PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Elvis Dumervil had model for success in Chiefs great Derrick Thomas

Denver Native (Carol)
10-26-2009, 09:37 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13641319

Elvis Dumervil was only 5 years old when Derrick Thomas began his career with the Kansas City Chiefs, but Dumervil was watching.

Dumervil was raised in Miami, as Thomas was, and grew from a boy to a teenager with big pass-rushing dreams as Thomas starred for 11 seasons for the Kansas City Chiefs, racking up 126 1/2 sacks in his Hall of Fame career.

Yet it wasn't just the numbers Thomas put up that Dumervil dreamed of someday replicating. Young Elvis watched the way Thomas would try to strip the ball as he took down the quarterback, and how Thomas seemed to never wear down.

"He was relentless," said Dumervil, who was 16 when Thomas died in February 2000. "He played with a motor, and that's what I want to be known as — a guy who is nonstop that you have to account for four quarters."

Though the Broncos were idle Sunday, Dumervil's 10 sacks still lead the NFL. That total alone is impressive — as are his 36 career sacks since the start of his rookie year in 2006 — but what's more intriguing is exactly how Dumervil has been getting to the opposing quarterback this season.

Not only is he displaying the type of motor he so admired in Thomas — nine of his sacks have come in the second halves of games, including five in the fourth quarters — Dumervil is rushing the quarterback in several different ways.

"It's amazing, just amazing," linebacker Andra Davis said.

In Dumervil's previous NFL life, as a traditional (if undersized) defensive end in Mike Shanahan's 4-3 defense, he lined up almost exclusively on the right side of the Broncos' defensive front, facing off against the opponent's left tackle.

The Broncos new coaching staff threw out that way of using Dumervil as soon as they discarded the old system.

Now Dumervil plays stand-up outside linebacker in the base defense, and three of his sacks have come from this formation, either on first or second down.

When the Broncos go to their nickel defense with five defensive backs, Dumervil generally reverts to a hand-down defensive end. Seven of his sacks have come on third down, including four when the opponent has been in third-and-long situations.

The Broncos have also moved Dumervil from right to left and back again, making it increasingly difficult for opponents to figure out how to double-team him. Dumervil's sacks have been equally split: five from each side of the formation.

"If you don't know which tackle needs the help, it's hard to tell the back where to go," coach Josh McDaniels said. "So that's an advantage that any team has that can move a guy around, and Elvis has certainly done a nice job of being versatile and being able to move and line up in different spots."

Dumervil, who had only five sacks in a disappointing 2008 season, is also benefiting from a stronger group of pass rushers around him and more aggressive play-calling. Seven other players have at least one sack, and the pressure is coming from defensive linemen, his fellow linebackers and defensive backs.

"There are a lot of guys that are trying to get to the quarterback and do their job, so that makes it hard to double one player," McDaniels said.

It seems impossible Dumervil could continue at this rate — at an average of 1.7 sacks per game, he's on pace for 27 sacks this season, which would shatter the NFL record of 22 1/2 — but even with modest output after the bye, Dumervil could be headed to his first Pro Bowl, which will conveniently be played in South Florida, not far from his childhood home, even though he said he tries not to think about it.

"I really don't. And records and stuff, I mean, I have a lot of records at Louisville, but before I got them, I never thought about like, 'Oh, I'm going to get 20 sacks and 10 forced fumbles.' " Dumervil said. "You just go out and play football because you love the game, and along with that comes success and team success. I'm not the guy who Web searches every week to see where I'm at. I just let it come."

Tned
10-26-2009, 09:41 AM
It's great to see him get the recognition, and I love the big sacks he is coming up with, many of them key to winning games, but the more sacks he gets the harder it is going to be to sign him. I hope they can get it worked out.

KCL
10-26-2009, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the thread Carol...Derrick was a beast...miss the guy...one of the best LBs to play the game...glad he made the HOF and regardless of what you think of DT's personal life or how he died..he was taken too soon.

I know this article isn't about DT but thanks again for the thread Carol.It's nice to read that Elvis admired him.

Lonestar
10-26-2009, 12:35 PM
lets hope he will give DEN and Josh a hometown discount when it is contract time..

unless MIA comes in with a huge contract I think he will stick with DEN as they (Josh and Nolan) have reborn his career after a not so great 2008.. I doubt that Bill Parcels would give him the moon as he has always been pretty miserly..

I believe that Doom is happy now in DEN and I really do not see mercenary in his comments like I do some of the other players that will go to the highest bidder regardless of the situation of that team....

so many players have gone discounted to NE for the chance of playoffs each year.. I think our existing players are going to think twice before walking just for money....

Lonestar
10-26-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the thread Carol...Derrick was a beast...miss the guy...one of the best LBs to play the game...glad he made the HOF and regardless of what you think of DT's personal life or how he died..he was taken too soon.

I know this article isn't about DT but thanks again for the thread Carol.It's nice to read that Elvis admired him.

I will never forget that game that Sharpe climbed in his head and ultimately got him benched:salute:.. that was classic shannon the mouth..

Dortoh
10-26-2009, 12:38 PM
Post deleted out of respect for KCL and BF's

KCL
10-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Post deleted out of respect for KCL and BF's

That's okay...you didn't have to delete it...hell if a mod can post what he did..why can't you? ;)

And sorry Carol..I guess I took the thread off topic.

Dortoh
10-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Meh, its not the time or place of political issues.

TXBRONC
10-26-2009, 02:12 PM
I will never forget that game that Sharpe climbed in his head and ultimately got him benched:salute:.. that was classic shannon the mouth..

Thomas did not get benched in that game sorry.

KCL
10-26-2009, 02:13 PM

I was thinking he didn't.

Lonestar
10-26-2009, 02:15 PM

several times they brought him over to cool him down and each time Sharpe climbed back into his head..

TXBRONC
10-26-2009, 02:21 PM
several times they brought him over to cool him down and each time Sharpe climbed back into his head..

How is that same thing as being pulled out the game?

TXBRONC
10-26-2009, 02:24 PM
I was thinking he didn't.

He was you're best pass rusher. Schottenheimer wasn't stupid. You don't bench your best pass rusher unless he's either hurt or he's kick out of the game.

KCL
10-26-2009, 02:28 PM
He was you're best pass rusher. Schottenheimer wasn't stupid. You don't bench your best pass rusher unless either hurt or he's kick out of the game.

yea DT was missed big time on the field...I didn't mean to get the thread off topic...but actually maybe JR did :whoknows:

and to you JR...Yea I know how that game went..I watched it and yes DT did let SS get under his skin...it happens.

:focus:

This thread is more about Elvis than it is Derrick.

Lonestar
10-26-2009, 02:49 PM
How is that same thing as being pulled out the game?

If he is on the sidelines because SS got into his head he can't be making plays.. IIRC he had DT jumping off sides several times.. and getting penalized.. he was pulled out of the game several times and IIRC finally sat down late in the game..

it was a classic mind game that they were doing to each other..

two of the best players dueling back and forth.. with SS winning most of this day.. IIRC it was also in KC which heightened my glee ..

I dreaded playing in KC against him he was a force to be reckoned with..

Lonestar
10-26-2009, 02:50 PM
yea DT was missed big time on the field...I didn't mean to get the thread off topic...but actually maybe JR did :whoknows:

and to you JR...Yea I know how that game went..I watched it and yes DT did let SS get under his skin...it happens.

:focus:

This thread is more about Elvis than it is Derrick.

Hey your correct it is about Doom :salute: and how he wanted to be like DT lets hope that someone does not do that to him..

TXBRONC
10-26-2009, 02:59 PM
If he is on the sidelines because SS got into his head he can't be making plays.. IIRC he had DT jumping off sides several times.. and getting penalized.. he was pulled out of the game several times and IIRC finally sat down late in the game..

it was a classic mind game that they were doing to each other..

two of the best players dueling back and forth.. with SS winning most of this day.. IIRC it was also in KC which heightened my glee ..

I dreaded playing in KC against him he was a force to be reckoned with..

You have it ass backwards, he wasn't out the game at all end of story.

Now instead trying to throw shit on dead man by hijacking this thread why don't we get back on topic.

Dortoh
10-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Isnt that the game where he simply reached out and grabbed Sharpes face mask before the start of one play?

They would have been better off sitting him....if they didnt.

Lonestar
10-26-2009, 03:05 PM
You have it ass backwards, he wasn't out the game at all end of story.

Now instead trying to throw shit on dead man by hijacking this thread why don't we get back on topic.

not sure who pissed in your Wheaties today but..

yes TX he was on the sidelines alot that game.. I may not remember all things but that games is a vivid memory ..

and by no means is discussing that game is "trying to throw shit on dead man "..

I admired the intensity that he played with and he owned John Elway.. IIRC he was Johns all time sack master..

It was a sad day that he died.. could have been some thing even more special that he was..

TXBRONC
10-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Isnt that the game where he simply reached out and grabbed Sharpes face mask before the start of one play?

They would have been better off sitting him....if they didnt.

Letting him sit for few plays probably would have been beneficial but they didn't because they needed him on the field.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-26-2009, 03:12 PM
My intentions when posting this article was because it was about Dum - his admiration for Derrick, and how Dum is playing now. Could we just discuss the article?

TXBRONC
10-26-2009, 03:14 PM
not sure who pissed in your Wheaties today but..

yes TX he was on the sidelines alot that game.. I may not remember all things but that games is a vivid memory ..

and by no means is discussing that game is "trying to throw shit on dead man "..

I admired the intensity that he played with and he owned John Elway.. IIRC he was Johns all time sack master..

It was a sad day that he died.. could have been some thing even more special that he was..

Yep you're absolutely you don't remember a lot things and especially that game. And yes by the fact you just couldn't control not bring that show that you were trying to throw shit on him.

TXBRONC
10-26-2009, 03:15 PM
My intentions when posting this article was because it was about Dum - his admiration for Derrick, and how Dum is playing now. Could we just discuss the article?

Agreed. :salute:

KCL
10-26-2009, 03:16 PM

Sorry Carol...I take blame for this one..didn't mean to turn it into a DT
thread...:doh:

:couch:

Dortoh
10-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Can we all just agree there is always "blank" the person and "blank" the player? How about that. Maybe we could have a disscussion of the man himself in the politics forum and just focus on the player here in this forum.

I'm all for speaking my opinon on both matters but each has its place.

Dortoh
10-26-2009, 03:17 PM

So when you sent me the private message saying "watch this train wreck" you were talking about something else?

;)

KCL
10-26-2009, 03:19 PM
So when you sent me the private message saying "watch this train wreck" you were talking about something else?

;)

LMAO...Now :focus: damn it.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-26-2009, 03:19 PM

Not to worry - you did not turn it into a DT thread:salute:

TXBRONC
10-26-2009, 03:35 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13641319

Elvis Dumervil was only 5 years old when Derrick Thomas began his career with the Kansas City Chiefs, but Dumervil was watching.

Dumervil was raised in Miami, as Thomas was, and grew from a boy to a teenager with big pass-rushing dreams as Thomas starred for 11 seasons for the Kansas City Chiefs, racking up 126 1/2 sacks in his Hall of Fame career.

Yet it wasn't just the numbers Thomas put up that Dumervil dreamed of someday replicating. Young Elvis watched the way Thomas would try to strip the ball as he took down the quarterback, and how Thomas seemed to never wear down.

"He was relentless," said Dumervil, who was 16 when Thomas died in February 2000. "He played with a motor, and that's what I want to be known as — a guy who is nonstop that you have to account for four quarters."

Though the Broncos were idle Sunday, Dumervil's 10 sacks still lead the NFL. That total alone is impressive — as are his 36 career sacks since the start of his rookie year in 2006 — but what's more intriguing is exactly how Dumervil has been getting to the opposing quarterback this season.

Not only is he displaying the type of motor he so admired in Thomas — nine of his sacks have come in the second halves of games, including five in the fourth quarters — Dumervil is rushing the quarterback in several different ways.

"It's amazing, just amazing," linebacker Andra Davis said.

In Dumervil's previous NFL life, as a traditional (if undersized) defensive end in Mike Shanahan's 4-3 defense, he lined up almost exclusively on the right side of the Broncos' defensive front, facing off against the opponent's left tackle.

The Broncos new coaching staff threw out that way of using Dumervil as soon as they discarded the old system.

Now Dumervil plays stand-up outside linebacker in the base defense, and three of his sacks have come from this formation, either on first or second down.

When the Broncos go to their nickel defense with five defensive backs, Dumervil generally reverts to a hand-down defensive end. Seven of his sacks have come on third down, including four when the opponent has been in third-and-long situations.

The Broncos have also moved Dumervil from right to left and back again, making it increasingly difficult for opponents to figure out how to double-team him. Dumervil's sacks have been equally split: five from each side of the formation.

"If you don't know which tackle needs the help, it's hard to tell the back where to go," coach Josh McDaniels said. "So that's an advantage that any team has that can move a guy around, and Elvis has certainly done a nice job of being versatile and being able to move and line up in different spots."

Dumervil, who had only five sacks in a disappointing 2008 season, is also benefiting from a stronger group of pass rushers around him and more aggressive play-calling. Seven other players have at least one sack, and the pressure is coming from defensive linemen, his fellow linebackers and defensive backs.

"There are a lot of guys that are trying to get to the quarterback and do their job, so that makes it hard to double one player," McDaniels said.

It seems impossible Dumervil could continue at this rate — at an average of 1.7 sacks per game, he's on pace for 27 sacks this season, which would shatter the NFL record of 22 1/2 — but even with modest output after the bye, Dumervil could be headed to his first Pro Bowl, which will conveniently be played in South Florida, not far from his childhood home, even though he said he tries not to think about it.

"I really don't. And records and stuff, I mean, I have a lot of records at Louisville, but before I got them, I never thought about like, 'Oh, I'm going to get 20 sacks and 10 forced fumbles.' " Dumervil said. "You just go out and play football because you love the game, and along with that comes success and team success. I'm not the guy who Web searches every week to see where I'm at. I just let it come."

As I've said this kid has nose for the ball.