PDA

View Full Version : RMN Team Report

TXBRONC
12-29-2007, 10:33 PM
Just a couple of tidbits some of which you already know. One thing I didn't about or even notice is that Hamza Abdullah has actually switched positions with John Lynch.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2007/dec/29/broncos-report-december-29/

Broncos report, December 29
The Rocky
Saturday, December 29, 2007

After further review

Having spent a day in a local hotel waiting for the snow to stop, former Oregon State punter Sam Paulescu showed enough in a Friday morning workout for the Broncos to sign him.

Paulescu will be in uniform Sunday to punt against the Vikings and will replace Paul Ernster, who was released Wednesday after a poor showing Monday night in San Diego. Paulescu will be the third Broncos punter in as many weeks to appear in a game since Ernster had replaced Todd Sauerbrun the week before the Chargers game.

"In my heart, I just felt really good," Paulescu said. "I've been working hard. I just know in my heart I can play."

The Broncos also worked out veteran Dirk Johnson, Mike Barr, Ryan Dougherty, D.J. Fitzpatrick, Brian Monroe and Glenn Pakulak at their Dove Valley complex. Paulescu had been in training camp with the Cowboys and punted against the Broncos in the preseason.

The Broncos had a good look at him as well, having practiced against the Cowboys for a week leading up to that game.

Move over

Broncos safety John Lynch continues to be listed as the team's free safety on the depth chart, right alongside Hamza Abdullah.

But a look at the video shows that Lynch has played strong safety for the past three games - Kansas City, Houston and San Diego - with Abdullah playing at free safety.

Lynch has been along the line of scrimmage more overall in the second half of the season and also has come off the field - he had been coming out of the lineup in the team's nickel (five defensive backs) package earlier this year, but less in recent weeks.

He has been credited with six and five tackles in the past two games to go with one pass defensed.

Numbers game

3 NFL head coaches attended Eastern Illinois University. Two of the three - the Broncos' Mike Shanahan and the Vikings' Brad Childress - will be across the field from each other Sunday. New Orleans' Sean Payton is the third.

Double take

There were some teams that were concerned with running back Adrian Peterson's physical at the scouting combine in February, worried that his left collarbone was not healing properly from a fracture he had suffered in college. But Childress said he had no concerns, given what his personnel staff knew, and the payoff has been a Pro Bowl season for the rookie.

"We felt like we did our homework on that," Childress said. "Kind of knew he had rebroken that thing in the bowl game, and it kind of went unreported. Initially, when you get checked out at the combine, there was some conversation about the thing hadn't healed correctly from when he broke it back in October, November, whenever it was, but with the added insight that he did rebreak it in that bowl game, you felt like it was going to heal and heal just fine."

Peterson, who has missed some time because of a knee injury this season, leads the NFC in rushing yards, with 1,305, and has the inside track for the league's Offensive Rookie of the Year honor.

Etc.

* The Elias Sports Bureau, the league's official statistician, has awarded Elvis Dumervil an additional full sack, now giving him 12 for the season. Dumervil and Tim Crowder initially had been awarded a half- sack each after bringing down San Diego backup quarterback Billy Volek during the fourth quarter Monday night.

But it was reviewed, and Dumervil was given the sack. Dumervil now is tied with three others for 10th on the all-time single-season list for the Broncos.

Trevor Pryce had 12 sacks in 2000, joining Simon Fletcher in 1989 and Paul Smith in 1971.

* After reviewing Lynch's unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty from Monday, the NFL has elected not to fine him for tossing LaDainian Tomlinson's helmet after a tackle.

Lynch had apologized to Tomlinson during the game, as well as apologizing publicly after the game.

* Because of the weather, the Broncos practiced on their indoor field at their facility for the second consecutive day. The field has about 30 yards of workable space.

He said it

"Once you say it's over, it's over. Once you say it, it's really done. I don't want to close that door until I know for sure."

Rod Smith, Broncos receiver, on trying to decide which kind of surgical procedure to have on his left hip.

Injury report

* Linebacker Ian Gold (right knee) and wide receiver Brandon Stokley (left knee) did not practice Friday and have been held out all week. Tight end Daniel Graham (left ankle) practiced on a limited basis and could play Sunday. All three formally were listed as questionable for the game.

* For the Vikings, backup linebacker Vinny Ciurciu (ankle) was the only player held out of practice and is listed as doubtful. Defensive tackle Pat Williams (knee) and cornerback Antoine Winfield (chest/shoulder) were among those who were limited. Both were listed as questionable, though with the Vikings playing for a postseason spot, the two are expected to warm up before the game.

Winfield has been practicing with a harness on his shoulder after partially tearing a chest muscle.

NameUsedBefore
12-29-2007, 10:38 PM
The safety thing really isn't a big deal. The idea of a "full safety" and a "strong safety" has kinda disappeared in this era of football as far as I can tell. Cool to see Dumervil get #12; I feel that Smith should retire, but I'd really like to keep him around as some kind of consultant or receivers coach.

Skinny
12-29-2007, 10:47 PM
I wonder about Stokley's injury. He has'nt practiced all week so the chances of him playing Sunday look slim. If he is inactice come gameday ... that'll be his 3rd straight missed game. His absence in that crucial game against Houston was huge ...

I really hope Mikey does something in FA or the Draft to solidify the W.R. position ... in case of what we have gone through this season with Stokley's and JWalk's injuries ... i don't see how he can't ...

TXBRONC
12-29-2007, 10:53 PM
The safety thing really isn't a big deal. The idea of a "full safety" and a "strong safety" has kinda disappeared in this era of football as far as I can tell. Cool to see Dumervil get #12; I feel that Smith should retire, but I'd really like to keep him around as some kind of consultant or receivers coach.

I'm not saying it's a big deal its just something to take note of.

NameUsedBefore
12-29-2007, 10:58 PM
I'm not saying it's a big deal its just something to take note of.

Oh I know; I was just responding to the article. :salute:

TXBRONC
12-30-2007, 12:07 AM
Oh I know; I was just responding to the article. :salute:

Gotcha. :beer: