http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_13669333

A look at the Broncos remaining schedule
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 10/29/2009 12:30:20 PM MDT
Updated: 10/29/2009 12:45:52 PM MDT

Welcome back and keep the queries coming

Today's comes from Rob Ridley in Grand Junction:

Q: Could you do a comparison of the Broncos schedule and the record they have achieved thus far vs. the other "top" teams? With the remaining schedule how does it compare to some of the other playoff contenders?

A: Rob, I think you have to look at the AFC because that's what will determine where the Broncos would play any postseason games. The Colts are the AFC's other undefeated team and scouts all over the league say Peyton Manning is playing better than he ever has — those same scouts said they didn't think it was possible for him to ramp it up much more, but he has.

The Broncos will face the Colts Dec. 13 in Indy so there is a head-to-head meeting there to settle the issue if they are still tied or close to tied at that point. Facing the Colts offense, with homefield advantage under the roof in the playoffs is not a prospect any defense would enjoy, especially if Manning's play remains as impeccable as it has been.

That Colts game, to go with the Thanksgiving night game here against the Giants, as the back-to-back weeks of Ravens and Steelers to go with a late-season trip to Philadelphia, are likely the Broncos' toughest remaining games if things stay on the current course around the league.

They also go to Kansas City in December and I don't have to remind the long-time fans what a December trip to Arrowhead has been like for the Broncos, no matter what the Chiefs' record is at the time.

The Colts still also have games left against Houston (twice), New England, Baltimore and the Jets. They also finish the season in Buffalo and while the Bills have struggled mightily, dome teams that play outside late in the year in Buffalo don't often do well.

Beyond the Colts, the Broncos already have wins in hand over New England (5-2) and Cincinnati (5-2) and play the Steelers (5-2) a week from Monday. So they do have the ability to have a head-to-head tiebreaker advantage against most of the teams that figure to be in the AFC's homefield race when all is said and done.

In terms of schedule the Broncos play in a division where the Chiefs and Raiders are in dismal shape so that gives them a little boost in terms of comparisons. The Colts have five games remaining on the schedule against teams that currently have winning records — two more games against those who are .500 - the Steelers have three games remaining against teams that currently have winning records, the Bengals have three games remaining against teams that have winning records and the Patriots have four, including New Orleans and Indy.

Overall, in terms of the Broncos' play, I don't know that a lot of the scouts around the league I talk to believe any team has really challenged them running the ball, however.

And maybe nobody wants to play with that kind of patience any more if things don't go well early on in a game and the Broncos have certainly been good at setting that tone early against the run — that it's going to be difficult. Dallas had the best run game the Broncos had seen thus far going into that week, but the Cowboys simply chose not to run, even with the lead for much of the second half, running the ball just seven times after halftime and just four times on first down after halftime.

So that's probably the next test, whether or not the Broncos could stand up against a team willing and able to pound away at them some.

Of course with everybody going so pass-happy these days because the structure of the rules book almost demands that you throw the ball, the Broncos may not have to face that issue either.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

CraigHwk
10-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Like many others have probably said, looking at the schedule now doesn't seem as scary as it did pre-season.

Baltimore and Pittsburgh will be tough games, but totally winnable after what I've seen from them lately.

The Giants don't look as tough as they did earlier on, but again will be a tough game if they don't have a complete meltdown.

Colts? eh, well... No one expected us to go undefeated, and I think we're going to get romped during this game. As long as we're competitive, I'm happy.

Washington, Eagles, Oakland, and KC are all messes. Yah, anything can happen, but we should own those games.

San Diego is a wildcard. That game can go either way.

Best case senario? 15-1 :laugh:
Worst case? 10-6

I'll go with 12-4 to finish the season.
:elefant:

Shazam!
10-30-2009, 11:01 AM
After Dallas, NE and SD, every game is winnable.

TXBRONC
10-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Like many others have probably said, looking at the schedule now doesn't seem as scary as it did pre-season.

Baltimore and Pittsburgh will be tough games, but totally winnable after what I've seen from them lately.

The Giants don't look as tough as they did earlier on, but again will be a tough game if they don't have a complete meltdown.

Colts? eh, well... No one expected us to go undefeated, and I think we're going to get romped during this game. As long as we're competitive, I'm happy.

Washington, Eagles, Oakland, and KC are all messes. Yah, anything can happen, but we should own those games.

San Diego is a wildcard. That game can go either way.

Best case senario? 15-1 :laugh:
Worst case? 10-6

I'll go with 12-4 to finish the season.
:elefant:

Even the Colts game doesn't appear as menacing to me as it did beginning of the year.

claymore
10-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Even the Colts game doesn't appear as menacing to me as it did beginning of the year.

Its like we are built to beat the Colts.

TXBRONC
10-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Its like we are built to beat the Colts.

I saw the Colts vs. the Dolphins and while I'm awe of the fact that Manning only needed 15 minutes spread over the length of game to beat the Dolphins I know they are beatable. They still don't run well and they still have trouble defending the run so if our offense can keep from wasting scoring opportunities and not turn the ball over I think they have a good chance of beating the Colts.