PDA

View Full Version : Javon 1600+

Crush05
09-04-2007, 04:32 PM
This would rock if it comes true with the other receivers getting the ball also!!!!:D

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=3004219

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Javon Walker accumulated 1,084 yards and eight touchdowns last season while coming off two knee surgeries and joining a new offense that stumbled along for much of the season behind weak-armed Jake Plummer.

With Jay Cutler under center, a cast of young, fast receivers all around, a year under his belt in Mike Shanahan's system and another year removed from the operating room, Walker figures he can have a monster season.

"I mean, obviously when healthy in Green Bay, (I was) putting up 1,400" yards, Walker said. "So, now back fully healthy ... I could easily be 1,500 or 1,600."

Walker's high was 1,382 yards and 12 TDs in 2004, when he went to the Pro Bowl.

"Like I've always said, given the opportunity, the sky's the limit," Walker said. "We've got a group of receivers where each and every one of us can get each other open."

With Rod Smith still recovering from offseason hip surgery, second-year speedster Brandon Marshall will start at split end with Walker moving over to flanker and newcomer Brandon Stokley lining up in the slot.

"Nobody out there as far as in the NFL knows what Brandon can do on Sundays, but we know because we see him every day in practice," Walker said.

"So, I'm excited having a guy like that on the other side, along with Stokley in the slot. I've always said, you're only as good as the other guy on the other side of you. And we feel like if we're all on the field, there's not too many teams that can match up 1-on-1 with each one of us."

The return of lineman Matt Lepsis and the addition of Travis Henry in the backfield should open up the passing game for the Broncos this season, too.

"He's been putting up numbers each and every year he's been out there," Walker said. "You can what he did last year (in Tennessee) ... on a team that really wasn't a contender but he still put up numbers, You throw him in this offense with the weapons all around him, he's just going to make us better."

Skinny
09-04-2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the article Crush.

Considering the talent in Jay and the supporting cast around them both (Graham, Stokley, Sheff, Henry, Marshall, Nalen, Lepsis, etc...). And the fact that Javon is as healthy now as he has been since being in a Bronco uni, he very well has the talent and the QB to acheive such a lofty goal.

Teams defenses are not going to be able to key in on Javon as they did much of last season.

And of course alot of things will have to come together for that happen but it can happen and that's what makes it attainable IMO.

You gotta love his attitude!

Crush05
09-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the article Crush.

Considering the talent in Jay and the supporting cast around them both (Graham, Stokley, Sheff, Henry, Marshall, Nalen, Lepsis, etc...). And the fact that Javon is as healthy now as he has been since being in a Bronco uni, he very well has the talent and the QB to acheive such a lofty goal.

Teams defenses are not going to be able to key in on Javon as they did much of last season.

And of course alot of things will have to come together for that happen but it can happen and that's what makes it attainable IMO.

You gotta love his attitude!

I could not agree with you more!!!:salute:

RunYouOver
09-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Good article.

1600?

I think that may be pushing it a little :laugh:

:first:

Crush05
09-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Good article.

1600?

I think that may be pushing it a little :laugh:

:first:

I want what your smokin!!!!:rolleyes:

SM19
09-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Definitely possible. It's been awhile since we've had a truly elite receiver on this team, so we're not used to numbers like that, but I certainly wouldn't count it out.

Dean
09-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Javon gave my answer in his statement. "Given the opportunity. . . "

He won't be given the opportunity. This isn't pass happy Green Bay. I can't see Jay zeroing in on one receiver. Shanahan in an effort to protect a young and inexperienced QB IMO will run the ball even more than usual.

BroncoWave
09-04-2007, 08:38 PM

He won't be given the opportunity. This isn't pass happy Green Bay. I can't see Jay zeroing in on one receiver. Shanahan in an effort to protect a young and inexperienced QB IMO will run the ball even more than usual.

Maybe at first, but if Jay shows that he can handle it, I think that Shanny will let him pass it more and more. Jay's arm should really allow us to open up our offense this season and not force our RBs to win games for us.

Dean
09-04-2007, 09:00 PM
When you allow an inexperienced strong arm QB to carry a team on his shoulders the pressure on him is ratcheted up. It's a formula that is seldom successful. To live by the pass under those circumstances usually is to die by the pass.

Don't throw out the Rothlesberger (sp?) as an example he threw only after the running game had brought the eighth man into the box.

IMO trial by fire is not the best way to develop a fanchise QB.

TXBRONC
09-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Denver will be in terrific shape if Javon has around 1,100 yards and 70 catches.

SBboundBRONCOS
09-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Denver will be in terrific shape if Javon has around 1,100 yards and 70 catches.

so pretty much the same production he had last year:tsk:

lol, i think that hes gonna be a top 5 WR in Yards, TDs, and catches . . . .a guys can hope cant he

but i think its possible if jay does what most beieve he is possible of

also teams cannot ust focus on walker if the do marshall will beat them, if they take out marshall, stokley, hixon, clark, will step up

if not then we have graham, scheffler, nate, and alexander to get some catches

if all else fails let henry ram it down their throats:eek:

we honestly have a team with so many weapons, it shouldnt be fair, we just need the glue(cutler) to hold it all together

Lonestar
09-04-2007, 11:38 PM
When you allow an inexperienced strong arm QB to carry a team on his shoulders the pressure on him is ratcheted up. It's a formula that is seldom successful. To live by the pass under those circumstances usually is to die by the pass.

Don't throw out the Rothlesberger (sp?) as an example he threw only after the running game had brought the eighth man into the box.

IMO trial by fire is not the best way to develop a franchise QB.

Once again a voice of reason.

Mikey will run the ball first, almost always has and will most likely always will. With the running game established then the passing game runs up the score
making the other team one dimensional once they are forced to pass all the time, the dfense kicks into pass rush only, and then the running game kills the clock.

While he want Jay to have a good year there is only one ball and if you expect Thenry to get 300+ carries and 1500 or so yards that will eat alot of clock up this year.

Can't have your cake and eat it also.

TXBRONC
09-04-2007, 11:42 PM
so pretty much the same production he had last year:tsk:

lol, i think that hes gonna be a top 5 WR in Yards, TDs, and catches . . . .a guys can hope cant he

but i think its possible if jay does what most beieve he is possible of

also teams cannot ust focus on walker if the do marshall will beat them, if they take out marshall, stokley, hixon, clark, will step up

if not then we have graham, scheffler, nate, and alexander to get some catches

if all else fails let henry ram it down their throats:eek:

we honestly have a team with so many weapons, it shouldnt be fair, we just need the glue(cutler) to hold it all together

Ok let say about 80 catches, 1200 yards and 8 tds. As you mention Cutler has a lot of weapon at his disposal and he seems to do a pretty good job distributing the ball.

SBboundBRONCOS
09-04-2007, 11:52 PM
Ok let say about 80 catches, 1200 yards and 8 tds. As you mention Cutler has a lot of weapon at his disposal and he seems to do a pretty good job distributing the ball.

sounds very reasonable.:salute:

i can still have my dreams though

walker at the end of the year will be like this face:first:

Retired_Member_001
09-05-2007, 09:59 AM
I have backed Javon even before we signed him.

The thing with Javon is he has never been able to really show what he can do. If he was never injured in 2005 and if he wasn't coming back from such a bad injury in 2006 aswell as having a bad Quarterback for 11 games then I am sure Javon Walker would have had a 1600+ receiving yards season. He can cope with getting the ball over 100 times in a season I think. The main problem is whoever is playing next to him because if one of our other receivers can't step up this season then it's going to be all defensive players on the other team V Javon Walker.

Just wait and see, in the next three seasons Javon is going to be a top 5 maybe top 3 receiver in the league if he stays healthy. Top 3 may sound crazy now but you wait and see.

Lonestar
09-05-2007, 10:25 AM
I have backed Javon even before we signed him.

The thing with Javon is he has never been able to really show what he can do. If he was never injured in 2005 and if he wasn't coming back from such a bad injury in 2006 aswell as having a bad Quarterback for 11 games then I am sure Javon Walker would have had a 1600+ receiving yards season. He can cope with getting the ball over 100 times in a season I think. The main problem is whoever is playing next to him because if one of our other receivers can't step up this season then it's going to be all defensive players on the other team V Javon Walker.

Just wait and see, in the next three seasons Javon is going to be a top 5 maybe top 3 receiver in the league if he stays healthy. Top 3 may sound crazy now but you wait and see.

I too have been a Javon fan from the minute we DAFTED ashely, the pick before GB took Walker.

What a waste of a draft choice! How much better could we have been all those years with Walker.

But almost since then, mikey has either gotten better advise about picking players or he is indeed making better choices.

With the two TE's, Stokely, Marshall and last but not least Thenry the defenses IF our OLine holds together will have a tough time double teaming anyone.

But remember there is only ONE football on the field at any one given time and there are just so many plays in a game.

Retired_Member_001
09-05-2007, 10:42 AM
I too have been a Javon fan from the minute we DAFTED ashely, the pick before GB took Walker.

What a waste of a draft choice! How much better could we have been all those years with Walker.

But almost since then, mikey has either gotten better advise about picking players or he is indeed making better choices.

I agree with you.

With the two TE's, Stokely, Marshall and last but not least Thenry the defenses IF our OLine holds together will have a tough time double teaming anyone.

But remember there is only ONE football on the field at any one given time and there are just so many plays in a game.

The problem is Marshall has given me and Shanahan the impression that he has a bad mentality. I think anyone could see Shanahan was upset with Marshall in training camp and especially upset at how Marshall was moaning to the media about all his problems. Another problem with Marshall is IF he can stay healthy.

Stokley is proven, there is no doubt about that. I just think he will really struggle at the START of the season because he had missed so much of last season.

Daniel Graham will get some of the ball but I assume he will still be mostly used for blocking and Stephen Alexander is ahead of Scheffler on the Depth Chart although that means nothing. Stephen Alexander doesn't wow me with his receiving skills.

Henry is our other main threat on the offense. I think Henry will see alot of the ball as will Walker.

I am not too worried about our offensive line when it comes to the run but I am very worried in terms of them blocking against the pass rush. I don't know if you remember my post about sacks allowed on Broncomania but the teams that allowed the same ammount of sacks as us were amazingly average. Also with Jay not scrambling on every play as Plummer did we will have to add a few more of sacks to our ammount. We also have our best pass blocker coming back from a very bad injury and at the same time he is underweight. Ben Hamilton isn't as good as some people may think in my opinion, he is as strong as a feather.

I believe alot will rely on Cutler breaking out early, Walker getting open and getting the ball as much as possible and Henry getting alot of the ball aswell.

Lonestar
09-05-2007, 11:09 AM
I agree with you.

The problem is Marshall has given me and Shanahan the impression that he has a bad mentality. I think anyone could see Shanahan was upset with Marshall in training camp and especially upset at how Marshall was moaning to the media about all his problems. Another problem with Marshall is IF he can stay healthy.

Stokley is proven, there is no doubt about that. I just think he will really struggle at the START of the season because he had missed so much of last season.

Daniel Graham will get some of the ball but I assume he will still be mostly used for blocking and Stephen Alexander is ahead of Scheffler on the Depth Chart although that means nothing. Stephen Alexander doesn't wow me with his receiving skills.

Henry is our other main threat on the offense. I think Henry will see alot of the ball as will Walker.

I am not too worried about our offensive line when it comes to the run but I am very worried in terms of them blocking against the pass rush. I don't know if you remember my post about sacks allowed on Broncomania but the teams that allowed the same ammount of sacks as us were amazingly average. Also with Jay not scrambling on every play as Plummer did we will have to add a few more of sacks to our ammount. We also have our best pass blocker coming back from a very bad injury and at the same time he is underweight. Ben Hamilton isn't as good as some people may think in my opinion, he is as strong as a feather.

I believe alot will rely on Cutler breaking out early, Walker getting open and getting the ball as much as possible and Henry getting alot of the ball aswell.

Pretty good, But where they will be the leaders there will be better balance this year in receiving. graham will probably be getting some 30 or more receptions this year. alexander probably one per game average since he will be in on running downs mostly. Scheffler may not have the blocking skills they want but he will be seeing alot of longer catches than we have seen for awhile probably in the 30-35 catches this year. Stokely will get some because someone will be stupid enough to try to double Walker occasionally. If Jay is as good as they say he will pick up on this.

I do not quite have the same confidence that everyone does about the OLINE initially there are a lot of new bodies up there playing next to players not active or even on the team last year. Te OLINE is perhaps the one part of the team that needs to be a well oiled machine that knows what the guy next to him doing not reacting to what happened next to him. This will take time to become a machine again. Could come together quickly or mid season before they become on the Run at least unstoppable.

Now Pass protection scares me, I just hope that Jay is wearing one of the best Helmets made to take the shock of hitting the turf at full speed.

Skinny
09-05-2007, 11:43 AM

He won't be given the opportunity. This isn't pass happy Green Bay. I can't see Jay zeroing in on one receiver. Shanahan in an effort to protect a young and inexperienced QB IMO will run the ball even more than usual. Great post Dean.

However this is the very reason i beleive Javon will be given the opportunity to acheive such a lofty goal.

In many situations especially in the early part of the season, IMO, this will be a pass happy offense. Due to the simple fact of, as you mentioned, an unproven Jay Cutler.

In Shannys effort to protect a young and experianced Cutler, opposing defenses will see and know this and will do everything they can to stop the run and put the ball in Jays hands.

We may very well have to use the passing game to set up the running game.

D-coord. will stack 8 men in the box to acheive this goal therefore bringing a Safety up to help. That will in affect take an extra DB out of the seondary and open up alot more passing lanes and open space for Javon to roam.

The ability to sell the "play action" and its success, will play a key part in Javon being singled up in "man" coverage.

This is not a given but just a mere adjustment on Shannys part to move the ball down the feild. There really is nor will there be any other choice.
Shanahan in an effort to protect a young and inexperienced QB IMO will run the ball even more than usual.Make no bones about it, this will be the mind set of every teams defense facing Denver and teams will force us to put the ball and the game in Jays hands. This will continue to be the case until Jay proves can win a game for us consistantly with his head and his arm.

Rather he's capable of it or not, we'll see. After all, Javons goal of 1,600yds, will come down to Jay and Shannys ability to compromise and adjust.

:2cents:

Would really like to hear back on your opinion on this Dean for i have always enjoyed and respected your insight, much like i have on many posters on this board.

Thanks.

Retired_Member_001
09-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Pretty good, But where they will be the leaders there will be better balance this year in receiving. graham will probably be getting some 30 or more receptions this year. alexander probably one per game average since he will be in on running downs mostly. Scheffler may not have the blocking skills they want but he will be seeing alot of longer catches than we have seen for awhile probably in the 30-35 catches this year. Stokely will get some because someone will be stupid enough to try to double Walker occasionally. If Jay is as good as they say he will pick up on this.

I do not quite have the same confidence that everyone does about the OLINE initially there are a lot of new bodies up there playing next to players not active or even on the team last year. Te OLINE is perhaps the one part of the team that needs to be a well oiled machine that knows what the guy next to him doing not reacting to what happened next to him. This will take time to become a machine again. Could come together quickly or mid season before they become on the Run at least unstoppable.

Now Pass protection scares me, I just hope that Jay is wearing one of the best Helmets made to take the shock of hitting the turf at full speed.

I pretty much agree.

I think most teams will mostly focus on Walker in terms of receiving threats and that will allow Stokley, Graham and Scheffler to get wide open sometimes. Of course Marshall wont pick up on this as he will be moaning to the media about how he stubbed his little toe and how Shanahan was a very bad man for making him get in the field. :rolleyes:

I don't see Graham being a major receiving threat actually, I see him being the blocking TE and Scheffler coming on to receive. It will be Graham and Alexander for running plays and Graham (blocking) and Scheffler (receiving) being on for passing plays.

Second to Javon I think it will be Stokley in receptions and receiving yards, as you can tell I am not to sure about Marshall.

I think Shanahan is going to have to change his idea of having only 2 Quarterbacks on the Depth Chart. With our offensive line the way it is I think we are going to need 10 Quarterbacks. ;)

Lonestar
09-05-2007, 12:37 PM
I pretty much agree.

I think most teams will mostly focus on Walker in terms of receiving threats and that will allow Stokley, Graham and Scheffler to get wide open sometimes. Of course Marshall wont pick up on this as he will be moaning to the media about how he stubbed his little toe and how Shanahan was a very bad man for making him get in the field. :rolleyes:

I don't see Graham being a major receiving threat actually, I see him being the blocking TE and Scheffler coming on to receive. It will be Graham and Alexander for running plays and Graham (blocking) and Scheffler (receiving) being on for passing plays.

Second to Javon I think it will be Stokley in receptions and receiving yards, as you can tell I am not to sure about Marshall.

I think Shanahan is going to have to change his idea of having only 2 Quarterbacks on the Depth Chart. With our offensive line the way it is I think we are going to need 10 Quarterbacks. ;)

I guess I have not seen the Marshall whinny points you bring out. I do not see all that much press on them for lack of time to watch for it.

Crush05
09-05-2007, 01:09 PM
I guess I have not seen the Marshall whinny points you bring out. I do not see all that much press on them for lack of time to watch for it.

I cannot say I have seen them either!:confused:

TXBRONC
09-05-2007, 02:05 PM
I cannot say I have seen them either!:confused:

Same here. However, you might remember just before the start of the preseason Shanahan had to give Marshall a "little nudge" when it came to nursing that injury he had. He was interviewed about and said he wasn't being as mentally tough as he needed to be. Since then there hasn't been any problems that I have heard about.