PDA

View Full Version : Elvis Dumervil realizes he’s on an early pace to break the NFL record for sacks in a season. The Denver Broncos outside linebacker is going to try to ignore that.

CrazyHorse
10-29-2009, 08:35 AM
http://www.gazette.com/sports/elvis-64385-realizes-broncos.html

Elvis Dumervil realizes he’s on an early pace to break the NFL record for sacks in a season. The Denver Broncos outside linebacker is going to try to ignore that.

Dumervil tied an NFL record for fastest to 10 sacks in a season, getting there in six games. The other player to get 10 sacks in six games was New York Giants end Michael Strahan in 2001. That was the year Strahan set the NFL record with 22.5 sacks.

Dumervil is on pace for 27 sacks this season, which would shatter the record.

“They’re going to start talking about it, but I’ve got to continue to do what I do and not get off track and worry about those things,” Dumervil said. “When you start thinking about that, you get out of your defensive strategy and try to make individual plays.”

Strahan also sounded like he isn’t going to lose sleep over his record being challenged, if Dumervil does it.

“I played 2b a champion,” Strahan said on his Twitter feed in response to a question about Dumervil. “Records are meant to be broken!! I put in 15 years and left a legacy ... That’s what its about. Not record.”

The Broncos’ varied use of Dumervil could help him stay productive. After playing right end almost exclusively before this season, Dumervil switches from right outside linebacker to the left side, and sometimes plays an end position. Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said that has helped Dumervil avoid double teams.

“It becomes difficult as a coordinator on the offensive side, to say ‘We want the back to help the tackle,” McDaniels said. “If you don’t know which tackle needs the help, it’s hard to tell the back where to go.”

Dumervil is still learning outside linebacker, which is a new position for him. He said he felt he missed two or three sacks Monday night against San Diego. If Dumervil continues to improve and the Broncos can help him avoid double teams by moving him around, perhaps he can break Strahan’s record.

“If it happens it would be great,” Dumervil said. “If not, fine, as long as we’re winning.”

I'd really like to see him break the record. In Minnesota all I ever hear about is Jared Allen. It's good to hear it's not that main thing on his mind as he puts winning first. He's done well considering this his first year at a new position. I really hope we can re-sign him.

Edit: Sorry, I should have probably cut the title.

BroncoInSkinland
10-29-2009, 08:55 AM
I think Doom is in for a good couple of weeks coming up. Weak O-line in Baltimore should let us get a few sacks on Flacco, and Big Ben of course holds the ball way too long. I really wouldn't be surprised to see him have 5 or 6 between those two games.

Lonestar
10-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Let's just hope this does not go straight to his AGENTS head. And that Doom remembers who made him the offfer and who stuck by him last year. As well as who put him into posistion to be a record setter.

Sent via Blackberry by altell.

Shazam!
10-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Longest thread title ever.

jrelway
10-29-2009, 09:58 AM
this is good. lets hope teams put too much focus on containing dumervil so it frees up other players. its time for others to eat as well. go doom!

broncofaninfla
10-29-2009, 09:58 AM
With Baltimore loving the screen plays I'm guessing we won't see as many outside blitz packages this week. Could be a similar defensive gameplan as the San Diego game where we blitzed up the middle a lot.

BroncoInSkinland
10-29-2009, 10:00 AM
Let's just hope this does not go straight to his AGENTS head. And that Doom remembers who made him the offfer and who stuck by him last year. As well as who put him into posistion to be a record setter.

Sent via Blackberry by altell.

Agreed, but I think they will be willing to pay him fairly, and bet that after seeing what kind of success the new system brought him, he won't be too anxious to test the waters elsewhere.

zaga
10-29-2009, 12:26 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/kerry_byrne/10/28/parity/

It's interesting to hear this line of dialogue after the story in SI yesterday discussing the death of parity in the NFL (link above). One of the reasons, supposedly, that some franchises have chased Bellicheck proteges is that they want to discover his ability to keep the Pats perennial winners. Will McD finally be the protege to show he has that knowledge? With a current top 5 team and a 2010 draft to be envied, I think we got the right protege to not only draft well, but keep most of our studs.

I hope anyway!! :)

PS: I love how the article calls Denver part of the "Big Four"

weazel
10-29-2009, 12:27 PM
I just hope we don't have to break the bank to keep him. The Broncos always give away the players that can get to the QB, this has to stop.

Sent via HP desktop by weazel.

TXBRONC
10-29-2009, 01:53 PM
I don't care if Dumervil gets the record as long as he playing the way he's been. If he breaks the record I'll be happy for him it's just not as important as the team continuing to win games.

The Glue Factory
10-29-2009, 01:56 PM
I just hope we don't have to break the bank to keep him. The Broncos always give away the players that can get to the QB, this has to stop.

That tendency of the old HC (that shall remain unnamed) should be gone. As was the tendency to keep defensive project players that had no business playing on an NFL team let alone STARTING! :tsk: McDaniels put to rest half of that monkey business. Hopefully he continues the trend.

SOCALORADO.
10-29-2009, 02:01 PM
That tendency of the old HC (that shall remain unnamed) should be gone. As was the tendency to keep defensive project players that had no business playing on an NFL team let alone STARTING! :tsk: McDaniels put to rest half of that monkey business. Hopefully he continues the trend.

Agreed. I was getting real sick of the Hamza Abdullah's getting a "shot" in DEN. Meh. Just soooo sick of it.
Part of the reason i just wasnt suprised or bummed when Shanny got canned.
It was just time. Things were stagnant.
Such a new blast of energy watching this team play.

nevcraw
10-29-2009, 08:12 PM
sent via hp desktop by weazel.

lol!

rcsodak
10-29-2009, 10:12 PM
I think Doom is in for a good couple of weeks coming up. Weak O-line in Baltimore should let us get a few sacks on Flacco, and Big Ben of course holds the ball way too long. I really wouldn't be surprised to see him have 5 or 6 between those two games.

Balti's LT is back, and it's not like Flacco has been getting sacked alot. 10 through 6 wks!

And pitt is starting to run the ball more, so we'll have to see.

Interesting interview today on sirius with Flacco.
He's about as cocky as Rivers!

Other than that, he says they will be attacking denver's strength, which is the secondary. So lets hope Champ n company are up the the challenge!

TXBRONC
10-29-2009, 10:49 PM

Flacco has only been sacked 10 times this year. I think their weakness is their receiving corp.

BroncoInSkinland
10-30-2009, 06:38 AM
Flacco has only been sacked 10 times this year. I think their weakness is their receiving corp.

Have you watched them play? I am not trying to be argumentative with that question, just curious. Being local I have seen their games vs NE and MIN in their entirety, and most of the games against Cin, Cle, and SD. Flacco may only have 10 sacks, but he has been hurried in most of those games and put on his back much more often. The receiving core is weak, but that is only going to add to the possibility of getting a sack as Flacco searches for a target. Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying Flacco is bad in any way shape or form, as a matter of fact I think he is in the top 10-15 in the NFL right now, with a ceiling higher than that, but he is young, and the better parts of his line are young as well. We will find out for sure in two days, I might just be over excited cause it is the first live Broncos game I will have seen since Elway played the Colts in Baltimore.

TXBRONC
10-30-2009, 08:33 AM
Have you watched them play? I am not trying to be argumentative with that question, just curious. Being local I have seen their games vs NE and MIN in their entirety, and most of the games against Cin, Cle, and SD. Flacco may only have 10 sacks, but he has been hurried in most of those games and put on his back much more often. The receiving core is weak, but that is only going to add to the possibility of getting a sack as Flacco searches for a target. Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying Flacco is bad in any way shape or form, as a matter of fact I think he is in the top 10-15 in the NFL right now, with a ceiling higher than that, but he is young, and the better parts of his line are young as well. We will find out for sure in two days, I might just be over excited cause it is the first live Broncos game I will have seen since Elway played the Colts in Baltimore.

I've seen parts of the Cincinnati and San Diego games and most of the New England and Minnesota games. They look good to me from what I saw but I admit I don't follow them that closely so it's very likely I've missed it.

BroncoInSkinland
10-30-2009, 02:04 PM
I've seen parts of the Cincinnati and San Diego games and most of the New England and Minnesota games. They look good to me from what I saw but I admit I don't follow them that closely so it very likely I've missed it.

I could be way off base, particularly considering the two teams that I saw games in their entirety were NE and Min, both of whom have pretty good pass rushers, but I think there is a weak link there. I will give Flacco this though, he is a tough SOB, easier to take down than Big Ben, but I swear he is like a weeble-wobble, just pops back to his feet after every hit.

TXBRONC
10-30-2009, 02:14 PM
I could be way off base, particularly considering the two teams that I saw games in their entirety were NE and Min, both of whom have pretty good pass rushers, but I think there is a weak link there. I will give Flacco this though, he is a tough SOB, easier to take down than Big Ben, but I swear he is like a weeble-wobble, just pops back to his feet after every hit.

I will take your word for it. Like I said I've haven't an entire game them playing.

GEM
10-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Agreed, but I think they will be willing to pay him fairly, and bet that after seeing what kind of success the new system brought him, he won't be too anxious to test the waters elsewhere.

Yep, I don't think McD is the same as Shanny, let all the pass rush and defensive up and coming stars go just for the sake of saving a buck....which actually ends up putting you $29.6 mil in the cap dead hole.

sneakers
11-01-2009, 03:08 AM
I like how long the title of this thread is.

ursamajor
11-01-2009, 08:44 PM
http://www.gazette.com/sports/elvis-64385-realizes-broncos.html

I'd really like to see him break the record. In Minnesota all I ever hear about is Jared Allen. It's good to hear it's not that main thing on his mind as he puts winning first. He's done well considering this his first year at a new position. I really hope we can re-sign him.

Edit: Sorry, I should have probably cut the title.

This thread is on pace to break the BroncosForums MB record for Title length :laugh: ;)

Lonestar
11-01-2009, 11:33 PM
I'm guessing he is no longer on pace to break the record after not getting near the QB today..

had some nice in space tackles but no sacks today..

TXBRONC
11-02-2009, 09:22 AM
I'm guessing he is no longer on pace to break the record after not getting near the QB today..

had some nice in space tackles but no sacks today..

This the third game this year that Dumervil has gone without sack so I don't know if it would knock off the pace.