PDA

View Full Version : Ravens fire Billick!

BOSSHOGG30
12-31-2007, 01:52 PM
The Ravens have fired Brian Billick, according to FoxSports.com's Jay Glazer.

Give credit to owner Steve Biscotti. He didn't let finances get in the way of an ugly situation after handing Billick an overly long extension last offenseason (through 2010). The offense never improved under Billick's watch, and the inmates were starting to run the asylum this year. The players got what they wanted, but they may not like it when a taskmaster arrives. The news ultimately gives Baltimore's fantasy threats more hope. Billick finishes 79-64 in Baltimore, with four playoff appearances and one Super Bowl in nine years. Dec. 31 - 1:41 pm et
Source: FoxSports.com

slim
12-31-2007, 01:54 PM
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa127/jefslo_24/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

Skinny
12-31-2007, 01:55 PM
Billick looked like a stone statue on the sidelines all season long. No emotion what so ever. Definitely a good move by the Ravens ...

claymore
12-31-2007, 01:55 PM
Wow........... Is there Defensive Coordinator leaving??????

BOSSHOGG30
12-31-2007, 01:57 PM
I hope he comes to Denver

slim
12-31-2007, 01:58 PM

Billik? WTH would you want that?

BOSSHOGG30
12-31-2007, 02:00 PM
Billik? WTH would you want that?

I think he is a very good coach. He would give us what we miss with Kubiak gone. JMO... I respect the guy.

slim
12-31-2007, 02:01 PM
I think he is a very good coach. He would give us what we miss with Kubiak gone. JMO... I respect the guy.

I can't stand that smug POS. Of course, if he could get us a couple more wins I would be all for it :D

BOSSHOGG30
12-31-2007, 02:03 PM
He has a great track record of improving offenses. I never liked him as a head coach, but similar to Norv Turner you can't doubt his assistant coaching production. He will make someone a very nice offensive coordinator.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-31-2007, 02:12 PM

He would be good in an assistant position.

SR
12-31-2007, 02:28 PM
He has a great track record of improving offenses. I never liked him as a head coach, but similar to Norv Turner you can't doubt his assistant coaching production. He will make someone a very nice offensive coordinator.

I would love to can Dinger and pick up Billick. He and Martz are going to be the two hot commodities this off season.

BigDaddyBronco
12-31-2007, 02:30 PM
Let's get rid of Bates and get the D-Coord from the Ravens. What's his name, Rex Ryan.

BOSSHOGG30
12-31-2007, 02:37 PM
Let's get rid of Bates and get the D-Coord from the Ravens. What's his name, Rex Ryan.

He runs a 3-4

BigDaddyBronco
12-31-2007, 02:41 PM
Yea thats right. I guess when they were running a 4-3 Marvin Lewis was their D-Coord.

BOSSHOGG30
12-31-2007, 02:50 PM
Yea thats right. I guess when they were running a 4-3 Marvin Lewis was their D-Coord.

Rob Ryan is probably the odd man out of Oakland though and he runs a 4-3.

BOSSHOGG30
12-31-2007, 03:04 PM
Coaches I would like to see Denver & Shanny make a move for:

Clancy Pendergast
Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator
Pendergast does not receive as much attention because the Cardinals have not had a ton of success, but he's done a great job with the defense. He has a "gym rat" mentality when it comes to coaching and no assistant coach watches as much film or does as many weekly and offseason breakdowns as Pendergast. He has a great defensive mind and is a master at adjusting his schemes on a weekly basis.

Mike Singletary
San Francisco 49ers assistant head coach/defense
He has never been a coordinator or a head coach, but his name is going to come up because as an ex-player who gets a ton of respect from the players that play for him. That's huge because gaining the respect of the players is half the battle in becoming a good NFL head coach and Singletary will have that from Day 1. He is not as polished right now as you may want, but he is still learning and a great fit for an organization that will allow its coach to grow on the go.

Rob Ryan
Oakland defensive coordinator
Some say the Raiders defense has underachieved at times this season, but how consistent can you be on defense when you get inconsistent performances on offense every single week? Last season, there was a lot of animosity between the offense, defense and some of the coaching staff, but it was Ryan who worked behind the scenes to keep the team together. Some were lobbying for him to get the job this year and he has the coaching pedigree to be successful. The coaches that work for him and the players that play for him swear by him. He deserves an opportunity to take the next step.

Josh McDaniels
New England Patriots offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach
McDaniels is not talked about very often, but should not be ignored. Belichick gets all the credit for what has become "Patriots football" but look at the success Romeo Crennel is now having and the success Eric Mangini had in 2006. Those guys are solid head coaches because they learned from the best, so there is no reason to think McDaniels will not be successful as well.

tubby
12-31-2007, 03:11 PM
Ha, good. I hate Billick.

Retired_Member_001
12-31-2007, 03:14 PM
Coaches I would like to see Denver & Shanny make a move for:

Mike Singletary
San Francisco 49ers assistant head coach/defense
He has never been a coordinator or a head coach, but his name is going to come up because as an ex-player who gets a ton of respect from the players that play for him. That's huge because gaining the respect of the players is half the battle in becoming a good NFL head coach and Singletary will have that from Day 1. He is not as polished right now as you may want, but he is still learning and a great fit for an organization that will allow its coach to grow on the go.

Josh McDaniels
New England Patriots offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach
McDaniels is not talked about very often, but should not be ignored. Belichick gets all the credit for what has become "Patriots football" but look at the success Romeo Crennel is now having and the success Eric Mangini had in 2006. Those guys are solid head coaches because they learned from the best, so there is no reason to think McDaniels will not be successful as well.

Those two are very good points, especially Josh McDaniels. However I doubt McDaniels will want to leave his undefeated Patriots.

Tned
12-31-2007, 03:26 PM
I would love to can Dinger and pick up Billick. He and Martz are going to be the two hot commodities this off season.

I'm sure wherever Martz goes, the QBs will be taking out extra health insurance and bodily injury insurance.

The guy can get an offense going, but he sacrifices his QB's with the types of plays (long developing, deep) he calls. Then again, he showed in St. Louis that to some degree the QB was a plug-in position in his offense, and they could change with little impact on the results.

Medford Bronco
12-31-2007, 04:24 PM
its about time. his team looked like crap all year

Cleveland Rocks
12-31-2007, 05:46 PM
That's too bad.

I hate him - but I love him because he sucks.

I wanted the Ravens to keep him. Hopefully they get a college coach.

BigBroncLove
12-31-2007, 06:07 PM
Rex Ryan wont be going anywhere. The defense has been a strength of that team for a long time, and thats all on the shoulders of the personel and scheme decisions of Rex Ryan. If there weren't such huge concerns over getting the offense in line, I would consider Rex a runner for the head coaching job itself, but with all the offesnive woes in Baltimroe it is more likely they will try and find a head coach that can revitalize their offense.

Broncolingus
12-31-2007, 06:15 PM
I am less concerned at this point about coaches and more concerned about defensive and offensive line players...

I also can't see Shanahan and Billick 'gelling' either...

kcvet
01-01-2008, 01:02 PM
I was wondering how soon the ax would fall. wonder who's next????

MileHighWrath
01-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Rex Ryan wont be going anywhere. The defense has been a strength of that team for a long time, and thats all on the shoulders of the personel and scheme decisions of Rex Ryan. If there weren't such huge concerns over getting the offense in line, I would consider Rex a runner for the head coaching job itself, but with all the offesnive woes in Baltimroe it is more likely they will try and find a head coach that can revitalize their offense.

The entire coaching staff was fired.... they will all be going somewhere else.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3175037

Scarface
01-01-2008, 06:51 PM

Not in B-More. Their offenses always stunk. His quarterbacks played like garbage. And he had a long time to get it figured out.

Broncospsycho77
01-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Does anyone know if Rex Ryan is a good coordinator or just a product of talented players? Also, from watching the Rose Bowl, what about the defensive coordinator or LB coach from USC? Those linebackers are by far the best unit in the nation. Would it translate well into the NFL?

Bronco9798
01-01-2008, 07:02 PM
The Contra Costa Times reports San Francisco 49ers assistant coach Mike Singletary has surfaced as a possible replacement for fired Baltimore Ravens HC Brian Billick. Singletary, 49, was the Ravens inside linebackers coach for two seasons before joining HC Mike Nolan's staff as the assistant head coach/defense. Singletary's name is a hot one in the rumor mill across the country -- he has also been linked to the Atlanta Falcons job -- but the 49ers say no team has officially requested permission for a formal interview.

dogfish
01-01-2008, 08:48 PM
dang, that was long overdue. . . the supposed offensive genius has been there how long, and they've been one of the most consistently putrid offenses in the league for the entire time-- and they still haven't settled the quarterback position. . . firing ryan was a dumb move though, IMO. . .

we'll see who they get, but right now i wouldn't think that's exactly the most appealing job around. . . no quality QB, a weak WR corps (clayton and williams do have some potential), and the offensive line is in flux. . . they do have some good young talent on D with guys like reed, suggs (if they can re-sign him) and ngata, but they're also getting old at some key positions (ray lewis, samari rolle), and their CB depth is freaking terrible. . . more importantly, whoever takes over that team is going to have to deal with ray lewis and ed reed thinking that they're the coach. . .

if they bring in a strong personality who can keep all those egos in check and get some quick production out of the offense, they have a chance to be contenders, but if they don't succeed quickly they might be looking at a long, ugly rebuilding process. . .