PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Draft projections

broncofaninfla
10-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Let's say the 2009 season is over and the draft is next week, which position would you say the Broncos need most at this point and why?

claymore
10-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Let's say the 2009 season is over and the draft is next week, which position would you say the Broncos need most at this point and why?

Whats deep in the Draft? Im a BPA type guy.... But I really want a good safety. I want a young Dawkins.... Someone he can teach.

OldschoolFreak
10-23-2009, 02:56 PM
No way, we've got to build some beef along the D-line. This year's squad is totally over performing which is great but shouldn't be counted on to last indefinitely.

MHCBill
10-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Best Player Available... it's that simple.

You don't draft a need because if it doesn't pan out then you are even further behind. You take the best players available and work from there.

gregbroncs
10-23-2009, 05:18 PM
C, LG, DT and a K.

EMB6903
10-23-2009, 05:40 PM

You don't draft a need because if it doesn't pan out then you are even further behind. You take the best players available and work from there.

Spot on.

SmilinAssasSin27
10-23-2009, 05:58 PM
The great teams are uber-deep in their front 7s. ILB or DE IMHO.

gobroncsnv
10-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Either line is fine with me... LOVE the way our guys are playing right now, but still not convinced we're stout enough up front... But now that we are at least competent everywhere, we probably could start the BPA strategy, DEPENDING upon what the BPA is. I think you have to be judicious there, especially in the early rounds.

broncofaninfla
10-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Both guard positions might need to be addressed if we don't get better in short yardage situations this season.

honz
10-23-2009, 08:06 PM
I'd list our needs in order as: DL, OL, CB, LB.

LRtagger
10-23-2009, 08:40 PM
IMO at this point OL is a bigger need than DL...never thought I would say that...but I do agree BPA is the way to go. I get the impression Josh will do whatever he needs to do to get the players that he wants.

jhildebrand
10-23-2009, 09:50 PM
Eric Berry or Taylor Mays to groom behind Dawk! Our next Atwater/Smith combo!

dogfish
10-23-2009, 10:50 PM
it really depends on who's on the board, and even more on what we do with all our impending free agents-- but in terms of answering the question based on what we have right now, from a positional need perspective, i'd say that interior O-line is the most pressing need. . . .

BCJ
10-23-2009, 10:51 PM

then dont count on the top 31 picks because I am jonesing for that last pick. Of course we are switching with the Bears so I will go with Cutler choking a few more games and get top 12 pick. I would go defense first round. You want a stud OL, go with that in 2nd or 3rd.

ikillz0mbies
10-23-2009, 11:40 PM
I want Terrance Cody.....then a Safety and LG.

Shazam!
10-24-2009, 12:08 AM
Knowing Mcd, he may do a Bellicheck and trade down a bunch of picks.

Magnificent Seven
10-24-2009, 12:14 AM
A stud place kicker. I want someone who is next Jason Elam.

Shutdown
10-24-2009, 12:25 AM
Knowing Mcd, he may do a Bellicheck and trade down a bunch of picks.

Thats what I would be thinking. If he gets a decent to high 1st from the Bears then I think it would be smart to trade down for as many picks as we can get.

ikillz0mbies
10-24-2009, 12:45 AM
I think trading down and getting more picks would be very smart. Belicheck has done a good job in getting quality players in the latter part of rounds.

oobehr
10-24-2009, 12:52 AM
We don't really have any glaring needs at the moment. Nothing to trade the franchise for atleast. I wouldn't mind a dawkins-like safety to take over as soon as he is out. We will need atleast one new lineman next year, so we could build depth there. But really we don't have one big weakness at any position, so we could go with trading down for more picks or we could go BPA to build depth and nurture our future.

elsid13
10-24-2009, 07:02 AM
The DEs need to be upgrade, either they are old or so-so, so that seem a prime area of concern. Plus this is very good draft for DT/DEs. I don't think we will see NT with Fields, Baker and Thomas all signed for the long term and making some contribution already.

After the DE position I expect another QB (yes I know Orton has played good for the last 2 games) and help in the G/C area. Kuper will be resigned that leaves Hamilton and Casey's position. Olson might be ready next year or might not.

nevcraw
10-24-2009, 10:23 AM
In no particular order
Guard - I think hamilton maybe the center when wigman retires.
WR - i want that stokes type kid from texas
3-4 DE - guys we have now are servicable but...
NT - always need a clogger
Saftey - only if the coaches dont think Mcbath bruton or barret are the future

Lonestar
10-24-2009, 12:40 PM
I believe that we need a stud NT as I think our guys are not hefty enuff to stand up all year. Unless they can get <335 over the off season. And that is not blubber but mostly muscle mass.

OG and Center are almost never day one picks so with the #2 choice BPA.

After the NT and OG or C then BPA. That is all predicated on not losing any of our UFA. Although unless they sign a CBA they are all RFA and we still control their destiny and could get a bunch of draft picks with them.

Pray for a bears melt down so we can get a top 15 pick or better.

Sent via Blackberry by altell.

dogfish
10-24-2009, 01:30 PM
I believe that we need a stud NT as I think our guys are not hefty enuff to stand up all year. Unless they can get <335 over the off season. And that is not blubber but mostly muscle mass.

OG and Center are almost never day one picks so with the #2 choice BPA.

After the NT and OG or C then BPA. That is all predicated on not losing any of our UFA. Although unless they sign a CBA they are all RFA and we still control their destiny and could get a bunch of draft picks with them.

Pray for a bears melt down so we can get a top 15 pick or better.

although i do like the idea of being a big, physically imposing team, i've always said that you place waaay too much importance on a guy's size, as opposed to what kind of football player he is. . . if fields wears down then i'll apologize to you, but if he keeps playing the way he has been then you're the one who owes him an apology. . . . ;)

not that i would complain at all if we landed terrance cody, but neither 335 or 365 means shit if the guy can't play. . . i'll take a slightly undersized but tough and effective nosetackle over some big sloppy mess that doesn't have anything going for him besides 335 any day and twice on sunday. . . fields has been doin' his job, and at a little lighter weight he actually may be a bit better conditioned athlete-- how many snaps do you really think kris jenkins or shaun rodgers would give you from game to game playing half the time at altitude? rodgers probably plays about the lowest percentage of total defensive snaps of any high-caliber starter in the league as it is-- dude would probably be completely gassed late in the season if he played in denver. . . .

fields is clearly both comfortable and effective playing in the weight range he's currently at-- and FTR, jay ratliff went to the pro bowl last year playing nosetackle at just over 300 pounds. . . doesn't mean that i'd prefer a player that undersized at the position, but if you can get it done you can get it done. . .

and if raw size is really what you want, don't forget that we've got chris baker at around 330. . . i still think he's going to develop into a solid player for us, and he definitely has the size you want for the position. . .

oobehr
10-24-2009, 01:39 PM
I would like to see us draft jordan shipley, if he goes to the NFL(I think I heard something about him going to basketball instead.) He could very well be the next Welker, making our recieving corps that much more dangerous. But I don't think he is a must draft, just grab him in the early second rounds I guess.

Drill-N-Fill
10-24-2009, 05:38 PM
3rd and short are the biggest weakness this team faces. A nice LG would be good.

Can't go wrong with a player on both sides of the line. I would go (LG, C, NT, DE) in no particular order.

elsid13
10-24-2009, 06:22 PM
although i do like the idea of being a big, physically imposing team, i've always said that you place waaay too much importance on a guy's size, as opposed to what kind of football player he is. . . if fields wears down then i'll apologize to you, but if he keeps playing the way he has been then you're the one who owes him an apology. . . . ;)

not that i would complain at all if we landed terrance cody, but neither 335 or 365 means shit if the guy can't play. . . i'll take a slightly undersized but tough and effective nosetackle over some big sloppy mess that doesn't have anything going for him besides 335 any day and twice on sunday. . . fields has been doin' his job, and at a little lighter weight he actually may be a bit better conditioned athlete-- how many snaps do you really think kris jenkins or shaun rodgers would give you from game to game playing half the time at altitude? rodgers probably plays about the lowest percentage of total defensive snaps of any high-caliber starter in the league as it is-- dude would probably be completely gassed late in the season if he played in denver. . . .

fields is clearly both comfortable and effective playing in the weight range he's currently at-- and FTR, jay ratliff went to the pro bowl last year playing nosetackle at just over 300 pounds. . . doesn't mean that i'd prefer a player that undersized at the position, but if you can get it done you can get it done. . .

and if raw size is really what you want, don't forget that we've got chris baker at around 330. . . i still think he's going to develop into a solid player for us, and he definitely has the size you want for the position. . .

My problem with Cody is that he is 2 down NT in college, if you are going to spend a 1st on player he better be on the field for 3 downs. Beside there are number of players latter in the draft that could fill the need for big NT.

WARHORSE
10-24-2009, 09:43 PM
Any impact player.

Eric Berry is someone I would love to have.

But I also would love a BEHEMOTH up front on the Oline or the Dline. Either a NT or a Center.

Lets not take Wiegman or Hamilton for granted. Our Oline is worth the investment.

Everyone should be quick to understand that a vast majority of our offensive success is coming from the ability to keep Orton on his feet.

WARHORSE
10-25-2009, 03:42 AM
Chicago is going to lose the rest of their games, giving us a top ten pick.

Thank you Jay Cutler.:salute:

Lonestar
10-25-2009, 11:11 AM

not that i would complain at all if we landed terrance cody, but neither 335 or 365 means shit if the guy can't play. . . i'll take a slightly undersized but tough and effective nosetackle over some big sloppy mess that doesn't have anything going for him besides 335 any day and twice on sunday. . . fields has been doin' his job, and at a little lighter weight he actually may be a bit better. conditioned athlete-- how many snaps do you really think kris jenkins or shaun rodgers would give you from game to game playing half the time at altitude? rodgers probably plays about the lowest percentage of total defensive snaps of any high-caliber starter in the league as it is-- dude would probably be completely gassed late in the season if he played in denver. . . .

I think you missed my comment about it being 335 of solid muscle mass oppossed to being blubber.

Yes I know the altitude would wear them down if they are not in superb condition.

But I still have concerns about undersized players making it through until games 12-16 also.

We all know in years past we would start like a bullet winning a bunch of games and then fading down the stretch. That is a concern for Fields that I have. IIRC Ratlif is also surrounded by great players so that makes his job somewhat eaiser.

As far baker is concerned he may be that stud NT but IIRC he is more like 318 than 340.

Some of the slobs on other teams would nev er hack it in DEN we have seen that with all the wastes we have brought in over the years.

Hamilton has been palying on skates for years it is time for him to move on he has worked as a ZBS guy having help from from lepsis to nalen in the past. When he is one on one with DT or NT he is getting pushed back into the pocket on a regular basis. He is that weak link right now.

As I said OG and C are rounds 3-5 picks as a general rule.

I also feel our future DB group is already on the squad just need a couple years being taught by the starters we have right now.

Right now our weakest area is DEPTH and maybe DL, OLG and C. All need to be addressed with more heft while adhering to Joshes mold of being big, smart, versitle and fast.