PDA

View Full Version : Which RB do YOU want?

aberdien
01-02-2008, 04:52 PM
So you're Shanny for a day, what running back do you WANT starting for the Broncos next season? Are Selvin Young, Andre Hall, and Cecil Sapp enough for you, or are you gonna give Travis Henry another shot?

MOtorboat
01-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Well, history tells us he's never satisfied with what he's got, especially at running back. Most likely, unless they get good value in a trade, Henry will be with the Broncos. His cap hit is less than what it would be if we kept him.

If Shanahan thinks its worth really getting rid of the guy and taking the cap hit, I wouldn't be surprised about that either, but there are so many pressing needs on the team, I don't think running back is going to be addressed that much. He may take a flier on a guy in the late rounds of the draft, or bring in another undrafted free agent, but I wouldn't look for big changes at the position.

Selvin Young showed signs that he could be an effective runner in Denver. IMO, he showed the best vision of any of the backs, even if he didn't show the correct decision making every time. But that can get better as time goes by. Andre Hall and Cecil Sapp are backup-type running backs.

Travis Henry is a No. 1 running back in the NFL if he can put down the ganj and stay healthy. He was a beast in the first few games, but injuries and his legal battle really took its toll. Hopefully, he can come back healthy, because a 1-2 punch with Young and Henry could be good for the Broncos. However, that all rides on fixing the offensive line, too...but that's a whole other topic for another day.

NightTrainLayne
01-02-2008, 05:18 PM
I'm happy with what we have. As MB stated, we are in good shape. If Henry goes down (for whatever reason) we have capable guys to step in and fill the role.

If Henry, by some miracle stays healthy, and drug-free, then all the better.

Broncospsycho77
01-02-2008, 05:22 PM
For the time that I saw all of the running backs, I was impressed by each and every one of them. Travis Henry gave us (for a time before injury) exactly what was advertised and led the league in rushing. Selvin Young showed the capability of being an every-down back at times, and looked to be the most consistent down-for-down back at one point. Andre Hall had a nice stint, and I love his speed. Small guys like him usually try to juke you out, but he simply outran everybody when busting through the hole, at what the Pitt game?... anyway, I was satisfied at a time with all of them.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-02-2008, 05:44 PM
TD

dang...again w/ this 10 character post rule

G_Money
01-02-2008, 05:50 PM
My assessments:

Travis - straight ahead bull-runner with a low center of gravity. Good stiff-arm, tough to bring down, runs hard, does not have a 2nd gear. When uninjured almost always scratches out positive yardage. Breaks down as the season goes on due to tough running style that welcomes hits instead of slipping them. With drug history and injury history, cannot be counted on to carry the load without decent backups (which we have). Gives good effort in pass-blocking, although with his size he's not built to be really good at it.

Selvin - bounce runner (likes to run outside), tough little runner who doesn't just fall down from arm tackles, puts his weight over his legs at awkward angles and was injured as a result. I don't expect that to change. Also no 2nd gear, should be part of a two-back backfield to succeed. Cannot crack his own hole if one is not there for him but hits the hole well when it is there. Okay at pass-blocking and has decent hands as a receiver.

Andre - quick-burst runner with low center of gravity and smooth acceleration, has good vision for the hole, another back who doesn't just fall down, has some return skills, not used much in the passing game as either a receiver or a blocker, and with his size blocking's always gonna be an issue. Situational back who also cannot make his own hole or plow forward on 3rd and short.

Guy I want to draft:

Matt Forte - tall, slippery back in the Marcus Allen mold. Good vision for the hole and good acceleration to hit it. Hard to tackle, patient, will wait for blockers before exploding once he determines his route. One cut runner, perfect for hitting the creases in the ZB system. Arm tackles do not bring him down (unlike fellow 2000 yard back Smith) and he's good in short yardage, squeezing through small holes for positive yards. Pad direction is always toward the goal line. Good student, great human being, work ethic beyond compare. Quiet leader in the Rod Smith vein Good hands, good in the open field, has blocked in both the spread and the West-Coast offense. Durability a question coming into the season, but knee injury appears to be behind him after 2000 yard campaign for a weak team where he was the horse.

Alternate: Tashard Choice (may fall due to knee injury)

Yes, in a RB group whose main concern is injury and inexperience, I want to add one of two guys with major injuries in the last couple of years.

But both can take advantage of the style of running game we employ, both are used to carrying the load, and either could turn into a 1500 yard back for this offense.

If that isn't for 2 years because they have to split time with Travis Henry, fine. I'd rather get a real running back in here in case Travis gets broken or drugged up again. Young and Hall both look adequate, but that's what they are - adequate.

And the whole offense is atrocious in short-yardage situations. That can't continue. 2 and a half quarters of offense can't cut it. When we need to run the clock out we have to be able to do that.

And I'd add the guy to do it if it's feasible to do so.

~G

underrated29
01-02-2008, 05:53 PM
I would go henry full throttle. I still think everyone is down on him from his lack of being in the light. But i think next year when he is healthy he will be top 5 in rushers. I know its hard to say now, but that man with a decent line infront of him, and a few offensive possesions since the defense usually controls the time of possesion will dominate. He breaks tackles so well and has a great stiff arm that i was unaware of. If the line could ever open up a few holes for him i would like to see him in open space with some speed. It seems like he was never able to quite get to daylight. (for now i blame it on the oline;)).

After travis i would go with hall. I think he is more powerful than young and obviously faster than all 3. However, i do like youngs vision and catching ability so its not that big of a disappointment if hall is 3.

MileHighWrath
01-02-2008, 06:26 PM
If I'm Shanny I'm concentrating on D & O lines, safety and LB this off season (in that order). RB position is fine with Henry, Young & Hall.

slim
01-02-2008, 06:28 PM
G - what's your take on Mendenall?

D1g1tal j1m
01-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Keep Henry as the starter next year. He has proven that he is a no. 1 caliber back when healthy. I hope he isn't too brain dead from the grass to try to smoke it again this off-season. Young was good, but I didn't get the sense that he can be a no. 1 back. He is an excellent backup and spot starter in this league, but I don't think he can take a full season of pounding.

Hall and Sapp are expendable NFL player. No tear will be shed for them if they are not here next year.

We should draft a FB to help out Henry and Young in the running attack. They should draft Payton Hillis from Arkansas in the late rounds of the upcoming draft.

A predraft breakdown of him from Hillis (http://walterfootball.com/draft2008FB.php)

Peyton Hillis, Arkansas
Height: 6-2. Weight: 240.
40 Time: 4.78.
Projected Round: 4.
Blocks for Darren McFadden and Felix Jones. 'Nuff said. Also important to note that he caught 19 passes in 2006.

A fullback who blocks and can catch the occasional ball out of the backfield sounds like old 'Griff to me.

G_Money
01-02-2008, 06:42 PM
An honest to God fullback would be nice.

Not counting on it, since Shanny seems to have forgotten how to use them, but I like Dionte Johnson as a possibility. Draft sites seem to have forgotten him, I guess - probably because all he does is block like a freight train.

That Felton kid from Furman is also interesting. Big back who can block, run and catch. He's pretty nasty, and might solve our short yardage problem. And there's always Owen Schmitt, the mandhandler for WVU. Man, there are some fullbacks I wouldn't mind in the later rounds...

~G

MOtorboat
01-02-2008, 07:06 PM
An honest to God fullback would be nice.

Not counting on it, since Shanny seems to have forgotten how to use them, but I like Dionte Johnson as a possibility. Draft sites seem to have forgotten him, I guess - probably because all he does is block like a freight train.

That Felton kid from Furman is also interesting. Big back who can block, run and catch. He's pretty nasty, and might solve our short yardage problem. And there's always Owen Schmitt, the mandhandler for WVU. Man, there are some fullbacks I wouldn't mind in the later rounds...

~G

Owen Schmitt

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/fb/owenschmitt.html

Strengths:
Has good size and a solid frame...Really tough, strong and powerful...Outstanding blocker...Runs hard and is a load to bring down..Has good hands and runs decent routes...Effective in short yardage situations..Hard worker and a true team player.

Weaknesses:
Is not a great natural athlete...Speed and quickness are just average at best...Is not real elusive and offers very little in space...Needs to take a little better care of the football...Isn't a big play threat...Will play too high at times...Upside is limited.

Notes:
Began his college career at Division 3 Wisconsin-River Falls and then sat out in '04 after transferring...A monster in the weight room...What you see is what you get with this guy...A classic throwback with excellent intangibles who isn't necessarily one-dimensional but will definitely earn his paycheck as a lead blocker in the pros.

Scouts Inc.

Strengths: Possesses prototypical NFL fullback size with good height and excellent bulk. Is well-proportioned with excellent upper and lower body strength. Possesses outstanding straight-line speed for his size. Shows a second-gear in the open field and can be a punishing runner for DB's to bring down once he gets a head of steam. He has a great feel for the passing game for a FB. Understands his routes and shows soft hands as a receiver. Can adjust to the poorly thrown ball. Displays very good awareness as a blocker  both run and pass. Generally gets in good position and shows the foot quickness to consistently reach his blocks on the second-level as a run blocker. Ideal intangibles. Hard working and extremely coachable. He picks up new schemes quickly and has spent some time in spring of 2007 working at tight end. He gives a great effort in the weight room and has freakish strength. Has been mostly durable throughout his career and has shown great toughness playing through knee and ankle injuries in the past.

Weaknesses: Needs to play with better overall leverage. Enters the phone booth too high and loses some of his power as a result. Runs a bit high at times and isn't as powerful as he should be for a runner with his size and strength. Has good speed on a straight-line but doesn't display much wiggle as a runner. Won't make many defenders miss in space. He has had some fumbling issues in the past and must do a better job of protecting the football.

Overall: Schmitt originally attended Wisconsin River-Falls before transferring to West Virginia in 2004. During the past two seasons (2005-'06) he has appeared in 25 games carrying 113 times for 731 yards (6.5 average) and nine touchdowns while catching 20 passes for 167 yards (8.4 average) and one touchdown. Schmitt has deal with quad, knee, and ankle injury in the last two years but has not missed any games. Schmitt is a big, powerful fullback with outstanding straight-line speed and reliable hands for his position. He still has room to improve in terms of technique as a blocker and he'll never be the type of runner that Brian Leonard was coming out of Rutgers last season. Otherwise, Schmitt is a complete player that projects as a future starter in the NFL. Schmitt should be one of the top-two fullbacks selected in the 2008 draft, likely in the fourth-to-fifth round range.

Question is...how high is he going to go, and how high are you willing to take a fullback?

Lonestar
01-02-2008, 07:24 PM
My assessments:

Travis - straight ahead bull-runner with a low center of gravity. Good stiff-arm, tough to bring down, runs hard, does not have a 2nd gear. When uninjured almost always scratches out positive yardage. Breaks down as the season goes on due to tough running style that welcomes hits instead of slipping them. With drug history and injury history, cannot be counted on to carry the load without decent backups (which we have). Gives good effort in pass-blocking, although with his size he's not built to be really good at it.

Selvin - bounce runner (likes to run outside), tough little runner who doesn't just fall down from arm tackles, puts his weight over his legs at awkward angles and was injured as a result. I don't expect that to change. Also no 2nd gear, should be part of a two-back backfield to succeed. Cannot crack his own hole if one is not there for him but hits the hole well when it is there. Okay at pass-blocking and has decent hands as a receiver.

Andre - quick-burst runner with low center of gravity and smooth acceleration, has good vision for the hole, another back who doesn't just fall down, has some return skills, not used much in the passing game as either a receiver or a blocker, and with his size blocking's always gonna be an issue. Situational back who also cannot make his own hole or plow forward on 3rd and short.

Guy I want to draft:

Matt Forte - tall, slippery back in the Marcus Allen mold. Good vision for the hole and good acceleration to hit it. Hard to tackle, patient, will wait for blockers before exploding once he determines his route. One cut runner, perfect for hitting the creases in the ZB system. Arm tackles do not bring him down (unlike fellow 2000 yard back Smith) and he's good in short yardage, squeezing through small holes for positive yards. Pad direction is always toward the goal line. Good student, great human being, work ethic beyond compare. Quiet leader in the Rod Smith vein Good hands, good in the open field, has blocked in both the spread and the West-Coast offense. Durability a question coming into the season, but knee injury appears to be behind him after 2000 yard campaign for a weak team where he was the horse.

Yes, in a RB group whose main concern is injury and inexperience, I want to add one of two guys with major injuries in the last couple of years.

But both can take advantage of the style of running game we employ, both are used to carrying the load, and either could turn into a 1500 yard back for this offense.

If that isn't for 2 years because they have to split time with Travis Henry, fine. I'd rather get a real running back in here in case Travis gets broken or drugged up again. Young and Hall both look adequate, but that's what they are - adequate.

And the whole offense is atrocious in short-yardage situations. That can't continue. 2 and a half quarters of offense can't cut it. When we need to run the clock out we have to be able to do that.

~G

Where do you see them falling in the draft..

mclark
01-02-2008, 07:27 PM
I don't want Henry back. He was a big disappointment. Spend his money on Michael Turner, free agent, from San Diego. We need more depth at running back.

Turner
Young
Hall
Sapp

would give us a very interesting line-up for next year.

atwater27
01-02-2008, 07:32 PM
My assessments:

~G

I think you've judged these guys a little too harsh and a little too quickly. Selvin doesn't have a 2nd gear? I saw a 3rd and 4th there on a few of his runs. Maybe not a 5th, but he has more speed than 2nd gear.

I want these guys to battle it out for the starting job. Andre Hall got a tiny chance to shine and boy did he shine. He is my darkhorse to be Shanahan's shocker starter of the 08 season. But Selvin has looked great, averaging over 5 yards a carry in the process.

Bronco9798
01-02-2008, 07:38 PM
I'd keep what we have in Henry, Young, and Hall. Tell them it's open for competition and let the best man win. I think Young could turn into a very productive back. I like what I saw this year as the season progressed out of him.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-02-2008, 07:52 PM
If you want a legit FB who can block and catch, see Tennessee's TE/FB, Chris Brown 6'3" 250.

omac
01-02-2008, 08:29 PM
I smell trade bait.

As good as those 3 are, I think one of them won't be a Bronco next season. Travis is probably here to stay, because his cap implications and his injuries won't make him as covetable. Either Young or Hall will get traded. Hopefully, we get some help on defense in return, or a good draft pick.

MHCBill
01-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Please let's not go after a free agent running back.

Sorry Turner, but no.

We have too many other holes to worry about, let the three amigos wrestle for the job. I'm sure all three will get plenty of carries next year.

My first choice is Hall. Did he play outstanding in his one start or what? On the road no less. He's my darkhorse canidate for next season.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-02-2008, 08:47 PM
As much as I'd like Denver to go out and draft a guy, I don't think they will. I think we're stuck with who we have. Wabbit says the Broncos seem to like Young alot though.

topscribe
01-02-2008, 08:55 PM
My assessments:

Guy I want to draft:

~G

Selvin? No second gear? :confused:

That's his strength, his speed.

-----

BOSSHOGG30
01-02-2008, 09:01 PM
There is a couple late round pick guys I really like. Mostly to add depth and give us a valuable kick returner.

Rafael Little
RB | (5'9", 191, 4.5) | KENTUCKY
A shifty back that displays good initial quickness and body control. Runs low to the ground; does a fine job of stopping and starting without losing much in transition. Hits the hole quickly and also displays good burst to turn the corner as an outside runner. Has excellent experience in the passing game. Sells play-fakes well. Displays outstanding awareness as a route runner. Runs crisp routes and does a fine job of coming back to his quarterback once the initial play breaks down. Hands are above average and he does a good job of snatching the ball on the run. Displays awareness in pass pro and takes good angles as a blocker. Does an adequate job of cut-blocking bigger LB's on blitzes. Displays very good potential in the return game. Has done most of his damage on punt returns recently but has upside both on PR's and KOR's.

Yvenson Bernard
RB | (5'8", 202, 4.64) | OREGON STATE
Is patient, reads blocks well and shows good lateral mobility when cutting back. Takes some false steps but explodes through hole and generally falls forward when running inside. Though lacks elite size and isn't going to wear man defenses down, appears to get better with each carry and can carry a heavy workload. Shows good body control and can make the first defender miss. Has the burst to get outside and shows a second gear when gets a seam. Catches the ball away from frame and has the strong hands to develop into a reliable safety valve. Has a low center of gravity, flashes an effective stiff arm and bounces off arm tackles. Shows good awareness and secures the ball when gets into traffic. Has experience returning kickoffs as well as punts and can contribute on special teams.

Albert Young
RB | (5'9", 208, 4.55) | IOWA
Possesses adequate height and bulk. Is a tough runner with good lower body strength. Compact running style, runs with good pad level and will gain lots of yards after initial contact. Displays excellent vision and does a fine job of locating backside lanes. A one-cut type of slashing runner that hits the hole hard and rarely dances. He is a versatile back with good experience in the passing game. Shows outstanding instincts as a route runner and does a fine job of coming back to his quarterback. He's a reliable receiver with soft hands. Also is instinctive and tough as a pass blocker. Takes solid angles, shows good awareness and uses leverage to overcome size mismatches versus bigger blitzing linebackers at the point of attack.

Xavier Omon
RB | (5'11", 219, 4.55) |
A thickly built and powerful back with adequate height and very good bulk. A one-cut downhill runner with adequate-to-good straight-line speed. Is a strong north-south runner with good vision, body control and balance. A tough inside runner that uses good pad-level and leg drive to gain lots of yards after initial contact. Protects the ball well and thrives in his role as bell cow back within an offense. He has shown reliable hands as a receiver out of the backfield and has adequate experience in that regard. Is a strong blocker with the size and toughness to pick up the blitz in pass pro at the next level.

Alley Broussard III
RB | (6'0", 249, 4.7) | LSU
Is a big, physical runner with good height and outstanding bulk. Runs with a low center of gravity and is a punishing runner. Prior to his injury he was the type of back that could wear a defense down with a heavy load throughout the course of a game. He shows very good instincts, vision and patience as a runner. Drives his legs and shows the ability to consistently push the pile as an inside runner. Produces more yards-after-contact than most running backs on the collegiate level. Displays impressive initial burst for his size and shows enough quickness to bounce the inside-run outside once he gets through the line of scrimmage. His body control and balance are excellent. He is compact and shows the ability to plant-and-drive quickly. Lacks ideal experience in pass protection but he shows good size, power and toughness in this facet of the game. He also has experience on special teams and should be able to contribute in multiple roles in the NFL.

Broncoschic7
01-02-2008, 09:05 PM
I like Henry, Young, and Hall as well. However, I would start Young and rotate in the other two. Of the three I like Selvin's running ability the best. He seems to have the big play potential. Though due to his size, I wouldn't over use him. It's no different from our receiver's. We have enough good ones now to spread it out and keep em' guessing. Same with the guys running the ball. When any team utilizes a variety of play calls, (using a variety of players) they usually suceed. We seemed to play well when they switched up plays, etc. instead of running the same ole thing time and time again, where they continued to read us play after play.

frauschieze
01-02-2008, 09:07 PM
I just want an RB that can find the end zone consistently.

TIA

(yes, I know our O-line has a lot to do with this)

TXBRONC
01-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Even if the guys we have are healthy and ready to go Shanahan more times than not bringing another running back either by draft or by free agency.

topscribe
01-02-2008, 09:23 PM
There is a couple late round pick guys I really like. Mostly to add depth and give us a valuable kick returner.

Rafael Little
RB | (5'9", 191, 4.5) | KENTUCKY
A shifty back that displays good initial quickness and body control. Runs low to the ground; does a fine job of stopping and starting without losing much in transition. Hits the hole quickly and also displays good burst to turn the corner as an outside runner. Has excellent experience in the passing game. Sells play-fakes well. Displays outstanding awareness as a route runner. Runs crisp routes and does a fine job of coming back to his quarterback once the initial play breaks down. Hands are above average and he does a good job of snatching the ball on the run. Displays awareness in pass pro and takes good angles as a blocker. Does an adequate job of cut-blocking bigger LB's on blitzes. Displays very good potential in the return game. Has done most of his damage on punt returns recently but has upside both on PR's and KOR's.

Yvenson Bernard
RB | (5'8", 202, 4.64) | OREGON STATE
Is patient, reads blocks well and shows good lateral mobility when cutting back. Takes some false steps but explodes through hole and generally falls forward when running inside. Though lacks elite size and isn't going to wear man defenses down, appears to get better with each carry and can carry a heavy workload. Shows good body control and can make the first defender miss. Has the burst to get outside and shows a second gear when gets a seam. Catches the ball away from frame and has the strong hands to develop into a reliable safety valve. Has a low center of gravity, flashes an effective stiff arm and bounces off arm tackles. Shows good awareness and secures the ball when gets into traffic. Has experience returning kickoffs as well as punts and can contribute on special teams.

Albert Young
RB | (5'9", 208, 4.55) | IOWA
Possesses adequate height and bulk. Is a tough runner with good lower body strength. Compact running style, runs with good pad level and will gain lots of yards after initial contact. Displays excellent vision and does a fine job of locating backside lanes. A one-cut type of slashing runner that hits the hole hard and rarely dances. He is a versatile back with good experience in the passing game. Shows outstanding instincts as a route runner and does a fine job of coming back to his quarterback. He's a reliable receiver with soft hands. Also is instinctive and tough as a pass blocker. Takes solid angles, shows good awareness and uses leverage to overcome size mismatches versus bigger blitzing linebackers at the point of attack.

Xavier Omon
RB | (5'11", 219, 4.55) |
A thickly built and powerful back with adequate height and very good bulk. A one-cut downhill runner with adequate-to-good straight-line speed. Is a strong north-south runner with good vision, body control and balance. A tough inside runner that uses good pad-level and leg drive to gain lots of yards after initial contact. Protects the ball well and thrives in his role as bell cow back within an offense. He has shown reliable hands as a receiver out of the backfield and has adequate experience in that regard. Is a strong blocker with the size and toughness to pick up the blitz in pass pro at the next level.

Alley Broussard III
RB | (6'0", 249, 4.7) | LSU
Is a big, physical runner with good height and outstanding bulk. Runs with a low center of gravity and is a punishing runner. Prior to his injury he was the type of back that could wear a defense down with a heavy load throughout the course of a game. He shows very good instincts, vision and patience as a runner. Drives his legs and shows the ability to consistently push the pile as an inside runner. Produces more yards-after-contact than most running backs on the collegiate level. Displays impressive initial burst for his size and shows enough quickness to bounce the inside-run outside once he gets through the line of scrimmage. His body control and balance are excellent. He is compact and shows the ability to plant-and-drive quickly. Lacks ideal experience in pass protection but he shows good size, power and toughness in this facet of the game. He also has experience on special teams and should be able to contribute in multiple roles in the NFL.

I like the looks of Broussard. May have a fullback there.

As to the others, why would you want another RB the same size as Young or Hall? :confused:

-----

BOSSHOGG30
01-02-2008, 09:27 PM
I like the looks of Broussard. May have a fullback there.

As to the others, why would you want another RB the same size as Young or Hall? :confused:

-----

Read the beginning of my post... I stated to add depth and give us a kick returner. Kick Returner is huge.

MOtorboat
01-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Read the beginning of my post... I stated to add depth and give us a kick returner. Kick Returner is huge.

I'd rather draft a guy who can block for said kick returner.

topscribe
01-02-2008, 09:32 PM

Oh sorry. I've been going all day, working, and still am. The black is blending
into the white.

However, doesn't Hall look pretty good at returning kicks? Maybe the Broncos
need one, but I'm just looking at the holes in the lines . . . maybe too much,
I don't know.

-----

BOSSHOGG30
01-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Oh sorry. I've been going all day, working, and still am. The black is blending
into the white.

However, doesn't Hall look pretty good at returning kicks? Maybe the Broncos
need one, but I'm just looking at the holes in the lines . . . maybe too much,
I don't know.

-----

I like Hall as a kick retuner, but all of our guys are injury prone and it would be nice to save Young and Henry (if he stays) for runningback duties and have Hall and ??? as kick returner... one can block for the other.... it gives you a bigger blocker than having two wideouts back there. Currently we use Glenn Martinez and Andre Hall. I would much rather have Andre Hall and another runningback back there.

G_Money
01-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Selvin? No second gear? :confused:

That's his strength, his speed.

-----

Selvin Young isn’t a breakaway back. He doesn’t have breakaway speed.

If you don’t like the “second gear” or “another gear” then let’s talk about it in terms of 5 gears.

Henry is a low gear guy, which is fine – he’s a powerful runner, just not especially fast.

In 5 gear terms, Henry’s a 2-3 gear guy.

Selvin Young is actually only really a 3.5, 4 gear guy. He’s certainly not as fast as Hall (who is not as fast as some other backs, though he is darn fast). Selvin’s specialness lies in his ability to GET to that 3rd, 4th gear in about 3 steps. Young thinks he’s faster than he is, which is okay because he’s got a good ability to get up to his top speed really quickly.

But he can be run down. It’s not a knock on Selvin, and I probably should have phrased it better, but Young isn’t a blazer. He doesn’t need to be. But he’s also not a big back. Like I said, he’s a bounce runner with good vision.

And I like him a lot. But I think he’s gonna get hurt, bad, the way he runs. He’s already been hurt pretty badly in college, and his pro career has started with him being nagged with injuries even without his being the #1 guy all season.

I guess I could be underestimating both his speed and his ability to stay healthy, but that’s just what I see: a fast but not really fast back of decent but not great size who has good lower body strength and excels at running to the corner or slashing through a seam but can’t get the tough yards running between the tackles without a decent gap.

~G

Uncle Buck
01-02-2008, 10:01 PM
So you're Shanny for a day, what running back do you WANT starting for the Broncos next season? Are Selvin Young, Andre Hall, and Cecil Sapp enough for you, or are you gonna give Travis Henry another shot?

At this point, I could not care less whether we keep Henry or let him go. Under no condition, however, would he be my starter as RB.

On that note, I think that Shanny has overlooked Henry's best value to the offensive line... that of fullback. Bring Henry in when you are at 3rd and 2 for a conversion, let him get up a head of steam and punch through the line of scrimmage. Same goes for 3rd and short--or even 4th and short--in the red zone.

But, of course, all the football savvy know that this week's successful pattern could backfire into next week's disaster. Teams study team tactics.

But, with Henry back there in fullback position, you always keep the opposing D-line guessing as whether he is the designated "punch-through" artist or not, on any given play.

Confusion is what we need. And, the art of the bluff. But, when we are not bluffing, who better to crash through for a couple of yard--when it counts--than Henry?

Shanny, are you listening?

Lonestar
01-03-2008, 03:46 AM
I just want an RB that can find the end zone consistently.

TIA

(yes, I know our O-line has a lot to do with this)

This is the critical part they simply do not have the bulk to move the big bodies around deep in the red zone.. Until they do hope for runs from outside the red zone..

topscribe
01-03-2008, 04:01 AM

If you don’t like the “second gear” or “another gear” then let’s talk about it in terms of 5 gears.

Henry is a low gear guy, which is fine – he’s a powerful runner, just not especially fast.

Selvin Young is actually only really a 3.5, 4 gear guy. He’s certainly not as fast as Hall (who is not as fast as some other backs, though he is darn fast). Selvin’s specialness lies in his ability to GET to that 3rd, 4th gear in about 3 steps. Young thinks he’s faster than he is, which is okay because he’s got a good ability to get up to his top speed really quickly.

But he can be run down. It’s not a knock on Selvin, and I probably should have phrased it better, but Young isn’t a blazer. He doesn’t need to be. But he’s also not a big back. Like I said, he’s a bounce runner with good vision.

And I like him a lot. But I think he’s gonna get hurt, bad, the way he runs. He’s already been hurt pretty badly in college, and his pro career has started with him being nagged with injuries even without his being the #1 guy all season.

I guess I could be underestimating both his speed and his ability to stay healthy, but that’s just what I see: a fast but not really fast back of decent but not great size who has good lower body strength and excels at running to the corner or slashing through a seam but can’t get the tough yards running between the tackles without a decent gap.

~G

All I know is what I see on the field. I look at his 40 time, and I don't see an
especially fast person. But when he puts on the pads and goes out under
the lights, he's insanely fast. He sometimes seems to make others look like
they are playing in slow motion. TD was like that . . . relatively slow 40 time
but no one could catch him. That's what it seems the Broncos have in Young.

-----

CoachChaz
01-03-2008, 08:02 AM
I don't think I've ever heard Young referred to as fast. However, he is good at using what skills he has. I think the fact that he knows he isn't the fastest guy out there helps him because he gets crafty with his abilities.

I do agree with G in the fact that his style has always been one that puts him in a position to get hurt. He was injured every season of his college career and now the first season of his pro career.
________
Volcano Digital Vaporizer (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/volcano)

Dreadnought
01-03-2008, 08:24 AM

~G

I'm probably really pressing the analogy here, but thats not too bad a description of Terrell Davis. davis had great acceleration and great game speed.

MileHighWrath
01-03-2008, 08:29 AM
They can bring TD back in his prime, it won't matter. The Broncos have their RBs. What they need is an O line!

Mike
01-03-2008, 08:39 AM
I would like to see Hall more.

I like the combination of Young and Hall though. Don't care for Henry too much.

HolyDiver
01-03-2008, 09:59 AM

Selvin Young..............He'll be good for 1400 yards...............had over 700 this year in a part time role..................I also see him with OVER 50 receptions................Hall will be an excellent backup..............and without Henry, we can draft a bigger back.............230 or more.

Rex
01-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Young showed what he can do. Hall is would be a decent back up. Henry....I dont know. He WAS hurt most of the season and looked good early when healthy.
I wouldnt do anything at RB unless it is get rid of Henry and look for a late round bargain or another few undrafted FAs.

G_Money
01-03-2008, 10:17 AM
I guess I'm just not looking to leave the next Olandis Gary installed as the defacto guy - a guy who was kinda interesting, did well in the time provided him, and then blew out a knee and faded into oblivion.

Selvin is a guy I like - far more than last year's undrafted flavor, Mike Bell.

But it's my opinion that Selvin's gonna be out of football in 4 years due to excess injury, and while I like Hall as a backup, I don't want him as The Man.

I don't want Henry as The Man either, but I think it's definitely time, with Cutler and Marshall and theoretically Scheffler being installed as The Man at their respective positions that we finally lock down the RB slot for a few consecutive years with some stability. Yes, any running back with decent burst and field vision and aggressive one-cut nature can succeed in this offense, but I don't want mere success - I want excellence.

We are lucky - we don't need a first-rounder to get an excellent back in here. But the only RBs we've bothered to actually draft since CP are the wrong style of back for us. Q and Tatum are not backs destined for great success here.

However, this happens to be a year when there will be several backs in the style we need that are available between rounds 2 and 4.

Shanahan goes through running backs like a sick person goes through tissues. Bell isn't the answer and will be cut this offseason. Sapp isn't the answer and will be lucky to hang on to his role (and I like Sapp). Henry has a ton of question marks and can be cut free of penalty in 2 years. Young is gonna get broken IMO just as he has every other season he's played. And Hall is a very nice change-of-pace and third-string back who should not be shouldering the load for a team.

We are full of guys I'm happy with in backup roles, and nobody I'm satisfied with as The Man.

I want The Man.

~G

CoachChaz
01-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Good luck getting THE MAN in there. We need to improve the line before we can even bother looking at a guy like that. The middle seems fine and deep, but the bookends are needing major improvement.
________
ELECTRONIC CIGARETTES (http://vaporshop.com)

Broncolingus
01-03-2008, 10:23 AM
I too am more interested in getting Denver's problems fixed on both lines than the current RB situation...

The current group we have (Henry, Young, Hall) are fine...they just need a group that can block for them 16-games a season...

HolyDiver
01-03-2008, 10:36 AM
All I know is what I see on the field. I look at his 40 time, and I don't see an
especially fast person. But when he puts on the pads and goes out under
the lights, he's insanely fast. He sometimes seems to make others look like
they are playing in slow motion. TD was like that . . . relatively slow 40 time
but no one could catch him. That's what it seems the Broncos have in Young.

-----

I agree, Young has very good game speed.............I watched alot of his film already, and when he gets caught from behind, it's when the Defender has the angle..................I think he's plenty fast enough. He's the perfect all-around back we've been looking for................Good size, 6' 210..........Same as TD...............Good game speed, a very good blocker and a very good Receiver out of the backfield or even lined up wide..............I still cannot understand why most fans do not see this in Young............It's obvious to me he can carry the load.

BOSSHOGG30
01-03-2008, 10:39 AM
We all seen what Selvin Young can do in our offense, just think what Jamaal Charles can do in our offense. He was the starter for Texas that keep Young on the bench.

G_Money
01-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Good luck getting THE MAN in there. We need to improve the line before we can even bother looking at a guy like that. The middle seems fine and deep, but the bookends are needing major improvement.

The great thing about getting a great back is that he's still really good even if your line isn't terrific.

And then once your line IS terrific... :cool:

IMO we need 3 additions to the OL this year: A veteran LT if at all possible (or a terrific talent from the draft to plug in there) a RT (which we might have in house w/ Harris, but regardless Pears CANNOT be starting there next year) and a new center to learn the position from Nalen and Hamilton (there are several good ones who should be available 2nd day, because I just don't think Myers is strong enough at the point of attack and it's killing us in short-yardage).

That's gonna take some time and some luck to work out right, especially with the apparent learning curve that comes with our scheme.

In the mean time, a really good back can take pressure off of Jay no matter the down and distance and convert necessary short-yardage first downs, and we can stop looking like retards who have to throw it to the end zone from the 21 because we can't score in the red zone.

It's a one-person immediate fix to a multi-person long-term solution.

~G

HolyDiver
01-03-2008, 10:49 AM
The great thing about getting a great back is that he's still really good even if your line isn't terrific.

And then once your line IS terrific... :cool:

IMO we need 3 additions to the OL this year: A veteran LT if at all possible (or a terrific talent from the draft to plug in there) a RT (which we might have in house w/ Harris, but regardless Pears CANNOT be starting there next year) and a new center to learn the position from Nalen and Hamilton (there are several good ones who should be available 2nd day, because I just don't think Myers is strong enough at the point of attack and it's killing us in short-yardage).

That's gonna take some time and some luck to work out right, especially with the apparent learning curve that comes with our scheme.

In the mean time, a really good back can take pressure off of Jay no matter the down and distance and convert necessary short-yardage first downs, and we can stop looking like retards who have to throw it to the end zone from the 21 because we can't score in the red zone.

It's a one-person immediate fix to a multi-person long-term solution.

~G

Selvin Young had a very good season...............Played sparringly and ran for over 700 yards, averaged 5.4 per carry and added another 35 receptions. ...............Imagine Young behind a better O-line.

BigDaddyBronco
01-03-2008, 10:51 AM
G, I really like Matt Forte as you do.

I bet he is gone by the end of the 3rd round though. Maybe he'll have a bad combine and we can get him in the 4th.

Damn, I wish we had that 3rd rounder back.

Rex
01-03-2008, 10:57 AM
I guess I'm just not looking to leave the next Olandis Gary installed as the defacto guy - a guy who was kinda interesting, did well in the time provided him, and then blew out a knee and faded into oblivion.

Selvin is a guy I like - far more than last year's undrafted flavor, Mike Bell.

But it's my opinion that Selvin's gonna be out of football in 4 years due to excess injury, and while I like Hall as a backup, I don't want him as The Man.

I don't want Henry as The Man either, but I think it's definitely time, with Cutler and Marshall and theoretically Scheffler being installed as The Man at their respective positions that we finally lock down the RB slot for a few consecutive years with some stability. Yes, any running back with decent burst and field vision and aggressive one-cut nature can succeed in this offense, but I don't want mere success - I want excellence.

We are lucky - we don't need a first-rounder to get an excellent back in here. But the only RBs we've bothered to actually draft since CP are the wrong style of back for us. Q and Tatum are not backs destined for great success here.

However, this happens to be a year when there will be several backs in the style we need that are available between rounds 2 and 4.

Shanahan goes through running backs like a sick person goes through tissues. Bell isn't the answer and will be cut this offseason. Sapp isn't the answer and will be lucky to hang on to his role (and I like Sapp). Henry has a ton of question marks and can be cut free of penalty in 2 years. Young is gonna get broken IMO just as he has every other season he's played. And Hall is a very nice change-of-pace and third-string back who should not be shouldering the load for a team.

We are full of guys I'm happy with in backup roles, and nobody I'm satisfied with as The Man.

I want The Man.

~G

Never crazy about Mike Bell either.

But, I think when you are in shambles, you fix what needs fixing the most first. RB is not high on the list of things that need fixed.

We all want "THe Man" . Have since TD.

G_Money
01-03-2008, 10:57 AM
HD, I know you love Young.

I really like the kid. If we don't do anything with the RB position in the draft, trusting that with Henry, Young and Hall we can make a productive position (and we upgrade the line to do so) then I can accept that for the time being. We have lots of needs.

But if you give Selvin Young 300+ carries...well, he's not actually gonna make it to 300.

He ran it what, 250 times in 3 years of college, and still couldn't stay healthy? Missed several weeks this year in just limited duty?

I like him, I just don't think he'll last. Terrell Davis was a freakin' horse who ran, and ran, and ran...

Young isn't a horse. He isn't gonna hold up as the man, and this year couldn't even hold up as a part-time runner. In ANY year he hasn't held up as a part-time runner. When he's healthy, I like him - I just don't think he's gonna be healthy.

And since Travis Henry isn't gonna be either, that might be a problem.

~G

BigDaddyBronco
01-03-2008, 11:02 AM

I really like the kid. If we don't do anything with the RB position in the draft, trusting that with Henry, Young and Hall we can make a productive position (and we upgrade the line to do so) then I can accept that for the time being. We have lots of needs.

But if you give Selvin Young 300+ carries...well, he's not actually gonna make it to 300.

He ran it what, 250 times in 3 years of college, and still couldn't stay healthy? Missed several weeks this year in just limited duty?

I like him, I just don't think he'll last. Terrell Davis was a freakin' horse who ran, and ran, and ran...

Young isn't a horse. He isn't gonna hold up as the man, and this year couldn't even hold up as a part-time runner. In ANY year he hasn't held up as a part-time runner. When he's healthy, I like him - I just don't think he's gonna be healthy.

~G

Andre Hall didn't stay healthy in his limited duty either.

It seems like we need the 3-headed monster of Henry, Young, and Hall and a decent guy on the practice squad at a minimum.

HolyDiver
01-03-2008, 11:06 AM

~G

TD missed the last 2 1/2 games of his rookie year due to injury...............four years later, his career was over..............I love TD but he had his share of injuries.

Rex
01-03-2008, 11:09 AM
TD missed the last 2 1/2 games of his rookie year due to injury...............four years later, his career was over..............I love TD but he had his share of injuries.

Hold on Mr. Diver. TD missed the last 2 games his rookie year. But his injury that ended his career was the result of 1 play...a catastrophic knee injury. It was related to the chondral defects that ended his career.

Without that play, he might have played 4 more just like that.

G_Money
01-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Never crazy about Mike Bell either.

But, I think when you are in shambles, you fix what needs fixing the most first. RB is not high on the list of things that need fixed.

We all want "THe Man" . Have since TD.

Yeah - but the more I look at the situation, the more I'd move us away from this wretched attemtp at balance and toward nulcear destruction on one side of the ball and acceptible on the other.

Our defense is a joke, and our scheme is a joke. So we can either throw everything we have at the defense and hope that somehow it gets better, or we can take the offense that showed up at times with 30+ point performances and make that offense show up every time.

If it was up to me, I'd spend the two 1st day picks on a LB and a S, ignore the DL completely, and pour most of the rest of my picks into the O. Get a RB that fits our style, a 3rd WR, a FB, several OL, get more OL in FA and tell Cutler and Marshall that to win we need to hang 40 on everybody.

We don't have either side of the ball working right now. I'd rather get the offense working because Cutler and Marshall and Scheffler and Stokley are all weapons currently being wasted. We may already have many of the right DL - how would we know with this scheme?

Fix the OL, add even more weapons and blocking to protect Jay, and see if we can't take the Colts route to excellence of adding more D every future year until we get the right mix.

~G

HolyDiver
01-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Yeah - but the more I look at the situation, the more I'd move us away from this wretched attemtp at balance and toward nulcear destruction on one side of the ball and acceptible on the other.

Our defense is a joke, and our scheme is a joke. So we can either throw everything we have at the defense and hope that somehow it gets better, or we can take the offense that showed up at times with 30+ point performances and make that offense show up every time.

If it was up to me, I'd spend the two 1st day picks on a LB and a S, ignore the DL completely, and pour most of the rest of my picks into the O. Get a RB that fits our style, a 3rd WR, a FB, several OL, get more OL in FA and tell Cutler and Marshall that to win we need to hang 40 on everybody.

We don't have either side of the ball working right now. I'd rather get the offense working because Cutler and Marshall and Scheffler and Stokley are all weapons currently being wasted. We may already have many of the right DL - how would we know with this scheme?

Fix the OL, add even more weapons and blocking to protect Jay, and see if we can't take the Colts route to excellence of adding more D every future year until we get the right mix.

~G

That's pretty much it.............Not that having McFadden doens't sound nice.............it just makes more sense to draft Defensive players and go with the already potent ( minus the playcalling) Offense that we have..............If after this next season there is no improvement, then we address that in the 2009 draft. But I say we go with the guys on Offense we have now with maybe drafting an O-linemen and backup Runningback in the later rounds.rounds...........

Rex
01-03-2008, 11:17 AM
That's pretty much it.............Not that having McFadden doens't sound nice.............it just makes more sense to draft Defensive players and go with the already potent ( minus the playcalling) Offense that we have..............If after this next season they is no improvement, then we address that in the 2009 draft. But I say we go with the guys on Offense we have now with maybe drafting an O-linemen and backup Runningback in the later rounds.rounds...........

I would rather have a top flight defensive player than McFadden. It might be just me (I am not an official talent evaluator, sanctioned by the Freak) but I just dont see McFadden being the next great thing. Adrian Peterson he is not.

Mike
01-03-2008, 11:21 AM
If the Broncos don't address the O and D lines this offseason I will officially be on the "Shanahan must go" side. These guys are the heart and soul of each unit...especially the offense. Without fixing the OL it doesn't matter much who is carrying the rock. Without fixing the DL it won't matter much that Denver has the best CB in the league. Denver will just continue to piss away the primes of guys like Bailey and Cutler.

HolyDiver
01-03-2008, 11:37 AM
I would rather have a top flight defensive player than McFadden. It might be just me (I am not an official talent evaluator, sanctioned by the Freak) but I just dont see McFadden being the next great thing. Adrian Peterson he is not.

Dumervil, Marshall and Young were all very productive..............They came cheap........as opposed to, let's say Mario Williams (#1 pick, same draft as Dumervil) or Calvin Johnson..............I would take Marshall over Calvin Johnson any day of the week............Then getting a pretty good back in free agency.............We at some point have to look at getting talent in areas that won't kill our salary cap................Like Marshalll vs. Walker and Young vs. Henry.

BOSSHOGG30
01-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Dumervil, Marshall and Young were all very productive..............They came cheap........as opposed to, let's say Mario Williams (#1 pick, same draft as Dumervil) or Calvin Johnson..............I would take Marshall over Calvin Johnson any day of the week............Then getting a pretty good back in free agency.............We at some point have to look at getting talent in areas that won't kill our salary cap................Like Marshalll vs. Walker and Young vs. Henry.

Calvin Johnson or Brandon Marshall? That is a tough one. Calvin Johnson will be very good. They both should be top receivers in the NFL for a long time.

mclark
01-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Use free agency to fix the offense: get a #1 running back (Michael Turner, say) and two veteran offensive linemen: a starting left tackle (maybe Max Starks, maybe someone else) and a starting guard (Faneca, from Pittsburgh).

Where do we get the money? I'm not sure how all the money parts work. Does getting rid of Henry cost us or save us? Lepsis is gone. Javon Walker is gone. We already got rid of G. Warren's cap expansion by dumping him early this year.

Last year we spent pretty big money on Henry, Bly and Graham, bringing in 3 pretty big free agents. Do the same this year.

Then use the draft to rebuild the defense at middle linebacker, defensive tackle, safety and add depth for our offense.

Why Turner? Big, fast, good at getting short yardage, good in the red zone. A veteran who hasn't played much and hasn't been hurt much. I know the argument that he hasn't been a starter, so we can't know how good he is. He's done everything the last few years San Diego has allowed him to do, given his playing time: averaged 5.2, 5.9, 6.3, and 4.5 yards per carry the last four years. Had long runs of 30 in 2004, 83 in 2005, 73 in 2006, 77 in 2007. He ran for almost 2000 yards as a junior in college. He has no marijuana habit. He's hungry for a chance to prove himself.

I don't like Henry much. I do like Young and Hall, but I'm not sure they're ready to carry the load for us. You have to have depth at runningback in the NFL. Injury is just part of the picture.

I'm of the opinion that many of our problems on defense came from the Jim Bates experiment of trying to institute an archaic defense on a team that wasn't ready for it. Get rid of Bates and some of our problems are solved. We are young in the defensive line and need a few more additions there. We need two new linebackers and a new safety. That's all something we can do.

Rex
01-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Oh Thank God mClark is here. I was worried sick about you. Now that you and G are here, I can read the football threads.

underrated29
01-03-2008, 12:06 PM
going the offensive way is just insane to me. Sure if we ar good enough and can put up 40 thats great. Problem is that our SIEVEfense is so porous that teams drive, and drive and drive on us. yes i understand thats why if we put up 40pts we are ok. But the thing is that when those teams drive and drive and drive on us, they chew up the clock. BIG TIME.

Remember our '05 season, we dominated TOP, with like 10 minutes more on average. We only gave the other team like 6 possesions the ENTIRE game. Only now its the revers. We cant possibly expect to put up so many points with so few offensive possesions. It just wont work. Look at jaxonville right now. There are doing so well because they control the clock and keep the offense off the field.

The only remedy to this is just to let the other team move into FG position right away and then try like hell to stop them. So if you do they only get 3 pts and it only chewed up a few minutes because you let them walk right into FG territory. Alas, thats not how you play football.

We MUST stop the run! We have too. The offense will find a way to punch it in. If we would have converted on say even half of our inside the 10. We would probably have won a lot more games. Give the O a little time. Get the D fixed now.

On RB
I agree. I have been saying it for a while that Denver needs a bulldozer RB. The breakaway is nice, but not what we are built for. We need someone to push that pile on first down and get 5-6 yards each time. Its what our offense is desinged to do. Have a nice short second down to run,pa,or go deep. IF not then we know that our Bulldozer can then pick up the 3rd and 3 or 4.

I still believe travis is that man. I dont think any of us had enough opportunity to really discover if he is from injuries to him, the line, and our lack of production.

I do know however that we do not and can not have any dancers, or light little pansies running the rock. NO Q griffins, NO tatum bells, NO what was that guy everyone wanted us to draft this last year? irons or something. We dont need them, they dont work here. We need consistency and we need guranteed yards.........

I got interrupted and lost my train of thought...

mclark
01-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Oh Thank God mClark is here. I was worried sick about you. Now that you and G are here, I can read the football threads.

I just read the Open Letter yesterday. I'm not very observant, obviously. I was wondering where everyone had gone. I knew it was a tough season, but...

BOSSHOGG30
01-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Jonathon Stewart or Jamaal Charles anyone?

mclark
01-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Jonathon Stewart or Jamaal Charles anyone?

I like both these guys. But I can't see us drafting a runnning back high unless we make a defensive killing in free agency.

I love Stewart. He is big (240), fast, powerful, great balance -- one man almost never tackles him. He averaged over 30 yards per kickoff as a kickoff return man with about 5 touchdowns. He doesn't have great hands, but he's improved as a receiver. He is a lot like Michael Turner -- that's why I'm leaning toward Turner in free agency.

Charles is one of those guys who just always shows up and always makes plays.

I guess if we got a middle linebacker, a safety, a starting left tackle in free agency, I might be willing to spring for a running back in the first round.

BOSSHOGG30
01-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Free Agents
LT Jordan Gross
OLB Lance Briggs

Draft:
1st: Jonathon Stewart
2nd: best available DT

or

1st: Best available DT
2nd: Jamaal Charles

Broncolingus
01-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Free Agents
LT Jordan Gross
OLB Lance Briggs

Draft:

or

Don't forget all of those are secondary to your favorite and #1 - Travis Henry

BOSSHOGG30
01-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Don't forget all of those are secondary to your favorite and #1 - Travis Henry

Henry will get the hack or traded as well as Walker.

BOSSHOGG30
01-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Matt Lepsis contract:
3/2/2006: Signed a four-year, $25 million contract. The deal included $9 million guaranteed, all of which were paid out in the first year. 2007: $3.15 million, 2008: $4.5 million, 2009: $4.75 million, 2010: Free Agent

Does this mean we will save at least 4.5 to our cap # since he retired?

Skinny
01-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Does this mean we will save at least 4.5 to our cap # since he retired?As mentioned by Tned in the 'Matt Lepsis Retiring' thread ...
'08 Cap Savings with his retirement $2.95 million
'09 Cap Savings with his retirement (salary only, because all prorated bonus counted in '08): $4.75 million

atwater27
01-03-2008, 12:53 PM

~G

I see the same thing with Adrian Peterson. As fun as he is to watch, I wince every time he does some crazy leap into a sea of players or a blind stutter step/spin. He is a reckless runner, which is why he is good and also why he will have catastrophic knee and ankle injuries.

MyBroncosFootball
01-03-2008, 12:58 PM
i say draft a running back and keep Young around. Save some money and get rid of Travis Henry. He's way to fragile,.

atwater27

brilliant post

topscribe
We all seen what Selvin Young can do in our offense, just think what Jamaal Charles can do in our offense. He was the starter for Texas that keep Young on the bench.

Young spent the bulk of his college career with a broken ankle. We will never
know whether Jamaal Charles could have kept him on the bench, had he not
suffered that injury. Young said that this year is the first he has been healthy
for many years, which means he wasn't completely healthy in his senior year.

-----

Broncolingus
01-03-2008, 01:00 PM
I don't really care if Henry stays or not - he is the most powerful back we currently have - but, if he does stay, 1) don't count on him playing in 16 games a season and, 2) at a significantly less $$$ amount.

He can be a Ron Dayne type...

mclark
01-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Free Agents
LT Jordan Gross
OLB Lance Briggs

Draft:

or

That doesn't look too bad.

topscribe
01-03-2008, 01:14 PM
I agree, Young has very good game speed.............I watched alot of his film already, and when he gets caught from behind, it's when the Defender has the angle..................I think he's plenty fast enough. He's the perfect all-around back we've been looking for................Good size, 6' 210..........Same as TD...............Good game speed, a very good blocker and a very good Receiver out of the backfield or even lined up wide..............I still cannot understand why most fans do not see this in Young............It's obvious to me he can carry the load.

I think where some of these guys get the idea Young does not have special
speed . . . and where I had it before I observed him in games and heard many
comments about his speed . . . is his 4.58 40 time at the Combine.

That might have been because he was still recovering from his injury. He did
imply that he was never completely healthy during his college career, after
breaking his ankle as he did.

I have run across a couple sites that might give a true indication of Young's
speed:

http://texas.scout.com/a.z?s=110&p=8&c=1&nid=5928
http://texas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=246&sport=1

As you can see, one has his speed coming out of H.S. at 4.41, and the
other 4.36. Since he has indicated that he was healthy this season for the
first time in years, we might have been witnessing his true speed. This is
probably why it seemed every time his name was mentioned by
commentators, the comment included the word "speed."

-----

G_Money
01-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Or it could be that after watching Henry run, turtles look like hares.

Selvin believed he could run a 4.4 at the combine, maybe a 4.3. He didn't come close. I don't care, because in pads, on the actual field, he's awfully quick. He gets up to speed very quickly thanks to those large thighs of his and he's good in the open field, though he can be run down.

But if you think Young is fast, and acknowledge that Hall is faster (as he certainly seems to be) then just how fast do you think Hall is? 4.2? C'mon.

And for all this "We have no idea how good Selvin Young can be because he was injured all the time" stuff...that's a NEGATIVE, not a POSITIVE. Young claimed earlier this year to be healthy for the first time in five years. And then he got injured again.

As much as I like Selvin, why would I rely on that guy to power my running attack?

Maybe Young will run for 8000 yards and never be injured again, but I sure wouldn't plan on it, because his history scoffs at that notion.

~G

CoachChaz
01-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Young is okay as the starter for me provided he has a reliable back up. So, if we have Young AND Hall, I'm okay with that as a viable replacement to the pothead. But if health is the biggest concern for Young, then we HAVE to reduce his risks and improve the line.
________
Vaporizers (http://twitter.com/vaporizer)

BOSSHOGG30
01-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Andre Hall has the fastest timed forty of all the Denver runningbacks. He ran a 4.42 at the combine. Young ran a 4.57.

claymore
01-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Young is okay as the starter for me provided he has a reliable back up. So, if we have Young AND Hall, I'm okay with that as a viable replacement to the pothead. But if health is the biggest concern for Young, then we HAVE to reduce his risks and improve the line.
Young seemed to look better as the season progressed (health wise). You could tell he wasnt used to getting hit, but kept getting up faster, and limping around less.

He definetley looked good this year, but I do not ever see him being the primary back.......

Orangeblood
01-03-2008, 01:38 PM
I agree with G that with the way Young runs and his history he will most likely end up hurt, badly. Definitely not the guy to rely on.

By the way, you wouldn't happen to be the same G_Money on a Mariners' board would you?

topscribe
01-03-2008, 01:39 PM
Or it could be that after watching Henry run, turtles look like hares.

Selvin believed he could run a 4.4 at the combine, maybe a 4.3. He didn't come close. I don't care, because in pads, on the actual field, he's awfully quick. He gets up to speed very quickly thanks to those large thighs of his and he's good in the open field, though he can be run down.

But if you think Young is fast, and acknowledge that Hall is faster (as he certainly seems to be) then just how fast do you think Hall is? 4.2? C'mon.

And for all this "We have no idea how good Selvin Young can be because he was injured all the time" stuff...that's a NEGATIVE, not a POSITIVE. Young claimed earlier this year to be healthy for the first time in five years. And then he got injured again.

As much as I like Selvin, why would I rely on that guy to power my running attack?

Maybe Young will run for 8000 yards and never be injured again, but I sure wouldn't plan on it, because his history scoffs at that notion.

~G

Who cares if Hall is faster? Tatum was faster, too. In fact, Tatum is faster
than Tomlinson. Are we to say, then, that Tater is better than LT?

The point is, you said Young doesn't possess breakaway speed. I provided
the reason he thought he would run 4.3-4.4 in the Combine: He was used
to running that speed. If he can run that now . . . and he showed he is
running very fast . . . then he indeed has breakaway speed, doesn't he?

And the only time I saw him tackled downfield was by defenders who were
already there or who had the angle on him. I never saw anybody run him
down from behind this year.

Anyway, it's not that important what our respective opinions are. We'll see
on the field, won't we?

-----

G_Money
01-03-2008, 02:06 PM
I agree with G that with the way Young runs and his history he will most likely end up hurt, badly. Definitely not the guy to rely on.

By the way, you wouldn't happen to be the same G_Money on a Mariners' board would you?

I am, yes. Small world. :D What gave it away, my ridiculous excess of words?

Anyway, it's not that important what our respective opinions are. We'll see on the field, won't we?

Well, we both have our opinions informed by fact - they just aren't the same facts. I weight some things differently than you do, and we come to different conclusions.

Then Actual Life comes along and gives us the truth of the matter. Honestly, I like your conclusions better than mine if I was given the choice. I don't believe it WILL happen, but I'd prefer it if your future prognostications DID happen.

So we'll just hope I'm wrong and that Selvin can take full advantage of his gifts here and turn in a fine career.

Please bring this thread up in two years and say "I told you so" so I can buy you a :beer:

~G

CoachChaz
01-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Keep in mind that Yound also had 140 carries this season and 35 receptions in limited duty. ALOT more than he ever got in any one season at UT.
________
K100 (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/BMW_K100)

Orangeblood
01-03-2008, 02:14 PM
I am, yes. Small world. What gave it away, my ridiculous excess of words?

The way you write and your "~G" signature gave it away. I'm sure the x-Freaks know, and the people on this board will come to know how lucky they are to have you here. Always great knowledge and great insight from G_Money

topscribe
01-03-2008, 02:15 PM
I am, yes. Small world. :D What gave it away, my ridiculous excess of words?

Well, we both have our opinions informed by fact - they just aren't the same facts. I weight some things differently than you do, and we come to different conclusions.

Then Actual Life comes along and gives us the truth of the matter. Honestly, I like your conclusions better than mine if I was given the choice. I don't believe it WILL happen, but I'd prefer it if your future prognostications DID happen.

So we'll just hope I'm wrong and that Selvin can take full advantage of his gifts here and turn in a fine career.

Please bring this thread up in two years and say "I told you so" so I can buy you a :beer:

~G

Only thing is, I didn't make any predictions. I only commented on Young's
speed. I'm not predicting him as the RB of the future. I think he may be, but
I'm not saying anything to that effect. So I will have no case to say "I told
you so," because I didn't.

----

Broncospsycho77
01-03-2008, 04:21 PM
They all have their talents. What we need is stability, just like with defensive scheme, just like with our playcalling. We need to practice knowing which guy's gonna be our starter so the line knows how to block for him, his preferences, etc. The only exception is if we went to a dual RB scheme, a pounder and speedster.

As ~G said, we need "The Man". No more late round garbage. Something more permanent.

MOtorboat
01-03-2008, 04:31 PM
I vote for an offensive line first...

Broncolingus
01-03-2008, 04:35 PM
I still don't have a problem with Henry (at much reduced $$$), Hall, and Young...

The need is O-line and FB right now...that's where Denver needs to focus it's efforts.

A average RB can have success behind an above average/great o-line...

A above average/great RB cannot have success behind a below average/average o-line...

BTW, no one person is any more or less benefical to the board than another...everyone has a perspective that's worthwhile to some degree...

Broncospsycho77
01-03-2008, 04:38 PM
I vote for an offensive line first...

IMO, there's too much of a drop off after Jake Long in the draft, so FA would be our best bet for that...

atwater27
01-03-2008, 04:49 PM
We have no business drafting a running back this time around. We really don't. Maybe a true blocking fullback late. But no tailbacks, unless we have plans to unload Henry or trade one of our others.
T. J. Duckett seems like a good pickup if we really think we need one for the right price. The guy is a beast, and has been sooooo underused and misused as a pro. Besides, we could use a goal line back at the least.

topscribe
01-03-2008, 05:00 PM
We have no business drafting a running back this time around. We really don't. Maybe a true blocking fullback late. But no tailbacks, unless we have plans to unload Henry or trade one of our others.
T. J. Duckett seems like a good pickup if we really think we need one for the right price. The guy is a beast, and has been sooooo underused and misused as a pro. Besides, we could use a goal line back at the least.

That's why I like what I see in Broussard.

Maybe a low round draft choice and cheap?

-----

aberdien
01-03-2008, 06:44 PM
I think the idea of getting a bruiser like a Najeh Davenport type back to come in a be in rotation with Selvin Young and having Andre hall as a 3rd down back/returner.

HolyDiver
01-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Calvin Johnson or Brandon Marshall? That is a tough one. Calvin Johnson will be very good. They both should be top receivers in the NFL for a long time.

Yeah, and one is making millions right now...............while Marshall coming off the second best season from a Bronco Receiver is making probably $400,000 this year. .............This is my point, we need to have as many players as possible that are drafted in the later rounds that can be productive as opposed to signing vets that WERE good but now are getting paid on name alone............That's another reason I'm so excited about Selvin Young..................Good back and plays for the minimum.................Plenty of Terrell Davis's, Shannon sharpe's, Karl Mecklenburg's, Tom Nalen's..............There is a reason I'm always not on the lets draft the stud Runningback or the guy that is 6'6 and running a 4.4 at the Combine. We just need to stick to drafting good football players, no matter where SOMEONE ELSE has them ranked..................Silva, Steltz..............Stump Thompson. All can contribute and be had for dirt cheap.

Lonestar
01-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Yeah, and one is making millions right now...............while Marshall coming off the second best season from a Bronco Receiver is making probably $400,000 this year. .............This is my point, we need to have as many players as possible that are drafted in the later rounds that can be productive as opposed to signing vets that WERE good but now are getting paid on name alone............That's another reason I'm so excited about Selvin Young..................Good back and plays for the minimum.................Plenty of Terrell Davis's, Shannon sharpe's, Karl Mecklenburg's, Tom Nalen's..............There is a reason I'm always not on the lets draft the stud Runningback or the guy that is 6'6 and running a 4.4 at the Combine. We just need to stick to drafting good football players, no matter where SOMEONE ELSE has them ranked..................Silva, Steltz..............Stump Thompson. All can contribute and be had for dirt cheap.

Marshall, Brandon

Year Base Salary Sign Bonus Other Bonus Total Salary Cap Value
2007 Broncos $ 360,000 $ 420,000 $ 6,360 $ 366,360 $ 471,360
2006 Broncos $ 275,000 $ 420,000 $ 0,000 $ 695,000 $ 380,000

BOSSHOGG30
01-03-2008, 07:51 PM
It won't long and Marshall we be asking for the big bucks. Denver better hurry up and lock him up before we can't afford him or he wants to leave.

Lonestar
01-03-2008, 07:59 PM
It won't long and Marshall we be asking for the big bucks. Denver better hurry up and lock him up before we can't afford him or he wants to leave.

Offically through 2009

Marshall, Brandon
View Stats at Players Inc Site
Player Info
Draft Info

WR (#)
Year: 2006

Denver Broncos
Round: 4

Highlands Ranch, CO
Position: 22

Salary History

2006 275000.00
2007 360000.00
2008 445000.00
2009 530000.00

Npba900
01-03-2008, 09:42 PM

At this stage, Marshall would be an out right fool to sign early, the NFL stands for NOT FOR LONG and players have a small window of opportunity to sign the BIG contract. Brandon would be better off playing out his contract (if he can stay healthy!) and try and get a Champ Bailey type Contract. Denver can't expect to sign an up and comming star WR for cheap!

SoCoPoCo
01-04-2008, 04:55 AM
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned in the thread, but the best RB the Broncos could sign is any FB who can clear a path for the TB and catch the occasional pass in the flat ala Howard Griffith. Schmitt is an animal but may go as high as the 2nd round according to some mocks and that's too high for us in light of all our other needs. Hillis from Arkansas is rated just below Schmitt and would be a good fit. God bless Cecil Sapp for trying but he is not an adequate FB when it comes to blocking, IMO.

Dean
01-04-2008, 09:16 AM
As evidenced by the dismal results when Daniel Graham was injured, auxilary blockers can has a significant effect on our O-lines' success or failure. Consequently, a first rate blocking fullback IMO would have the immediate effect of greatly improving both our rushing and passing attack.

In addition it would be very cost effective. FBs are paid relatively little compared to O-linemen and especially compared to HBs.

TXBRONC
01-04-2008, 10:03 PM
As evidenced by the dismal results when Daniel Graham was injured, auxilary blockers can has a significant effect on our O-lines' success or failure. Consequently, a first rate blocking fullback IMO would have the immediate effect of greatly improving both our rushing and passing attack.

In addition it would be very cost effective. FBs are paid relatively little compared to O-linemen and especially compared to HBs.

I totally agree. I wish Shanahan would go out and get a first rate blocking fullback.

Broncospsycho77
01-04-2008, 10:11 PM
I totally agree. I wish Shanahan would go out and get a first rate blocking fullback.

It's probably too late for that. Shanny has pretty much ditched the I-form as a running strategy, and that's too bad, too. I liked the old strong side fullback on our running plays.

broncofanatic1987
01-04-2008, 10:37 PM

Well, the last three leading rushers have been released or traded, so Selvin Young's days could be numbered in Denver.:D;)

If Shanahan is smart, Henry gets another chance. Hell, with Walker trying to force his way out, how can the Broncos afford to not give Henry another chance? Hell, they might be forced to give Gold another year if they feel compelled to give Walker what he wants. Those are three big contract they would have to eat if they get rid of all three players. Maybe Gold goes regardless of what they decide to do with Walker, but I think Henry stays if Walker goes.

Let's not forget, Henry was on pace to gain nearly 1,500 yards before he got hurt. If he can stay healthy, he might get there next season.

Watchthemiddle
01-04-2008, 10:55 PM
Well, the last three leading rushers have been released or traded, so Selvin Young's days could be numbered in Denver.:D;)

If Shanahan is smart, Henry gets another chance. Hell, with Walker trying to force his way out, how can the Broncos afford to not give Henry another chance? Hell, they might be forced to give Gold another year if they feel compelled to give Walker what he wants. Those are three big contract they would have to eat if they get rid of all three players. Maybe Gold goes regardless of what they decide to do with Walker, but I think Henry stays if Walker goes.

Let's not forget, Henry was on pace to gain nearly 1,500 yards before he got hurt. If he can stay healthy, he might get there next season.

BIG if

sneakers
01-05-2008, 05:15 AM
A healthy Ron Dayne, whoops...I mean ROOOOOOON DAAAYYYNE! as they would say here in Wisconsin.

Italianmobstr7
01-05-2008, 01:45 PM
I want to see what a healthy, clear-minded Henry can do. The likeliness of that happeneing isn't good though, so I'll go with Selvin. I think that our offense was more explosive with him in there. Seemed like we always had the chance to break open a big play. With Henry, it seems like there would be some daylight, and then it would close up. I don't think that Denver necessarily needs to draft another back, but I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a Ray Rice, or Matt Forte if we could get them in the 2nd round or later.

Lonestar
01-05-2008, 02:12 PM
I want to see what a healthy, clear-minded Henry can do. The likeliness of that happeneing isn't good though, so I'll go with Selvin. I think that our offense was more explosive with him in there. Seemed like we always had the chance to break open a big play. With Henry, it seems like there would be some daylight, and then it would close up. I don't think that Denver necessarily needs to draft another back, but I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a Ray Rice, or Matt Forte if we could get them in the 2nd round or later.

You all know that mikey always brings in RB's lets hope he waits till the other major holes are filled first.. RB is the least of our worries at this time..

TXBRONC
01-05-2008, 02:58 PM
It's probably too late for that. Shanny has pretty much ditched the I-form as a running strategy, and that's too bad, too. I liked the old strong side fullback on our running plays.

We still run primarily from the I-formation. Most of the time it's an offset I.

Broncospsycho77
01-05-2008, 03:08 PM
We still run primarily from the I-formation. Most of the time it's an offset I.

I still see too much single back. Our RBs get slaughtered by that.