PDA

View Full Version : TSN:Broncos Team Report

Skinny
01-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Posted: January 2, 2008
Lee Rasizer
For Sporting News

OFFSEASON PLANS

There's much uncertainty after one of the most disappointing seasons in years. There is one lock: The team won't stand by and take its fate quietly.

A coaching-staff shakeup is possible, most notably with defensive coordinator Jim Bates' job in jeopardy. Bob Slowik could take over as the true coordinator instead of in title only. The team must decide what it wants to be defensively, based on quickness or girth, blitzing or front-four pressure.

A major roster renovation is under way with more come, especially on defense ball. Coaches will look to upgrade the defensive line, regardless of style, one season after spending three of four picks on the front four.

Having end Ebenezer Ekuban back from a torn Achilles tendon is a start, but the team is particularly weak at defensive tackle and could use the highest first-round pick it has had under Mike Shanahan to buttress the middle.

Linebacker also will be a priority. D.J. Williams appears safe in the middle but outside men Ian Gold and Nate Webster could be replaced. Star cornerback Champ Bailey is expected to lobby for his brother, Boss, of the Detroit Lions, to join him as a free agent.

Decisions await on offense as well, especially because the line was unable to provide sufficient push in obvious run situations. Center Tom Nalen likely will return after missing a half-season with an upper arm injury. Whether left guard Ben Hamilton is back will come down to finances and his ability to return from a concussion.

The team has tried to get bigger up front and may continue that move. Tackle Ryan Harris could become a starter in his second season, but the team needs another capable tackle.

Management also must decide whether to part company with wide receiver Javon Walker and running back Travis Henry or restructure their deals. Expect kick Jason Elam to re-sign.

FINAL GRADES

Offense: C-minus. Brandon Marshall emerged as a star. Jay Cutler is a building block but yards failed to equate to points too often.

Defense: D. Lack of pressure, missed tackles, faulty gap control -- take your pick as the downfall.

Special teams: D-plus. First off-season assignment -- write 100 times: "Don't kick to Devin Hester."

Coaching: D-plus. Injuries were a major factor but can't explain moribund efforts in places like Detroit, Houston and twice against San Diego.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=332308

TXBRONC
01-02-2008, 06:53 PM
I'm glad you got this up for us Skinny.

While it's possible that Bates gets the ax I don't think he will.

Crush05
01-02-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm glad you got this up for us Skinny.

While it's possible that Bates gets the ax I don't think he will.

I disagree.....I say within a week or two bates steps down or is let go!!!