PDA

View Full Version : Do you think that the defense can "gel" very quickly?

East Coast Fan
09-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Okay, I got to watch some of the preseason games, and like most saw that the starting defense struggled more times then not. I also read Bates say that "they are confident that they'll be ready for Buffalo and that they saw some improvement in the defensive play as the preseason went on, and they didn't show all that they are going to do in the regular season". All that aside, do you guys think that they can gel quickly and be steady right at game one, or are they going to struggle for awhile and then come together? :confused:

Astrass
09-04-2007, 06:27 PM
I think they have the core togther still with champ and lynch and enough new vets who should adapt very well. Plus with Rice comming in and being buddies with lynch I think that added chemistry will definatly help. Bates is also very experienced. I think we should gel together quite fast.

Lonestar
09-04-2007, 06:31 PM
I think with all of the rotations we work on the DL that it is going to take 6-8 games for them to be comfortable with each other.

Between the new scheme and all the new bodies I just can't see how they are gonna be able to overcome chaos, until they know what the guy next to him is gonna do.

dogfish
09-04-2007, 06:57 PM
right now, i am afraid. . . i think we are going to be relying HEAVILY on travis henry!

TXBRONC
09-04-2007, 07:03 PM
It really depends. The players keep saying that a lot of their troubles had to do with running the base defense and nothing fancy. I hope they will start to gel before the first quarter of the season is over, but it could take longer.

Skinny
09-04-2007, 08:06 PM
For me, it's so hard to say. Yeah the defense did'nt play well in the pre-season but majority of that was alot of "base" defense for the sole purpose of "player evalution".

Some agree on this and some don't.

But as metioned by the players, when the regular season starts, all the adjusting and wrinkles will come out. There may be more problems and maybe some things will come together quicker than most think.

I'll just take the "wait and see" approach.

Rick
09-04-2007, 08:19 PM
The Bill's offense will be good practice...

Shouldn't be burned much at all,will be good time to just learn to get in position.

Yes...I know, don't underestimate...but it is Losmen and a rookie RB...I am just not impressed.

Dean
09-04-2007, 08:32 PM
The very thing that many are banking on is what worries me most. I keep hearing that the blown assignments and poor overall play was from running the base defense.

It looks to me that as you add more wrinkles the complexity and need to have everyone on the same page increases- and it scare me a little. The ray of sunlight is that the same players will be playing side by side (not the musical chairs of preseason) and communication will begin to improve.

It still looks to me like it will take 3 to 4 games to get a read on where this defense is headed. They could come right out of the blocks wearing blue tights with an S on the chest and a cape on the back. I just can't envision any phone booths for them to change into their superman duds this week.:eek:

Skinny
09-04-2007, 09:16 PM
The very thing that many are banking on is what worries me most. I keep hearing that the blown assignments and poor overall play was from running the base defense.

It looks to me that as you add more wrinkles the complexity and need to have everyone on the same page increases- and it scare me a little. The ray of sunlight is that the same players will be playing side by side (not the musical chairs of preseason) and communication will begin to improve.

It still looks to me like it will take 3 to 4 games to get a read on where this defense is headed. They could come right out of the blocks wearing blue tights with an S on the chest and a cape on the back. I just can't envision any phone booths for them to change into their superman duds this week.:eek:Lets' hope it's (phone booth) Ralph Wilson Stadium! :D

NameUsedBefore
09-04-2007, 09:30 PM
I hope they do, but I doubt any speedy gelling will be involved with this year's unit.

That D-line is just too wishy-washy right now. I really do hope they get it together, but it really does look a bit bleak to me.

TXBRONC
09-04-2007, 09:37 PM
I think the best case scenario is they gel in about 3-4 weeks. Worst case scenario 8 or more.:ahhhhh:

DenBronx
09-04-2007, 09:54 PM
I think the best case scenario is they gel in about 3-4 weeks. Worst case scenario 8 or more.:ahhhhh:

best case scenario is 3-4 hours. :D

you had 502 post as of yesterday. the day isnt even over and you have 582 post, i think your going for a record.

Lonestar
09-04-2007, 11:51 PM

It still looks to me like it will take 3 to 4 games to get a read on where this defense is headed. They could come right out of the blocks wearing blue tights with an S on the chest and a cape on the back. I just can't envision any phone booths for them to change into their superman duds this week.:eek:

I totally agree with you on this.

If you can't even run base defense, how do you run complex defenses?

once Again I will harp on the obvious if the DT's do not do there job then the rest of the defense is playing catch up. They are reacting to the blown assignments.

The DE's are being double teamed and the LB's have OG and tackles blocking them.

LoyalSoldier
09-05-2007, 12:32 AM

I want to wait and see how they do when they are allowed to use all the schemes. They ran some very vanilla defenses in the preseason and they may not have been entirely serious about it. If they continue doing it into the regular season then I will be worried.

SBboundBRONCOS
09-05-2007, 12:58 AM
i remember reading something by I think Bates and B. Johnson saying that they didnt do ANYTHING during the preseason,

they watched the film and saw opportunities they could have blitzed and normaly would have but since its preseaosn they wanted to make it harder on our players to keep there assignments and practice technique instead of overpowering the other team . . . if that true i think it was a great idea, because if they learn to get a rush with just the front 4 then once regular season hits, and our DB's play the way they like and the additional help of lynch in the box, is really a scary thougth for opposing offenses

im praying our DT can keep progressig forward and at least be somewhat dependable and immovable object like :rofl:

Lonestar
09-05-2007, 02:30 AM
I want to wait and see how they do when they are allowed to use all the schemes. They ran some very vanilla defenses in the preseason and they may not have been entirely serious about it. If they continue doing it into the regular season then I will be worried.

Preseason is job audition time play poorly here and your but is cut or traded away. If you do not think this is true ask the 20 players that got cut the other day.

Plain vanilla should have been down pat by then.

The fact is they just looked like chickens with there heads cut off.

The more difficult it gets the worse the potential headless chickens can be.

Lonestar
09-05-2007, 02:37 AM
i remember reading something by I think Bates and B. Johnson saying that they didn't do ANYTHING during the preseason,

they watched the film and saw opportunities they could have blitzed and normally would have but since its preseason they wanted to make it harder on our players to keep there assignments and practice technique instead of overpowering the other team . . . if that true i think it was a great idea, because if they learn to get a rush with just the front 4 then once regular season hits, and our DB's play the way they like and the additional help of lynch in the box, is really a scary thought for opposing offenses

I'm praying our DT can keep progressing forward and at least be somewhat dependable and immovable object like :rofl:

Well I did not see that in any of the games I watched. I saw DJ constantly out of position and the other team running on us at will.
Because there was all day in the pocket the QB could make any throws they wished.

Perhaps I watched a different team than you did. My team was in Blue and white uniforms for the most part.

SBboundBRONCOS
09-05-2007, 07:03 AM
Well I did not see that in any of the games I watched. I saw DJ constantly out of position and the other team running on us at will.
Because there was all day in the pocket the QB could make any throws they wished.

Perhaps I watched a different team than you did. My team was in Blue and white uniforms for the most part.

i agree with us getting beat down, but i believe its because each player was more or less on their own, as opposed to seeing blitzs, and different formations, and coverage schemes.

so that way each player would understand what they need to do, if they dont get any help, which they most likey will

its not like the offensive line was forced to cover a blitz or anything that you would expect to see in a reg game. i do think think its good for each players development though and thats what i meant in my post.

i really think that come opening day we will see a different D add the addidition of Rice ad we could very well have a great D this year

but when it comes down 2 it, and sadly it will, we will just have to see how our DT perform, thats the only part of this team that worries me:cool:

Fan in Exile
09-05-2007, 08:08 AM
i agree with us getting beat down, but i believe its because each player was more or less on their own, as opposed to seeing blitzs, and different formations, and coverage schemes.

so that way each player would understand what they need to do, if they dont get any help, which they most likey will

its not like the offensive line was forced to cover a blitz or anything that you would expect to see in a reg game. i do think think its good for each players development though and thats what i meant in my post.

i really think that come opening day we will see a different D add the addidition of Rice ad we could very well have a great D this year

but when it comes down 2 it, and sadly it will, we will just have to see how our DT perform, thats the only part of this team that worries me:cool:

I think this is a really good point. It isn't just that the blitzes make it harder for our defense they also make it harder for the offense. When you are playing against a vanilla defense you can get away with things that would get you destroyed when the defense is scheming for you.

I'm still wondering about the DTs and DJ but Bates has accomplished enough with NFL defenses that I just want to see what he can do.

broncos9697
09-05-2007, 09:11 AM
Okay, I got to watch some of the preseason games, and like most saw that the starting defense struggled more times then not. I also read Bates say that "they are confident that they'll be ready for Buffalo and that they saw some improvement in the defensive play as the preseason went on, and they didn't show all that they are going to do in the regular season". All that aside, do you guys think that they can gel quickly and be steady right at game one, or are they going to struggle for awhile and then come together? :confused:

I think its going to a few games to gel with each other but hopefully those few games it takes, the off. can put up enough points to win those games..
but once there all on the same page watch out because there going to be one heck of a team.

Retired_Member_001
09-05-2007, 09:43 AM
Preseason is job audition time play poorly here and your but is cut or traded away. If you do not think this is true ask the 20 players that got cut the other day.

Yes but guys like D.J, Ian Gold, Champ Bailey, Dre' Bly and John Lynch KNOW that there is no other player on the roster that is good enough to throw them off the Depth Chart and Shanahan knows this. I don't think Shanahan wants his best defensive players to go out there in the pre-season and take it very seriously and I think he would tell them that. Shanahan also doesn't like throwing in any serious plays into the pre-season playbooks, all of our creative and big plays will be used in the regular season. I'm sure Bates has a couple of crazy plays up his sleeve aswell.

I saw some bad tackling and that is an issue because I don't think even in the pre-season you can not take a tackle seriously, you may not go in for the big hit but we were missing textbook wrap up tackles.

I think the defense will "gel" fairly quickly, I just hope that the gel doesn't break when we go through a rough patch in the season.

Lonestar
09-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Yes but guys like D.J, Ian Gold, Champ Bailey, Dre' Bly and John Lynch KNOW that there is no other player on the roster that is good enough to throw them off the Depth Chart and Shanahan knows this. I don't think Shanahan wants his best defensive players to go out there in the pre-season and take it very seriously and I think he would tell them that. Shanahan also doesn't like throwing in any serious plays into the pre-season playbooks, all of our creative and big plays will be used in the regular season. I'm sure Bates has a couple of crazy plays up his sleeve aswell.

I saw some bad tackling and that is an issue because I don't think even in the pre-season you can not take a tackle seriously, you may not go in for the big hit but we were missing textbook wrap up tackles.

I think the defense will "gel" fairly quickly, I just hope that the gel doesn't break when we go through a rough patch in the season.

While you have a good point here let me restate part of my thoughts.

Yes the main players pretty much know they are locks. They will only be as good as the guys in front of them. We have seen this since the playoff game in 2003 where manning torched us all night. How did he do this because there was NO pressure and even though our CB's pretty much sucked at the time. It was the total lack of DL pressure.

Now we have addressed the CB area for sure, LB's seem to be the best over the past few years. However, now we have a different combo with for all intents and purposes a rookie calling the defensive changes. Someone that while is a great LB and a better athlete, was completely out of position on almost all of the long runs made this summer by OK RB's, not great RB's but OK ones. Even if they were great ones, we were not touching/hitting them till they were at least 5 yards down field. Why is that you ask?

It all comes down to DL. Our DL is getting beat like rented mules. Will blitzing fix that?

What is Bates system? Big guys in the middle that force the OLINE to double/triple team them. Right now we have ONE that can do this Adams who frankly will have a tough time being on the field more than 15 plays a game. He is not playing at sea level 15 games a year but now he is here at mile high for 8 games which will take alot out of him to start with.

We thought that warren would be next to him, but now we do not have two Big guys. We have a limited Adams and a couple of wannabes that frankly I think are about 25 pounds light for doing the job that Bates likes.

IF the DT can't do the job the DE's start getting doubled and some of the OLINE/TE/FB now can come off to block the LB and safeties ON OUR SIDE of the LOS.

We still have a problem area DT, something that everyone thought was solved, when we picked up Adams and Kennedy the guy from STL and Thomas in the Draft, during the off season. But now we find that Warren is gone and Kennedy really does not want to play Bates style after all he just wanted out of STL.And while Thomas may be a great future player he is not ready for everyday play.

Like it has been for years, it all boils down to winning the LOS, until we can do that we are gonna have to control the TOP with running the ball and scoring alot of points to have a winning season.

Does that all make sense? Simple blitzing does not control the LOS by the big guys. If anything it leaves the secondary even more vulnerable. As evidenced in PLAYOFF games against Manning and Big Ben.

Retired_Member_001
09-05-2007, 11:38 AM
While you have a good point here let me restate part of my thoughts.

Yes the main players pretty much know they are locks. They will only be as good as the guys in front of them. We have seen this since the playoff game in 2003 where manning torched us all night. How did he do this because there was NO pressure and even though our CB's pretty much sucked at the time. It was the total lack of DL pressure.

Now we have addressed the CB area for sure, LB's seem to be the best over the past few years. However, now we have a different combo with for all intents and purposes a rookie calling the defensive changes. Someone that while is a great LB and a better athlete, was completely out of position on almost all of the long runs made this summer by OK RB's, not great RB's but OK ones. Even if they were great ones, we were not touching/hitting them till they were at least 5 yards down field. Why is that you ask?

It all comes down to DL. Our DL is getting beat like rented mules. Will blitzing fix that?

What is Bates system? Big guys in the middle that force the OLINE to double/triple team them. Right now we have ONE that can do this Adams who frankly will have a tough time being on the field more than 15 plays a game. He is not playing at sea level 15 games a year but now he is here at mile high for 8 games which will take alot out of him to start with.

We thought that warren would be next to him, but now we do not have two Big guys. We have a limited Adams and a couple of wannabes that frankly I think are about 25 pounds light for doing the job that Bates likes.

IF the DT can't do the job the DE's start getting doubled and some of the OLINE/TE/FB now can come off to block the LB and safeties ON OUR SIDE of the LOS.

We still have a problem area DT, something that everyone thought was solved, when we picked up Adams and Kennedy the guy from STL and Thomas in the Draft, during the off season. But now we find that Warren is gone and Kennedy really does not want to play Bates style after all he just wanted out of STL.And while Thomas may be a great future player he is not ready for everyday play.

Like it has been for years, it all boils down to winning the LOS, until we can do that we are gonna have to control the TOP with running the ball and scoring alot of points to have a winning season.

Does that all make sense? Simple blitzing does not control the LOS by the big guys. If anything it leaves the secondary even more vulnerable. As evidenced in PLAYOFF games against Manning and Big Ben.

First of all let me say this is a very good post Jrwiz.

I agree, it does come down to the DT position but I do think Sam Adams can pull off one more good season. I don't think he is going to get a Pro Bowl appearance or anything but I think he can do his job for another year, signing for the Broncos has been a breath of fresh air for Sam Adams and it has motivated him again. I definitley agree we need another big guy who will do their job and if Sam Adams goes down then that's the end of our defense but I think Sam Adams can do a job if he stays healthy. I would like to see what Amon Gordon could do if he was bigger, I was never to keen on him but Shanahan and Bates seem to think he is good and he is one of our only other options to be honest.

I am pretty happy with our DE's and I think if the DT's do their job the DE's will do theirs and to a high level, for once.

Blitzing will help but that is only if there ends up being too many players blitzing for the offense to cope with ( and that means our secondry will be in a terrible state), it will also work if someone can break free from their blocker. Blitzing wont solve everything but if used at the right moment it will work. I understand what you are saying about winning the LOS but I wouldn't agree that blitzing doesn't help at all.

Anyway I AM worried about DT and that's why I wanted us to draft Okoye who used to play at 320+lbs and had openly said he could get back up to that playing weight if need be. I still think Sam Adams can do a job and we will have to see and hope that Amon Gordon can do something. Maybe Marcus Thomas become a good DT in the future but at I don't think he can be a good DT right now.

P.S When I say "Do a job" I mean "Do a good job". ;)

Lonestar
09-05-2007, 11:54 AM
First of all let me say this is a very good post Jrwiz.

I agree, it does come down to the DT position but I do think Sam Adams can pull off one more good season. I don't think he is going to get a Pro Bowl appearance or anything but I think he can do his job for another year, signing for the Broncos has been a breath of fresh air for Sam Adams and it has motivated him again. I definitley agree we need another big guy who will do their job and if Sam Adams goes down then that's the end of our defense but I think Sam Adams can do a job if he stays healthy. I would like to see what Amon Gordon could do if he was bigger, I was never to keen on him but Shanahan and Bates seem to think he is good and he is one of our only other options to be honest.

I am pretty happy with our DE's and I think if the DT's do their job the DE's will do theirs and to a high level, for once.

Blitzing will help but that is only if there ends up being too many players blitzing for the offense to cope with ( and that means our secondry will be in a terrible state), it will also work if someone can break free from their blocker. Blitzing wont solve everything but if used at the right moment it will work. I understand what you are saying about winning the LOS but I wouldn't agree that blitzing doesn't help at all.

Anyway I AM worried about DT and that's why I wanted us to draft Okoye who used to play at 320+lbs and had openly said he could get back up to that playing weight if need be. I still think Sam Adams can do a job and we will have to see and hope that Amon Gordon can do something. Maybe Marcus Thomas become a good DT in the future but at I don't think he can be a good DT right now.

P.S When I say "Do a job" I mean "Do a good job". ;)

Good response, let me add this might be all for naught. After all the shuffling this summer they just might all fit together like peas in a pod.

I worry about the blitzing as I remember well what Ben did when the picked up the blitz with their max protect package.

I think he set a playoff record for the number of third and longs he completed. Frankly he is not all the great a QB IMHO.

For this D to do well it will be won or lost in the trenches just like always. Who will step up and make it happen? I do not know.

Maybe Bates is the genius that can make miracles happen I hope so. I now he is a superb DC, but I don't remember how long it took him to make the MIA defense into a world beater. I do not know what he started out with his first year. Hopefully less than what he has to work with here.

Retired_Member_001
09-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Good response

Thanks.

let me add this might be all for naught. After all the shuffling this summer they just might all fit together like peas in a pod.

I worry about the blitzing as I remember well what Ben did when the picked up the blitz with their max protect package.

I think he set a playoff record for the number of third and longs he completed. Frankly he is not all the great a QB IMHO.

For this D to do well it will be won or lost in the trenches just like always. Who will step up and make it happen? I do not know.

Maybe Bates is the genius that can make miracles happen I hope so. I now he is a superb DC, but I don't remember how long it took him to make the MIA defense into a world beater. I do not know what he started out with his first year. Hopefully less than what he has to work with here.

Good point about Big Ben picking up our blitzes and that's why I think we should blitz heavily when we do but only blitz at the right time. Make it unpredictable.

I agree, the defense could be terrible but it could be very good and strong. Let's hope for the best. :beer:

By the way, the Dolphins allowed 226 points in the 2000 season (Bates first year with them) and that was #3 best in the league. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/mia2000.htm

They also posted a league best 28 interceptions ( I found that on his profile at Denver Broncos.com)

Lonestar
09-05-2007, 12:17 PM
Thanks.

Good point about Big Ben picking up our blitzes and that's why I think we should blitz heavily when we do but only blitz at the right time. Make it unpredictable.

I agree, the defense could be terrible but it could be very good and strong. Let's hope for the best. :beer:

By the way, the Dolphins allowed 226 points in the 2000 season (Bates first year with them) and that was #3 best in the league. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/mia2000.htm

They also posted a league best 28 interceptions ( I found that on his profile at Denver Broncos.com)

Thanks for looking that up but how many players did he inherit and how many did he bring in did he have Mr fat guy on the team already and who did they play that year? Lots of variables.

Did he just adapt his playbook to the players already there?

Did he have LT and LJ in his division. Get my drift?

Retired_Member_001
09-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Thanks for looking that up but how many players did he inherit and how many did he bring in did he have Mr fat guy on the team already and who did they play that year? Lots of variables.

Did he just adapt his playbook to the players already there?

Did he have LT and LJ in his division. Get my drift?

Good points.

His sucess is proven and I am sure he wouldn't allow us to go into the season in a bad shape. I'm not saying we are going to be #3 in points allowed and I'm not saying we are going to lead the league in interceptions but I trust Bates. As I said I think Adams can pull off one more good season and we just have to hope one of the other DT's step up.

Mr fat guy

:laugh:

He isn't fat he's just has big bones ;). Let's hope he uses that "fat" to his advantage.

jhns
09-05-2007, 12:34 PM
I have a ton of confidense in this group. At least on paper we look to have a ton of talent on defense. With Bates as the head guy, the defense should be something that is only helping us, not hurting.

Now that is not to say that we won't have struggles on defense for the first few weeks still. They didn't really use much more than the base defense in preseason and everyone still has to gell and learn how to implement everything Bates has been teaching them. This will take some time. I am really going to try to hold off judgment on how good this defense is until about mid season. The only thing that matters though is a SB. If we can make it to the playoffs, it is only going to matter that our defense is playing to thier potential in the playoffs. I think our offense and just the playmakers we do have on defense will allow us into the playoffs this year. Well that and the easier schedule. I don't remember having this easy of a schedule in a long time.

Lonestar
09-05-2007, 12:42 PM
I have a ton of confidense in this group. At least on paper we look to have a ton of talent on defense. With Bates as the head guy, the defense should be something that is only helping us, not hurting.

Now that is not to say that we won't have struggles on defense for the first few weeks still. They didn't really use much more than the base defense in preseason and everyone still has to gell and learn how to implement everything Bates has been teaching them. This will take some time. I am really going to try to hold off judgment on how good this defense is until about mid season. The only thing that matters though is a SB. If we can make it to the playoffs, it is only going to matter that our defense is playing to thier potential in the playoffs. I think our offense and just the playmakers we do have on defense will allow us into the playoffs this year. Well that and the easier schedule. I don't remember having this easy of a schedule in a long time.

I to agree it is going to take some time to gel and frankly by the time they do we may not make to the playoffs.

I have written this season off more or less to a learning and getting the rookies up to speed. For the next three seasons making it a threepete in the Superbowl.

SBboundBRONCOS
09-05-2007, 03:30 PM
i would go 0-16 if it meant that

LoyalSoldier
09-05-2007, 06:31 PM

It is the audition for those who's jobs are not secure. I would say that 75% of the defense doesn't have to worry about their job security.

TXBRONC
09-05-2007, 06:38 PM
It is the audition for those who's jobs are not secure. I would say that 75% of the defense doesn't have to worry about their job security.

The guys on the defensive line are probably ones with most stress about job security.

Lonestar
09-05-2007, 07:54 PM

I think that perhaps 25% is more like it.
DJ although on the forum there seems to be some debate about that.
Gold is a lock
Champ
Bly
Lynch
Maybe Ferguson is OK

But after those 6 it is all up for grabs with the DL Being the most unsettled Adams has a starting job after that NO ONE is for sure. So 7 jobs for sure the rest in the air out of how many on defense to start TC. They had I think 16 DL guys alone that came to camp.

I know that IF I were in camp I'd have been awake in all of the skull sessions and giving a 100% on every play in camp practice as well as in the game probably more. But then that is old school job hunting.

LoyalSoldier
09-05-2007, 08:34 PM
I think that perhaps 25% is more like it.
DJ although on the forum there seems to be some debate about that.
Gold is a lock
Champ
Bly
Lynch
Maybe Ferguson is OK

But after those 6 it is all up for grabs with the DL Being the most unsettled Adams has a starting job after that NO ONE is for sure. So 7 jobs for sure the rest in the air out of how many on defense to start TC. They had I think 16 DL guys alone that came to camp.

I know that IF I were in camp I'd have been awake in all of the skull sessions and giving a 100% on every play in camp practice as well as in the game probably more. But then that is old school job hunting.

6/11 is 54%

Lonestar
09-05-2007, 08:40 PM
6/11 is 54%

I'm a little fuzzy on the new math out there. Where do you get 11?

Of all of the defensive folks that came to camp and played in the preseason there are more than 11 on the Defense side of the equation.

broncosinindy
09-05-2007, 08:52 PM
The Bill's offense will be good practice...

Shouldn't be burned much at all,will be good time to just learn to get in position.

Yes...I know, don't underestimate...but it is Losmen and a rookie RB...I am just not impressed.

Actually i am hearing that the bills offense is not that shabby nothing spectacular but nothing horrible. especially if Lynch can come on.

Lonestar
09-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Actually i am hearing that the bills offense is not that shabby nothing spectacular but nothing horrible. especially if Lynch can come on.

Loseman had the most TD passes in the final 6or8 games of the season outside of manning and I think I heard rivers.

LoyalSoldier
09-05-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm a little fuzzy on the new math out there. Where do you get 11?

Of all of the defensive folks that came to camp and played in the preseason there are more than 11 on the Defense side of the equation.

4 DBs
3 LBs
4 DL
______

11 Starting jobs

Everyone else other than the nickle corner is going to sub.

Lonestar
09-05-2007, 09:41 PM
4 DBs
3 LBs
4 DL
______

11 Starting jobs

Everyone else other than the nickle corner is going to sub.

Where you are talking about starters the rest of us are talking about all comers this summer.

In this case your math is correct.

But if you include all defensive personnel that were fighting for a roster spot I think the 25% is a lot closer. If not to HIGH!!

lex
09-05-2007, 11:07 PM
I hope Im wrong but I dont think Amon Gordon can cut it as a starter at DT. I think Marcus Thomas needs to turn the corner fast. I am indeed very worried about the DT position.

Watchthemiddle
09-05-2007, 11:10 PM
The Defense needs to gel fast and here is why.

So far, from what I have seen is that its hard for our offense to stay on the field. To many 3 and outs this preseason putting our D back on the field.

We saw them struggle late last year because of the same reason.

Remember everyone blaming the offense last year for the defenses demise?

Well, we could be looking at the same thing this year.

LoyalSoldier
09-05-2007, 11:24 PM
Where you are talking about starters the rest of us are talking about all comers this summer.

In this case your math is correct.

But if you include all defensive personnel that were fighting for a roster spot I think the 25% is a lot closer. If not to HIGH!!

Yes the 2nd and 3rd stringers are always going to be playing their hearts out.

rcsodak
09-06-2007, 12:15 AM

Down the road, they may not be too bad. Right now? They're not well at all. Lynch hasn't looked good in preseason, and the Oline is full of new people that are struggling. Which is all good for denver.

Lohsman came on strong late last year, and threw more TD's than P manning. That's troubling. The db's need to be on their toes.

But as long as the DE's can put pressure on the kid, I think they can rattle him enough to throw a couple int's, and have <50% completion.

It'll come down to how well the Offense plays, I think. Travis will be playing against the team that drafted him, and hung him out to dry. That is what you call M-O-T-I-V-A-T-I-O-N!
But in the same token, the bills have been playing against Bates' defense 2x a year, so they won't be surprised by his schemes.

It's all up to the Dline, as you all have said. If they can hold up the Olinemen, and stop the run, and allow the DE's to run rampant, I can see a plethora of sacks......

....and a Bronco win to start the season. That'll be something NEW!:beer:

rcsodak
09-06-2007, 12:20 AM
The Defense needs to gel fast and here is why.

So far, from what I have seen is that its hard for our offense to stay on the field. To many 3 and outs this preseason putting our D back on the field.

We saw them struggle late last year because of the same reason.

Remember everyone blaming the offense last year for the defenses demise?

Well, we could be looking at the same thing this year.

True, wtm....

...but to be fair, who was playing?

Stokely was out.
Bmarsh was out.
Thenry was out.
Hamilton IS out.
Scheff was out.

Methinks having everybody back and healthy will be just the prescription that the offense needs to get back on track.
:salute: