PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Royal to be named AFC Special Teams Player of the Month

BroncoWave
10-28-2009, 05:41 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9516

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Broncos are coming off a bye week -- a chance to rest, relax and heal from some injuries. It is also a time to get a head start on preparing for their next opponent, the Baltimore Ravens.

The only catch? The Ravens are coming off their bye week as well.

"You don't usually get two teams that have two weeks to prepare for each other, so you can kind of typically say it's maybe a chess match," Mario Haggan said. "I'm pretty sure both teams went in and self scouted, saw some things they were doing wrong and tried to correct those things. So it will be interesting to see what kind of game plan they have on Sunday."

The Broncos know their game plan will have to be top notch against a Baltimore team many thought was one of the best in the league after a 3-0 start.

The Ravens have since lost three in a row, albeit by a total of 11 points. For that reason, Baltimore defensive leader Ray Lewis said he feels the bye week couldn't have come at a better time.

"The reason why our bye was good is because you go through the frustrations of the way we lose -- in New England, whether you make a catch in that game, or you make a stop in Cincinnati or another catch in Cincinnati, or whether you make a field goal or not miss a field goal (against Minnesota) -- it's all one play," Lewis said. "So coming back, having the bye when we had it, I think it really corrected a lot of little stuff."

As Haggan said, that was part of the Broncos' bye week plans as well -- self evaluation. And with both teams correcting the little things, all the focus can turn to the upcoming opponent. As far as Baltimore goes, Kyle Orton said their hard-hitting defense is still a unit to be reckoned with, led by perennial Pro Bowlers Lewis and Ed Reed.

"I just think they present challenges all over the field for us," Orton said. "We are going to have to bring our 'A' game for sure. This is a defense that has been great for a number of years and it really hasn't changed this year. They are an aggressive style of defense, try to score, and we are going to have to hang on to the football and make the plays when they are there."

Something that hasn't necessarily been a typical Ravens trait in years past is a high-powered offense -- but Baltimore owns the No. 5 total offense in the league, led by some young playmakers and a veteran at wide receiver.

The unit is averaging almost 400 yards per game, and putting up more than 28 points per contest. It will certainly be a test for the Broncos' No. 2 overall defense, allowing just 262.5 yards and 11 points per game.

"As you look at them on film, they're doing a lot of good things," Haggan said. "Joe Flacco, being a young quarterback, he doesn't play like it. They've got (Derrick) Mason making plays, Ray Rice is a big part of their offense this year -- so they're pretty explosive."

So even though the Ravens are a .500 team after losing three consecutive contests, Haggan knows the Broncos certainly can't take them lightly.

"When you've got leaders like Ray Lewis and Ed Reed and those guys on defense, and the history they have of winning -- they were in the AFC Championship Game last year, if I recall correctly -- so three games, you can throw that out the window," he said. "I'm sure they're thinking the same way we are -- one game this weekend."

"We've definitely got to go in with our minds right and be ready to play a physical football game."

SPECIAL TEAMS: TWO FOR TWO

The Broncos' special teams unit has started off the season on quite the hot streak. For the second consecutive month, a Bronco has won the AFC Special Teams Player of the Month award. The NFL informed the Broncos on Wednesday that Eddie Royal will be named AFC Special Teams Player of the Month for October.

Matt Prater came away with September's award after making 7-of-9 field goal attempts, including all three of his kicks from 40 or more yards. The kicker was also a perfect 5-for-5 on extra points, and booted 13 of his 15 kickoffs into the end zone, notching seven touchbacks in the process.

Now it's Royal's turn to take home the special teams honor for October, as the sophomore receiver has been on fire as a returner. In Week 6 in San Diego he became only the 11th player in NFL history to score a touchdown on a kickoff -- 93 yards -- and a punt return -- 71 yards -- in the same game. He joins Cleveland's Joshua Cribbs as one of just two players in the NFL's top 10 in both punt and kickoff return average.

Royal's award marks just the fifth time a Denver player has received the honor since it was initiated by the league in 1993. It was the first such award for Prater, and is the first for Royal as well.

Really cool picture in the article too:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/Images/Top%20Stories/2009/royal_ap_091028.jpg

girler
10-28-2009, 05:48 PM
:love: I am SUCH a proud mama!!! :Cry:

Iron Horse72
10-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Nice, congrats Eddie!

TXBRONC
10-28-2009, 09:13 PM
Congratulations to you Eddie Royal. Here to many more happy returns. :beer:

camdisco24
10-28-2009, 10:17 PM
WOOOHOOO! :first:
Congrats Eddie.
Keep em' coming! :salute:

Kaylore
10-29-2009, 02:05 AM
Congrats to him, but for the whole month? Royal only had one amazing game against the Chargers and then didn't play one of the weeks. There isn't someone who's been more consistently excellent over a four game period?

broncofaninfla
10-29-2009, 08:16 AM
Congrats to him, but for the whole month? Royal only had one amazing game against the Chargers and then didn't play one of the weeks. There isn't someone who's been more consistently excellent over a four game period?

Honestly I was surprised about this myself. Happy for Eddie though and hope this is the first of many!!

CoachChaz
10-29-2009, 08:29 AM
Yeah...first thing I thought when I saw it. One game gets you an honor?

Iron Horse72
10-29-2009, 11:34 AM
Look for Eddie to have about 10 catches this week.

jrelway
10-29-2009, 12:09 PM
yea its only one game, but to have a kickoff return with a punt return to back that up is damn impressive.

TXBRONC
10-29-2009, 12:46 PM
I suppose he won the award because there are only a handful of guys that have returned a kick off and a punt for touchdowns in the same game.

weazel
10-29-2009, 12:59 PM
if one good game gets you a player of the month, Orton should get season MVP for having 6 good games!

MileHighCrew
10-29-2009, 02:49 PM
Way to go Eddie