PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's New Year's Day Mock

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Round 1
Kenny Phillips | S | Miami | 6’2” | 210
Instant Playmaker! We still go after Hamlin or Gibril Wilson in FA, but we have no safeties as it stands now. Lynch needs to retire due to his neck and Hamza is garbage.

Round 2
Jonathan Goff | MLB | Vanderbilt | 6’4” | 240
OR
Beau Bell | OLB | UNLV| 6’3” | 245
OR
Jerod Mayo | MLB | Tennessee | 6’2” | 230...if he declares
A bigger LB that is much needed in Denver. I don't care which one, cuz they can all ball and are hard nosed. I'm sick of seeing our LBs getting pushed around. For those of you who heard me say in the Fall that Mayo was overrated, this year has changed my mind. He has really stepped up as a leader on this team and w/ the DTs being such a problem, he has more than held his own.

Round 3 (via Foxworth trade)
Ezra Butler | OLB | Nevada | 6’2” | 248
See above.

Round 4a
Dre Moore| DT | Maryland | 6’4” | 311
Moore would be a nice complement to Marcus Thomas and has a bit more room to grow. May be late for Moore, but reports are conflicting. If not him, Ahtyba Rubin who tips it at 326 would also be good for Bates.

Round 4b
Kirk Barton| OT | Ohio State | 6’6” | 310
An experienced, solid, sound OT who can develop for a couple of seasosn and/or be solid depth. I want a FA OT and Harris should be OK at the other spot. Barton is a project, but plays smart and is fundamentally sound. Very well coached.

Round 4c/5a
Darius Reynaud | WR/Returnman | West Virginia | 5’10” | 200
Dude is a flat out player. He is basically the only go to WR on a running team. He is a THREAT! Although short, he is sturdy and stout. He can be a dangerous returnman or be a great complement to our current WR corps. Donnie Avery of Houston is a burner who could fit nicely here as well.

Round 5a/b
Brian Johnston| DE | Gardner-Webb | 6’5” | 280
Comes from a small school, but is very productive. Has the size and athleticism to be a solid contributor on ST and as a backup behind Moss and Crowder. It'd also be nice to have his big body for short yardage situations.

Round 7a
Antonio Reynolds| DE | Tennessee | 6’3” | 270
Plays hard and comes from a very good program with a solid track record for producing defensive linemen...and pros all around. Reynolds never quits and, like Brian Johnston, can be a solid contributor on ST and as a backup behind Moss and Crowder.

Round 7b
Chris Brown| TE/FB | Tennessee | 6’3” | 250
FOOTBALL PLAYER! As a UT fan, I can attest this dude just flat out contributes. Used a sa FB or TE, he has great hands out of the backfield. I don't know how many 3rd down passes went to him out of the backfield...too many to count. Simply put, he'd just be great to have on the roster.

ALSO...I have no issue w/ swapping Dan Connor for Kenny Phillips and then Craig Steltz, S, LSU or Jamie Silva, S, Boston College for one of the LBs.

This mock is based on the assumption that Denver gets FA help at OT and DT. I am also assuming Sedrick Ellis is gone by 12 and Ray Maulauga stays at USC. Even with a rookie Safety, I'd still like a FA there as well. Hamlin would be a dream, but Gibril Wilson would be fine.

TXBRONC
01-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Nice work Assassin. The only thing I probably wouldn't do is draft two linebackers.

slim
01-01-2008, 08:41 PM
I work Assassin. The only thing I probably wouldn't do is draft two linebackers.

:confused:

TXBRONC
01-01-2008, 08:52 PM
:confused:

I fixed it.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2008, 08:52 PM
I work Assassin. The only thing I probably wouldn't do is draft two linebackers.

Well...what we have now isn't working. I have no faith in any of em but DJ. I want 2 LBs no matter what else we do in this offseason.

It's also more than just the LB spots. We have special teams holes to cover as well. LBs are often good ST players.

Bronco9798
01-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Hard to do a mock when FA hasn't even started, or ended.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Yeah...but do ya expect any different from me?

Bronco9798
01-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Yeah...but do ya expect any different from me?

LOL,,not at all.....:D

DenBronx
01-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Hard to do a mock when FA hasn't even started, or ended.

never too early to start prospecting. besides our season is done and might as well get a head start.

i like the mock though. getting a safety is good and i like stocking up on olb's. we need to draft with the mindset that dj stays in the middle. and id rather us go after universal linebackers that can play multiple positions in case a few moves need to be made.

underrated29
01-02-2008, 06:02 PM
nice.

Just curious as to why 2 de's and not another s,rb,wr,dt,ol,lb,cb?

I know thats a lot of other positions that may or may not need filling and for that late most wont turn out to be anything, but to me we are pretty stacked at de with moss,crow,doom,neezer,engel,(i think i am missing someone here?).

So wouldnt we be better off getting some back ups to our dt's or safty since we got phillips and hamza and...idk.

just curious.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-02-2008, 06:08 PM
nice.

Just curious as to why 2 de's and not another s,rb,wr,dt,ol,lb,cb?

I know thats a lot of other positions that may or may not need filling and for that late most wont turn out to be anything, but to me we are pretty stacked at de with moss,crow,doom,neezer,engel,(i think i am missing someone here?).

So wouldnt we be better off getting some back ups to our dt's or safty since we got phillips and hamza and...idk.

just curious.

Big enough to help on the Dline and athletic enough to play Special Teams. I think Neezer is expendable, as is engelberger. Inexpensive depth here could allow us to lose their somewhat larger contracts. I also think that there is more late potential here than at other positions. The safeties are very weak that late and the OL already has a bunch of bodies w/ Nalen, Hamilton, Myers, Kuper, Pears, hoss, etc PLUS the 4th rounder OT in Barton and a FA OT. CB or DT could work late as well...but again, I see more potential plamakers at the DE spots. I want the WVU WR in round 5 and RB is set for now.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Fiesta Bowl announcers just said Darius Reynaud squats @ 700lbs. Also has 11 TDs in a very run heavy offense. I'd love to land this dude.

TXBRONC
01-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Well...what we have now isn't working. I have no faith in any of em but DJ. I want 2 LBs no matter what else we do in this off season.

It's also more than just the LB spots. We have special teams holes to cover as well. LBs are often good ST players.

Winborn played very well in Gold's absence my opinion. I would like to see him get a shot at becoming a stater.

One other thing I wouldn't do is trade Foxworth.

MOtorboat
01-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Kenny Phillips - not gonna argue with that.

Jerod Mayo - He plays basketball...for USC.

Ezra Butler - There has to be someone Better than Ezra.

Dre Moore - Too many Dres

Kirk Barton - His name is Kirk...

Darius Reynaud - I think he was a commander in the Crusades

Brian Johnston - Don't know who he is.

Antonio Reynolds - Quit being a homer.

Chris Brown|- Ditto..besides, doesn't he play for the Titans...

Gold, Jerry. Gold!

Skinny
01-02-2008, 09:43 PM
I'm all for Phillips in the 1st. He may be the best choice if we sit still at #12. Can help in both the pass and the run at the Safety spot. Him and Hamza could cover alot of ground with a physical presence.

Round 2
Jerod Mayo | MLB | Tennessee | 6’2” | 230...if he declares

Of the three, i prefer Mayo. When it comes to OLB, i'm not high on them being much taller than 6'2 and weight wise, around 230-235. Reasoning in the height is do to the hips and change of direction. It's a neccesity (as is being light on yer feet, weight) to being able to cover R.B.s out of the backfeild and T.E.s that are match-up problems for L.B.s ... that's just me ...

Round 7b
Chris Brown| TE/FB | Tennessee | 6’3” | 250

Love this selection ... a big bruising, pad poppin, hole openin battering ram.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-02-2008, 09:47 PM
although Owen Schmidt is looking stellar so far tonight.

MOtorboat
01-02-2008, 09:48 PM
although Owen Schmidt is looking stellar so far tonight.

He's awesome...I think he's going to go pretty high, though...second round maybe even...

MOtorboat
01-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Darius Reynaud | WR/Returnman | West Virginia | 5’10” | 200[/B]
Dude is a flat out player. He is basically the only go to WR on a running team. He is a THREAT! Although short, he is sturdy and stout. He can be a dangerous returnman or be a great complement to our current WR corps. Donnie Avery of Houston is a burner who could fit nicely here as well.

Just scored a TD in the Fiesta Bowl...

SmilinAssasSin27
01-02-2008, 09:51 PM
Kenny Phillips - not gonna argue with that.

Jerod Mayo - He plays basketball...for USC...sorry, that'd be OJ Mayo

Ezra Butler - There has to be someone Better than Ezra.

Dre Moore - Too many Dres...it's all about Dre

Kirk Barton - His name is Kirk...but we need some preppies on the team

Darius Reynaud - I think he was a commander in the Crusades

Brian Johnston - Don't know who he is.

Antonio Reynolds - Quit being a homer...Dude, it's the 7th round

Chris Brown|- Ditto..besides, doesn't he play for the Titans...

Gold, Jerry. Gold!

See bolded commenst above

SmilinAssasSin27
01-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Just scored a TD in the Fiesta Bowl...

I love that dude. He won't be a star, but a definite contributor.