PDA

View Full Version : Ware's new contract likely means Dumervil's price just went up

Tned
10-26-2009, 03:38 PM
Dallas Cowboys, DeMarcus Ware agree on contract extension
02:24 PM CDT on Monday, October 26, 2009
By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News
tarcher@dallasnews.com

IRVING – It might have taken some time, but DeMarcus Wareand the Dallas Cowboys have come to terms on a contract extension.

Ware will be signed through 2015, and the contract calls for $40 million guaranteed. The Cowboys have a press conference scheduled for 4:30 today at Valley Ranch.

At 27, Ware is entering the prime of his career and has recorded four sacks in his last two games. A first-round pick in 2005, he has 57.5 sacks in his career and has been named to the Pro Bowl in each of the last three seasons.

Ware led the NFL with 20 sacks in 2008, becoming just the sixth player since sacks became an official stat in 1982 to reach that mark in a season. He also shares the NFL record with Simon Fletcher for consecutive games with a sack with 10 and he holds three of the top-five sack seasons in franchise history.

Without an extension of the collective bargaining agreement, Ware was scheduled to be a restricted free agent after this season.

In the off-season, Washington signed defensive tackle Albert Haynesworthto a seven-year, $100 million deal with $40 million guaranteed. Baltimore outside linebacker Terrell Suggs signed a six-year, $62.5 million deal with $38.1 million guaranteed and Pittsburgh inked James Harrison, who beat out Ware for the NFL Defensive Player of the Year award last season, to a six-year, $51 million deal with $20 million guaranteed.

Ware’s contract falls in line with what owner and general manager Jerry Jones has done in the past, taking care of younger players before they can hit free agency. He has done it with Tony Romo, Bradie James, Jason Witten, Jay Ratliff, Terence Newman and Andre Gurode.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/102709dnspowarelede.2555e67c7.html

Slick
10-26-2009, 03:41 PM
Elvis might think he's deserving of that kind of money, but he's not on Ware's level IMO. Not yet.

Also, since they've mentioned Haynesworth, Suggs, and Harrison...none of those guys are playing at the level they were before they got paid.

TXBRONC
10-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Elvis might think he's deserving of that kind of money, but he's not on Ware's level IMO. Not yet.

Also, since they've mentioned Haynesworth, Suggs, and Harrison...none of those guys are playing at the level they were before they got paid.

Maybe not but he's probably worth more than what he's currently being paid.

Dortoh
10-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Ware deserved every penny of that money. I mean just look at his current sack numbers........err wait wtf

Slick
10-26-2009, 03:48 PM

I think he's an outstanding player, and I want us to resign him. I just hope he's humble. If he ends up with over 20 sacks this year, he might not be. i have faith that if coach thinks he's worth it, he'll show him some money.

Tned
10-26-2009, 03:49 PM
Many would have argued that Romo and Cassel weren't worth what they got paid, but once the bar is set for a cetain position, the contracts seem to fall within a range around that bar.

If he goes sackless or only gets a few in the last 10 games, then he probably gets nothing close. If he becomes one of those rare guys to hit the 20 sack mark, someone is going to be paying him a lot of dough.

Slick
10-26-2009, 03:49 PM
Ware deserved every penny of that money. I mean just look at his current sack numbers........err wait wtf

Ezra Johnson had over 20 sacks once.

T.K.O.
10-26-2009, 03:53 PM
his price is going up this year either way....i just hope bowlen writes the check....doom knows its partly his talent and partly the team and scheme he's now enjoying so they should find middle ground.
unless bus cook is his agent....then were screwed:laugh:

Poet
10-26-2009, 03:56 PM

Haynesworth is still a monster. The Redskin defense is a pretty good unit. Harrison is turning it on and he has 7 sacks this year after going 3 or 4 games without one. Suggs was always overrated and actually regressed during his time in the NFL (if you pull up your numbers you'll see that he benefitted from the "OMG HE'S A RAVENS' DEFENSIVE PLAYER SO HE'S GOD" syndrome). http://www.nfl.com/players/terrellsuggs/profile?id=SUG467201

I think you're going to end up paying the man. I've never been big on the "they get paid and quit" theory. Shaun Rogers, a notoriously lazy bum got paid by Cleveland and he's playing well on a team that had no reason to show up after week 3.

TXBRONC
10-26-2009, 03:56 PM
I think he's an outstanding player, and I want us to resign him. I just hope he's humble. If he ends up with over 20 sacks this year, he might not be. i have faith that if coach thinks he's worth it, he'll show him some money.

It might good idea to start working a new contract now.

Tned
10-26-2009, 03:57 PM
his price is going up this year either way....i just hope bowlen writes the check....doom knows its partly his talent and partly the team and scheme he's now enjoying so they should find middle ground.
unless bus cook is his agent....then were screwed:laugh:

People sometimes forget that typically, a guy look Dumervil gets to sign ONE big contract. Odds are, he is out of the league before the contract is over, or he is banged up and making the veteran minimum.

That's why it is so rare for a player to give a home town discount (as fans like to ask for), because they just went through four or five years of being underpaid on their rookie deal, and are going to sign a four or five year deal, which will likely be their ONLY big money contact (in NFL terms).

Slick
10-26-2009, 04:02 PM
Haynesworth is still a monster. The Redskin defense is a pretty good unit. Harrison is turning it on and he has 7 sacks this year after going 3 or 4 games without one. Suggs was always overrated and actually regressed during his time in the NFL (if you pull up your numbers you'll see that he benefitted from the "OMG HE'S A RAVENS' DEFENSIVE PLAYER SO HE'S GOD" syndrome). http://www.nfl.com/players/terrellsuggs/profile?id=SUG467201

I think you're going to end up paying the man. I've never been big on the "they get paid and quit" theory. Shaun Rogers, a notoriously lazy bum got paid by Cleveland and he's playing well on a team that had no reason to show up after week 3.
I wanted us to make a run at Rodgers when we had a chance. Ben and Casey couldn't move that guy no matter how hard they both tried.

Not everyone falls into that category, obviously King. I think we'll pay him too. I mean who else do we have, or have we had in a very long time that gets after a QB like Elvis does, and from both sides too if I'm not mistaken. If he gets his payday in Denver, and I hope he does, he should buy Mike Nolan something nice.

honz
10-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Inside sources tell Josina Anderson that McD is going to try and destroy Doom's market value by dropping him in coverage on 1st and 2nd down and taking him off the field on 3rd down. Josina is currently trying to rectify the situation. Situation is fluid.

Tned
10-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Hopefully Frank Schwab is right here:

@fs3142 Possible, yes. RT @JTollerud possibility we have any Broncos Contracts negotiated b4 end of season? Marshall Kuper Dumervil most notable!

Not sure where the Orton love is...

BroncoWave
10-26-2009, 04:04 PM

He might just be trying to up his trade value! :lol:

elsid13
10-26-2009, 04:04 PM

Haynesworth is so out of shape he faking an injury every other series so he can get a breather on the sideline.

jhildebrand
10-26-2009, 04:05 PM
That contract may set the price for a guy like Dumerville. However, I believe most people around the league can recognize Dumerville's is a good fit with Nolan's system guy.

honz
10-26-2009, 04:05 PM
People sometimes forget that typically, a guy look Dumervil gets to sign ONE big contract. Odds are, he is out of the league before the contract is over, or he is banged up and making the veteran minimum.

That's why it is so rare for a player to give a home town discount (as fans like to ask for), because they just went through four or five years of being underpaid on their rookie deal, and are going to sign a four or five year deal, which will likely be their ONLY big money contact (in NFL terms).

Yep. If the NFL had guaranteed contracts players would likely be far more willing to help their teams out financially. Players can sign 15 million dollar contracts, but if they blow out a knee they lose out on the 10 million that wasn't guaranteed. Too much injury risk.

Poet
10-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Haynesworth is so out of shape he faking an injury every other series so he can get a breather on the sideline.

This year Washington is seventh in total defense.

Third in pass defense.

24th in Rushing.

They have a pretty good defense. FWIW I've seen Ocho Cinco do the same thing.

Tned
10-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Yep. If the NFL had guaranteed contracts players would likely be far more willing to help their teams out financially. Players can sign 15 million dollar contracts, but if they blow out a knee they lose out on the 10 million that wasn't guaranteed. Too much injury risk.

Which is why fans talk about "home town discounts" or how if players rally believed in their own talent they should be willing to sign "incentive laden contracts that protect the team", they simply don't get the fact that this is a cut throat business, with next to ZERO loyalty from the team to the player, so the fans shouldn't expect some type of 'fan based' loyalty between the player and team/fans.

It's not to say someone like Doom doesn't love playing in Denver and love the fans, he might very well love it. However, if we are talking a few hundred K or even a million difference, maybe he takes a fraction less to stay in Denver. However, if he can get $30 million guaranteed and $50 million total for five years (just throwing out random numbers) from the Raiders and the Broncos best offer is $15 million guaranteed and $45 million for 5 years. Doom will be a Raider.

This is a business, and they have to think about themselves and their family, before they think about the fans and/or the team that drafted them.

elsid13
10-26-2009, 04:14 PM
This year Washington is seventh in total defense.

Third in pass defense.

24th in Rushing.

They have a pretty good defense. FWIW I've seen Ocho Cinco do the same thing.

Those numbers are that way because the Skins have played those powerhouse offense of KC, St Louis, TB, Detroit and Carolina. That defense isn't as good as skins fans make it out it to be.

TXBRONC
10-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Which is why fans talk about "home town discounts" or how if players rally believed in their own talent they should be willing to sign "incentive laden contracts that protect the team", they simply don't get the fact that this is a cut throat business, with next to ZERO loyalty from the team to the player, so the fans shouldn't expect some type of 'fan based' loyalty between the player and team/fans.

It's not to say someone like Doom doesn't love playing in Denver and love the fans, he might very well love it. However, if we are talking a few hundred K or even a million difference, maybe he takes a fraction less to stay in Denver. However, if he can get $30 million guaranteed and $50 million total for five years (just throwing out random numbers) from the Raiders and the Broncos best offer is $15 million guaranteed and $45 million for 5 years. Doom will be a Raider.

This is a business, and they have to think about themselves and their family, before they think about the fans and/or the team that drafted them.

And just because a player takes the better offer doesn't that they are arrogant money grubbers like I've heard it suggested on this board.

Tned
10-26-2009, 04:17 PM
And just because a player takes the better offer doesn't that they are arrogant money grubbers like I've heard it suggested on this board.

It means they aren't an idiot. As mentioned above, one injury, one blown knee, and the the non-guaranteed portion of their contract is history.

Poet
10-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Those numbers are that way because the Skins have played those powerhouse offense of KC, St Louis, TB, Detroit and Carolina. That defense isn't as good as skins fans make it out it to be.

Fair enough, but they can't magically make their competition any better.

You can point out that their competition is weak, and I can point out that their offense is 24th in total offense, 20th in passing, and 22th in rushing. Their defense isn't exactly getting off the field a lot.

I think Haynesworth is still a pretty monstrous player.

Tned
10-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Our friend Frank Schwab's opinion on which contract is most likely to be done first:

@fs3142 Just a guess, but Kuper. Cheapest, least likely to hit it big on open market RT @JTollerud Which contract most likely to be done first?

Dortoh
10-26-2009, 04:22 PM
What the hell happened to the titans?

Bam

Poet
10-26-2009, 04:23 PM

Bam

Yeah, it's amazing, it's like an entire defensive line was carried by a single player or something.!

BAMx2.

Zweems56
10-26-2009, 04:24 PM
inside sources tell josina anderson that mcd is going to try and destroy doom's market value by dropping him in coverage on 1st and 2nd down and taking him off the field on 3rd down. Josina is currently trying to rectify the situation. Situation is fluid.

******* bombshell out of denver! Look out!

Slick
10-26-2009, 04:26 PM
Who is josina Anderson?

Poet
10-26-2009, 04:26 PM
Who is josina Anderson?

A playboy "model".....I think.

Tned
10-26-2009, 04:30 PM

Bam

After it was released on DVD, nobody remembers them anymore...

Tned
10-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Schwab tweet:

@fs3142 DeMarcus Ware signs 6 years, $78M with a $20M signing bonus. Elvis won't get that, but that's why he won't take a discount now

Tned
10-26-2009, 06:50 PM
Another Schwab tweet -- a reporter, not a fan, stating the obvious:

@fs3142 Elvis is a good guy, but no way he takes a discount. Why? RT @JTollerud Orton, Doom and Kuper seem like they would take a pay cut 4 team

Dumvervil isn't going to give the Broncos a discount just because he likes them.

Dreadnought
10-26-2009, 07:31 PM
It means they aren't an idiot. As mentioned above, one injury, one blown knee, and the the non-guaranteed portion of their contract is history.

Just ask Leon Washington about that today

Tned
10-26-2009, 07:33 PM

Yep. Most of these are lucky to get that one big contract. They need it to be as big, with as much guaranteed, as possible.

I hope we are able to sign Marshall, Doom, Kuper and possibly Orton, but it isn't going to be easy.

Dreadnought
10-26-2009, 07:36 PM
Yep. Most of these are lucky to get that one big contract. They need it to be as big, with as much guaranteed, as possible.

I hope we are able to sign Marshall, Doom, Kuper and possibly Orton, but it isn't going to be easy.

Do not forget Scheffler, who is now in the top tier of receiving TE's in the league IMO. Not sure the money they usually command, but his skill set is rare and extremely valuable.

Day1BroncoFan
10-26-2009, 07:38 PM
What would the "Doom and Gloom" defense be without Doom? Hope we can find a way to keep him around.

TXBRONC
10-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Unfortunately I think some people will try to demonize Dumervil if doesn't give the Broncos a hometown discount.

TXBRONC
10-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Do not forget Scheffler, who is now in the top tier of receiving TE's in the league IMO. Not sure the money they usually command, but his skill set is rare and extremely valuable.

I don't think it's as much as top flight pass rusher but realistically there is no the Broncos will be able to re-sign all of their own free agents.

Dreadnought
10-26-2009, 07:51 PM
I don't think it's as much as top flight pass rusher but realistically there is no the Broncos will be able to re-sign all of their own free agents.

I agree on both counts - IMO if we have to sacrifice one it should be Marshall then

Tned
10-26-2009, 07:56 PM
I agree on both counts - IMO if we have to sacrifice one it should be Marshall then

I disagree. I consider Marshall the only 'must sign' guy on the team.

The offense with Marshall on the field and off has been night and day. There just are not many guys in the NFL with Marshall's talent. We can spend the next ten years drafting WRs without coming up with anyone even close to his talent level (just like we did in the 20 years before he was drafted).

TXBRONC
10-26-2009, 07:59 PM

If push comes to shove I think McDaniels would give the nod to Marshall over Scheffler. I may be wrong about this but finding good tight ends developing them is easier than finding good receivers.

Dreadnought
10-26-2009, 08:16 PM
If push comes to shove I think McDaniels would give the nod to Marshall over Scheffler. I may be wrong about this but finding good tight ends developing them is easier than finding good receivers.

I take the opposite view; a Great TE is rarer and worth more than a great WR. I'll admit I'm probably in the minority there, but good WR's are pretty common. Plus I will never ever trust Marshall not to do stupid stuff

Tned
10-26-2009, 08:24 PM
I take the opposite view; a Great TE is rarer and worth more than a great WR. I'll admit I'm probably in the minority there, but good WR's are pretty common. Plus I will never ever trust Marshall not to do stupid stuff

I'm concerned about Marshall's off field stuff, but think how many WR's we have drafted, before we got someone with his talent. Think about how people keep giving TO another chance. The big, fast, dominant WRs are very rare, and teams will take chances and pay big bucks for them, because they are game changers.

I don't remember if they were talking about it during the game last week, or I read it, but someone was speculating that with Graham and Quinn, they thought it was unlikely that Scheffler would be resigned. I would hate to see that, as I think Scheffler can impact the game like Gates, Clark, Whitten and other vertical threat tight ends.

Dreadnought
10-26-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm concerned about Marshall's off field stuff, but think how many WR's we have drafted, before we got someone with his talent. Think about how people keep giving TO another chance. The big, fast, dominant WRs are very rare, and teams will take chances and pay big bucks for them, because they are game changers.

I don't remember if they were talking about it during the game last week, or I read it, but someone was speculating that with Graham and Quinn, they thought it was unlikely that Scheffler would be resigned. I would hate to see that, as I think Scheffler can impact the game like Gates, Clark, Whitten and other vertical threat tight ends.

Well, I've not been a fan of the Quinn pick since we made it for that reason. He seems more like another Graham than another Scheffler, and Graham is better at it.

IIR at the time it was unclear if Scheffler and McD saw things eye to eye, and there was a lot of guessing that Scheff was going to cop an attitude over the Cutler trade. That all seems out of date now

Tned
10-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Well, I've not been a fan of the Quinn pick since we made it for that reason. He seems more like another Graham than another Scheffler, and Graham is better at it.

IIR at the time it was unclear if Scheffler and McD saw things eye to eye, and there was a lot of guessing that Scheff was going to cop an attitude over the Cutler trade. That all seems out of date now

I think the other part of that was that McDaniels tended to use blocking TE's more than pass catching TE's, so early speculation was that Scheffler wouldn't find a home in the offense, which is probably why McDaniels drafted 'his' kind of TE.

As I read things in articles and camp reports, once McDaniels started seeing him in action, he realized he had a valuable weapon.

However, like everything this off season, it is impossible to seperate truth from speculation. We will likely never know what really went down with Cutler, Marshall, Scheffler and other stuff, unless McDaniels publishes his memoirs someday. We can all look forward to the "Audacity of a trade: The Josh McDaniels story" coming to a bookstore near us in 2037.

rcsodak
10-26-2009, 10:38 PM

True, but he's only 3.5 behind Suggs, through 4yrs, and he's already EQUALED Harrison, in 3 1/2 LESS years.

Doom is young, and humble. There's no reason to believe he'll expect the moon, nor the FO low-balling him.

rcsodak
10-26-2009, 10:42 PM

He's letting his play do his talking, along with his agent.....unlike BMarsh's scheme.

I imagine there are hundreds of players playing for less than their worth. But biz is biz, and with the current contract talks and the future of the CBA, I'd venture to say many teams will be frugal about their decision making. At least in the short term. And I'm sure most of the smarter players realize this.

rcsodak
10-26-2009, 10:53 PM

Either he, or his agent *or both* is a dumbass!

They have Thomas Jones, and they are VERY high on their recent draft pick.

He's offered $4M/year and he tells them he wants 6!!!!!!

Sure hope he enjoys those foodstamps next year. :coffee:

In the famous words of 'Walter'........"DUMBASS!"

Poet
10-26-2009, 11:05 PM
True, but he's only 3.5 behind Suggs, through 4yrs, and he's already EQUALED Harrison, in 3 1/2 LESS years.

Doom is young, and humble. There's no reason to believe he'll expect the moon, nor the FO low-balling him.

To be fair Harrison never saw any real important playing time until 2006..

Dumvervil is good, but any comparisons to Harrison are a big premature.

WARHORSE
10-26-2009, 11:54 PM
Who is josina Anderson?

Josina is the baddest, most fluid, most ontopofit fly reporter ever, and shes got the voice of the players in her ear. You dont mess wit Josina, or she will RECTIFY your situation.

When Josina tweets, EVERYBODY listens!

If tapped, when Josina tweets, she could supply power to Australia for three days.

A picture is worth a thousand words. A Josina tweet is worth a BILLION WORDS!

Josina has mastered her own form of marshall arts....its called TWEET JUNE DO! (the art of tweeting without tweeting!)

A Josina tweet delivered to the head is the preferred method of execution in all the southern states!

You have to ASK Josina to read one of her tweets.......or she'll kill ya!

When youre Josina Anderson, anything plus anything equals one. One roundhouse tweet to the head.

Josina once sent a tweet to Phil Ivey and told him she had a better hand than he did.............and he folded a royal flush!

Lets just say......................Josina Anderson brings some cold hard tweet facts!:coffee:

(that is of course if you hear her tell it. In reality, shes dumber than dirt........)

LordTrychon
10-27-2009, 12:16 AM
To be fair Harrison never saw any real important playing time until 2006..

Dumvervil is good, but any comparisons to Harrison are a big premature.

To be fair... who's fault is it that Harrison didn't see any time until 2006?

Poet
10-27-2009, 01:08 AM
To be fair... who's fault is it that Harrison didn't see any time until 2006?

I don't see how that's really relevant, but I do recall Pittsburgh fans talking about how Cowher was too loyal to a bunch of "his guys", so I really don't think it's on Harrison.

I'm not dissing Elvis, but Harrison is on another level.

Northman
10-27-2009, 05:51 AM
Yea, i took Ware 4 years to land this contract. If Doom can produce another couple of years like he is doing now pay the man. Its a no brainer for me.

Tned
10-27-2009, 07:10 AM
Yea, i took Ware 4 years to land this contract. If Doom can produce another couple of years like he is doing now pay the man. Its a no brainer for me.

Yes, four years (five if you count this year), but if I'm not mistaken, he was still playing under his rookie contract, just like Doom.

That's the difference, Doom won't have to produce a couple more years, because some team (Broncos or another), will pay him now, because he is a free agent now.

Unless he falls flat the rest of the year, his big year came at the perfect time for him.

broncofaninfla
10-27-2009, 07:49 AM
Nobody is worth the money they pay them but it is what it is. Does anybody know who Dooms agent is?

SmilinAssasSin27
10-27-2009, 07:52 AM
Elvis will get his. He ain't goin anywhere.

TXBRONC
10-27-2009, 08:08 AM

Ware had a rookie contract that was 5 years in length Dumervil's was 4 years in length Broncos don't have 2 more years to wait.

Tned
10-27-2009, 08:48 AM
Elvis will get his. He ain't goin anywhere.

I hope you're right. Only time will tell if McDaniels, Bowlen and company are willing to shell out the big bucks to keep him.

Ware had a rookie contract that was 5 years in length Dumervil's was 4 years in length Broncos don't have 2 more years to wait.

Not sure where Ware was picked, but probably first or second round? Typically your high draft picks get five years and your mid/low picks four years these days.

Timing is everything. Dooms first two years weren't exactly horrible, he has just been streaky.

He had 21 sacks in his first two seasons (8.5, 12.5), and then fell off to 5 last year when the defense was horrendous. He's up to 10 this season, so in his first 54 games he has 36 sacks.

Streaky, helped by the system, it doesn't really matter, those numbers are going to get him big dollars some place.

TXBRONC
10-27-2009, 09:07 AM
I hope you're right. Only time will tell if McDaniels, Bowlen and company are willing to shell out the big bucks to keep him.

Not sure where Ware was picked, but probably first or second round? Typically your high draft picks get five years and your mid/low picks four years these days.

Timing is everything. Dooms first two years weren't exactly horrible, he has just been streaky.

He had 21 sacks in his first two seasons (8.5, 12.5), and then fell off to 5 last year when the defense was horrendous. He's up to 10 this season, so in his first 54 games he has 36 sacks.

Streaky, helped by the system, it doesn't really matter, those numbers are going to get him big dollars some place.

Ware was the 11th overall pick in the first round of the 2005 draft.

I know it's assumption but I think as bad as the defense was last year that's the primary reason Elvis had such a big dip in his production.