18 tackles and 2.5 sacks? MY MAN you need to look up the game logs before you say something as ignorant as he only performed the first 8 games, the Lions collapse was far from his fault either.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-24-2008, 06:01 PM
My dad is a Lions fan...and is not surprised. He is a stud...if played sparingly. He wears down a LOT and isn't worth what he was being paid. Unfortunately someone will toss that money at him. Otherwise, I'd still love to have him at a reduced price. We rotate DL more so than Detroit and I don't think he'd wear down as fast here.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-24-2008, 06:04 PM
"well I actually meant the first 8 weeks, not first 5 like I actually said in the first comment" heh, dont back away now... and I shouldnt even be judging a Defensive tackle on his stats because defensive tackles dont really stand as out far as statistics go. Shaun Rogers is an amazing talent who causes as much penatration as any defensive tackle in the game, REGARDLESS OF THE STATS,and putting the blame for the Detriot Lions collapse on 1 defensive tackle is stupid. can you name another Defensive tackle that racked up as many sacks as him? and what about the last 6 games, when he had 18 tackles and 2.5 sacks? MY MAN you need to look up the game logs before you say something as ignorant as he only performed the first 8 games, the Lions collapse was far from his fault either.

It's amazing how wrong you are. Dude is a poser. YES, he has talent, but is lazy, sloppy and often out of shape. I'd rather have 5 DTs in his DIVISION than him. Still would tke him at a reduced cost, but guys like the Williams' of Minnesota, Tommie Harris, etc are all better for 16 weeks.

EMB6903
01-24-2008, 06:08 PM
can you name the 5 defensive tackles in the NFC North you would rather take over Shaun Rogers, aside from the Williams in Minny, and Harris.. who else?

SmilinAssasSin27
01-24-2008, 06:08 PM
Named 3 of em...Corey Williams and Justin harrell.

EMB6903
01-24-2008, 06:11 PM
My dad is a Lions fan...and is not surprised. He is a stud...if played sparingly. He wears down a LOT and isn't worth what he was being paid. Unfortunately someone will toss that money at him. Otherwise, I'd still love to have him at a reduced price. We rotate DL more so than Detroit and I don't think he'd wear down as fast here.

wow, he was a stud according to you, then a poser... what defensive tackle in this league isnt "lazy"? Shaun Rogers is a great player, if you guys cant see that, open your eyes.

EMB6903
01-24-2008, 06:12 PM
justin harrell, NOW THAT IS REACHING Corey Williams is Solid, as far as Talent goes, both of these guys arent Rogers.. stop it.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-24-2008, 06:16 PM
wow, he was a stud according to you, then a poser... what defensive tackle in this league isnt "lazy"? Shaun Rogers is a great player, if you guys cant see that, open your eyes.

STUD as in great TALENT. There are plenty of DTs who actually want to use it for more than 1/2 the time. Plenty aren't lazy. That's just a ridiculously stupid comment. if dude gave 100% every down and actually came to play in shape...he's top 5 in the league. Unfortunately he doesn't and thus, I'D RATHER HAVE a handful of DTs in his division over him. And if ya read the actual words I write, you'd see that's what I based my opinion of him on. He has zero work ethic. The fact that the Detroit frickin Lions don't want him should tell you sumthin.

READ ALL THE WORDS...don't just pick out the ones ya want.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-24-2008, 06:18 PM
justin harrell, NOW THAT IS REACHING Corey Williams is Solid, as far as Talent goes, both of these guys arent Rogers.. stop it.

Again, more than just talent...HOWEVER...Justin Harrell was a top 20 pick. His tricep ripped off of his frickin arm vs Air Force in 2006 and he came back to play in the biggest game of the year vs the Gators like a F-ing STUD before he was sat down for the rest of the year due to the injury. Rodgers would NEVER do that. Gimme Harrell any day.

EMB6903
01-24-2008, 06:21 PM
stop repeating yourself, for christ sakes. the guy was productive in 10 games, hate him all you want, saying he isnt productive more then 1/2 the season is complete stupidity, which doesnt suprise me coming from you. Now can i get the reason you would take Justin Harrell over Shaun Rogers?

EMB6903
01-24-2008, 06:21 PM
nice, showing what they did in college, LMAO!

EMB6903
01-24-2008, 06:23 PM
and yes ITS MORE THEN TALENT, YOU GOTTA SHOW THE TALENT YOU HAVE AND TRANSLATE IT ON TO THE FIELD, EXACTLY WHAT SHAUN ROGERS DID THIS YEAR. hate the guy all you want, saying he isnt productive is stupid. PERIOD

SmilinAssasSin27
stop repeating yourself, for christ sakes. the guy was productive in 10 games, hate him all you want, saying he isnt productive more then 1/2 the season is complete stupidity, which doesnt suprise me coming from you. Now can i get the reason you would take Justin Harrell over Shaun Rogers?

I wouldn't have to repeat myself if you could actually comprehend what I write the first 6 times. Do you carry around a towel for all the drool?

EMB6903
Smilin, I guarentee you I have forgotten more football then you know. you proved it by saying you would take Justin harrell over Shaun Rogers.

dogfish
01-24-2008, 06:25 PM

did you notice that i edited my post so quickly that no time stamp for an edit even shows up? if you've got a solid argument, you don't need to hold me to a technicality. . .

i also find it pretty amusing that you say "stats don't matter for a DT". . . and then proceed to list some of his stats!

:lol: :laugh:

i did look at the game logs-- so he had three tackles per game the last 6 weeks, BFD. . . also, i never blamed the lions' collapse on him, but if he wasn't a big part of it then tell me why teams were running ALL OVER them the second half of the season. . . and i never suggested that he wasn't an amazing talent, i would agree with that statement completely-- however, he has never had the work ethic or desire to translate that talent into consistent production on the field. . .

i'll ask you this question again-- if he was the 2nd best DT in the game this past season, as you claim, then why in the world are the lions just throwing him away. . . ??

:confused:

even stupid teams don't get rid of their top stars in the prime of their careers just for ****s and giggles-- ESPECIALLY releasing them and getting no compensation at all. . .

EMB6903
now can you tell me why you would rather have Corey Williams and Justin Harrell over Shaun Rogers, or are you gonna back away and run from that stupid comment you made earlier?

SmilinAssasSin27
and yes ITS MORE THEN TALENT, YOU GOTTA SHOW THE TALENT YOU HAVE AND TRANSLATE IT ON TO THE FIELD, EXACTLY WHAT SHAUN ROGERS DID THIS YEAR. hate the guy all you want, saying he isnt productive is stupid. PERIOD

If it was all about "talent" the Redskins woulda won 4 SBs since Snyder came along. How's that working out for him?

If Rodgers had shown up after the game vs us AT ALL he wouldn't be being cut by arguably the worst team in the league for the past 10 years.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-24-2008, 06:26 PM
now can you tell me why you would rather have Corey Williams and Justin Harrell over Shaun Rogers, or are you gonna back away and run from that stupid comment you made earlier?

derrrr....you are some kinda retarded. I already gave my reasons. If ya have trouble with the words, I recommend www.websters.com

EMB6903
01-24-2008, 06:26 PM
If it was all about "talent" the Redskins woulda won 4 SBs since Snyder came along. How's that working out for him?

If Rodgers had shown up after the game vs us AT ALL he wouldn't be being cut by arguably the worst team in the league for the past 10 years.

why are you talking about Snyder? he doesnt have the most talented team, he has the most money, that doesnt mean he has the most talented team. Im shaking my head at your ignorant posts. its a joke

EMB6903
01-24-2008, 06:28 PM
what were your reasons "Justin harrell played with a torn bicep against Air Force and was an he played good in florida" how about you give me a better reason then what he did in college. Gerrard Warren was a beast in College to right? would you take him over Rogers?

SmilinAssasSin27
01-24-2008, 06:28 PM
why are you talking about Snyder? he doesnt have the most talented team, he has the most money, that doesnt mean he has the most talented team. Im shaking my head at your ignorant posts. its a joke

Well...Bruce Smith...Deion Sanders...etc...etc...etc. Yer right. They had no talent whatsoever. But at least they are always in the playoffs, right?

EMB6903
01-24-2008, 06:29 PM
did you notice that i edited my post so quickly that no time stamp for an edit even shows up? if you've got a solid argument, you don't need to hold me to a technicality. . .

i also find it pretty amusing that you say "stats don't matter for a DT". . . and then proceed to list some of his stats!

:lol: :laugh:

i did look at the game logs-- so he had three tackles per game the last 6 weeks, BFD. . . also, i never blamed the lions' collapse on him, but if he wasn't a big part of it then tell me why teams were running ALL OVER them the second half of the season. . . and i never suggested that he wasn't an amazing talent, i would agree with that statement completely-- however, he has never had the work ethic or desire to translate that talent into consistent production on the field. . .

i'll ask you this question again-- if he was the 2nd best DT in the game this past season, as you claim, then why in the world are the lions just throwing him away. . . ??

:confused:

even stupid teams don't get rid of their top stars in the prime of their careers just for ****s and giggles-- ESPECIALLY releasing them and getting no compensation at all. . .

as much of a reason they want to get rid of Roy Williams, hes a good reciever, right?

EMB6903
01-24-2008, 06:30 PM
Well...Bruce Smith...Deion Sanders...etc...etc...etc. Yer right. They had no talent whatsoever. But at least they are always in the playoffs, right?

what in the hell are you talking about?

EMB6903
01-24-2008, 06:33 PM
dude brings up Bruce Smith when he played for the skins in his 16th season to his 19th season, and Deion when he was clearly out of his prime... complete stupidity. im sorry

SmilinAssasSin27
01-24-2008, 06:34 PM
what were your reasons "Justin harrell played with a torn bicep against Air Force and was an he played good in florida" how about you give me a better reason then what he did in college. Gerrard Warren was a beast in College to right? would you take him over Rogers?

OK...I'm gonna say this one more time. Read it slowly this time. Justin Harrell is a rookie. His recent history includes his college career. During his college career he showed that he is a great teammate and willing to sacrifice his own personal well being fo the sake of the team. He is a top 20 talent who will be starting in Green bay next year. Green Bay was just in the NFC Title game. Shaun Rodgers has a lot of skills, but chooses not to utilize them on a consistent basis. He doesn't work hard and is always winded halfway thru the 3rd quarter. He is THEN a liability...as good as he should be, it isn't demonstrated in his play after halftime and late in the season. he is being CUT by one of the worst franchises in the sport...but I;m sure you know better than NFL executives.

Give me the great teammate w/ a promising future who has shown he'll go to war for the name on the front of the jersey over a guy who mails it in cuz he can't lay off the Burger King.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-24-2008, 06:35 PM
as much of a reason they want to get rid of Roy Williams, hes a good reciever, right?

Roy is very good, but he too presents problems for the team. he is also injury prone and is expensive. They want to trade him to rebuild for the future. At least he isn't getting tossed out on his ass.

EMB6903
01-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Dog, and Didnt we get rid of Portis in his "prime" didnt the skins get rid of Bailey in his "prime" ?

SmilinAssasSin27
01-24-2008, 06:36 PM
dude brings up Bruce Smith when he played for the skins in his 16th season to his 19th season, and Deion when he was clearly out of his prime... complete stupidity. im sorry

All the pundits annually gave the "Offseason Free Agency Championship" to the skins when Snyder was spending like that. He was signing talented players left and right. All star teams don't work. ya need team players who gel well w/ the rest of the team. Apparently Rodgers doesn't do that.

dogfish
01-24-2008, 06:37 PM

not the same situation at all! they've got plenty of depth to replace him-- calvin johnson has all the potential in the world (and a huge contract), mike furrey caught 98 passes a year ago, and shaun macdonald was very productive for them this past season. . . williams is good, but he's a loudmouth who gets hurt every year and has a big salary cap number-- marinelli wants to run the ball more, and they can get by with the guys they have and put that money to better use elsewhere. . . also, there's not a WR available on the free agent market who's as good as williams, and with plenty of teams hard-up for help at the position they should be able to get something good in return for him. . . besides which, to the best of my knowledge they haven't come out and said that they would cut him if they can't trade him. . .

rogers is an entirely different story-- he's easily the most talented player on a defense that's desperate for quality players, but they're committed to getting rid of him regardless. . . looks to me like he mailed it in on them down the stretch and the coaching staff knows it. . .

SmilinAssasSin27
01-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Dog, and Didnt we get rid of Portis in his "prime" didnt the skins get rid of Bailey in his "prime" ?

WTF does that have to do w/ anything? 2 studs traded for eachother is hardly the same as a DT (possibly the hardest position to find in the league) getting tossed out on his ass.

Here is the comment you missed.

dogfish
01-24-2008, 06:38 PM

what?

trading one star player for another is an awfully far cry from simply cutting them! you're reaching. . . ;)

EMB6903
01-24-2008, 06:49 PM
OK...I'm gonna say this one more time. Read it slowly this time. Justin Harrell is a rookie. His recent history includes his college career. During his college career he showed that he is a great teammate and willing to sacrifice his own personal well being fo the sake of the team. He is a top 20 talent who will be starting in Green bay next year. Green Bay was just in the NFC Title game. Shaun Rodgers has a lot of skills, but chooses not to utilize them on a consistent basis. He doesn't work hard and is always winded halfway thru the 3rd quarter. He is THEN a liability...as good as he should be, it isn't demonstrated in his play after halftime and late in the season. he is being CUT by one of the worst franchises in the sport...but I;m sure you know better than NFL executives.

Give me the great teammate w/ a promising future who has shown he'll go to war for the name on the front of the jersey over a guy who mails it in cuz he can't lay off the Burger King.

do you realize how many bust's there have been at the defensive tackle position?

1.Gerrard Warren
2. Wendell Bryant
3.Ryan Sims
4.Johnathon Sulivan
5.Jimmy Kennedy
6.William Joseph
7.Damaine Lewis
8.Ryan Pickett
9.Marcus Tubbs
10.Travis Johnson

Those are just Defensive Tackles from 00-05 who have been 1st round busts.. but have high hopes for Harrell, Im sure hes a great team player! Ill go for a guy who gives me production any day to a guy who is a better teammate, that has a "PROMISING FUTURE"

EMB6903
01-24-2008, 06:51 PM
what?

trading one star player for another is an awfully far cry from simply cutting them! you're reaching. . . ;)

so how do you know if Lions wont get a solid player in return for rogers? I was just proving a point because you said teams dont trade players in there primes, that isnt reaching, just proving you wrong. I doubt Rogers will be Cut.. they will get something in return for him.

why does Smilin get so angry? hes like a kiddo.

dogfish
01-24-2008, 07:08 PM
so how do you know if Lions wont get a solid player in return for rogers? I was just proving a point because you said teams dont trade players in there primes, that isnt reaching, just proving you wrong. I doubt Rogers will be Cut.. they will get something in return for him.

i never said teams don't TRADE star players in their prime-- i said they don't just dump them. . . big difference between trading and getting something good in return, and actually paying to get rid of a guy, which is exactly what they'd be doing if they release rogers. . . my initial quote was this:

anyways, i'm not gonna argue any more-- it's your opinion, and you're as entitled to it as i am to mine. . . i've read in multiple publications, including the PFW clip that i provided, that the team felt rogers quit on them down the stretch-- if you don't believe that's actually the case, no big deal. . .

SmilinAssasSin27
01-24-2008, 07:11 PM
do you realize how many bust's there have been at the defensive tackle position?

1.Gerrard Warren
2. Wendell Bryant
3.Ryan Sims
4.Johnathon Sulivan
5.Jimmy Kennedy
6.William Joseph
7.Damaine Lewis
8.Ryan Pickett
9.Marcus Tubbs
10.Travis Johnson

Those are just Defensive Tackles from 00-05 who have been 1st round busts.. but have high hopes for Harrell, Im sure hes a great team player! Ill go for a guy who gives me production any day to a guy who is a better teammate, that has a "PROMISING FUTURE"

You are basically supporting my argument that DTs are hard to come by...yet Detroit is still willing to kick him to the curb.

Also, it does say a lot that your only real disagreement against my list is about Harrell. Our opinions may differ, and that's fine, but if SR is that good, why don't you have arguments against the other 4?

EMB6903
01-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Well Im glad you dont run to namecallin like your boy Smilin does, and you make some good points, but who says Detriot is gonna dump Shaun Rogers?

EMB6903
01-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Smilin, when did you say DT's are hard to come by? I was showing you that because you have such high hopes for a top 20 player in Justin Harrell who has done jack **** in the NFL. I was proving my point, not yours.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Well Im glad you dont run to namecallin like your boy Smilin does, and you make some good points, but who says Detriot is gonna dump Shaun Rogers?

Sporting News Radio

ESPN

other national media outlets

SmilinAssasSin27
01-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Smilin, when did you say DT's are hard to come by? I was showing you that because you have such high hopes for a top 20 player in Justin Harrell who has done jack **** in the NFL. I was proving my point, not yours.

Not really...it remains to be seen how he'll do, but the fact he sacrifices for his team and is making Corey Williams expendable, tells me that GB likes what they see so far. Reports are that GB will let Williams walk in FA because they feel comfortable at that position. That is a championship caliber team who shut down one of the league's best runners (look at yards per game played) in a game where the conditions were most condusive for running the ball. Meanwhile, an awful team is tossing their "superstar" to the side w/ absolutely nobody noteworthy to fill his spot.

EMB6903
01-24-2008, 07:22 PM
You are basically supporting my argument that DTs are hard to come by...yet Detroit is still willing to kick him to the curb.

Also, it does say a lot that your only real disagreement against my list is about Harrell. Our opinions may differ, and that's fine, but if SR is that good, why don't you have arguments against the other 4?

what other 4? pat Williams, Kevin Williams and Harris?? I think Pat Williams and Tommie Harris are better then Shaun Rogers, I dont think Kevin Or Corey Williams are, none of these players had to go through as many Double teams as Shaun Rogers did either, Corey has KGB and Aaran Kampman on that Dline, Kevin and Pat have eachother. and Harris has a great all around dline around him, who does Shaun Rogers have again?

thats what makes his Numbers stand out even more, dude had no support on the dline and still managed to dominate.

Lonestar
01-24-2008, 07:23 PM

consistently?

SmilinAssasSin27
01-24-2008, 07:24 PM
WTF does that have to do w/ anything? 2 studs traded for eachother is hardly the same as a DT (possibly the hardest position to find in the league) getting tossed out on his ass.

Here is the comment you missed

EMB6903
01-24-2008, 07:25 PM
I would say having productive Numbers 10-16 games you played in is pretty consistant, but like I said earlier, Judging a DT on stats is like Judging a CB on stats.. they dont determine whether a player is productive or not.

EMB6903
01-24-2008, 07:27 PM

Here is the comment you missed

No I actually caught that line, which is why I said taking a Unworthy Justin Harrell who has proved nothing in this league over a veteran who has proven himself and is younger then 30 years old is Foolish.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-24-2008, 07:28 PM
what other 4? pat Williams, Kevin Williams and Harris?? I think Pat Williams and Tommie Harris are better then Shaun Rogers, I dont think Kevin Or Corey Williams are, none of these players had to go through as many Double teams as Shaun Rogers did either, Corey has KGB and Aaran Kampman on that Dline, Kevin and Pat have eachother. and Harris has a great all around dline around him, who does Shaun Rogers have again?

thats what makes his Numbers stand out even more, dude had no support on the dline and still managed to dominate.

what numbers? You yourself said numbers don't matter for a DT. However, Ryan Pickett, who wasn't even mentioned yet has at least 3 seasons w/ above 80 tackles...and 115 in 2005. THOSE ARE STATS.

Valid point about double teames, etc, but he still gave up on his team and was basically worthless during the most crucial stretch of the season. You'd think he'd thrive on taking the team on his back and willing them into the playoffs like he seemded to vs Denver. He just didn't. he went the other way. Again, not agruing SR's talent, I simply would prefer others due to their CONSISTENT effort and production

SmilinAssasSin27
01-24-2008, 07:30 PM
[QUOTE=SmilinAssasSin27;114117]

No I actually caught that line, which is why I said taking a Unworthy Justin Harrell who has proved nothing in this league over a veteran who has proven himself and is younger then 30 years old is Foolish.

If ya caught that line, why would ya say ye didn't?

And as far as proven himself...if proving his worthlessness when his team needed him most during a final push to a potential playoff run is proving himself, no thanx.

EMB6903
01-24-2008, 07:30 PM
i never said teams don't TRADE star players in their prime-- i said they don't just dump them. . . big difference between trading and getting something good in return, and actually paying to get rid of a guy, which is exactly what they'd be doing if they release rogers. . . my initial quote was this:

anyways, i'm not gonna argue any more-- it's your opinion, and you're as entitled to it as i am to mine. . . i've read in multiple publications, including the PFW clip that i provided, that the team felt rogers quit on them down the stretch-- if you don't believe that's actually the case, no big deal. . .

what about the Oakland Raiders last year with the Randy Moss situation??? sure benifeted for the Patriots right?

SmilinAssasSin27
01-24-2008, 07:33 PM
what about the Oakland Raiders last year with the Randy Moss situation??? sure benifeted for the Patriots right?

Valid point...but let's be honest. When have the Raiders ever done anything that made sense?

EMB6903
01-24-2008, 07:37 PM
when have the lions done anything that have made sense?

SmilinAssasSin27
01-24-2008, 07:39 PM
And also...how many offers did Moss have? How big is his new deal? It worked out well for HIM and kudos where they are due, the rest of the league still stayed away. It was zero risk for NE so they took a shot. I said I'd like Denver to do the same w/ SR. I'd love to have him...if he's cheap...and if we rotate him to keep him fresh.

If I'm paying real cash for a DT (and DTs are one of the highest paid groups), I want one that will earn his check every play of every game.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-24-2008, 07:41 PM
when have the lions done anything that have made sense?

when they announced they were likely to dump Rogers.

EMB6903
01-24-2008, 07:48 PM
I just think 01-07 with a Horrible franchise will give you a lack of motivation, maybe he needs new light to get that extra motivation to dominate every snap? I think Marcus Thomas would dominate right next to Shaun Rogers though.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-24-2008, 07:51 PM
I just think 01-07 with a Horrible franchise will give you a lack of motivation, maybe he needs new light to get that extra motivation to dominate every snap? I think Marcus Thomas would dominate right next to Shaun Rogers though.

I would agree with that if his team wasn't FINALLY so close. They were on their way, dude. After we left the Ford Field that day, I was like "WOW...finally they are for real." And they wentr straight in the crapper. Now he was not completely to blame, but I would expect more from a stud like him who was so close to finally getting his team over the hump.

EMB6903
01-24-2008, 07:54 PM
I think the offense slowing down was more to blame then anything, THat offense started out very good, then slowed down after the beating they gave us.

Lonestar
01-24-2008, 07:57 PM
And also...how many offers did Moss have? How big is his new deal? It worked out well for HIM and kudos where they are due, the rest of the league still stayed away. It was zero risk for NE so they took a shot. I said I'd like Denver to do the same w/ SR. I'd love to have him...if he's cheap...and if we rotate him to keep him fresh.

If I'm paying real cash for a DT (and DTs are one of the highest paid groups), I want one that will earn his check every play of every game.

Pay him for production period cheap contract with lots of incentives.. 5BIG Macs for every sack.. that should keep him motivated..

Lonestar
01-24-2008, 07:59 PM

so leaving one horrible franchise going to another will make him pay harder. You either have it or you don't Looks to me like he does not have that fire..

mopatt24
01-24-2008, 08:03 PM
I think either way he would be an upgrade over what we have. Dumervil was the man every team had to game plan against ( not like they were able to stop him ) but adding someone like Rogers to that line would be great for Dr. Doom, and the emergence of Marcus Thomas

EMB6903
01-24-2008, 08:06 PM
Pay him for production period cheap contract with lots of incentives.. 5BIG Macs for every sack.. that should keep him motivated..

he played like a top 10 DT as far as production goes, if we paid him by his production, it wouldnt be cheap.

EMB6903
01-24-2008, 08:07 PM
so leaving one horrible franchise going to another will make him pay harder. You either have it or you don't Looks to me like he does not have that fire..

Im sorry, Denver hasnt been a horrible franchise since the 1960's,

Traveler
01-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Lions DT Rogers to Broncos?

The Lions' two options are to trade or release Shaun Rogers if they decide not to bring him back for an eighth season in Detroit. Coach Rod Marinelli, who has expressed his disappointment in Rogers' performance, did little to quash speculation Wednesday. Nothing is imminent with Rogers. If he's traded, it likely will be just before the NFL draft, April 26-27. The Lions would do well to get a mid-round draft pick, perhaps as high as the third round. The Denver Broncos are looking for defensive linemen. -- Detroit News

Lonestar
01-24-2008, 09:37 PM
he played like a top 10 DT as far as production goes, if we paid him by his production, it wouldn't be cheap.

it would be worth the Mac Donald franchise..:laugh:

If he can consistently come in with 10+ sacks a year and bucket load of harassments and some forced fumbles, 65+ tackles and even more RB tackles in the backfield I do not care about spending money.

I do not think anyone would..

Lonestar
01-24-2008, 09:41 PM
Im sorry, Denver hasnt been a horrible franchise since the 1960's,

I'd been to every game from day one 1960 till 1979 when I moved out of state except when I was on active duty..

Please do not tell me about horrible franchises.. Till the mid 70's (77) overall they sucked.. They got lucky then and only after Pat bought the team has this franchise been more than mediocre..

I've spent more time in the Mile High piss line than most of the kids on here ahve been alive..

SmilinAssasSin27
01-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Lions DT Rogers to Broncos?

The Lions' two options are to trade or release Shaun Rogers if they decide not to bring him back for an eighth season in Detroit. Coach Rod Marinelli, who has expressed his disappointment in Rogers' performance, did little to quash speculation Wednesday. Nothing is imminent with Rogers. If he's traded, it likely will be just before the NFL draft, April 26-27. The Lions would do well to get a mid-round draft pick, perhaps as high as the third round. The Denver Broncos are looking for defensive linemen. -- Detroit News

I'd easily give up a 4th if we didn't have to pay his current salary. I dunno what part we'd be responsible for, but if the numbers worked...welcome to Denver SR. Now please try to get yer ass in shape this year. The DT crop isn't very good in the draft this year. IF the money is reasonable, it'd be like Moss last year...low risk.

EMB6903
01-25-2008, 02:33 PM
I think a 4th would get him out of Detriot, there will be a lot of teams offering though.

EMB6903
01-25-2008, 02:34 PM
it would be worth the Mac Donald franchise..:laugh:

If he can consistently come in with 10+ sacks a year and bucket load of harassments and some forced fumbles, 65+ tackles and even more RB tackles in the backfield I do not care about spending money.

I do not think anyone would..

what Defensive tackle has ever done this? Warren Sapp in his prime?

MOtorboat
01-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Why would we give up a fourth-round draft pick for a guy who could probably be cut? Doesn't seem like a very smart move to me.

BOSSHOGG30
01-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Cowboys | Team may be interested in Walker if he is let go
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:12:20 -0800

Calvin Watkins, of The Dallas Morning News, reports the Dallas Cowboys may be interested in Denver Broncos WR Javon Walker if the Broncos do not pick up his $3.5 million roster bonus.

MHCBill
01-25-2008, 03:25 PM
Please no Shaun Rogers...

DT's are the most under-productive players in relationship to big pay days.

Name one great DT that left his original team and maintained his Pro-bowl caliber play somewhere else.

DT's need drafted and groomed. Do not waste the money!!!

dogfish
01-25-2008, 03:37 PM

Name one great DT that left his original team and maintained his Pro-bowl caliber play somewhere else.

pat williams is the first off the top of my head. . .

EDIT: it's hard to name many, though-- name many great DTs that leave their original teams before they're old and washed up, period. . . most teams don't let great DTs go, and if they do there's probably a very good reason. . .

atwater27
01-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Bring in Rogers. It's bound to work one of these times.

MHCBill
01-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Bring in Rogers. It's bound to work one of these times.You sound like a liberal requesting more money for public education.

atwater27
01-25-2008, 04:34 PM
The only way we will be able to get a good defensive line is to take chances. Because it's not like any of the top tier D-lineman in the draft are going to drop down to us.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Why would we give up a fourth-round draft pick for a guy who could probably be cut? Doesn't seem like a very smart move to me.

IF he's not cut by draft day, he's not likely to be cut...besides, if ya want someone, why get in a bidding war w/ someone else whose Dline is as bad as ours. If ya trade for him, he's yours outright...again, for the right price.

EMB6903
01-25-2008, 07:28 PM
pat williams is the first off the top of my head. . .

EDIT: it's hard to name many, though-- name many great DTs that leave their original teams before they're old and washed up, period. . . most teams don't let great DTs go, and if they do there's probably a very good reason. . .

this is the Detriot Lions franchise we are talking about

Lonestar
01-25-2008, 08:05 PM
IF he's not cut by draft day, he's not likely to be cut...besides, if ya want someone, why get in a bidding war w/ someone else whose Dline is as bad as ours. If ya trade for him, he's yours outright...again, for the right price.

that is the $64 million dollar question.. He he can be had for a 4th go for the gusto because most likely unless mikey gets a OLINE guy there,
they are TC fodder any way..
Prior to 2005 here are our 4ths:
2004 none
4 108 Quentin Griffin RB Oklahoma
4 114 Nick Eason DT Clemson
4 128 Bryant McNeal DE Clemson
4 131 Sam Brandon DB Nevada-Las Vegas
4 113 Ben Hamilton C Minnesota
4 120 Nick Harris P California
4 101 Jerry Johnson DT Florida State
4 112 Cooper Carlisle G Florida
4 127 Olandis Gary RB Georgia
4 122 Curtis Alexander -- Alabama
4 124 Cory Gilliard DB Ball State
4 100 Jeff Lewis QB Northern Arizona
4 122 Darrius Johnson DB Oklahoma
4 121 Jamie Brown T Florida A&M
4 124 Ken Brown LB Virginia Tech

A real stellar list of names

EMB6903
01-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Jr- do you say anything positive on this board, do you have mikes kid or something?

whats the deal?

Lonestar
01-25-2008, 11:19 PM
Jr- do you say anything positive on this board, do you have mikes kid or something?

whats the deal?

Yep all the time..

I think mikey is a great coach.. One of the top 3 coached in the league as we speak.. Beyond that he sucks.. His DAFTING skills have been lousy at best and that is after giving him some credit for the last two.. By some I think that Dinger and Bates had a great influence on who was drafted the last two years..

I have to now wonder IF we are going to be back to DAFTING again, Without those two here to make the decisions..

His FA acquisitions have been mediocre at best in the terms of outstanding talent..

He has made a couple of trades that we have gotten the best out of. His skill at retaining good prospects on the DL has sucked..

His GM abilities suck whether he is really holding the strings of Ted.

Face it this team has been in decline since John, TD, Eddie Mac and Shanon retired..

The last two drafts have pulled his dick out of the wringer, had it not been for those two Pat IMO would have fired him after the last two years performances....

EMB6903
01-26-2008, 02:01 PM

isnt that a big need we need to fill? you think we should build through draft with a DT and possibly wait 1-2 years before production?

Lonestar
01-26-2008, 02:14 PM
isnt that a big need we need to fill? you think we should build through draft with a DT and possibly wait 1-2 years before production?

IS it as big a hole now as it was with Bates here and can a STUD come in and play right away?

If we draft a stud DT he will rotate in and out just like it has aways been since mikey came to town.. Just like Thomas did this year.. all the better IMO, since Stud DT are rarely allowed to get into FA I do not think we really have an option..

Since Stud DTs rarely get traded unless they have alot of baggage do we really need that at this time..

I personally think unless we can pick up a really good one before the draft that the Number one pick has to be DT..

If we can then number two needs to be one.. then we can get rid of some of the failed clowns we tried to play this year..

Npba900
01-26-2008, 06:31 PM

MH, I'm in agreement with your vision for our Defense! Now we just got to get the buy off from Slowick and Shanny to allow the guys you've listed to get out there and just play the DAM game! Throw all these young Defensive guys in there together and let them learn under fire. This way you find out what real talent you have and these guys can gain experience and commraderie(sp).

Let the Defensive rookies start along with the 2nd and 3rd year players who we have drafted on D and let the chips fall where they may! Also, if we can't get Phillips; Denver has to give safeties like Cargile and Rodgers an opportunity to see if they're the real deal.....and not allow them to languish out in no mans land.

DE-Crowder-275lbs. Doomerville
DE-Peterson-292lbs. Moss
DT-Thomas-315lbs.
DT-Bryant(#2)-320lbs.
WLB-Williams-242lbs.
MLB-Goff(#4)-245lbs.
SLB-Winborn-242lbs.
CB-Champ
CB-Dre
SS-Abdullah Cargile
FS-Phillips(#1) Rodgers

I would much rather see a repeat performance of our defensive front 7 play from the 2007 season, in 2008, so long as Denver committs to these guys, and put a Defensive game plan out there that suits the talents of their players!!!. Hopefully Slowick will do this and Shanny will allow it as well.

HolyDiver
01-26-2008, 06:41 PM
The only way we will be able to get a good defensive line is to take chances. Because it's not like any of the top tier D-lineman in the draft are going to drop down to us.

Alfred Willliams and Keith Traylor were gambles.............Neil Smith wasn't, but COULD have been...............Like you said, we need to take chances, but as long as it doesn't cost much. ..................I'm really liking Trevor Laws, the DT from Notre Dame. Line him up next to Thomas and we got a very nice Defensive line. I think he can be had in the second round.

silkamilkamonico
01-26-2008, 07:38 PM
DE-Crowder-275lbs. Doomerville
DE-Peterson-292lbs. Moss
DT-Thomas-315lbs.
DT-Bryant(#2)-320lbs.
WLB-Williams-242lbs.
MLB-Goff(#4)-245lbs.
SLB-Winborn-242lbs.
CB-Champ
CB-Dre
SS-Abdullah Cargile
FS-Phillips(#1) Rodgers

That would be a great start to building something long term, but I don't even see that as being a top 20 defense in the NFl next year.

I think it's going to be another struggle and disappointing year for Denver but at least we'll start building something long term, hopefully.

Npba900
01-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Alfred Willliams and Keith Traylor were gambles.............Neil Smith wasn't, but COULD have been...............Like you said, we need to take chances, but as long as it doesn't cost much. ..................I'm really liking Trevor Laws, the DT from Notre Dame. Line him up next to Thomas and we got a very nice Defensive line. I think he can be had in the second round.

Laws would be an excellent fit for a team like ours. I was impressived with his relentless motor and perseverance on every play.

Stargazer
01-27-2008, 01:33 AM
I think it's going to be another struggle and disappointing year for Denver but at least we'll start building something long term, hopefully.

It most likely will be with the current rebuilding of the defense. Hopefully fans aren't expecting too much from this defense next season.

Lonestar
01-27-2008, 02:20 AM
It most likely will be with the current rebuilding of the defense. Hopefully fans aren't expecting too much from this defense next season.

of course they will they always do..

dogfish
01-27-2008, 03:50 AM

is expecting a top 30 defense too much?

not if we actually add a competent NFL defensive tackle. . . .

otherwise, yea, maybe so. . . .

but hey, our offense is "only one WR away from being dominant". . .. (minus 4 or 5 quality O-linemen, but don't tell the maddenites and the dreamers!)

whoever the girl in the sig is, she doesn't compare to some of the others you've sported. . . .

HolyDiver
01-28-2008, 10:52 AM
Laws would be an excellent fit for a team like ours. I was impressived with his relentless motor and perseverance on every play.

He's not the sexy pick like Dorsey or Ellis..............He'll be there for our 2nd round pick................Take Phillips in the 1st and Laws in the 2nd...............And we just made our Defense 10 times better. Silva will be waiting in the 4th.................Now, we have our starting Defesive line and Safeties for several years........DJ is only 25, remarkably, even though he's played 4 years in the NFL.............Now if it really went down like this, we are a Linebacker or two away from having a talented Defense......Champ and Bly are good for only 3 more seasons, more than likely. Both right at 30.

CoachChaz
01-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Is it a requirement to have another DT of high draft caliber in order to have a good defense? I think the youth we already have on the roster would more than suffice up front if used properly. I just don't see the need to draft another DT very early.

Lonestar
01-28-2008, 11:07 AM
He's not the sexy pick like Dorsey or Ellis..............He'll be there for our 2nd round pick................Take Phillips in the 1st and Laws in the 2nd...............And we just made our Defense 10 times better. Silva will be waiting in the 4th.................Now, we have our starting Defesive line and Safeties for several years........DJ is only 25, remarkably, even though he's played 4 years in the NFL.............Now if it really went down like this, we are a Linebacker or two away from having a talented Defense......Champ and Bly are good for only 3 more seasons, more than likely. Both right at 30.

Many CBs play well into the MID to LATE 30's, although they may lose a step they have the experience factor to gets them by. CB is more of a finesse position than say safety, and a wiley old vet over there that has the advantage over WRs most of the time.

Taking the coverage time away from the QB-WRs, by putting heat on them with a great DL and LB core makes up for a bit of speed.

You win and lose games in the trench's. Having great CB's and Safeties are a blessing not a necessity.

Look at the NYGs their DB's are by far mediocre at best..

MHCBill
01-28-2008, 11:18 AM
2009, not 2008 should be the target.

We need to change the style of defense from last year. (everyone agrees with that) Attack the offense with a penetrate and pursue scheme.

Add some more youth from the draft and let these new players come toghether (not gel) and learn under fire.

We will be better for it in '09 and throughout the forseeable future.

It all hinges on continuing to draft well... (i.e. '05, '06, and '07)

Lonestar
01-28-2008, 11:23 AM

We need to change the style of defense from last year. (everyone agrees with that) Attack the offense with a penetrate and pursue scheme.

Add some more youth from the draft and let these new players come toghether (not gel) and learn under fire.

The target should indeed be 2009, BUT the fans in DEN expect perfection every year.. Any thing they accomplish in 2008 will be gravy..

Remember they have to have a home run in the 2008 draft and off season. 3 great drafts in a row seem to be out of character for mikey.. Especially since both Dinger and Bates are gone..

MHCBill
01-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Agree, another good draft this year is really paramount.

However, the good news is that two positions where we desperately need some help (LB and OT) have very good depth.

Adding the youth and changing our defensive philosophy will go along way. As well as overall coaching, play-calling, and player exectution.

Lastly, the fans, the organization, and Shanahan have collectively set the team back the last year or two going for Super Bowl or bust. We all were too short-sighted and now the last two seasons made us pay for it. I think they've begun to see the errors in their ways and we are turning the ship around. We're not there yet, but another very good draft and the right free agent here or there should have us back by 2009.

Lonestar
01-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Agree, another good draft this year is really paramount.

However, the good news is that two positions where we desperately need some help (LB and OT) have very good depth.

Adding the youth and changing our defensive philosophy will go along way. As well as overall coaching, play-calling, and player exectution.

Lastly, the fans, the organization, and Shanahan have collectively set the team back the last year or two going for Super Bowl or bust. We all were too short-sighted and now the last two seasons made us pay for it. I think they've begun to see the errors in their ways and we are turning the ship around. We're not there yet, but another very good draft and the right free agent here or there should have us back by 2009.

Also remember that any play that said rookies get in preseason as well as early in the year can pay huge dividends late in the year..

Also We had ONE year away from the normal blitzkrieg attack mode we have played for the past 5-6 years.. It really only affects the rookie from last year.. And most of them have played that style before in college or as pros..

We could very easily lose a few at the beginning of the year only to come on strong and win via wild card..

Italianmobstr7
01-28-2008, 11:42 AM

You've been a Bronco fan for years. You know as well as anyone else, that Shanahan doesn't BUILD FOR THE FUTURE. He wants to win NOW. 9798 said it best when he said that the NFL is a 1 year adventure. Yeah, you have to have good drafts, but every year the goal should be to go to the Super Bowl, otherwise we're watching the wrong team, and the wrong game. I believe that Denver can be contenders again THIS year. They need to do well in the draft and Free Agency, but anything can happen. No one predicted that the Giants would be in the Super Bowl this year. No one predicted that both of the teams that were in the NFC Championship last year would both MISS the playoffs, and no one thought that the Packers had a chance to win the NFC North, much less go to the playoffs. A lot has to do with injuries, and a lot last year had to do w/ the new defense. With a year under some of our DL belts, our Dline should be better this year, especially if we can get a good DT to go along w/ Thomas. I won't be surprised if Denver struggles again next year, but if you think that Shanny isn't going to be aggressive in FA, or the draft, think again. Shanahan wants another Super Bowl, and he wants it in 08.

MHCBill
01-28-2008, 11:47 AM
One point missed though... I don't want the Broncos to be a one and done team like the Saints, Bears, Packers, etc.

Going for broke year after year is great and should be kept in mind, but you better do everything right. Draft, free agent signings, play-calling, coaching, player exectution.

I want the Broncos to be rebuilt for the long-haul.

Sure, Denver has just as good a chance as anyone to be in the playoffs next year and make a strong run. However, the long term goal is done with good drafts and the right free agents signed.

There's a difference between probable and possible. We possibly could win the Super Bowl next year, but probably not.

Italianmobstr7
01-28-2008, 11:50 AM
One point missed though... I don't want the Broncos to be a one and done team like the Saints, Bears, Packers, etc.

Going for broke year after year is great and should be kept in mind, but you better do everything right. Draft, free agent signings, play-calling, coaching, player exectution.

I want the Broncos to be rebuilt for the long-haul.

Sure, Denver has just as good a chance as anyone to be in the playoffs next year and make a strong run. However, the long term goal is done with good drafts and the right free agents signed.

There's a difference between probable and possible. We possibly could win the Super Bowl next year, but probably not.

I know that's waht you want, but what I'm saying is don't get your hopes up. Shanny is always a go big or go home type of coach. He always has been. Why would this year be any different than the first 13? It won't. Every Bronco fan wants Denver built for the long haul, and I believe that they will be, but they will also be built to win THIS year, and not built to be okay this year, and great the next year.

MHCBill
01-28-2008, 11:57 AM
Again, I'm hoping that Shanny looks at the results from the last two years and thinks about what mistakes were made that produced those two seasons.

Italianmobstr7
01-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Again, I'm hoping that Shanny looks at the results from the last two years and thinks about what mistakes were made that produced those two seasons.

And again, not going to happen. It never has before, it's not going to start now. Shanny is going to do what he can in free agency and the draft to win THIS year. Not try and build for the future. It's not his style. Never has been, and never will be.

MHCBill
01-28-2008, 12:05 PM
We'll see, but if you've read any recent quotes it does not sound like the Broncos will be players in this year's free agent market.

Why do you think they won't be Mobster?

Italianmobstr7
01-28-2008, 12:12 PM
We'll see, but if you've read any recent quotes it does not sound like the Broncos will be players in this year's free agent market.

Why do you think they won't be Mobster?

I think that they will be. I think that we have cap room, more so this year than last. I believe that we will pick up at least 3 FA's, and probably at least 1 substantial one. Whether it be a LB, S, Ol, or Dl, I think that we're getting at least one stud.

MHCBill
01-28-2008, 12:23 PM
I don't.

We shall see.

Italianmobstr7
01-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Yep. All we can do is wait. You know what the good thing is Bill? All of us fans want the same thing, just in different ways. I know you want to win THIS Year just as much as anyone else. I know that you wouldn't be mad if we were good, you would just rather be good consistently down the road, then put it all out there this year, and crumble the next. Hopefully we can both get what we want, and Denver can be very good this year, and be built for the future.

CoachChaz
01-28-2008, 01:13 PM
If the only one we signed was Lance Briggs, i'd be happy. I think we can find impact starters in the draft at OT and S and create a team that will be successful this year and beyond. To me...the two go hand in hand.

Lonestar
01-28-2008, 02:50 PM
And again, not going to happen. It never has before, it's not going to start now. Shanny is going to do what he can in free agency and the draft to win THIS year. Not try and build for the future. It's not his style. Never has been, and never will be.

I think that Pat is having a bigger say in the operations of player personnel.. and he stated we are going with draft choices and Far fewer FA..

He has seen what a couple of quality drafts can do for the bottom line as well as the future of the team.

I do not think mikey is going to go all out for less than BLUE CHIP FA's, he has been kicked in the groin with a lot of them.. Thenry, walker, gardner, gold, carter, alexander, rice X2. and there are more.. most of them unproductive with high dollar contracts..

Mikeys magic is coaching not making personnel decisions IMO..

Skinny
01-28-2008, 05:21 PM
From a article yesterday ...
The Broncos have used free agency more extensively than a lot of teams in building their club. Bowlen said his team will be more careful in free agency in the future.

“The lesson in free agency is slowly being learned,” Bowlen said. “And I think that we probably learned it as much as anybody. . . . That’s for all teams, sort of leveling off now, saying, ‘Just a minute, our payrolls are over the top, we’re taking bigger risks than we thought with some guys and we’ve got to be a lot more vigilant in how we do it.’ ” Link (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/261645.html#)

BOSSHOGG30
01-29-2008, 09:54 AM
The Broncos reportedly hope to keep Travis Henry in 2008, and use him as a bruising complement to Selvin Young.

Henry, a cap casualty candidate this offseason, says he wants to "make it right" with the Broncos. "I want to be a Bronco. I don't want to be anywhere else," he said. Henry regrets letting a promising start to 2007 (he led the NFL in rushing through one month) become a mess due to injuries and an alleged positive drug test. He'll likely need to take a pay cut to stay.

turftoad
01-29-2008, 10:39 AM
The Broncos reportedly hope to keep Travis Henry in 2008, and use him as a bruising complement to Selvin Young.

Henry, a cap casualty candidate this offseason, says he wants to "make it right" with the Broncos. "I want to be a Bronco. I don't want to be anywhere else," he said. Henry regrets letting a promising start to 2007 (he led the NFL in rushing through one month) become a mess due to injuries and an alleged positive drug test. He'll likely need to take a pay cut to stay.

I guess we'll get to see how "Right" he wants it to be. I'm all for this if he takes a pay cut. It lessens our need to draft or bring in a RB letting us concentrate on our defensive needs.

He did lead the league in rushing yards before he got hurt.

pnbronco
01-29-2008, 10:58 AM
I think that Pat is having a bigger say in the operations of player personnel.. and he stated we are going with draft choices and Far fewer FA..

He has seen what a couple of quality drafts can do for the bottom line as well as the future of the team.

I do not think mikey is going to go all out for less than BLUE CHIP FA's, he has been kicked in the groin with a lot of them.. Thenry, walker, gardner, gold, carter, alexander, rice X2. and there are more.. most of them unproductive with high dollar contracts..

Mikeys magic is coaching not making personnel decisions IMO..

I totally agree with this. I heard that Pat was really upset at the second San Diego game. He has seen what results you can get with a good draft. Also this year was like a major lesson on locking into bad FA contracts. I understand that Mike wants to win this year, but Pat writes the checks and he will have the final say.

CoachChaz
01-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Wasn't it obvious to everyone last year that we paid way too much for Graham and Henry?

mclark
01-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Wasn't it obvious to everyone last year that we paid way too much for Graham and Henry?

And apparently for Rice also.

CoachChaz
01-29-2008, 11:27 AM
And apparently for Rice also.

True...but we paid Graham like he was Antonio Gates.

turftoad
01-29-2008, 12:06 PM
January 29, 2008, 01:08
Broncos :: DB

Broncos S Lynch Still Considering Retirement

Associated Press, NFL.com - [Full Article]

Denver Broncos safety John Lynch said on Monday that he is still considering whether to retire or to return and play in the 2008 season. "The answer is that I haven't made that decision yet. I'm not being evasive or anything. It's just being true with you that I haven't come to that time," Lynch said.

BOSSHOGG30
01-29-2008, 12:15 PM
January 29, 2008, 01:08
Broncos :: DB

Broncos S Lynch Still Considering Retirement

Associated Press, NFL.com - [Full Article]

Denver Broncos safety John Lynch said on Monday that he is still considering whether to retire or to return and play in the 2008 season. "The answer is that I haven't made that decision yet. I'm not being evasive or anything. It's just being true with you that I haven't come to that time," Lynch said.

I hope he retires, Unless he wants to play just for the love of the game, but that is up to him. ... I don't see the Broncos as super bowl contenders next year, they are still in the rebuilding stage, so John Lynch coming back as a player won't really effect our super bowl or playoff chances much.

dogfish
01-29-2008, 02:12 PM
The Broncos have used free agency more extensively than a lot of teams in building their club. Bowlen said his team will be more careful in free agency in the future.

“The lesson in free agency is slowly being learned,” Bowlen said. “And I think that we probably learned it as much as anybody. . . . That’s for all teams, sort of leveling off now, saying, ‘Just a minute, our payrolls are over the top, we’re taking bigger risks than we thought with some guys and we’ve got to be a lot more vigilant in how we do it.’ ”

translation: "why the hell do you keep giving piles of my money to tools like darryll gardener and simeon rice??!"

:frusty:

Lonestar
01-29-2008, 02:38 PM
translation: "why the hell do you keep giving piles of my money to tools like darryll gardener and simeon rice??!"

:frusty:

I think mikey has been pulled up short, the leash has been long in the past and now Pat wants results he has not gotten via the old way..
I think he has let it ride and suddenly the light went off on how much money has been flushed down the toilet in FA and how bad our drafts have been..

All the great teams built their teams via the draft and supplemented with FA to fill the gaps and that is what mikey did the first couple of years..

I think while he really likes Mikey, he wants a change in how it is accomplished.. now we will see if mikey can pull off a third great draft in a row..

BUT I think this is the last year we do not have a top notch GM. Ted will be let go and they will hire a NAME guy next year.. Because IMO we are going to get some dogs in the draft again, now that Dinger and Bates are gone.. Although unless he really stinks it up that number 12 should bring in a name player..

G_Money
01-29-2008, 03:51 PM

Is someone recycling their notes from December?

If Henry's gonna be here, it's gonna be at a more cap-friendly price.

If he doesn't, he won't be here. We overpaid, we finally figured that out, and we'll proceed from that vantage point.

Nothing's changed. Silly Denver Post. I know writing about Brady's stupid boot has got to be a chore, but c'mon...

~G

BOSSHOGG30
01-29-2008, 07:24 PM
PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: If true, reports that the Lions may be willing to part with DT Shaun Rogers would be welcome news for the Broncos. Denver is weak at defensive tackle and it saw firsthand what Rogers can do when he's performing at a high level during a blowout loss to Detroit in Week 9. Rogers' weight and injury history have been issues in the past, but the Broncos have never shied from reclamation projects, particularly along the front four. But it's unlikely the Broncos could swing a trade by dealing one of the extra picks they have stockpiled in Rounds 4 and 5, and they have publicly talked about espousing a draft-intensive philosophy this year, which may make the likely asking price of a Day 1 pick too rich. Denver and Detroit did, however, work out a multiplayer trade last offseason, which could be a possibility again. ...

The Broncos liked Andre Hall as a kickoff returner (when he was healthy enough to play), and Glenn Martinez was a serviceable option on punt returns. But the team almost certainly will pursue a return specialist in the draft; the Bears plucked away Devin Hester, a player the Broncos had coveted, four picks before their draft slot in the second round in 2006. If there are any close decisions between prospects in April, they could be broken based on the player's return skills.

SCOUTING REPORT: The loss of DE Ebenezer Ekuban to a season-ending torn Achilles' had a significant impact. Ekuban is stout for his position and may be the team's best run-stopping defensive end. He also has the versatility to move inside on pass-rush packages. Ekuban is expected to return by mid-May or June. His leadership should prove instrumental to a young group of linemen, many of whom are entering their second NFL seasons.

HARD TRUTH: The Broncos have too many holes at several positions -- linebacker, safety and defensive tackle for sure, and possibly running back and offensive tackle depending on offseason moves -- to jettison WR Javon Walker. His exit would not only cost the team a bundle in terms of accelerating how much of his deal would count against the salary cap, but it would force the club to find another legitimate No. 2 receiver to play behind Brandon Marshall. Brandon Stokley is a natural fit out of the slot receiver in three-wide receiver packages, but he is not a starter at this stage of his career. The rest of the receiving corps is thin. Still, the team may see Walker as a malcontent, which could prompt them to view his case as a means of addition by subtraction. Two telling points will be the meeting between Walker and coach Mike Shanahan in February, and how willing Walker is to rework his deal.
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=344092

dogfish
01-29-2008, 07:27 PM
send 'em walker for rogers-- they need more WRs, right?

Lonestar
01-29-2008, 10:41 PM
send 'em walker for rogers-- they need more WRs, right?

I was thinking thenry for rogers even up..

BeefStew25
02-01-2008, 12:12 AM
PHILADELPHIA - The Philadelphia Soul announced the signing of former NFL wide receiver Darius Watts on Thursday.
A newcomer to the AFL, Watts' career took off with his debut as the wide receiver for the Denver Broncos in 2004 and continued with the New York Giants in 2006.

During his time with the Broncos, Watts appeared in 16 regular-season games, starting twice during his rookie year. He ended that season with 31 catches for 385 yards with one touchdown. His best game that year came against Atlanta, as he had a career-high seven catches for 86 yards.

Watts was a standout wide receiver at Marshall. During his sophomore season he had 91 catches for 1,417 yards and 19 touchdowns. He followed that with 71 receptions for 1,030 yards and 12 TDs as a junior, earning first-team All-MAC honors. He ended his career with 272 catches, which was fifth-best in NCAA history at the time, for 4,031 yards and 47 touchdowns.

Lonestar
02-01-2008, 12:18 AM
PHILADELPHIA - The Philadelphia Soul announced the signing of former NFL wide receiver Darius Watts on Thursday.
A newcomer to the AFL, Watts' career took off with his debut as the wide receiver for the Denver Broncos in 2004 and continued with the New York Giants in 2006.

During his time with the Broncos, Watts appeared in 16 regular-season games, starting twice during his rookie year. He ended that season with 31 catches for 385 yards with one touchdown. His best game that year came against Atlanta, as he had a career-high seven catches for 86 yards.

Watts was a standout wide receiver at Marshall. During his sophomore season he had 91 catches for 1,417 yards and 19 touchdowns. He followed that with 71 receptions for 1,030 yards and 12 TDs as a junior, earning first-team All-MAC honors. He ended his career with 272 catches, which was fifth-best in NCAA history at the time, for 4,031 yards and 47 touchdowns.

wish him well a good kid..