PDA

View Full Version : Transformation of Kyle Orton

Tned
10-30-2009, 08:02 PM
Transformation of Kyle Orton

When I was driving home from work, the Sirius NFL guys were talking about the transformation of Kyle Orton.

I'm going by memory, so I will have these off a bit, but you will get the picture.

In Chicago, Orton was a 55% passer, in Denver a 64% passer.

In Chicago, Orton had a 75 passer rating, in Denver 100 passer rating.

In Chicago, Orton threw an INT every 32 passes, in Denver once every 192 passes.

Is it the O-line? The wide receivers? The offensive scheme? The coaching? Orton maturing as a QB?

Whatever the reason, Orton is not the same QB in Denver that he was in Chicago.

TXBRONC
10-30-2009, 08:08 PM
I think it would be all of thee above.

gnomeflinger
10-30-2009, 08:18 PM
It was the neck beard and the blood donation. He will never be the same. :tsk:

Denver Native (Carol)
10-30-2009, 10:14 PM
I definitely feel it is Coach McD - I am really impressed with him. The Broncos have done a 100% turn around, and I have to believe it starts with coaching.

frauschieze
10-30-2009, 10:14 PM
When a player is set up to succeed, given all the tools and support, if they don't improve, there is a big problem.

Kyle has mentioned that this is the first time a coach has ever truly believed in him and it's made a huge difference to him. It could be as simple as that.

BroncoInSkinland
10-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Is it the O-line? The wide receivers? The offensive scheme? The coaching? Orton maturing as a QB?

All of those, and I would add another, the team mentality. In Chicago, it was a Defense, run , and pass when you have to mentality. Very negative towards QB's contributions to the game in general. Here, it is an any way to win the game mentality. If the D needs to step up then that's how to win the game, if it's the RB's turn, run it down their throats, if it is the passing game then let Orton throw it. That has to add to your confidence, and the support from your teammates is bound to turn a few negative plays into positive ones. orton is on a better TEAM than he was last year, is it any surprise that as a result he is a better QB?

*note this is a recent change in my philosophy on the matter, I was skeptical of our off season moves, and thought Orton was a very flawed QB, but I have changed the way I think about things thanks to what I have seen on the field

Reidman
10-30-2009, 10:32 PM
It's also his 3rd full season of games started. I have watched him progress just this season alone from that first game in Cincy. Usually after a few full seasons under your belt, you begin to mature and calm down a bit and really get a grasp of the fundamentals.

Having a great bunch of wideouts never hurts either...:D

honz
10-30-2009, 10:50 PM
I think Kyle deserves a lot of credit for coming in early, staying late (according to coaches and players), and putting in so much hard work starting back in April or whenever he got here. He also deserves credit for brushing off the stupid fans booing him in a freaking scrimmage game and making them eat crow.

CrazyHorse
10-30-2009, 11:01 PM
Anyone think Orton could turn out as good as Drew Brees down the road? I know it's wishful thinking but they both had really good careers at Purdue.

DenBronx
10-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Who saw that coming??? Orton has really turned out to be a fine QB. I have zero complaints about him. He has really shocked me and most of the world. Glad we got him!

gnomeflinger
10-30-2009, 11:43 PM
Who saw that coming??? Orton has really turned out to be a fine QB. I have zero complaints about him. He has really shocked me and most of the world. Glad we got him!

I am pleasantly surprised at how well he's been doing. WTG Kyle! :salute:

scott.475
10-30-2009, 11:45 PM
I am surprised as all get out, pleasantly surprised. They definitely had him on the QB carousel in Chicago which never makes any QB look good. He is certainly more than I expected, it would appear that given the right tools and coaching he is a legitimate NFL QB. I hope he stays this way for the long run and does not become a one year wonder.

Go Kyle!

Kapaibro
10-30-2009, 11:53 PM
A friend of mine, who is a Bears fan, is gutted that Orton is doing so well!

He always thought Orton was a bit shit, and was so gloaty about getting Cutler.

DenBronx
10-31-2009, 01:27 AM
I just hope this isnt some limited time offer. Like 1 good season and it expires type of thing.

Tned
10-31-2009, 07:27 AM
When a player is set up to succeed, given all the tools and support, if they don't improve, there is a big problem.

Kyle has mentioned that this is the first time a coach has ever truly believed in him and it's made a huge difference to him. It could be as simple as that.

One of the many things McDaniels took heat about this offseason was naming Orton the starter very early in the process, rather than letting him and Simms battle all the way through TC and the preseason.

That probably goes a long way with the "believed in him" thing you mention.

Tned
10-31-2009, 07:32 AM

The only one that comes to mind is Top. He was promoting him like crazy in the offseason as much better than people thought.

Anyone think Orton could turn out as good as Drew Brees down the road? I know it's wishful thinking but they both had really good careers at Purdue.

I think we have a long way to go before that comparison could be made.

TXBRONC
10-31-2009, 07:52 AM
I just hope this isnt some limited time offer. Like 1 good season and it expires type of thing.

I know it's cliche but only time will tell; nevertheless he's proving to be a better quarterback than I thought he would be.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-31-2009, 08:34 AM
Orton now has an O-line that can pass protect and ample targets (Marshall, Royal, Stokely, Scheffler, Gaffney) to get the ball to. He also has an offensive minded HC who seems to know how to adapt his scheme to his QB's strengths as opposed to trying to make Orton do what he may not be good at.

In Chicago, their only real passing threats were Hester deep (where Orton struggles with accuracy) or short to the TEs over the middle (Olsen and Clark) where he had most of his success.

I think it's a combination of all of the things above. It's just a better offense overall that Orton is playing in now. Look at Cassell. He looked really good last year in a great offense in NE, but is struggling in KC and doesn't even look like the best QB on the roster (Croyle outplayed him in his game vs the Ravens). Orton is being utilized effectively in our scheme, much like our defensive personnel. Nobody would have thought that our defense (short of 3 or 4 guys) would be anywhere as effective as they have been this year.

It's all about scheme in the NFL. With the salary cap and CBA, most teams are pretty even on talent. Of course there are some exceptionally freakish players out there, but it really comes down to how you use the players you have and how they fit into your scheme. Does anyone doubt that Pittsburgh could take just about any LB and turn him into a "great player"? Dick Lebeau is just a great coach with a great scheme. Now, Mike Nolan is doing it with the players we have. If McD can get the offense to get rolling before the second half of the game, I have no doubt they can put up more points. They're still just adapting to his scheme.

:salute:

HORSEPOWER 56
10-31-2009, 08:39 AM
I know it's clique but only time will tell; nevertheless he's proving to be a better quarterback than I thought he would be.

cliche?

Reidman
10-31-2009, 11:30 AM
A friend of mine, who is a Bears fan, is gutted that Orton is doing so well!

He always thought Orton was a bit shit, and was so gloaty about getting Cutler.

I have a couple friends who are Bears fans and they told me just the opposite, that he would do alright in Denver and not to worry. Maybe that was to make me feel better about the trade back then. But to be honest, Orton really is doing better in this system than he ever did in Chicago...

TXBRONC
10-31-2009, 12:01 PM
When I saw the title of this thread I thought about the movie Transformers I guess because I have six-year-old son.

Kyle Orton transform and roll out. :D

Lonestar
10-31-2009, 01:27 PM
lots of reasons to be good in this system..

but mainly I think it is that attitude of the coaching staff and players..

no one is proud of how they have played and are all looking for MORE..

they all know that they have left a lot of yards on the field and point not on the score board..

I suspect that after some of the surprise wins we have had this year many would be content to ride the wave and JOSH is not allowing that to happen and they are buying into it so far..

some where down the line they are gonna ask just how perfect do we have to be before he sings their praises..

maybe after a couple more lombardis..:D

Orton is playing lights out right now lets hope it continues a long time..

ursamajor
10-31-2009, 02:10 PM
Transformation of Kyle Orton

When I was driving home from work, the Sirius NFL guys were talking about the transformation of Kyle Orton.

I'm going by memory, so I will have these off a bit, but you will get the picture.

In Chicago, Orton was a 55% passer, in Denver a 64% passer.

In Chicago, Orton had a 75 passer rating, in Denver 100 passer rating.

In Chicago, Orton threw an INT every 32 passes, in Denver once every 192 passes.

Whatever the reason, Orton is not the same QB in Denver that he was in Chicago.

The writing was on the wall that Orton was getting ready to blossom. You could see it if you watched the games.

Lonestar
10-31-2009, 02:18 PM
The writing was on the wall that Orton was getting ready to blossom. You could see it if you watched the games.

Thanks for your thoughts on this and since you have seen him longer than our so called experts I thank you for dispelling how bad they thought he would be.. :salute:

TXBRONC
10-31-2009, 04:43 PM
cliche?

I fixed it thanks for helping me out. :salute:

WARHORSE
10-31-2009, 06:28 PM
Its Steve Young in Tampa Bay vs Steve Young in San Fran.

One org was totally inept at getting the abilities of its players to show up on gameday and one was very good at it.

AND, the ability of the surrounding cast had alot to do with it as well.