PDA

View Full Version : World Series Prediction Thread

Medford Bronco
10-26-2009, 08:32 AM
Now that we have an excellent matchup of Philly vs NY

Lets make some predictions.

I say Yankees in 6. Just too strong all the way through. The Phils are good but NY will not be denied this year.

MileHighCrew
10-26-2009, 08:42 AM
Philly in 6, more of a hope than a prediction, I hate NYY

gnomeflinger
10-26-2009, 10:20 AM
Philly in 6, more of a hope than a prediction, I hate NYY

Me too. As I said in another thread, the Yanks are all a bunch of dooshes.

Devilspawn
10-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Yanks will sweep.

Medford Bronco
10-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Yanks will sweep.

I hope so, I hate the Philly fans with a passion.
Any scumbags that would cheer when Michael Irvin had a potential spine injury are scum losers. The Flyers are also the dirtiest team since 1975 as well. Go Yanks. I hope Arod gets MVP as well to piss everyone off :lol:

CoachChaz
10-26-2009, 11:53 AM
I dont know if losing Michael Irvin as a human altogether would be a bad thing. Look deeper at some of the things he said about Philly and their fans prior to the injury and tell me how many booing fans knew the extent of the injury at the time. Well...I guess why bother with facts when opinions feel better, huh?

I pray Philly sweeps and A-Rod has a spine injury.

Realistically, I think it goes 7 games and the game 7 starters are Sabathia and Lee and Lee gets the win.

...and maybe A-Rod has a spine injury

Timmy!
10-26-2009, 12:41 PM
I hate the Yankees.

They win in 5.

Devilspawn
10-26-2009, 05:23 PM
Why does the world hate my sports teams???!

Slick
10-26-2009, 05:29 PM
I hope it's the Yankees. I made a small wager with the guy who cleans the apartment pool. I can sometimes be the Kiss of Death when it comes to betting. If the Yanks lose, y'all can blame me.

gnomeflinger
10-26-2009, 05:30 PM
I hope it's the Yankees. I made a small wager with the guy who cleans the apartment pool. I can sometimes be the Kiss of Death when it comes to betting. If the Yanks lose, y'all can blame me.

Blame? No sir, I'd kiss you!

Poet
10-26-2009, 05:40 PM
I dont know if losing Michael Irvin as a human altogether would be a bad thing. Look deeper at some of the things he said about Philly and their fans prior to the injury and tell me how many booing fans knew the extent of the injury at the time. Well...I guess why bother with facts when opinions feel better, huh?

I pray Philly sweeps and A-Rod has a spine injury.

Realistically, I think it goes 7 games and the game 7 starters are Sabathia and Lee and Lee gets the win.

...and maybe A-Rod has a spine injury
Coach, he lay on the ground motionless and was carted off the field. Philly fans are fundamentally worthless. Oh god, boo McNabb when we draft him, clearly he won't be any good. Derf.

I think the Yankees win in 6. I'm going to enjoy watching A-Rod get his ring.

Devilspawn
10-26-2009, 05:57 PM
I went to an Eagles game in 2001. Worst experience ever. The Eagles fans I know personally are great people, but a stadium full of them... yikes. Like I can talk right but still!

MileHighCrew
10-26-2009, 06:04 PM

You cheer for the Raiders, I am sorry but you brought that on yourself.

Poet
10-26-2009, 06:12 PM

I love you, bro.

BigDaddyBronco
10-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Coach, he lay on the ground motionless and was carted off the field. Philly fans are fundamentally worthless. Oh god, boo McNabb when we draft him, clearly he won't be any good. Derf.

IDK they booed Santa Claus...

McKeough
10-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Yankees sweep.

A-Rod (or Sabathia) gets MVP.

Money can buy happiness!

gnomeflinger
10-26-2009, 07:25 PM

Don't beat yourself up. It's not your fault you have a genetic defect. ;)

Devilspawn
10-26-2009, 08:08 PM
I love you, bro.
Keep that in mind if the Bengals beat the Raiders this year. Keep that in mind. :D

Denver Native (Carol)
10-26-2009, 08:12 PM
This WS could go either way, and I think it is hard to predict a winner up front.

Medford Bronco
10-26-2009, 08:19 PM

I dont hate the Yanks DS:salute:

Poet
10-26-2009, 08:41 PM
Keep that in mind if the Bengals beat the Raiders this year. Keep that in mind. :D

I only pwn the ones I love, so you iz screwed.

CoachChaz
10-27-2009, 12:02 PM

There were a ton of reasons they booed Irvin. You obviously arent aware.

As far as the McNabb thing...it had nothing to do with his ability as it did with what fans thought they needed at the time...they wanted Ricky Williams.

Tell me you've never been wrong about a Bungholes draft pick

Poet
10-27-2009, 12:06 PM
There were a ton of reasons they booed Irvin. You obviously arent aware.

As far as the McNabb thing...it had nothing to do with his ability as it did with what fans thought they needed at the time...they wanted Ricky Williams.

Tell me you've never been wrong about a Bungholes draft pick

They booed a guy who was laying on the ground motionless after he took a good shot. Yeah, somehow I doubt I'm goign to be booing Hines Ward after he screams "SAME OLD BUNGLES" if our safety or whomever smashes him over the middle and he isn't moving.

The McNabb thign was retarded. There's a difference between booing people and what they did there. That entire city has passionate fans who tend to be idiots. Either that or they whip up such a fervor that they can't see anything at all other than their own pure blind emotions.

CoachChaz
10-28-2009, 11:26 AM
They booed a guy who was laying on the ground motionless after he took a good shot. Yeah, somehow I doubt I'm goign to be booing Hines Ward after he screams "SAME OLD BUNGLES" if our safety or whomever smashes him over the middle and he isn't moving.

The McNabb thign was retarded. There's a difference between booing people and what they did there. That entire city has passionate fans who tend to be idiots. Either that or they whip up such a fervor that they can't see anything at all other than their own pure blind emotions.

I guess it's a scenario where you have to be there. And let's all please refrain from the "I went to a game there once" crap. I'll never defend Philly fans when it comes to some things they say and do, but having been there...living in the city...there are alot of reasons the passion comes out the way it does.

Something i really wouldnt expect from Ohio sports fans, I guess

Poet
10-28-2009, 12:01 PM
I guess it's a scenario where you have to be there. And let's all please refrain from the "I went to a game there once" crap. I'll never defend Philly fans when it comes to some things they say and do, but having been there...living in the city...there are alot of reasons the passion comes out the way it does.

Something i really wouldnt expect from Ohio sports fans, I guess

On their best day Philly fans couldn't hold Ohio our jocks. The reason they act like ignorant jackasses is because they are ignorant jackasses. Go take a look at OSU fans, Bengals fans, Cleveland fans, Cincinnati BearCat fans and then go look at the ******* tards from Philly. It's not even ******* close.

CoachChaz
10-28-2009, 02:50 PM
On their best day Philly fans couldn't hold Ohio our jocks. The reason they act like ignorant jackasses is because they are ignorant jackasses. Go take a look at OSU fans, Bengals fans, Cleveland fans, Cincinnati BearCat fans and then go look at the ******* tards from Philly. It's not even ******* close.

You're judging all Philly fans on one scenario where they cheered the injury of one of the biggest azzholes to ever play the game of football and talked trash about Philly fans every chance he got. That, my friend, is the definition of ignorance..

Philly fans may rag out their teams, but they have that passion for them regardless of their record. No matter how good or bad or how much they talk, they still fill the seats for Eagles, Flyers, Phillies and Sixers games. Go beyond that. Check out Villanova games...Temple, St' Joe's, St. Bonaventure, LaSalle. They arent even big schools and they have rabid fans.

Yeah, I know everyone in Cincinnati is a Bearcat fan right now...that makes sense. But if you are going to talk about ignorant fans...you may want to leave Ohio State out of this conversation.

Poet
10-28-2009, 03:02 PM
You're judging all Philly fans on one scenario where they cheered the injury of one of the biggest azzholes to ever play the game of football and talked trash about Philly fans every chance he got. That, my friend, is the definition of ignorance..

That's fine and dandy, but if you cheer a guy who just took that shot and isn't moving not only are you a ******* fool but you're also a terrible human being. They have a ******* courthouse under their stadium because of how many of their fans get into it with each other and opposing fans. I'm sorry, they've earned their reputation for acts like that, the ones with McNabb and that court house. Cincinnati has it's fair share of drunken tards like every last team but in Philly it appears that the majority of their fans are hotheaded drunken losers.

Philly fans may rag out their teams, but they have that passion for them regardless of their record. No matter how good or bad or how much they talk, they still fill the seats for Eagles, Flyers, Phillies and Sixers games. Go beyond that. Check out Villanova games...Temple, St' Joe's, St. Bonaventure, LaSalle. They arent even big schools and they have rabid fans.

They fill out their stadiums when their team is bad, but so do most Ohio Sports teams. In fact, Cincinnati generally gives good attendance and it took Mike Brown's 20 seasons of failure and the Reds blowing since 1990 for that to change. Passionate? Yes. Morons, doubly so.

Yeah, I know everyone in Cincinnati is a Bearcat fan right now...that makes sense. But if you are going to talk about ignorant fans...you may want to leave Ohio State out of this conversation.

OSu fans as dumb as they may be don't even come close to topping the retardedness that Philly spews. The only fans who are typically less intelligent than them are the inbred morons in Cleveland, but as far as passion goes no one can touch them at all.

Go Yankees.

CoachChaz
10-29-2009, 07:24 AM
I guess it's safe to say that the only people that think Ohio fans are impressive are...Ohio fans.

And the people that assume the worst in Philly fans have probably never been there more than once and get their info from the papers

Phillies - 1
Yankees - 0

Poet
10-29-2009, 01:43 PM
I guess it's safe to say that the only people that think Ohio fans are impressive are...Ohio fans.

And the people that assume the worst in Philly fans have probably never been there more than once and get their info from the papers

Phillies - 1
Yankees - 0

Papers, accounts from other people, internet, etc etc etc.

I may not have been alive during the World Wars, but I can still know a lot about them. And no, I don't think Ohio has the best fans ever. I would put the Browns up agianst any fans because they are rabid. I never questioned the passion of Philly fans, but it's more than just an unfair stereotype.

Sorry.

CoachChaz
10-30-2009, 09:34 AM
Papers, accounts from other people, internet, etc etc etc.

I may not have been alive during the World Wars, but I can still know a lot about them. And no, I don't think Ohio has the best fans ever. I would put the Browns up agianst any fans because they are rabid. I never questioned the passion of Philly fans, but it's more than just an unfair stereotype.

Sorry.

Agree to disagree

Respect

Poet
10-30-2009, 10:21 AM
Agree to disagree

Respect

I can go with that.

Medford Bronco
10-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Agree to disagree

Respect

Agree and respect for you coach:salute::salute::salute::salute::salute:

Medford Bronco
11-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Yanks are looking good. Cole Hammels giving up a hit to the pitcher to lose the lead
hurt big time.

Poet
11-01-2009, 11:25 AM
If CC comes back and wins his next game pitching then that's going to put him at the highest status an active pitcher can really have.

gnomeflinger
11-01-2009, 02:41 PM
I still can't stand A-Rod.

Medford Bronco
11-01-2009, 07:27 PM
I still can't stand A-Rod.

I like Arod because the crybaby Sox fans around here hate him.

I want the Yanks to win just to see the baby Sox fans pout.
I like the Sox but dont revel In NYs losses. I respect them. Sorry

Poet
11-01-2009, 07:42 PM
I like Arod because the crybaby Sox fans around here hate him.

I want the Yanks to win just to see the baby Sox fans pout.
I like the Sox but dont revel In NYs losses. I respect them. Sorry

I'd like to see him win a world series just so the media can drop the whole "star player somehow drops team from winning" crap. They made it sound like A-Rod has mental powers that can just crush his team.

Poet
11-01-2009, 11:59 PM
Series looks to be over although you can't totally count the Phillies out.

CoachChaz
11-02-2009, 08:30 AM
Charlie Manuel blew this series for Philly. Being down 2-1, he should have pitched Lee last night, then gone with Pedro tonight. Then Hamels in game 6 and if it goes to 7, he could have pitched Lee again.

He also should have pitched Eyre in the 9th. He'd have had the lefty matchup against Matsui, then Jeter, then another lefty matchup with Damon. if it went past that, he would have forced Texieria to bat righty.

Just not smart decisions by Manuel and he has his team in a hole.

Poet
11-02-2009, 10:52 AM
What bothers me about the Phillies is that Lidge is the ultimate wild card. I don't know the ins-and-outs of the pitching matchups like you do Chaz, but to me it seems like the Phillies are playing like they aren't in the World Series.

Could be just me.

CoachChaz
11-02-2009, 12:58 PM
What bothers me about the Phillies is that Lidge is the ultimate wild card. I don't know the ins-and-outs of the pitching matchups like you do Chaz, but to me it seems like the Phillies are playing like they aren't in the World Series.

Could be just me.

Manuel is being really conservative for some reason with his starters.

As far as Lidge goes...yeah, he's had a decent post-season so far, but why bring him in at that point when he has to face a bunch of lefties? Unless it's a definite save situation, it doesnt make sense to use him instead of Eyre or Durbin.

If the Phils lose this...it rests on Manuel.

Poet
11-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Manuel is being really conservative for some reason with his starters.

As far as Lidge goes...yeah, he's had a decent post-season so far, but why bring him in at that point when he has to face a bunch of lefties? Unless it's a definite save situation, it doesnt make sense to use him instead of Eyre or Durbin.

If the Phils lose this...it rests on Manuel.

The other thing that I wanted to know is did they have to pitch to A-Rod?

Medford Bronco
11-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Philly showed resliliency. Good for them.

Devilspawn
11-03-2009, 09:43 AM
It comes back to The Boogie Down. We have access to tickets but I heard the bidding starts at close to $1000 for 2 tickets. No thanks!

Nomad
11-05-2009, 07:23 AM
WOW! Alex Rodriguz was on a winning WS team, I guess hell froze over!!

Poet
11-05-2009, 07:38 AM
WOW! Alex Rodriguz was on a winning WS team, I guess hell froze over!!

Actually the Yankees just bought hell and turned it into an ice rink. ;)

Medford Bronco
11-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Congrats to DS and keithbishop.

Now the Sox fans around here can cry more :lol:

Poet
11-05-2009, 09:30 AM

That makes me laugh. I think it's great that Mark Texiera and C.C. got their rings. Both had been on some pretty good teams that just died in the playoffs and it's nice to see that their signings weren't of the Jason Giambi or Carl Pavano types; they worked!:lol::lol::lol:

CoachChaz
11-05-2009, 02:59 PM
All bought and paid for. The trophy is merely a receipt

Medford Bronco
11-05-2009, 03:19 PM

Agreed to a point but the Phillies are not the KC Royals that is for sure

Phils increase '09 payroll to $131.5M
World Series champions lock up key players through '11
By Todd Zolecki / MLB.com

In these uncertain economic times, the Phillies seem pretty certain they have spent their money on a winner.
The last piece fell into place Sunday when Ryan Howard agreed a three-year, $54 million contract. It locked up a core of talent that should be together the next three seasons. Assuming the Phillies eventually pick up Jimmy Rollins' 2011 club option, Rollins, Howard, Chase Utley, Brad Lidge, Cole Hamels, Ryan Madson and Raul Ibanez are signed through 2011.

Of course, it came at a price. In a year when most teams seem to be cutting payroll or simply trying to maintain it because of a depressed economy, the Phillies' payroll has jumped from around $104 million on Opening Day 2008 to an estimated $131.5 million on Opening Day '09.

"We're fortunate to be in this position," Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said. "If we can't put a World Series champion on the field at this level of payroll, that's my fault. We should be able to contend."

He is correct. Teams contend for much less. The Rays had a $43.8 million payroll last season, which ranked 29th in baseball. The Rockies had a $54.4 million payroll in 2007, when they reached the World Series. That ranked 25th in baseball. The Twins regularly contend in the American League Central with a small-market payroll. The Marlins spend little money, but always seem to be finding good young talent.

"You hope that the players perform to their contracts," Amaro said. "That's not always the case, so we are taking on risk here. But as far as our payroll is concerned, we depend on people coming to the ballpark. Just like any organization, we're going to have a finite level of revenues. As long as we have a quality product on the field, it equals people coming to the ballpark. That said, you don't know where the economy is going to take us. Frankly, we're hopeful that the economy straightens out so that it becomes less of a risk."

The Phillies' projected payroll is for a 25-man roster, plus three additional players: J.C. Romero, Adam Eaton and Jim Thome. Romero will open the season serving a 50-game suspension for violating the league's policy against performance-enhancing drugs. Eaton is not expected to make the team, but the Phils will be responsible for the majority of his salary should he be released and sign with another team. Thome is in the final year of the contract he originally signed with Philadelphia before the 2003 season. The club is paying $3 million of his $13 million salary.

Catchers Carlos Ruiz, Chris Coste, Ronny Paulino and left-hander Mike Zagurski are the only players on the 40-man roster unsigned. Ruiz and Coste or Paulino are expected to make the team, but two of them should cost no more than a combined $950,000. The projection also includes an estimated $3 million in signing bonuses for Ibanez and Lidge.

"It's a calculated risk based on what kind of talent we have on the club," Amaro said of the boosted payroll. "If you go up and down the lineup and through our rotation and bullpen, the people that we've targeted to longer-term deals, we feel like we have control over the next several years. I think we have the right mix of youth and veteran players. It's all about how the players perform. They're the ones who make us smart or dumb. We feel that we have a contending club for the foreseeable future."

Amaro said he didn't need to convince Phillies president David Montgomery to sign Howard, Hamels, Madson, Ibanez, Jamie Moyer, Jayson Werth and Greg Dobbs to multiyear contracts this offseason.

"Fortunately for us, I have a boss who I certainly have to get agreements from and have to discuss certain things form, but we're kind of on the same page," Amaro said. "It was the right thing to do."

Here is a look at that projected 2009 Opening Day payroll:

PITCHERS
Joe Blanton ($5.475 million)
Clay Condrey ($650,000)
Chad Durbin ($1.635 million)
Eaton ($8.5 million, plus a $500,000 buyout for 2010)
Scott Eyre ($2 million)
Hamels ($4.35 million)
J.A. Happ ($405,000)
Kyle Kendrick ($475,000)
Lidge ($11.5 million, plus an estimated $1 million signing bonus)
Madson ($3 million)
Moyer ($6.5 million)
Brett Myers ($12 million)
Chan Ho Park ($2.5 million)
Romero ($4 million, minus $1.25 million for 50-game suspension)

CATCHERS
Carlos Ruiz (unsigned)
Chris Coste or Ronny Paulino (unsigned)

INFIELDERS
Eric Bruntlett ($800,000)
Dobbs ($1.15 million)
Howard ($15 million)
Feliz ($5 million)
Rollins ($7.5 million, plus a $1 million signing bonus)
Utley ($11 million, plus a $250,000 signing bonus)

OUTFIELDERS
Ibanez ($6.5 million, plus a $2 million signing bonus)
Geoff Jenkins ($6.75 million, plus a $1.25 million buyout)
Matt Stairs ($1 million)
Shane Victorino ($3.125 million)
Jayson Werth ($3 million)

OTHER
Thome ($3 million)

Poet
11-05-2009, 03:23 PM

Oh give me a break. They've bought tons of players before and they didn't win every championship. Hell, were you pissed off at your Orioles when they went out and spent some dough a few years back?

CoachChaz
11-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Oh give me a break. They've bought tons of players before and they didn't win every championship. Hell, were you pissed off at your Orioles when they went out and spent some dough a few years back?

A few years back? it was like 12 years ago and they spent a ton of money on "has been" players and they did it for ONE reason...to try and remain competetive in the same division as the Sox and Yankees. What did they get for their effort? A 12 year old Yankee fan interferes with a ball and they lose a playoff series to NY anyway.

There is a difference between spending money and having a payroll so much higher than the next highest team that 3 other teams couldnt even fill the gap with their own payroll.

The Phils have a high payroll of their own at 131 mil? Fine...that's still 70 million less than NY. There are about 10 teams in baseball under 70 mil.

If everyone wants to turn a blind eye to the salary issue...so be it. Let the Yankees win one out of every four championships for another 100 years. While we're at it, remove the cap in football and basketball and let the Cowboys and Lakers do the same thing.

Kapaibro
11-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Congrats to the Yankees.

Devilspawn
11-05-2009, 04:28 PM
A few years back? it was like 12 years ago and they spent a ton of money on "has been" players and they did it for ONE reason...to try and remain competetive in the same division as the Sox and Yankees. What did they get for their effort? A 12 year old Yankee fan interferes with a ball and they lose a playoff series to NY anyway.

There is a difference between spending money and having a payroll so much higher than the next highest team that 3 other teams couldnt even fill the gap with their own payroll.

The Phils have a high payroll of their own at 131 mil? Fine...that's still 70 million less than NY. There are about 10 teams in baseball under 70 mil.

If everyone wants to turn a blind eye to the salary issue...so be it. Let the Yankees win one out of every four championships for another 100 years. While we're at it, remove the cap in football and basketball and let the Cowboys and Lakers do the same thing.
Hideki Irabu? They outbid the Sox. BUST

Carl Pavano? BUST

Kevin Brown? BUST

Prior, home grown talent (Jeter, Rivera, Williams, Posada, Rivera, Mendoza) mixed with free agents. The Mets and Sox do the same thing, but not as well as we do. They could outbid us if they wanted to, even if it breaks their bank. Tough, it's the lack of a cap's fault.

The Yankees did this type of spending in the 1980s and won absolutely nothing. Sure they won more games than any other team in that decade, but outside of a WS appearance, nothing. A lot of that was because of the Bronx Zoo atmosphere. Prior to Steinbrenner buying the team, they were owned by CBS, who didn't care and let them suck into oblivion. In came Steinbrenner who used the resources available to him and built a winner.

Baseball is a bid business. Even if I am a Yankee fan, I don't like it. I hate the money being thrown around since it can land you the players I mentioned. But if it also puts us back on top, so be it.

A-Rod was a bust and a choke artist, now all of a sudden he's expensive? Give me a break.

Baseball needs a salary cap, I agree 1000%. But until then, we can all root for the small guys like the Rays and Twins... who seem to be in it every year, but not teams like the Pirates, who trade their players to these contenders because of salary cap issues, but somehow can afford a new ballpark. The Yankees aren't the only ones to blame. In fact, they aren't to blame. It's the sport. And if the salary cap were truly unfair, then there wouldn't have been a 9 year drought.

CoachChaz
11-05-2009, 04:38 PM
I keep hearing Yankees fans talk about homegrown talent as if it's something they do regularly. After Jeter, Cano (only one in the last 10 years), Posada and Rivera...where are the above average regular contributors? ARod, Tex, CC, AJ, Damon, Matsui, Swisher, Marte..........

The Cowboys fan base doesnt suffer due to a salary cap...nirhter do the Lakers. So why is it that most defenders of the Yankees payroll always try to use the "Yankee image" as a reason for the need for that team to win? because they have the largest fanbase? I hope so...they are only in the most populated market.

Sure, they dont always win, but what happens to the teams that might be able to win if they had a Burnett or Sabathia added to their roster? Maybe Teixiera at first. The teams that are a player or two away from being competetive have to sit at home during the post-season because the players they might have had help them are all in NY. it hurts baseball whether the Yanks win or lose.

Medford Bronco
11-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Hideki Irabu? They outbid the Sox. BUST

Carl Pavano? BUST

Kevin Brown? BUST

Prior, home grown talent (Jeter, Rivera, Williams, Posada, Rivera, Mendoza) mixed with free agents. The Mets and Sox do the same thing, but not as well as we do. They could outbid us if they wanted to, even if it breaks their bank. Tough, it's the lack of a cap's fault.

The Yankees did this type of spending in the 1980s and won absolutely nothing. Sure they won more games than any other team in that decade, but outside of a WS appearance, nothing. A lot of that was because of the Bronx Zoo atmosphere. Prior to Steinbrenner buying the team, they were owned by CBS, who didn't care and let them suck into oblivion. In came Steinbrenner who used the resources available to him and built a winner.

Baseball is a bid business. Even if I am a Yankee fan, I don't like it. I hate the money being thrown around since it can land you the players I mentioned. But if it also puts us back on top, so be it.

A-Rod was a bust and a choke artist, now all of a sudden he's expensive? Give me a break.

Baseball needs a salary cap, I agree 1000%. But until then, we can all root for the small guys like the Rays and Twins... who seem to be in it every year, but not teams like the Pirates, who trade their players to these contenders because of salary cap issues, but somehow can afford a new ballpark. The Yankees aren't the only ones to blame. In fact, they aren't to blame. It's the sport. And if the salary cap were truly unfair, then there wouldn't have been a 9 year drought.

LOL hikeki irabu. What a bum he was:lol:

and dont forget that other stiff from Japan Igawa :lol:

seriously congrats to a great guy:beer::beer::beer:
and the Sox fans can cry all day today :lol:

Poet
11-05-2009, 04:47 PM

Uh...what about that offseason where they got Miguel Tejada and several other guys who were a big chunk of change. The Blue Jays did the same thing. The Cubs did the same thing. The Mets did the same thing. The Red Sox did the same thing.

"Buying" teams doesn't usually work and the Yankees turned to shit when they just started picking up every sexy bat at the end of the year.

**** it, turn off the NFL salary cap. Cincinnati is one of the richer teams in the league in regards to money made. Suprising, I know.

Medford Bronco
11-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Uh...what about that offseason where they got Miguel Tejada and several other guys who were a big chunk of change. The Blue Jays did the same thing. The Cubs did the same thing. The Mets did the same thing. The Red Sox did the same thing.

"Buying" teams doesn't usually work and the Yankees turned to shit when they just started picking up every sexy bat at the end of the year.

**** it, turn off the NFL salary cap. Cincinnati is one of the richer teams in the league in regards to money made. Suprising, I know.

Just ask the Rangers of the NHL about buying teams. It never worked.

Poet
11-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Just ask the Rangers of the NHL about buying teams. It never worked.

Daniel Snyder has only been able to muster a pretty good defense with his shenanigans.

Nomad
11-05-2009, 05:24 PM

Don't forget about OB420, IIRC she's a big Yankee fan!

Medford Bronco
11-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Don't forget about OB420, IIRC she's a big Yankee fan!

she is a real fan. I did forget. I have not seen her in awile.

Good for her. Now she can go give her buddy Jeter a kiss :cool::beer:

Medford Bronco
11-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Actually the Yankees just bought hell and turned it into an ice rink. ;)

lol I thought the outside game for the NHL game this year is the dirty Flyers vs the Bruins at Fenway.

Italianmobstr7
11-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Yankees!

CoachChaz
11-06-2009, 07:43 AM

Signing Tejada and Javy Lopez is nowhere near as significant as signing Tex, CC, AJ and Swisher...in one off-season and adding them to A-Rod's salary. Either way, the only reason Angelos did it was to attempt to compete with the Yankees...which no one can do. We even had an inside track on the hometown Teixiera until Stein brenner's greedy ass came in last minute and offered $20 million more

...and regardless of how much money the Bengals have...good luck competing with Jerry Jones for the best players.

Poet
11-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Jerry Jones spending his money wouldn't phase anyone. All he would do is sign the biggest names possible. For every good big time free agent signing like Bart Scott you get an Adam Archlueta or a LaVar Arrington. In fact the Jets two years ago made a big splash in acquisitions and it was pretty successful (in regards to how those FA's performed) and they missed the playoffs the same year the Patriots lost Brady.

Do I want the NFL to lose a salary cap? No. Because if there wasn't a salary cap some owners who aren't morons could go insane. The guy who owns the Seahawks is one of the twenty richest men in the world and the Hawks are a pretty decent organization.

I also don't buy into the "whenever the Yankees are winning it's good for baseball spiel". I figured I would toss that out there, but as someone pointed out earlier the Phillies aren't exactly hurting on expensive players either.

CoachChaz
11-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Jerry Jones spending his money wouldn't phase anyone. All he would do is sign the biggest names possible. For every good big time free agent signing like Bart Scott you get an Adam Archlueta or a LaVar Arrington. In fact the Jets two years ago made a big splash in acquisitions and it was pretty successful (in regards to how those FA's performed) and they missed the playoffs the same year the Patriots lost Brady.

Do I want the NFL to lose a salary cap? No. Because if there wasn't a salary cap some owners who aren't morons could go insane. The guy who owns the Seahawks is one of the twenty richest men in the world and the Hawks are a pretty decent organization.

I also don't buy into the "whenever the Yankees are winning it's good for baseball spiel". I figured I would toss that out there, but as someone pointed out earlier the Phillies aren't exactly hurting on expensive players either.

I wont argue that. but how many of the 20 highest paid players play for Philly? ONE...Ryan Howard, whose $15 mil per year tie for for 20th.

1, Alex Rodriguez, NYY $33,000,000
2, Manny Ramirez, LAD 23,854,494
3, Derek Jeter, NYY 21,600,000
4, Mark Teixeira, NYY 20,625,000
5, Carlos Beltran, NYM 19,243,683
6, Carlos Lee, Hou 19,000,000
7, Magglio Ordonez, Det 18,971,596
8, Johan Santana, NYM 18,876,139
9, Carlos Zambrano, Cubs 18,750,000
10, Barry Zito, SF 18,500,000
11, Torii Hunter, LAA 18,000,000
(tie) Ichiro Suzuki, Sea 18,000,000
13, Alfonso Soriano, Cubs 17,000,000
14, Aramis Ramirez, Cubs 16,900,000
15, Todd Helton, Col 16,600,000
16, A.J. Burnett, NYY 16,500,000
17, Tim Hudson, Atl 15,500,000
18, CC Sabathia, NYY 15,285,714
19, Jason Schmidt, LAD 15,217,401
20, Vladimir Guerrero, LAA 15,000,000
(tie) Ryan Howard, Phi 15,000,000
(tie) Derek Lowe, Atl 15,000,000
(tie) Mariano Rivera, NYY 15,000,000

Devilspawn
11-06-2009, 12:43 PM
I wont argue that. but how many of the 20 highest paid players play for Philly? ONE...Ryan Howard, whose $15 mil per year tie for for 20th.

1, Alex Rodriguez, NYY $33,000,000
2, Manny Ramirez, LAD 23,854,494
3, Derek Jeter, NYY 21,600,000
4, Mark Teixeira, NYY 20,625,000
5, Carlos Beltran, NYM 19,243,683
6, Carlos Lee, Hou 19,000,000
7, Magglio Ordonez, Det 18,971,596
8, Johan Santana, NYM 18,876,139
9, Carlos Zambrano, Cubs 18,750,000
10, Barry Zito, SF 18,500,000
11, Torii Hunter, LAA 18,000,000
(tie) Ichiro Suzuki, Sea 18,000,000
13, Alfonso Soriano, Cubs 17,000,000
14, Aramis Ramirez, Cubs 16,900,000
15, Todd Helton, Col 16,600,000
16, A.J. Burnett, NYY 16,500,000
17, Tim Hudson, Atl 15,500,000
18, CC Sabathia, NYY 15,285,714
19, Jason Schmidt, LAD 15,217,401
20, Vladimir Guerrero, LAA 15,000,000
(tie) Ryan Howard, Phi 15,000,000
(tie) Derek Lowe, Atl 15,000,000
(tie) Mariano Rivera, NYY 15,000,000
My question is why is this an issue when the Phillies not only won last year, but had a chance to repeat. This would not have come up if they won because it certainly didn't come up last year, and it didn't come up when the Yankees had the highest payroll last year, when they missed the playoffs.

Poet
11-06-2009, 12:46 PM
DS, I'm not going to try to discredit a lot of what Coach has said, but the answer is that people hate your team.

For example, when Cincinnati was in the playoffs it didn't matter that we had a bunch of thugs. ;)

CoachChaz
11-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Even if the Yankees lose 100 games next season, I will still complain about their payroll. The bottom line is that throughout history, they account for 3-5% of the teams in MLB and win 25% of the Championships. You seriously going to tell me that has everything to do with the caliber of the organization and the quality of the coaching?

And as far as the frequency of the Yankees payroll coming up...have the conversation with baseball fans that are NOT Yankees fans. They seem to be the only ones that can defend the ludicrous payroll. I imagine the only other sympathizers they'd have would be those that despise Philly fans

CoachChaz
11-06-2009, 01:00 PM
DS, I'm not going to try to discredit a lot of what Coach has said, but the answer is that people hate your team.

For example, when Cincinnati was in the playoffs it didn't matter that we had a bunch of thugs. ;)

Football AND baseball

Poet
11-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Even if the Yankees lose 100 games next season, I will still complain about their payroll. The bottom line is that throughout history, they account for 3-5% of the teams in MLB and win 25% of the Championships. You seriously going to tell me that has everything to do with the caliber of the organization and the quality of the coaching?

And as far as the frequency of the Yankees payroll coming up...have the conversation with baseball fans that are NOT Yankees fans. They seem to be the only ones that can defend the ludicrous payroll. I imagine the only other sympathizers they'd have would be those that despise Philly fans

They won a lot of the WS through the dynastys though. I mean Cincinnati had a mini dynasty back in the 70's. I think you can only really start hating them for the payroll from the late 90's till now.

CoachChaz
11-06-2009, 04:49 PM
They won a lot of the WS through the dynastys though. I mean Cincinnati had a mini dynasty back in the 70's. I think you can only really start hating them for the payroll from the late 90's till now.

No...it started in the 70's. Remember Reggie Jackson?

Prior to that, I'd say it had alot to do with location. People wanted to live in NY in the 20's - 60's

Nomad
11-06-2009, 06:07 PM
No...it started in the 70's. Remember Reggie Jackson?

Prior to that, I'd say it had alot to do with location. People wanted to live in NY in the 20's - 60's

I actually like this song!!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1z47h_frank-sinatra-new-york-new-york_music

I remember as a little kid back in the late 70s/ early 80s, my family would watch Ron Guidry because he was my Uncle Valerie's nephew (who was my Grandpa's 1st cousin) I know it sounds funny:lol: but true!!

Medford Bronco
11-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Where did everyone go?

Why not acknowledge Meds correct prediction in 6 for the Yanks :salute:

and if you dont like the no cap in baseball, dont watch. no one is putting a gun to you head to do so.

Hey I am not a Yanks fan but the team that get their revenue sharing like Minny and KC and put it back in the owners pocket is inexcusable. put it back in your team and not make a cool $40 to $50 mill for nothing.

OrangeHoof
11-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Well, I've given this a lot of thought and I've decided the Yankees are my pick to win this year's World Series... :-P

MOtorboat
11-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Well, I've given this a lot of thought and I've decided the Yankees are my pick to win this year's World Series... :-P

In 6.

Pettite gets it done.

gnomeflinger
11-09-2009, 07:42 PM
I still loathe A-Rod.