PDA

View Full Version : Can we fix both lines in one year?

MHCBill
01-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Oline is a question mark.

Hamilton and Nalen didn't play most of the year and Lepsis has now retired. 3/5 of the projected opening day line-up from 2007 are far from sure things for 2008.

Dline is just BAD.

We have major problems with the Dline. We have a coach who wants to use his scheme with his type of players to begin the season with, but by the end of the year this same coach is using a different scheme with types of players he doesn't want.

As many questions as the Oline has I think we have bigger problems by far on the Dline. I'm not so sure that we should not go away from our current trend of heavy drafting for a particular weak area like we did in '05 (corners) and in '07 (Dline). Draft Dline this draft again???

I believe in an attack style defensive. What two common factors do all great defenses posses? First, they ATTACK and DICTATE. Second, they have a good defensive line. We don't have either.

Find a new coordinator. I could care less what his name is, but I do care about what he believes in and what his prior coaching actions show. He needs to be fearless and aggressive. I'm sorry, but I really liked the defense Coyer ran in '05.

Thomas is a waste as a DT if he is not allowed to penetrate. Let him loose. Continue to add to the Dline with big, aggressive defensive lineman. With today's game of constantly rotating lineman Moss and Doom will have their place. Passing downs and the occassional rotation in for a series here and there.

I've said it before, but I want STARTING defensive ends in our 4-3 to be the size of defensive ends in the 3-4. 285-300lbs DE's... 310-330lbs DT's... Let them stop the run and force third and longs. Then unleash Moss, Crowder and Doom with varied blitz packages. Sometimes just four down linemen rush, sometimes four down linemen and a linebacker, sometimes four down linemen and two linebackers, sometimes four down linemen and one linebacker and a safety... I think I made my point.

Dictate to the offense. Make them guess. Attack the pass at the point of origin. (Maybe the only thing I've ever agreed with Zam about.)

I just don't think we can fix both lines in one offseason. The game of football is truly won in the trenches. For the current Broncos other than special teams there is no bigger weakness than the offensive and defensive lines. There are some building blocks in place along both lines, but without a new aggressive defense and talent I just don't think 2008 will be incredibly better than 2007.

TXBRONC
01-01-2008, 02:05 PM
The short answer the way I see it is that yes both lines are fixable in one year is possible however, that means on offense Nalen and Hamilton return.

Where you and I differ is on defensive. I think most of the really good defensive ends do not come close to 300 lbs guys like Strahan, Freeney, and Peppers come to mind those three range between 270 - 280lbs. Personally I don't think we need to add another defensive end because there is already big investment in Moss, Crowder, and Dumervil.

The problem on the line is defensive tackle. Also from what I'm understanding right now Bates' system never called for his defensive tackles to play two gap before or after the personnel changes.

Other than that I agree with you.

CoachChaz
01-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Right now the only problem with the D-line is youth and the scheme. Put these same guys in a traditional 4-3 and I see alot of good things. The O-line is a mess. Matty retiring simply means Pears is stuck there and that scares me.
________
Trade Credit Insurance Forums (http://www.insurance-forums.org/trade-credit-insurance/)

DenBronx
01-01-2008, 02:17 PM
I say no. This team has way too many holes to fix on both sides of the ball. It's a giant mess. It will be even more of a mess if Nalen and Hamilton (due to injuries) retire.

This would mean then I am officially on the bandwagon to go get a couple of good free agent linemen for the offense. Starks, Faneca, Adams. ect. This wasn't my first choice because I want us to get younger but we will somehow have to bandaide these positions. We don't know what Ryan Harris can do yet so he is unproven. Myers filled in good the last few games but what will he be like next year? Hopefully Hamilton does comeback and him and Myers battles it out. Myers is really transitional in many areas which makes him valuable to this team.

I'll give my thoughts along with what I think will happen to the D-line more in detail later....

silkamilkamonico
01-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Both lines are fixable, but the only way it's going to happen is for Denver to get extremely lucky in their acquisitions.

So yes, it is fixable via luck.

broncogirl7
01-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Honestly, I think the O-line will work right now and we can always pickup offensive players later. Right now we need to concentrate on the D-line. **New Coach would help**

topscribe
01-01-2008, 03:19 PM
I wrote a little essay on this and posted it in the Articles forum if anyone
is a glutton for punishment and cares to read it. :D

-----

Bronco9798
01-01-2008, 03:21 PM
You need a combination of people getting better and making a few signings/draft picks. It can be done with both. Be interesting to see how the off-season shapes up.

omac
01-01-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm hoping Bates works out next season, and many seasons after, but I think we should draft like a DT that could work well both in Bates' scheme as well as other schemes, just in case Bates doesn't stay long. That still means a big quality DT. Hopefully, we can get 2 of them.

I'm concerned about the OL, but clearly DL is the much bigger problem. After DT, we can take a flyer on an OT.

The other big question is will Lynch be retiring? I hope he plays one more year.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2008, 06:26 PM
It can easily be done...but not a guarantee. We need health people...plain and simple. Moss is getting bigger and Crowder was a rookie...as was Thomas...but we need em all on the field. W/ health on the DL, we have 1 major hole...the other DT spot. We draft or sign that DT and we'll at least be solid there. Maybe not dominant, but solid.

Same w/ the OLine. IF Harris is OK and Nalen and Hamilton both return, we're fine. Again, not great and ned to develop some youth, but way better off then in 2007 w/ all the injuries.

Again...no guarantees, but it is that simple.

TXBRONC
01-01-2008, 06:37 PM
It can easily be done...but not a guarantee. We need health people...plain and simple. Moss is getting bigger and Crowder was a rookie...as was Thomas...but we need em all on the field. W/ health on the DL, we have 1 major hole...the other DT spot. We draft or sign that DT and we'll at least be solid there. Maybe not dominant, but solid.

Same w/ the OLine. IF Harris is OK and Nalen and Hamilton both return, we're fine. Again, not great and ned to develop some youth, but way better off then in 2007 w/ all the injuries.

Again...no guarantees, but it is that simple.

Getting another quality defenisve tackle could make the job of the defensive ends easier.