PDA

View Full Version : Picks 12 and 43, What to do?

BOSSHOGG30
01-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Denver has picks 12 and 43 of the 2008 NFL draft... if you are the GM, who do you take with the two picks?

BOSSHOGG30
01-02-2008, 11:36 AM
Mine

Pick 12: DT S.Ellis, USC
Pick 43: OLB P.Wheeler, Georgia Tech

CoachChaz
01-02-2008, 11:39 AM
12. Kenny Phillips
43. Balmer/Okam/Bryant
________
WEED (http://wwweed.com/)

underrated29
01-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Mine

I agree!!!! this will sound dumb, but i dont know who either of those players are, but they are the two positions I think we should fill first. And boss seems to know his college prospects.

MHCBill
01-02-2008, 11:45 AM
12. Kenny Phillips
43. Balmer/Okam/BryantExactly what I would do!!!

MHCBill
01-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Boss, didn't you have Stewart on your sig as a #1 or did you change your mind?

I know I will keep changing my mind.

BOSSHOGG30
01-02-2008, 11:47 AM
I agree!!!! this will sound dumb, but i dont know who either of those players are, but they are the two positions I think we should fill first. And boss seems to know his college prospects.

Sedrick Ellis
DT | (6'1", 305, 4.95) | USC

A disruptive, penetrating interior defensive lineman. At his best in a one-gap scheme but has some versatility due to experience as a nose tackle and three-technique. He is extremely disruptive versus the run. Displays outstanding initial burst and wins most of his battles with first-step quickness. Uses long arms to keep separation and does an excellent job of disengaging from blocks and keeping on the move. Recognition skills are very good and he's athletic enough to change directions and pursue once he penetrates the backfield. He consistently generates pressure as a pass rusher. Shows upper-echelon closing burst for his position and also does a good job of batting down passes once he realizes he's not getting to the QB. Plays with a great motor and works very hard on and off the field. Never gives up on a play and his effort is infectious.

Ellis arrived at USC in 2003 but received a medical redshirt after suffering a midseason left ankle fracture which required surgery. During his first three seasons (2004-'06) he saw action in 34 games making 86 total tackles, 16 tackles for loss, and nine sacks. Ellis missed some time in 2006 after having arthroscopic knee surgery. Ellis is a one-gap defensive tackle prospect that isn't for everybody but can be effective in the right scheme (see: Colts, Buccaneers, Eagles, etc.). If ranks among the elite prospects at his position and can solidify a spot in Round 1 with a healthy and productive senior season.

Philip Wheeler
ILB | (6'1", 234, 4.55) | GEORGIA TECH

Aggressive, reads keys quickly and makes plays behind the line of scrimmage. Uses hands well, delivers a strong punch at the point of attack and flashes the ability to shed blocks quickly. Has good not great range, takes sound angles to the ball and makes plays in pursuit. Wraps up upon contact and is a reliable open field tackler that flashes the ability to deliver the big hit. Gets good depth, reads quarterbacks' eyes and covers a lot of ground quickly when asked to drop into zone coverage. Times blitzes well, takes the shortest path to the quarterback and has above-average closing speed. Flashes the ability to run through blockers in the backfield and is a relentless pass rusher. Has experience lining up on the inside and is versatile.

Wheeler appeared in all 12 games in 2003, primarily on special teams, and finished with six total tackles. He was redshirted in 2004. During his next two seasons (2005-'06) Wheeler played in 26 games (26 starts) and recorded 153 total tackles, 26 tackles for loss, 13 sacks and four interceptions. Wheeler doesn't have prototypical size for an inside linebacker or cover skills for an outside linebacker but there's a lot to like about his instincts, closing speed and tackling. A strong senior season could land Wheeler a spot in the first two rounds of the 2008 draft.

* Player biographies are provided by Scouts Inc.

BOSSHOGG30
01-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Boss, didn't you have Stewart on your sig as a #1 or did you change your mind?

I know I will keep changing my mind.

That was my mock... Shanny always throws a surprise in on draft day... If Jonathon Stewart declares, I wouldn't be surprised if Shanny and his offensive mind get a little happy and pull off some crazy move like drafting a runningback in the 1st round. He is one heck of a runningback though, so I wouldn't be too upset if it happened.

This thread is what I would do if I was the Broncos GM.

BigDaddyBronco
01-02-2008, 11:53 AM
If Bates is back I don't know if it matters who the defense drafts, they will be misused.

So if Bates is DC...

12 - FS Kenny Phillips, Miami
43 - NT Red Bryant, Texas A&M (this is assuming Frank Okam is gone)

If Bates is gone...

12 - DT Sedrick Ellis, USC
43 - OT Chris Williams, Vanderbilt (assuming Gosder Cherilus is gone)

MHCBill
01-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Boss,

What's your take on Phillips? I don't remembering reading much of your opinion on him.

CoachChaz
01-02-2008, 11:57 AM
If Bates is back I don't know if it matters who the defense drafts, they will be misused.

So if Bates is DC...

12 - FS Kenny Phillips, Miami
43 - NT Red Bryant, Texas A&M (this is assuming Frank Okam is gone)

If Bates is gone...

12 - DT Sedrick Ellis, USC
43 - OT Chris Williams, Vanderbilt (assuming Gosder Cherilus is gone)

I would be ecstatic to see Michael Oher in this spot too.
________
BUY NO2 (http://vaporizers.net/no2-vaporizer/)

BOSSHOGG30
01-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Boss,

What's your take on Phillips? I don't remembering reading much of your opinion on him.

He is a absolute stud!

My 1st round draft board looks like this... (meaning I would sit at the 12th spot and cross each guy off till I get my guy at 12)

1) DT Glenn Dorsey
2) DE/DT Chris Long
3) OT Jake Long
4) DT Sedrick Ellis
5) LB James Laurinaitis
6) S Kenny Phillips
7) RB Darren McFadden
8) Dan Conner
9) Jonathon Stewart
10) DE Calais Campbell
11) LB Rey Maualuga
12) LB Keith Rivers

MHCBill
01-02-2008, 12:14 PM
If Ellis and Phillips are both there do you still want Ellis?

Don't you think unless we change to a more attacking style defense (especially the DT's) Ellis would be somewhat of a waste?

BOSSHOGG30
01-02-2008, 12:17 PM
If Ellis and Phillips are both there do you still want Ellis?

Don't you think unless we change to a more attacking style defense (especially the DT's) Ellis would be somewhat of a waste?

It does matter who our defensive coordinator is. Ellis wouldn't fit well with Bates, just like Thomas. But based on our struggles I would like to assume that Bates won't be back next season. If we have Bates, my draft board would change dramatically.

MHCBill
01-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Gotcha...

I just think it's time to get a stud safety.

I remember reading last year that Shanny wasn't high on Reggie Nelson because he knew that he would not get a chance to start year one. Shanny stated safety is a position they feel that when they draft a player they want to have a spot open from the get go. I hope this is the year.

We need a stud back there again.

Oh, I miss the days of Atwater.

BOSSHOGG30
01-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Without Bates:

With Bates:
Pick 12: RB Jonathon Stewart
Pick 43: OT Gosder Cherilus

BOSSHOGG30
01-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Gotcha...

I just think it's time to get a stud safety.

I remember reading last year that Shanny wasn't high on Reggie Nelson because he knew that he would not get a chance to start year one. Shanny stated safety is a position they feel that when they draft a player they want to have a spot open from the get go. I hope this is the year.

We need a stud back there again.

Oh, I miss the days of Atwater.

I don't think he will be there at 12.... I find it hard to believe he will get past some of the teams that pick infront of us.

BigDaddyBronco
01-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Without Bates:

With Bates:

Good point, go all offense because we know the defense will still suck. We'll be like the Chefs were a few years ago.

CoachChaz
01-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Only problem with Cherilus is unless I am mistaken...he's never played LT.
________
LIST OF YAMAHA MOTORCYCLES HISTORY (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/List_of_Yamaha_motorcycles)

BigDaddyBronco
01-02-2008, 12:57 PM

As far as I'm concerned we need both a new LT and RT. Draft Cherilus for RT and get a FA such as Jordan Gross to play LT.

CoachChaz
01-02-2008, 01:00 PM
As far as I'm concerned we need both a new LT and RT. Draft Cherilus for RT and get a FA such as Jordan Gross to play LT.

If it keeps Pears off the field, I'm all for it.
________
Sterling heights assembly (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Sterling_Heights_Assembly)

BOSSHOGG30
01-02-2008, 01:03 PM

I wouldn't get him for LT. He would be depth and a possible starting right tackle. I already know who my #1 free agent target would be and that is Jordan Gross.

CoachChaz
01-02-2008, 01:08 PM
I wouldn't get him for LT. He would be depth and a possible starting right tackle. I already know who my #1 free agent target would be and that is Jordan Gross.

I was reading something somewhere that said Carolina was looking strongly at franchising him. I'd love to have him, but it looks like it may be a null point. Guess we'll have to see how it goes.
________
Vaporizers (http://vaporizer.org/reviews)

BOSSHOGG30
01-02-2008, 01:10 PM
I was reading something somewhere that said Carolina was looking strongly at franchising him. I'd love to have him, but it looks like it may be a null point. Guess we'll have to see how it goes.

That's the thing.. it's hard to say who you would go after till free agency shakes down

CoachChaz
01-02-2008, 01:18 PM
That's the thing.. it's hard to say who you would go after till free agency shakes down

For the most part...yes. Regardless of what happens in FA, I still jump on Phillips. After that it's a guess.
________
CBF1000 (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_CBF1000)

BOSSHOGG30
01-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Interesting fact:

Players picked at 12 the past 4 drafts:

2007-Marshawn Lynch
2006- Haloti Ngata
2005- Shawne Merriman
2004- Jonathan Vilma

CoachChaz
01-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Interesting fact:

2007-Marshawn Lynch
2006- Haloti Ngata
2005- Shawne Merriman
2004- Jonathan Vilma

So unless Shanny screws it up, we should be in good shape.
________
Buffalo Stamping Plant (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Buffalo_Stamping_Plant)

MOtorboat
01-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Interesting fact:

2007-Marshawn Lynch
2006- Haloti Ngata
2005- Shawne Merriman
2004- Jonathan Vilma

That must be making up for the three previous years to that...
2003 - Jimmy Kennedy
2002 - Wendell Bryant
2001 - Damione Lewis

BTW...all DTs...

JONtheBRONCO
01-02-2008, 03:44 PM
DEFENSE! O-Line!

CoachChaz
01-02-2008, 03:52 PM
That must be making up for the three previous years to that...
2003 - Jimmy Kennedy
2002 - Wendell Bryant
2001 - Damione Lewis

BTW...all DTs...

Well, if we add Ngata to that list, then 4 of the last 7 have been DT busts in the 12 spot. Maybe we should skip that til round 2.
________
NX250 (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_NX250)

Zweems56
01-02-2008, 04:00 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to going all defense this draft. LB with 1, DT with 2, then spread the rest out between safeties and DL, maybe another LB in there and a RB late in the game just to take a shot at it. Can't wait for the draft. I gotta brush up on my draftees though. I really dont know who we should pick at this point. I would be happy with Connor, Okam, a safety and forte for our first few picks.

underrated29
01-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Well, if we add Ngata to that list, then 4 of the last 7 have been DT busts in the 12 spot. Maybe we should skip that til round 2.

I havent been able to follow all the teams that much this year, but i dont recall or was unaware that holati had busted. Say it aint so....:shocked:

CoachChaz
01-02-2008, 04:08 PM
I havent been able to follow all the teams that much this year, but i dont recall or was unaware that holati had busted. Say it aint so....:shocked:

I guess it's hard to call him a bust, but I would expect good things from someone playing on that defense.
________
YAMAHA WIKI (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_Wiki)

underrated29
01-02-2008, 04:37 PM
no doubt.

I dont have the time to look, but am going to assume his numbers are just mid pack.

Who knows maybe he will try to pull a mario williams, not so good yr 1, and yr 2 major improvement. After all isnt his position one of the hardest to adjust too.

really i could care less, though. I am not a fan of them anyways.

fcspikeit
01-03-2008, 01:36 AM
Don't we actualy have the 42 over all pick?

I know the 11th pick in the second round is normaly the 43ed but beings NE had to forfeit there 32end pick that would make the 11th pick in the second round the 42 over all pick.

Also, why do we have the 11th pick in the second round instead of the 12th?

Is this correct,,,

1. 12th pick (#12 overall)
2. 11th pick (#43 overall)
3. --traded to Minnesota-- (#74 overall)
4. 9th pick (~#105 overall)*
5. 15th pick (~143 overall)*
6. 14th pick (~174 overall)*
7. 13th pick (~205 overall)*

*Overall draft pick in rounds 4-7 will be different from what is listed due to compensatory picks slotted "in between" each round.

MOtorboat
01-03-2008, 08:44 AM
Don't we actualy have the 42 over all pick?

I know the 11th pick in the second round is normaly the 43ed but beings NE had to forfeit there 32end pick that would make the 11th pick in the second round the 42 over all pick.

Also, why do we have the 11th pick in the second round instead of the 12th?

Is this correct,,,

*Overall draft pick in rounds 4-7 will be different from what is listed due to compensatory picks slotted "in between" each round.

We're in a rotation with Buffalo with the 11th and 12th picks in each round.

BTW, we have 2 4ths, 2 5ths, no sixth and 2 7ths.

MOtorboat
01-03-2008, 08:47 AM
1, 12
2, 11
4, 4 (Raiders, Warren Trade)
4, 11
5, 11
5, 21 (Washington, Lelie Trade)
7, 11
7, 20 (Tampa Bay, Plummer Trade)

The actual number is hard to say, because like fcspikeit said the compensatory picks.

MHCBill
01-03-2008, 09:35 AM
1, 12
2, 11
4, 4 (Raiders, Warren Trade)
4, 11
5, 11
5, 21 (Washington, Lelie Trade)
7, 11
7, 20 (Tampa Bay, Plummer Trade)

The actual number is hard to say, because like fcspikeit said the compensatory picks.Woudn't the 5, 11 be 5, 12 and the 7, 11 be 7, 12?

BOSSHOGG30
01-03-2008, 09:40 AM
I want Jamaal Charles... Where is he slated to go in the draft? 1st round? 2nd round?

MOtorboat
01-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Woudn't the 5, 11 be 5, 12 and the 7, 11 be 7, 12?

Yes...now that you say it...probably. Math isn't my strong suit.

tubby
01-03-2008, 11:24 AM
I want Jamaal Charles... Where is he slated to go in the draft? 1st round? 2nd round?

He is a stud. I think he will be there in the 2nd round.

Might hurt Selvin Youngs feelings though.

HolyDiver
01-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Sedrick Ellis
DT | (6'1", 305, 4.95) | USC

A disruptive, penetrating interior defensive lineman. At his best in a one-gap scheme but has some versatility due to experience as a nose tackle and three-technique. He is extremely disruptive versus the run. Displays outstanding initial burst and wins most of his battles with first-step quickness. Uses long arms to keep separation and does an excellent job of disengaging from blocks and keeping on the move. Recognition skills are very good and he's athletic enough to change directions and pursue once he penetrates the backfield. He consistently generates pressure as a pass rusher. Shows upper-echelon closing burst for his position and also does a good job of batting down passes once he realizes he's not getting to the QB. Plays with a great motor and works very hard on and off the field. Never gives up on a play and his effort is infectious.

Ellis arrived at USC in 2003 but received a medical redshirt after suffering a midseason left ankle fracture which required surgery. During his first three seasons (2004-'06) he saw action in 34 games making 86 total tackles, 16 tackles for loss, and nine sacks. Ellis missed some time in 2006 after having arthroscopic knee surgery. Ellis is a one-gap defensive tackle prospect that isn't for everybody but can be effective in the right scheme (see: Colts, Buccaneers, Eagles, etc.). If ranks among the elite prospects at his position and can solidify a spot in Round 1 with a healthy and productive senior season.

Philip Wheeler
ILB | (6'1", 234, 4.55) | GEORGIA TECH

Aggressive, reads keys quickly and makes plays behind the line of scrimmage. Uses hands well, delivers a strong punch at the point of attack and flashes the ability to shed blocks quickly. Has good not great range, takes sound angles to the ball and makes plays in pursuit. Wraps up upon contact and is a reliable open field tackler that flashes the ability to deliver the big hit. Gets good depth, reads quarterbacks' eyes and covers a lot of ground quickly when asked to drop into zone coverage. Times blitzes well, takes the shortest path to the quarterback and has above-average closing speed. Flashes the ability to run through blockers in the backfield and is a relentless pass rusher. Has experience lining up on the inside and is versatile.

Wheeler appeared in all 12 games in 2003, primarily on special teams, and finished with six total tackles. He was redshirted in 2004. During his next two seasons (2005-'06) Wheeler played in 26 games (26 starts) and recorded 153 total tackles, 26 tackles for loss, 13 sacks and four interceptions. Wheeler doesn't have prototypical size for an inside linebacker or cover skills for an outside linebacker but there's a lot to like about his instincts, closing speed and tackling. A strong senior season could land Wheeler a spot in the first two rounds of the 2008 draft.

* Player biographies are provided by Scouts Inc.

I would go with those two players.............I like Sedrick Ellis alot. He alone will make our Linebackers better.

fcspikeit
01-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Woudn't the 5, 11 be 5, 12 and the 7, 11 be 7, 12?

No,, Because of the compensatory picks.

Teams get the compensatory picks. Depending on how many players they lost to FA and how many the gained by FA. We did a lot in FA so we will not get any compensatory picks.

Anyways... If the teams ahead of us get compensatory picks that will push us back in the draft.

Just in case you didn't know... Tom Brady was a compensatory pick :listen:

MOtorboat
01-03-2008, 01:48 PM
No,, Because of the compensatory picks.

Teams get the compensatory picks. Depending on how many players they lost to FA and how many the gained by FA. We did a lot in FA so we will not get any compensatory picks.

Anyways... If the teams ahead of us get compensatory picks that will push us back in the draft.

Just in case you didn't know... Tom Brady was a compensatory pick :listen:

Those picks are always at the end of rounds, though, so we'll still have the 12th pick in the 5th and 7th and the 11th pick in the fourth. It's just a matter of what number that pick is overall.

mclark
01-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Without Bates:

With Bates:

I haven't read the whole thread but I'm assuming your reasoning is that, with Bates, we're going to need to win with our offense.

Very good.

mclark
01-03-2008, 08:11 PM
I fell in love with Sedrick Ellis (strickly in a football sense, Beef!) watching the Rose Bowl. But I'm thinking so did everyone else. He's got to be a top 7 pick now.

mclark
01-03-2008, 08:13 PM

Not so. The middle of this season Ngata was raising hell for Baltimore. I watched a couple games where he was the best player on the field. It just took him a little time to get going. That usually is the case for defensive linemen.

44 solo tackles, 19 assists, 63 tackles, 3 sacks, a forced fumble in 2007 playing defensive tackle. Is that a BUST season?

He'll be even better next year.

fcspikeit
01-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Those picks are always at the end of rounds, though, so we'll still have the 12th pick in the 5th and 7th and the 11th pick in the fourth. It's just a matter of what number that pick is overall.

Well, it's 6 one, a half dozen the other if you ask me :laugh:

If the are made before we pick, we are getting pushed back in the picking order. I guess, if the picks don't count in the normal picking order, then you are right.

Are you sure about that though? I am not disagreeing, but on this Site (http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=183421) it has us picking like this,,,

I know they are wrong about us having a 6th round pick, are they also wrong, about us picking 9th (4th) 15th (5th) and 13th (7th)?

Maybe they wrote that before we had the 12th pick? Even then, why would our pick # change ever round?

Lonestar
01-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Interesting fact:

2007-Marshawn Lynch
2006- Haloti Ngata
2005- Shawne Merriman
2004- Jonathan Vilma

So unless Shanny screws it up, we should be in good shape.

If bates is gone he certainly will.. Mikey could not find a decent first day defensive player to save his life. He has had LUCK with LBs over the years but something tells me someone else made those choices..

TXBRONC
01-03-2008, 08:38 PM
If bates is gone he certainly will.. Mikey could not find a decent first day defensive player to save his life. He has had LUCK with LBs over the years but something tells me someone else made those choices..

There is no such thing as LUCK. Something tells me you are clueless of what goes on in the Denver Broncos war room on draft day.

fcspikeit
01-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Denver has picks 12 and 43 of the 2008 NFL draft... if you are the GM, who do you take with the two picks?

If we have Bates and his scheme, I would pick like this.

1st. James Laurinaitis, MLB 6' 3" 244, or Dan Connor, MLB 6' 3" 233, (if Laurinaitis is taken)

2nd. Frank Okam, DT 6' 3" 320, Texas

If Bates and his system hit the road, I would pick like this...

1st. Sedrick Ellis, 6' 1" 295 or Dan Connor, 6' 3" 233, Penn State (if Ellis is taken)

2nd. Keith Rivers, OLB 6' 3" 230, or Frank Okam, DT 6' 3" 320 (if we got Connor in the 1st)

WARHORSE
01-03-2008, 11:20 PM
Well, it's 6 one, a half dozen the other if you ask me :laugh:

If the are made before we pick, we are getting pushed back in the picking order. I guess, if the picks don't count in the normal picking order, then you are right.

Are you sure about that though? I am not disagreeing, but on this Site (http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=183421) it has us picking like this,,,

I know they are wrong about us having a 6th round pick, are they also wrong, about us picking 9th (4th) 15th (5th) and 13th (7th)?

Maybe they wrote that before we had the 12th pick? Even then, why would our pick # change ever round?

Thats because we arent rotating with Buffalo as stated earlier, we are rotating with every team that had a 7-9 record.

So Cincy, same record, picked 9th due to easiest schedule, then New Orleans, then Buffalo had the same strength of schedule as us, but we beat them heads up in the first game, they select 10. Then its us, then carolina, then Chicago, then Detroit. So round 2 goes like this:

Starting with the eighth selection in the second round due to NEs forfeited pick.

New Orleans
Buffalo
Denver
Carolina
Chicago
Detroit
Cincy

Round 3 goes:

Buffalo
Denver
Carolina
Chicago
Detroit
Cincy
New Orleans

Round 4:

Denver
Carolina
Chicago
Detroit
Cincy
New Orleans
Buffalo

and so on.

fcspikeit
01-04-2008, 12:04 AM
Thats because we arent rotating with Buffalo as stated earlier, we are rotating with every team that had a 7-9 record.

So Cincy, same record, picked 9th due to easiest schedule, then New Orleans, then Buffalo had the same strength of schedule as us, but we beat them heads up in the first game, they select 10. Then its us, then carolina, then Chicago, then Detroit. So round 2 goes like this:

Starting with the eighth selection in the second round due to NEs forfeited pick.

New Orleans
Buffalo
Denver
Carolina
Chicago
Detroit
Cincy

Round 3 goes:

Buffalo
Denver
Carolina
Chicago