PDA

View Full Version : Should we get an Aussie punter?

Kapaibro
12-31-2007, 09:41 AM
VICTORIAN NFL aspirants Stephen Paulke and Finbar Simpson will take the first step to realising their dream of becoming American footballers at a prestigious camp in the US next week.

Paulke, 18, and Simpson, 20, have been invited to attend the Chris Sailer annual national kicking event in Las Vegas from January 12.

The camp, which attracts 300 NFL hopefuls every year, provides expert tuition and exposure to recruiters from the top colleges across the US.

In the past five years, more than 180 kickers/punters who attended the camp have earned full scholarships to division one colleges to boost their prospects of an NFL career.

Paulke and Simpson will also attend top camps held by NFL legend Ray Guy and leading NFL coach Ray Pelfrey while in the US.

"It's a great opportunity," said Simpson, who comes from a rugby background in Queensland.

"There is no real future for gridiron in Australia, so that's where you have got to go and this is the way to go about it."

Paulke and Simpson have honed their kicking techniques with other American football hopefuls at the Ozpunt punting and kicking academy in Melbourne.

Ozpunt's Adam Runciman said there was a lot of interest in Australian kickers from the US colleges.

"The best kicker in the NFL at the moment, Mat McBriar, is an Australian, so that has created a hype over Australian kickers," Runciman said.

"The other thing is when Ben Graham first went to the (New York) Jets, he introduced the drop punt, which they call end-over-end, which has become quite popular among the NFL punters.

"Now all these college coaches love it, but they don't have anyone that can use it or who has ever kicked it before.

"When you say you've got an Australian, the first question they ask is, 'Can they kick it end-over-end?'."

Aussie Rules guys are absolutely hard as nails. We could get one, and they even tackle! These guys NEVER wear pads, and the hits in AFL are brutal!

Italianmobstr7
12-31-2007, 12:01 PM
It wouldn't be a bad idea. They can punt like nobodies business, and lay down a hit or 2. I doubt it happens, but I wouldn't be against it.

shank
12-31-2007, 02:04 PM
i've been preaching this notion to my friends for a couple of years now. having watched aussie football, these guys ARE tough as nails and i've seen them kick the ball 50 yards downfield while running away from a guy at full speed and have it land in the arms of one of their teammates. add to that a reduced risk of "punter tackles" (aka fall over 5 yards away from the ball carrier) and i don't see why every single team doesn't have a guy from australia!

BOSSHOGG30
12-31-2007, 02:05 PM
It would be nice to see us bring in somone to challenge the guy we have now, but I really hope we look to the draft in the 6th or 7th rounds or even a undrafted free agent to compete.

CoachChaz
12-31-2007, 02:08 PM
I don't give a shyt where he comes from or if he can tackle. I just want him to avoid cops and be capable of a 40 yard net.
________
CHRYSLER FIREPOWER HISTORY (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_Firepower)

BOSSHOGG30
12-31-2007, 02:09 PM
And don't kick to some of the better kick returners in the league... Hester, Figurs, Davis, Cribbs, etc.

frauschieze
12-31-2007, 02:10 PM
I don't give a shyt where he comes from or if he can tackle. I just want him to avoid cops and be capable of a 40 yard net.

Agreed but I would also like whoever it is to be capable of NOT kicking to Hester. Do you think that's too much?

CoachChaz
12-31-2007, 02:16 PM
Agreed but I would also like whoever it is to be capable of NOT kicking to Hester. Do you think that's too much?

Slow down...we can only ask for so much.
________
HONDA FC SPORT SPECIFICATIONS (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_FC_Sport)

Kapaibro
12-31-2007, 03:42 PM
And when Elam retires, we get this guy for place kicking.

Dan Carter and 'THE KICK' (http://youtube.com/watch?v=kIMEjYxQ82I)

*ignore the dodgey music*

Retired_Member_001
12-31-2007, 03:45 PM
As long as he doesn't kick to Hester and then just lay there like a hurdle after, he's good.