PDA

View Full Version : No hard knocks for Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
10-24-2009, 01:00 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13630883

Injuries haven't hurt much during 6-0 start

From behind a wooden-faced lectern, Josh McDaniels sneaked in a soft knock. It couldn't be heard by those at the rear of the auditorium during a news conference.

Off to a 6-0 start as Broncos coach, McDaniels had just been asked about his 53-man roster. For all the changes the Broncos made during the offseason, training camp and even late into the preseason, there have been zero roster moves since the week before the regular season began. That is unusual in the NFL.

Asked why, McDaniels cited bringing in the proper players in the offseason, as well as an outstanding conditioning program, as it relates to preventing injuries.

And then there is good ol' football luck, knock on wood.

"Some teams get hit with unfortunate injuries and some teams happen not to," McDaniels said this week. "I'm sure we'll end up with our share of injuries. We've had guys miss times, but we've been fortunate that nobody has had an injury that's going to cause him to miss the rest of the year."

McDaniels cleared his throat. The next question was being asked. And that's when he subtly knocked so only the recorders on the lectern could pick it up.

The threat of injuries is prevalent in the NFL. Injuries are one reason why superior teams can never get overconfident. They could be one play away from losing a key player, and injuries can be the great equalizer in lending hope to lesser teams.

The Broncos reached their only idle weekend of the regular season healthy and in complete command of the AFC West.

"I don't think you're ever in complete control until you clinch the division, or a playoff spot," quarterback Kyle Orton said. "We've got a long way to go. We've got to win a lot of games in November and beyond. It's a great start, but a long way to go."

A long memory is not required to understand the perils of overconfidence. Just last season, the Broncos blew a three-game lead in the AFC West with three games to go.

But no one, not even the San Diego Chargers, believe the Broncos will have such a monumental collapse this year. Those Broncos ranked 30th in scoring defense. These Broncos rank No. 1.

"That team is a different Denver team in the sense that they aren't going to fall apart," Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers said. "That's a team that's here to stay."

Around the Broncos, everything seems possible. If 6-0 is possible after the wise guys of Las Vegas placed Denver's over-under season-win total at 6 1/2, then why not a first-round playoff bye, a berth in the AFC championship game, even a trip to the Super Bowl?

"We have a lot of little things we have to do better," McDaniels said. "And some big things."

During the bye week and subsequent preparation for the game Nov. 1 at Baltimore, the Broncos will work on getting off to better starts. They have trailed at halftime in three consecutive games.

"It's kind of like we're feeling our way in the beginning of the game," cornerback Andre Goodman said. "But the one thing about our defense is that when it feels challenged, that's when it steps up."

On offense, the problem has been those brawn-and-bruising running plays.

"Third-and-1 has been kind of our nemesis to this point," McDaniels said.

And special teams were inconsistent the past two weeks. So there is work to do.

"Do you want to play your best in September or October?" McDaniels said. "You want to be playing well, but you want to get better so that in December you're playing really good football."

DenBronx
10-24-2009, 02:41 PM
I thought it was going to say we're not going to be on HBO Hard Knocks. I'd like to see us get a chance to do the show.

TXBRONC
10-24-2009, 06:31 PM
If Denver can that offense cranked up and fix the problem on short yardage situations that could bode very well for them should make the playoffs and also if they can remain healthy like they have been so far the season.

SR
10-24-2009, 06:54 PM
Maybe if Peyton Hillis had a chance to run the goddamn ball third and one would be our "nemesis".

SoCoPoCo
10-24-2009, 07:12 PM
Yeesh! Why do I get that same feeling now that I do when announcers say that a kicker hasn't missed all year right before he sails one wide or that a basketball player hasn't missed a free throw all night and then he bricks one...

rcsodak
10-25-2009, 10:14 PM
Maybe if Peyton Hillis had a chance to run the goddamn ball third and one would be our "nemesis".

He has....or should I say, he has FAILED!

I remember seeing him run into the backs of his linemen....

...and fumbling.

Hillis better get his shit straight or he's gonna be relegated to strictly lead blocking....

...and that would be a shame.

rcsodak
10-25-2009, 10:15 PM
Yeesh! Why do I get that same feeling now that I do when announcers say that a kicker hasn't missed all year right before he sails one wide or that a basketball player hasn't missed a free throw all night and then he bricks one...

Don't worry, dude....he knocked on wood, remember?
;)

red98
10-25-2009, 10:18 PM

We got us a defense to dispell those worries now.