PDA

View Full Version : Broncos have to get rough with Ravens, McDaniels says

Denver Native (Carol)
10-26-2009, 06:55 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_13644864

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels managed to pry himself away from football over the Broncos' off-weekend long enough to join his wife and two young kids on an excursion to the Denver zoo.

But back at Dove Valley on Monday morning, all of McDaniels' focus was on the Baltimore Ravens, the Broncos' opponent Sunday in Baltimore.

McDaniels said the Ravens (3-3) are among the NFL's most physical teams, especially on defense with linebackers Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs and safety Ed Reed.

"I know that's the way they play, that's their style on all three phases," McDaniels said. "If you're not ready for that style of play, you can get embarrassed by a team like this on the road. They're coming off a bye so I'm sure they'll be ested and ready to go, so we know it's going to be that type of game.

McDaniels and his staff spent plenty of time last week working on their game plan for Baltimore, and started presenting it to players Monday morning after players returned from nearly five full days off.

Players had meetings in the morning and were scheduled for a two-hour practice in the afternoon.

The only two players missing from the start of practice were safety Brian Dawkins and defensive end Le Kevin Smith. Dawkins missed part of the first half of last Monday's game with a hamstring injury but played the entire second half. Smith missed part of the preseason and the first two games of the regular season with a knee injury.

Linebacker Spencer Larsen made his return to practice for the first time since injuring his shoulder shortly before kickoff of the season opener in Cincinnati.

"He's a valuable player," McDaniels said. "He contributes on every phase, and that's unique."

Day1BroncoFan
10-26-2009, 06:58 PM
I wonder if this means Dawkins won't play. That would suck.

broncofaninfla
10-26-2009, 07:08 PM
It's early, hopefully Dawkins can go this week, glad Larsen is back, special teams should get better as a result, might even be featured in the power running game on offense.

SmilinAssasSin27
10-27-2009, 07:56 AM
Ya hafta rest the hammy. I'm betting Dawkins plays....but no practice this week.

underrated29
10-27-2009, 11:03 AM
dawk will play.

Larsen is huge for us. ST, LB and now that means we might use hillis a little more on power run plays. If peyton goes down we still have larsen to play FB.

Traveler
10-28-2009, 11:54 AM
As most here know, under Shanahan, Denver has always had problems with physical teams. Baltimore in particular. It was almost like they were scared to play them even before the game started.

It'll be interesting for me to see if that still holds true now that McDaniels is instilling a more physically demanding style of play from our team.

topscribe
10-28-2009, 12:02 PM
As most here know, under Shanahan, Denver has always had problems with physical teams. Baltimore in particular. It was almost like they were scared to play them even before the game started.

It'll be interesting for me to see if that still holds true now that McDaniels is instilling a more physically demanding style of play from our team.

I seriously doubt that. Since then, the Broncos have acquired Clady, Bucky,
Knowshon, Gaffney, Fields, Holliday, Davis, Haggan, and, of course, B-Dawk, and
Kuper, Harris, D.J., BMarsh and Doom have grown considerably. And Peterson
and McBean don't back down from anybody.

And McDaniels and Nolan weren't here, either.

The Ravens are going to discover that this is a different team taking the field . . .

-----

broncofaninfla
10-28-2009, 12:32 PM
This is the first time we have faced the Ravens that I felt good about our chances. Not because I don't respect them, I do. Because I think we are finally built to take them on thier own game. This is going to be some smash mouth football. I hope we win and neither team suffers any injuries. If we continue to be succesful this season there is a strong chance we'll see them again in the post season.....

TXBRONC
10-28-2009, 01:16 PM
I wonder if this means Dawkins won't play. That would suck.

I think week Denver played the Patriots Dawkins missed a day or two practice but he still played.

topscribe
10-28-2009, 01:29 PM
I think week Denver played the Patriots Dawkins missed a day or two practice but he still played.

In his presser today, Dawkins said he feels "great." He looked fine.

-----

broncofaninfla
10-28-2009, 01:39 PM
In his presser today, Dawkins said he feels "great." He looked fine.

-----

Best news I heard all day long!!! :beer:

Lonestar
10-28-2009, 01:42 PM
BAL has always given DEN fits.. especially when they were playing 3-4 they pretty much owned us in the running game..

now that we practice against it mostly and have some beef and smart tough guys up front I feel alot better about playing them..

Italianmobstr7
10-28-2009, 06:36 PM
We've won 2 of the last 3 against them. You guys are acting like we've never beat them... I'm sure well be physically prepared for this one as we have been for all of our games. Hope we win this one. It will be tough to do in Baltimore.

gobroncsnv
10-28-2009, 06:46 PM
I think it's pretty much the same with the Steelers. With Shanny, we beat them more than they beat us.

But this ain't at all the Broncos of the past 5 years. We're pretty much a new franchise. Totally different look on O and D. I've pretty much tossed all of how we've done against certain teams. Just not much to compare anymore.