PDA

View Full Version : After a 6-0 start, will 'only' winning the division be a dissapointment?

Tned
10-24-2009, 05:48 AM
Ok, not too many people thought we would be 6-0 at the bye week, and we have a bear of a schedule still ahead: at Bal, Pit, NYG, at Phi and SD.

So, considering the massive roster and coaching turnover and the vicious schedule, is winning the division enough? Will everyone be happy with a division title, and then one and gone in the playoffs?

Or, now that we are 6-0 at the bye, will anything short of a deep playoff run be a disappointing year?

MasterShake
10-24-2009, 07:07 AM
The way this team is playing, we should secure a home playoff game at least in the wildcard round. I would like to at least win that one. Anything after that is frosting on the cake.

BUT, if we end up beating NY and Indy in the regular season I see no reason why we aren't frontrunners for a 1st or 2nd seed and a great shot at the Super Bowl.

The fact that we are even talking about this at week 7 is still kind of surreal after the offseason we had. Really cool though!

No matter what, I'm really proud to be a Broncos fan right now!:salute:

MileHighCrew
10-24-2009, 07:53 AM
Right now I am happy, I am just basking in the moment

Nomad
10-24-2009, 08:02 AM
I didn't expect the BRONCOS to be in the position they're in. Winning the division is first priority, choking away the division would be devastating. Let's see how this team finishes down the stretch before we talk playoffs and SB, though every team's ultimate goal is to win the SB!!

Shutdown
10-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Honestly, I think at this point, it would be depressing to go one and done. With the way we are playing and the things this team has accomplished thus far it put all new pressure to keep it going. If we keep playing the way we are I don't feel there is any team that we can't hang with and ultimately beat.

As long as we stay healthy and don't lose any key players I see us having an amazing year and a deep play off run with a shot at the show.

:salute::defense:

Dirk
10-24-2009, 08:49 AM
I'm happy where we are. I was shooting for a .500 season at best. So anything after that is fantastic!

If we go 1 and out in the playoffs it's more than I expected and I will be happy. I figured this season was a rebuilding season and we wouldn't be a threat so anything more than .500 exceeds my expectations!

Northman
10-24-2009, 08:51 AM
Winning the division would be enough for me as it shows we are moving in the right direction. Anything beyond that is a bonus right now considering how the offseason went. But, a collapse of any kind would be a step back again.

red98
10-24-2009, 09:00 AM
After 3 yrs of .500 ball, I think winning the division to make the playoffs
would be a success.

Having come that far though, I'd be disappointed with one and done.

UnderArmour
10-24-2009, 09:23 AM
I'm not going to be happy if the season ends with a loss. Every year with Shanahan here the goal was to win the Super Bowl. I'd assume Josh McDaniels has the same philosophy.

camdisco24
10-24-2009, 09:31 AM
Im thirlled with the way this season has gone so far. I dont expect a collapse from this team and I really dont think SD or any other team will catch us in the division. That being said, at this point, I expect to win the division. After that, I think we can win a game (or more) in the playoffs. Our schedule is a love/hate kind of thing to me. Obviously I hate the difficulty, but I LOVE that we will be battle tested come playoff time. Of course I hope we can make a run at the Super Bowl, but considering everything that happened this off season, a division win and playoff win(s) would be amazing!

Day1BroncoFan
10-24-2009, 09:35 AM
I am hapy with where we're at. The team has played better than I had imagined they could at this point. If they win the division and lose the first game I would be disappointed but that would be far more than I expected them to do. That being said, the way they are playing right now if they can keep it up I see a run coming.

Lonestar
10-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Considering all of the changes this year.

When I looked at the schedule I didn't think we would win more than 7 games IF we were LUCKY and 2 teams were trapped by us.

Any wins more than 7 are enough to make me happy.

I expected to be 2-4 at the bye and only winning 3 more the rest of the season. Thought next year would be our run at the division.

Sent via Blackberry by altell.

underrated29
10-24-2009, 09:54 AM
I think we will make the playoffs. After the Dal game i predicted we would go afcwcg. These next 4-5 games will tell us all we need to know.

IMO the next games are against the top teams in the league. balt,pits,indy,giants.

If we can beat those teams then i see a SB run full fledged. If we lose to those teams then probably a 1 and done.

If we split with those teams- most likely scenario (balt,nyg win-lose pit and indy) then i see afcwcg.

At the level we are playing, and if the offense comes around like i think it will. We atleast win 1 Playoff game.

dogfish
10-24-2009, 11:27 AM
jim mora called-- he wants to know if you're talkin' about playoffs. . . .

BroncoWave
10-24-2009, 11:40 AM
I'm not going to be happy if the season ends with a loss. Every year with Shanahan here the goal was to win the Super Bowl. I'd assume Josh McDaniels has the same philosophy.

I'm the same way. We are good enough to win the Super Bowl this year and I will definitely be a little disappointed if we don't.

spikerman
10-24-2009, 11:49 AM
I voted "no", but I don't like the wording "that's all they needed to do". That makes it sound like we (the fans) shouldn't care about the playoffs. As a fan, I can guarantee that I will be very disappointed if they are one and done in the playoffs; but looking at it now and after I've had time to cool off in the offseason I know that I'll look back on the season as a major success if they win the division.

I'll stand up and admit it now (you guys could find records of it anyway), but they've already exceeded my expectations. I really didn't see this team winning more than 5 games, but that doesn't mean I won't be extremely disappointed if they don't win another one.

shank
10-24-2009, 12:07 PM
i don't know about you guys, but every year, my ultimate goal is superbowl. how realistic that goal is from year to year changes, but the goal itself doesn't ever change. i'm very disappointed every single time we fall short of that.

i think we have shown that we can play with any team. we are 'rebuilt' and back to the bronco way already, where the super bowl needs to be the organization and the fan's goal.

i'm not getting too far ahead. right now, i'm just worried about conquering this bye-week. the fan's ultimate test.

Shazam!
10-24-2009, 01:23 PM
A 1 and done in the playoffs would be a massive disappointment for us, but after an offseason where nobody predicted they'd do anything, a division winner and a playoff team in McDaniels' first year would make it be a great season. I can see them winning a playoff game. They play defense and that is invaluable in the playoffs.

Tned
10-24-2009, 03:20 PM

p3-eavMSBnk

Tned
10-24-2009, 03:29 PM
i don't know about you guys, but every year, my ultimate goal is superbowl. how realistic that goal is from year to year changes, but the goal itself doesn't ever change. i'm very disappointed every single time we fall short of that.

i think we have shown that we can play with any team. we are 'rebuilt' and back to the bronco way already, where the super bowl needs to be the organization and the fan's goal.

i'm not getting too far ahead. right now, i'm just worried about conquering this bye-week. the fan's ultimate test.

I think the "our goal is to win the SB" sounds good, but isn't realistic. How many teams have won the SB in the last 20 years? 14 or so? How many have been to the SB? 20 or so? How about the last 10 years?

While every teams 'ultimate goal' may be to win the SB, 31 teams fall short, so it may be a goal, but it isn't a realistic one.

For me, it is winnng seasons. I cherish every Bronco win and get sick over every loss. So, any season we have more wins than losses, is a good season for me.

When it comes to the playoffs, I subscribe to the theory, "if you get in, anyting can happen." Therefore, every season I hope for a winning season, which hopefully is good enough to get into the playoffs and then anything can happen.

I voted "no", but I don't like the wording "that's all they needed to do". That makes it sound like we (the fans) shouldn't care about the playoffs. As a fan, I can guarantee that I will be very disappointed if they are one and done in the playoffs; but looking at it now and after I've had time to cool off in the offseason I know that I'll look back on the season as a major success if they win the division.

I'll stand up and admit it now (you guys could find records of it anyway), but they've already exceeded my expectations. I really didn't see this team winning more than 5 games, but that doesn't mean I won't be extremely disappointed if they don't win another one.

I saw us winning 7-9 games, and having a good shot at winning the west with something close to a .500 record, but not in my wildest dreams did I see us 6-0 at the bye, having just beat Dal, NE and SD.

broncophan
10-24-2009, 03:42 PM
No way would I be disappointed with a one and done in the playoffs.

now........if you want to talk disappointment.......last years team caving in the last 4 games .......that is disappointment.

Just enjoying this season.....and hope they can keep on rollin'.......

GO BRONCOS!!!

honz
10-24-2009, 03:52 PM

A lot of you have probably seen this, but...

exOxUAntx8I

honz
10-24-2009, 03:54 PM
I'll worry about the playoffs when we actually win the division and clinch a playoff spot. Right now, I'm just enjoying the ride. With raised expectations comes greater chance for disappointment...and when I'm not fully in control of the results I like to keep my expectations in check.

LoyalSoldier
10-24-2009, 04:02 PM
I have to see how this team performs in the playoffs. The fact is we have a lot of players on this team that have never played in a playoff game their whole careers. Orton, Clady, Dumervile, Marshall, Royal, or basically almost all of our important players.

We could end up being a great playoff team or we could end up choking our first game away. The playoffs are a whole different beast so we won't know how we will handle it until we actually get there.

Tned
10-24-2009, 04:08 PM
No way would I be disappointed with a one and done in the playoffs.

now........if you want to talk disappointment.......last years team caving in the last 4 games .......that is disappointment.

Just enjoying this season.....and hope they can keep on rollin'.......

GO BRONCOS!!!

FWIW, they caved in the last 3 games. They won their 13th game.

Nomad
10-24-2009, 04:34 PM
I am hapy with where we're at. The team has played better than I had imagined they could at this point. If they win the division and lose the first game I would be disappointed but that would be far more than I expected them to do. That being said, the way they are playing right now if they can keep it up I see a run coming.

Ditto! I'm like you enjoying the moment. I'm more concerned at the moment of the BRONCOS keeping the momentum and playing at the level they are down the stretch. I'll talk playoffs after Dec until then take it game to game. Improvement is what we fans wanted and it seems that's what we got. Now , if the BRONCOS are playing at a level they are now at the end of the season, then not winning a playoff game would be hard to swallow!!

T.K.O.
10-24-2009, 05:35 PM
i think taking the division back from the bolts will be enough to say it was a successful season.
that being said we would have a home playoff game(i believe) and winning at least that would show the guys that all there effort was not in vein.
a superbowl birth and or win would be amazing and surprise even the biggest homer (me:D ).
a playoff win would be fantastic and really make the folks in chicago think twice about how good a deal they really got giving us a solid qb and 2 first round picks;)

TXBRONC
10-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Considering everything that has happened since the spring and the general consensus that Denver was suppose to be a bottom feeder it a disappointment if Denver only wins the division. If they win the division that's gravy.

BroncoWave
10-24-2009, 07:00 PM
Considering everything that has happened since the spring and the general consensus that Denver was suppose to be a bottom feeder it a disappointment if Denver only wins the division. If they win the division that's gravy.

Not for me, because before the season I picked us to go 11-5, win the division, and win a playoff game, so anything less than that would definitely be a disappointment to me. Just because the media said we were going to suck doesn't mean that I will be happy if we surpass that super low bar.

slim
10-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Of course it would be enough.

The haters will still hate, though.

SoCoPoCo
10-24-2009, 07:31 PM
When the schedule came out I wiped away my Kool-Aid mustache long enough to predict a 10-6 season and I didn't meet a single 'fan' who didn't laugh when I told them that - and these are also lifelong Broncos fans. In August I would have loved to win the division, especially in light of all the off-season trials. However, with the drastically improved play on the field I have adjusted my vision accordingly. I am now looking at anything less than an appearance in the AFC Championship Game as coming up short. When the dust settles at the end of the year, whether my prediction is right or not, I will feel good going into the offseason knowing that Coach McDaniels and Mike Nolan put together a hard-working, fundamentally-sound, passionate team whose best days are ahead of them; not behind.

Tned
10-24-2009, 07:38 PM
When the schedule came out I wiped away my Kool-Aid mustache long enough to predict a 10-6 season and I didn't meet a single 'fan' who didn't laugh when I told them that - and these are also lifelong Broncos fans. In August I would have loved to win the division, especially in light of all the off-season trials. However, with the drastically improved play on the field I have adjusted my vision accordingly. I am now looking at anything less than an appearance in the AFC Championship Game as coming up short. When the dust settles at the end of the year, whether my prediction is right or not, I will feel good going into the offseason knowing that Coach McDaniels and Mike Nolan put together a hard-working, fundamentally-sound, passionate team whose best days are ahead of them; not behind.

I just hope Nolan isn't one and done and on to another head coaching job next season.

TXBRONC
10-24-2009, 07:45 PM
I just hope Nolan isn't one and done and on to another head coaching job next season.

I would like that as well, but as good as his defense has been I think that will push to the front of the class as head coaching candidate.

claymore
10-24-2009, 07:50 PM
I thought from the beginning that 9-7 was what we should shoot for. Anything more than that is a plus IMO.......

BroncoWave
10-24-2009, 07:57 PM
I thought from the beginning that 9-7 was what we should shoot for. Anything more than that is a plus IMO.......

I can't imagine you would still be happy with 9-7 though. That would be an utter disaster.

TXBRONC
10-24-2009, 07:59 PM

Denver should easily surpass 9-7 so do you think you will recalibrate your expectations?

BCJ
10-25-2009, 01:30 AM
This team needs to win their first playoff game, bar none. THere is no reason for this team to not only have home field advantage but a possible 1st round bye. We have seen enough to at least say that this team is top 4 in the AFC. That equates to at least one win in the playoffs (or at least get the bye).

BroncoBJ
10-25-2009, 02:15 AM
I think that after our 6-0 start now, Anything less then a 1st round bye would be a disappointment. I don't know about winning a playoff game or going to the Superbowl but I'm hoping/thinking about a 1st round bye and we'll take it from there.

When you look at the AFC, you have the Colts at the top.

Then you have Cincy in the North.
Pats in the East.

We beat both those teams. Then you have the Ravens and Steelers who are at the top of the North as well. And IF we beat them both in the next 2 weeks, I really don't see us being any worse then a 2 seed. We'll have to have a pretty big collapse.

I don't know about the #1 seed. Beating Indy in their place will be tough. But we'll see.

I just want a 1st round bye right now. I hope that this weekend isn't our only bye week of the year. :salute:

Nomad
10-25-2009, 09:09 AM
High expectations for a team we haven't seen down the stretch and only after 6 games! I hope for now the BRONCOS keep their streak of winning after the bye week!

Zweems56
10-25-2009, 09:28 AM
What I did was, I said we would go 9-7. And for every game we won, I would add 1 win and subtract 1 loss. So right now i'm figuring..... 15-1.

xzn
10-25-2009, 10:26 AM
I will go ahead and say that the goals of the team right now should be:

1. Clinch a playoff spot

2. Win the division

3. Secure home field advantage in Divisional Round

4. Secure HFA for AFCCG

5. Go to and win the SB

The fourth goal will, admittedly, be a real challenge but on paper is attainable. First we need to keep winning at least as often as the Colts do and, of course, we need to defeat them head-to-head.

The fifth goal is clearly the hardest. I think the Vikings are a team of destiny this year. But I also think that destiny can be changed by human decisions and actions.

If we are not competing for the title of World Champions we may as well stop practicing.

If we do not meet all these goals will I be dissapointed? Of course, a little... but we've already surpassed my minimal expectations and I am proud of this team. Teams just don't start 6-0 that often and we need to capitalize on this fortuitous begining and ride the horse as far as it will take us.

Let's go Broncos!!! Roll on O 0 o . . .

Chica_Ang
10-25-2009, 12:07 PM
The fact remains that we are all pleasantly surprised by our current 6-0, right? It feels like a gift from the football angels since we got off to a very shaky start this season.

No one can tell me they haven't been sitting on the edge of their recliners, biting their nails, and maybe drinking more beer than usual. (ha) We love the thrill of this game, we love the thrill of watching our team; how will they do today?

I voted that I would be disappointed if they clinch the division, but lost a playoff game...come on...doesn't mean I'll go into a deep depression, though. It would just be AWESOME! :cool:

JDL
10-26-2009, 01:44 AM
It seems like some people are ready to assume we are going to win the division and that was my first inclination before looking at the schedule.

San Diego's remaining schedule

Oakland (Bad Team)
@NY Giants
Philadelphia
@Denver
Kansas City (Bad Team)
@Cleveland (Bad Team)
@Dallas
Cincinnati
@Tennessee (Bad Team)
Washington (Bad Team)

What is interesting is that with their steam roll of KC today in Arrowhead they have taken care of both Oakland and KC on the road. 3 of their remaining tough games are NFC teams.

Denver's remaining schedule

@Baltimore
Pittsburgh
@Washington (Bad Team)
San Diego
New York Giants
@Kansas City (Bad Team)
@Indianapolis
Oakland (Bad Team)
@Philadelphia
Kansas City (Bad Team)

Even our games against bad teams are tough, going to the east coast and beating even a bad Washington won't be easy, let alone next week going to the east coast for another game. Then KC that late in the year is always hard no matter how good they are, look at our record in KC in Nov./Dec. over the years... not pretty. We finish with 2 easy games wrapped around another really tough Eastern time zone game.

I would say it would not be shocking at all, if we were 7-2 facing a 5-4 San Diego team. Why is that important? Well, our schedule after that game is much much tougher. If they win, we will have JUST a game lead, and we will be FORCED, in all likelihood, to beat Oak and KC(x2) to win the division. Why? Well, if they made up that 1 game difference over the stretch... well, we'd end up with a 4-2 division record to their probable 5-1 record. That game in Denver could shape up to be of monumental importance.

All I am saying is eyes on the prize... finishing the year strong and winning the division is what matters most... we have one division title since winning our last super bowl. That as much as anything got Shanahan run out of town and winning one in his first year, even if we disappointingly finished 4-6 to do it, because it won't take long for people to forget how they got there, only that they got there. I do think the Super Bowl is unrealistic this year, but I absolutely expect that next year. It is important to have some patience, but it is a win-now league and teams turnaround quickly.

My updated expectations: Division title and home playoff win with a record of at least 11-5.

Canmore
10-26-2009, 02:47 AM
San Diego's schedule is soft when compared to ours. We are only 6 games into this season and I'm ecstatic that we are 6-0, but there is a lot of football left to be played. One game at a time. Next up the Ravens. The division race isn't over yet.

TXBRONC
10-26-2009, 08:01 AM
It seems like some people are ready to assume we are going to win the division and that was my first inclination before looking at the schedule.

San Diego's remaining schedule

Oakland (Bad Team)
@NY Giants
Philadelphia
@Denver
Kansas City (Bad Team)
@Cleveland (Bad Team)
@Dallas
Cincinnati
@Tennessee (Bad Team)
Washington (Bad Team)

What is interesting is that with their steam roll of KC today in Arrowhead they have taken care of both Oakland and KC on the road. 3 of their remaining tough games are NFC teams.

Denver's remaining schedule

@Baltimore
Pittsburgh
@Washington (Bad Team)
San Diego
New York Giants
@Kansas City (Bad Team)
@Indianapolis
Oakland (Bad Team)
@Philadelphia
Kansas City (Bad Team)

Even our games against bad teams are tough, going to the east coast and beating even a bad Washington won't be easy, let alone next week going to the east coast for another game. Then KC that late in the year is always hard no matter how good they are, look at our record in KC in Nov./Dec. over the years... not pretty. We finish with 2 easy games wrapped around another really tough Eastern time zone game.

I would say it would not be shocking at all, if we were 7-2 facing a 5-4 San Diego team. Why is that important? Well, our schedule after that game is much much tougher. If they win, we will have JUST a game lead, and we will be FORCED, in all likelihood, to beat Oak and KC(x2) to win the division. Why? Well, if they made up that 1 game difference over the stretch... well, we'd end up with a 4-2 division record to their probable 5-1 record. That game in Denver could shape up to be of monumental importance.

All I am saying is eyes on the prize... finishing the year strong and winning the division is what matters most... we have one division title since winning our last super bowl. That as much as anything got Shanahan run out of town and winning one in his first year, even if we disappointingly finished 4-6 to do it, because it won't take long for people to forget how they got there, only that they got there. I do think the Super Bowl is unrealistic this year, but I absolutely expect that next year. It is important to have some patience, but it is a win-now league and teams turnaround quickly.

My updated expectations: Division title and home playoff win with a record of at least 11-5.

Looking San Diego's schedule before we meet them the could be 5-4 before but that means they have beat Oakland and then beat either the Giants or the Eagles and that wont be an easy task. In my opinion they could just as easily be 4-5 coming into the game against the Broncos.

Tned
10-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Another way to look at the schedule is this.

Our schedule and the Chargers are the same, except for:

We play Indy and NE with the 2nd place schedule
SD plays Mia and Ten with the 1st place schedule

Now, obviously, Denver got screwed, as the 2nd place schedule is MUCH harder than the first place schedule.

Beyond that, the only difference is home away. For instance, we are getting Baltimore in Baltimore, they got Baltimore in SD. SD went to Pit, we play Pit in Denver.

Now, we beat NE and they beat Mia, and we still have to face Indy and they have to face Ten, which are the only parts of our schedules that aren't the same. Logic would say that they will pick up a game there.

So, the division is by no means a lock, and SD has looked much better (other than when they played us), but a three game division lead is nice to have.

There is little doubt that we can't afford to lose Oak and KC(x2), and possibly our next meeting of SD. Surrounding them, we have only one 'easy' game in Washington, and then we have Bal, Pit, Giants, Indy and Philly. Those are going to be five very tought games to win, which means we can't have any slip ups against the AFC west teams or Washington.

NameUsedBefore
10-26-2009, 10:28 AM
Losing in the first round would suck, but 6-0 by itself exceeded my expectations so it's not that bad.

Also, fame.

TXBRONC
10-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Losing in the first round would suck, but 6-0 by itself exceeded my expectations so it's not that bad.

Also, fame.

Are you figuring you can cash in and maybe get some face time with Letterman and Leno? :D

broncofaninfla
10-26-2009, 10:37 AM
At the beginning of the season I didn't expect much from this team. After watching improve each week I now have high expectations from them. It's early and there is still A LOT of football left but if we continue to improve each week like we have been and stay healthy I like our chances of winning the division and competing with the top teams in the AFC.

Tned
10-26-2009, 11:01 AM
At the beginning of the season I didn't expect much from this team. After watching improve each week I now have high expectations from them. It's early and there is still A LOT of football left but if we continue to improve each week like we have been and stay healthy I like our chances of winning the division and competing with the top teams in the AFC.

I think it's hard not to have our expectations raised, as each week they go out there an consistantly perform great on the field. They shut down Dallas in the second half, and you could say, "well, Romo missed some throws, Dallas killed themselves", but then they do the exact same thing to NE and SD and you can't keep saying the other team folded in the second half.

This second half defense has been mind blowing. What are we looking at now, something like opposing teams being 2-39 in 3rd down conversion attempts in the second half and none in the last four games? (Dallas did convert a 4th down).

7 weeks ago, it was easy to have very low expectations, every week it gets harder to keep them low.

Cugel
10-26-2009, 11:38 AM

Well you were right about that and I (who predicted no more than 7 wins) was wrong. But, WHY were you right?

Answer: The defense is playing like the 2000 Ravens. That's why.

Literally. 2000 Ravens: 10.3 ppg average. 2009 Broncos 11 ppg average.

As long as they keep playing like that, how could anybody be satisfied with just a playoff appearance?

They have only to win 6 of the next 10 games to have a 12-4 season and a home playoff game. They could easily go 7-3 and win 13 games!

That would get them a first week bye (probably along with the Colts), then at home against a team like the Patriots or Bengals.

Is there any reason why the Broncos COULDN'T beat either of those teams at HOME, when they've already beaten them once this season?

HELL NO!

If it were the Steelers at home that might be tougher. But, again, is there any reason they CAN'T win? NO!

So, why would anybody be satisfied with less than 1 playoff win? :confused:

Cugel
10-26-2009, 11:50 AM
7 weeks ago, it was easy to have very low expectations, every week it gets harder to keep them low.

Why would you keep them low? After 6 games the team defense is not simply best in the NFL (in points allowed, which is what counts, not total yards, which is how the NFL measures defenses), but is on pace to equal or surpass the 193 points given up by the 2002 Bucs -- and they won a SB with Brad Johnson!

It all depends on whether the defense can continue to play like this all season long.

6-0 means they only have to win 6 out of the next ten to guarantee a home playoff game, and 7 out of the last 10 to virtually guarantee a first week bye. That certainly looks doable at this point.

Will they do it? Who knows? But betting against them hasn't been a good idea so far this season now has it? :coffee:

History says they can't. They're bound to slip up somewhere and lose a couple of games.

But, they haven't so far, and realistically or not, what evidence exists to suggest that they CAN'T do it?

I go by the evidence of my senses and by logic.

Before the season I thought the Broncos would win 6 or 7, maybe 8 games tops. Why?

Because it was a new system on both offense and defense, because there were new coaches and because there was nothing but question marks at most defensive positions. Could Ron Fields really be an effective NT when he'd been a backup his entire career? Could Brian Dawkins avoid being a liability in coverage? Would the FA acquisitions like Renaldo Hill be any better than the stiffs Shanahan brought in like Nikko Koutivides or DeWayne Robertson? Would Dumervil adapt quickly to ROLB? Could the team generate a pass-rush? Could Kenny Peterson and Roy McBean (career scrubs) be anything other than liabilities at DE?

The answer (improbably) to all these questions is a resounding YES!

Hence, the 6-0 mark. No reason the Broncos can't continue to do exactly what they've been doing so far. And if they do, they can possibly go as far as the AFC Championship game.

I think it might be a stretch to think they can beat the Colts and go to a SB, but they've exceeded expectations all season long. I logically can't say it's impossible at this point.

Lonestar
10-26-2009, 11:51 AM
well I still have bronco phobias, such as losing trap games, getting out asses blown OUT of the stadium, and sometime the near by states..:D

as well as losing home games..

and the east coast loses but Josh has seemed to fix that glaring hole.. if he can patch those other issues that plagued this team for the past almost dozen years then I have alot more confidence in getting to and winning some playoff games.

but I still think our major runs will be made 2010-13 maybe even 2014 barring injuries..

Tned
10-26-2009, 12:52 PM
well I still have bronco phobias, such as losing trap games, getting out asses blown OUT of the stadium, and sometime the near by states..:D

as well as losing home games..

and the east coast loses but Josh has seemed to fix that glaring hole.. if he can patch those other issues that plagued this team for the past almost dozen years then I have alot more confidence in getting to and winning some playoff games.

but I still think our major runs will be made 2010-13 maybe even 2014 barring injuries..

Ok, I know the revisonist history thing is en vogue at the moment, but lets look at those last 12 years you spoek of. The Broncos are fourth in the league in wins over the last 12 years, even with the last three years being .500 ball (not counting this season).

The ONLY team with significantly more wins than the Broncos over the last 12 years are the Pats.

I'm just as excited as anyone about how the Broncos are playing, I just don't get into the revisionist history, where people have to falsely peg the Broncos as a lousy team over the last decade plus, to some how feel better about this season, or to back hand slam Mike Shanahan.

NFL Wins from 1997-2008:

129 Pats
120 Colts
118 Steelers
117 Broncos
116 Packers
112 Titans
106 Vikings
106 Eagles
105 Jaguars
105 Giants
105 Tampa
103 Ravens
102 Seahawks
100 Dolphins
100 Jets
95 Cowboys
95 Chiefs
92 Falcons
92 Rams
90 Panthers
90 Redskins
89 Chargers
89 49ers
88 Bears
87 Bills
85 Saints
77 Oakland
77 Raiders
72 Bengals
71 Cardinals
62 Lions
54 Browns *Didn't play in '97 or '98

Lonestar
10-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Ok, I know the revisonist history thing is en vogue at the moment, but lets look at those last 12 years you spoek of. The Broncos are fourth in the league in wins over the last 12 years, even with the last three years being .500 ball (not counting this season).

The ONLY team with significantly more wins than the Broncos over the last 12 years are the Pats.

I'm just as excited as anyone about how the Broncos are playing, I just don't get into the revisionist history, where people have to falsely peg the Broncos as a lousy team over the last decade plus, to some how feel better about this season, or to back hand slam Mike Shanahan.

NFL Wins from 1997-2008:

129 Pats
120 Colts
118 Steelers
117 Broncos
116 Packers
112 Titans
106 Vikings
106 Eagles
105 Jaguars
105 Giants
105 Tampa
103 Ravens
102 Seahawks
100 Dolphins
100 Jets
95 Cowboys
95 Chiefs
92 Falcons
92 Rams
90 Panthers
90 Redskins
89 Chargers
89 49ers
88 Bears
87 Bills
85 Saints
77 Oakland
77 Raiders
72 Bengals
71 Cardinals
62 Lions
54 Browns *Didn't play in '97 or '98

wow they could win some games. how many playoff games did they win since our HOF players retired..

remember mikes stated goals each year was to win the super bowl.. not just win games..

revise that one..

Tned
10-26-2009, 12:58 PM

wow they could win some games how many playoff games did they win since our HOF players retired..

revise that one..

You should know, you had many conversations with Mtnman about Jake and regular season vs. post season wins.

Anyway, the answer is one playoff win, which is more than the Cowboys and a great many other teams.

Rewrite history all you want, the fact is that there are only a couple teams that have a better record and more SB wins in the last twelve years than the Broncos.

I simply don't subscribe to revisionist history. Never have, never will.

Tned
10-26-2009, 01:01 PM

wow they could win some games. how many playoff games did they win since our HOF players retired..

remember mikes stated goals each year was to win the super bowl.. not just win games..

revise that one..

Sorry, you changed your post between when I quoted it and I submitted it.

Anyway, as to the SB wins. Obviously, every team's 'goal' is to win the SB. Teams that don't put up consistant winning seasons, have NO chance to win the SB. When you are consistantly one of the winningest teams in football, at least you have a shot.

How ironic, that you are now having to resort to measuing Shanhan by the fact that he said each year his goal was to win the SB, and therefore any year he didn't, he failed.

Do you realize by that measure, how many failed coaches and teams exist in the NFL? :confused:

Lonestar
10-26-2009, 01:09 PM
You should know, you had many conversations with Mtnman about Jake and regular season vs. post season wins.

Anyway, the answer is one playoff win, which is more than the Cowboys and a great many other teams.

Rewrite history all you want, the fact is that there are only a couple teams that have a better record and more SB wins in the last twelve years than the Broncos.

I simply don't subscribe to revisionist history. Never have, never will.

I'm not rewriting history merely stating facts mikes goal every year was Superbowl and we had ONE count it ONE play off win in all of those years..

can't win super bowls if you do not win in the clutch..

mikes game was finesse and strategy once they were exposed by mid season we were only pretenders after the HOF players retired...

so brag on how great mike was all you want, everyone outside of DEN knows how he won the Lombardi's.. and why he did not win after they retired..

I'm happy that DEN won alot of games and have enjoyed watching the games, but it became clear to me 4-5 years ago it was mike that was holding this franchise back, with his total screw up of personnel decisions from 2000-05. Anyone that can't see that is an ostrich..

I'm glad that Pat had the huevos to make the change this year.. finally we have a TEAM again..

Lonestar
10-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Sorry, you changed your post between when I quoted it and I submitted it.

Anyway, as to the SB wins. Obviously, every team's 'goal' is to win the SB. Teams that don't put up consistant winning seasons, have NO chance to win the SB. When you are consistantly one of the winningest teams in football, at least you have a shot.

How ironic, that you are now having to resort to measuing Shanhan by the fact that he said each year his goal was to win the SB, and therefore any year he didn't, he failed.

Do you realize by that measure, how many failed coaches and teams exist in the NFL? :confused:

just what year was that? in those 10 years or so..

BigDaddyBronco
10-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Krieger: Broncos' piping-hot 6-0 start readjusts expectations

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Dave Krieger
Denver Post Columnist

Perhaps not since Charles Dickens' young Pip has anyone gone from no expectations to great expectations as fast as this year's Broncos.

As they return to work following their bye week, the NFL's most surprising undefeated team faces a challenging history. The Broncos started 6-0 four times in their previous 49 seasons. They went on to the Super Bowl every time.

Can this year's reconstituted team make it 5-for-5?

This speculative exercise is of much greater interest to fans and observers than to the team itself, which has gotten to 6-0 by looking at the little picture, not the big one. Still, I asked coach Josh McDaniels last week if being 6-0 puts more pressure on the team he has overhauled since taking charge in January.

"No," he said. "That's all we are, is 6-0. The only pressure that we have is the same pressure we've been playing with since the beginning of the preseason, which is to go out there and play our best football every week.

"That doesn't change. The opponents are going to change, but what we're doing and how we work and how we prepare each week is not going to change. Our record is not really going to affect whether we work harder. Hopefully we've been working as hard as we possibly can, and that's the attitude we're going to have going forward."

A once-daunting schedule now looks at least manageable, especially with games remaining against Washington (2-4), Oakland (2-5) and two against Kansas City (1-6).

"Football in Kansas City is just awful," Boomer Esiason said Sunday on CBS at halftime of San Diego's 37-7 beatdown of the Chiefs.

"And it used to be so good too," said James Brown, as if talking about the dead.

Win those four and split the rest and the Broncos would end up 13-3. Even allowing a traditional loss in Kansas City or a 2-4 record against the better opponents, the Broncos would still end up 12-4, with an excellent chance at a first-round bye in the playoffs.

So Broncos fans are recalibrating expectations on the fly. At broncosforums.com, a poll asks the question, "With 6-0 start, will winning the division but losing in the first round be disappointing?"

In early voting on the site, almost half the respondents replied "No, winning the division will have exceeded most expectations. That's all they need to do."

Nearly a third replied, "Yes, a 6-0 start and beating strong teams (Cincinnati, New England, Dallas, San Diego), we need to win one or more playoff games."

The remainder, a little less than a quarter, replied, "Yes, if this team doesn't make a serious run at the Super Bowl, it will be very disappointing."

At pro-football-reference.com, Jason Lisk did a statistical analysis of the Broncos' results so far, comparing them with every other NFL team since 1978 on the basis of wins, points, rushing yards, passing yards and the respective differentials with their opponents, on both sides of the ball. With a heavy weighting on wins, the 10 teams most similar to the 2009 Broncos all started either 6-0 or 5-1.

It might be slightly disconcerting that the team his study found most similar, the 1981 Philadelphia Eagles of Dick Vermeil, Ron Jaworski and Wilbert Montgomery, started 6-0 and went 4-6 the rest of the way, finishing 10-6 and losing a wild-card playoff game to the Giants.

On the other hand, the second-most similar team, the 1986 Giants, started 5-1 and went 9-1 the rest of the way, finishing 14-2 and beating the Broncos in the Super Bowl. (The Broncos also started 6-0 that year, going 5-5 the rest of the way.)

All 10 of the teams Lisk found most similar to this year's Broncos finished between 10-6 and 14-2. Their average final record was 12-4. They did slow down after their fast starts, going from a collective 56-4 over their first six games to 68-32 over their last 10.

More to the point, Lisk put the Broncos' chances of making the playoffs at 99 percent.

So a team from which little or nothing was expected at the beginning of the season is now in a position to accomplish a great deal. But there's still no consensus as to just how great the expectations ought to be.

Tned is paying off the local media again. :D

T.K.O.
10-26-2009, 03:49 PM
i like the 99% playoff chances.....but i think it was 99.9% in week 15 last year....wha wha whaaaaa (debbie downer music)
i think we will beat sd at mile high and crush any chance at a repeat of last years disaster.
i like the teams attitude this year and there are just enough holdovers to not let anyone forget watching the chargers celebrate that 52-21 embarrassment and then packing up their lockers the next day to go home and watch the playoffs!:mad:

Lonestar
10-28-2009, 02:04 PM
I sent Dave Krieger a short thank you note..
these are his responses..

To: Krieger, Dave
Subject: Krieger: Broncos' piping-hot 6-0 start readjusts expectations

thanks for the mention of our forum. we are an outshoot of the Broncos main forum. most of us left when they were going through changes a few years ago.. we started up this group and brought some of the best and brightest posters to it.. atleast in the many Broncos fan forums I have visited..

Since many of us live outside of Colorado, so it is hard for us to get up to date info without our forum..We have many fans from other cities that post there mostly from AFCW cities but lately some from CHI and NE..

come on over some time and visit us.. we post alot of your articles to discuss, your one of the best writers at the POST.. you got a lot of positive comments from the posters when they saw this..

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75231

other writers are not thought of so highly..

any way keep up the good work..

JRWIZ moderator of Broncos forums

-----Original Message-----
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 09:49:19

Thanks for the note and for the background on your site. Makes sense that fans from around the country would find a way to talk to each other. In my brief visit, your site seemed much more civil than some of the message boards I've seen.
dk.

Cc: B V T
Subject: Re: Krieger: Broncos' piping-hot 6-0 start readjusts expectations

Do you mind if I post this on our site. I suspect our group would like to know your thoughts about us. Please by all means come back a post sometime even if is under a puesdo login.

JR
Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

Sure, no problem.

I hi-lited the portion I thought was most interesting.. Props to our members... lets keep it that way..

weazel
10-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Ok, not too many people thought we would be 6-0 at the bye week, and we have a bear of a schedule still ahead: at Bal, Pit, NYG, at Phi and SD.

So, considering the massive roster and coaching turnover and the vicious schedule, is winning the division enough? Will everyone be happy with a division title, and then one and gone in the playoffs?

Or, now that we are 6-0 at the bye, will anything short of a deep playoff run be a disappointing year?

They have won more games than I thought they would all season, I'm already pretty happy. A playoff berth and win would just be awesome.

Tned-Mobile
10-29-2009, 01:21 PM
They have won more games than I thought they would all season, I'm already pretty happy. A playoff berth and win would just be awesome.

Personally, I expected 7-9 wins, so we aren't to my win total expectation, but never in my wildest dreams to I expect a 6-0 start. I figured we would be more like 3-3 right now.

TXBRONC
10-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Personally, I expected 7-9 wins, so we aren't to my win total expectation, but never in my wildest dreams to I expect a 6-0start. I figured we would be more like 3-3 right now.

Same here I never expected them to start the season 6-0 and I was really sure what kind of win total we would have. At begining of the year would not have surprised if we had been 3-3 after the first six games.