View Full Version : Broncos will see plenty of NFL's better offenses

TXBRONC
10-23-2009, 08:35 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13622778

Broncos will see plenty of NFL's better offenses
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 10/23/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

There are certain things that get a team behind the NFL's velvet ropes, to mingle with the VIPs and bask in the spotlight.

And a bone-bruising, assert-your-authority defense is certainly one of those things.

Which is why the Broncos are among those walking the league's red carpet at the moment, one of four undefeated teams as they enjoy their bye week, leading the league in scoring defense, having surrendered a miserly 11 points per game.

Ah, but they have miles to go before they sleep.

"We know," safety Brian Dawkins said. "Nobody has to say anything about it. We know. And if you don't know, we have the people who can tell you."

Such as coach Josh McDaniels.

"We play with a chip on our shoulder," outside linebacker Darrell Reid said. "We don't want to lose our chip. People will come after you if you lose your chip."

While the Broncos' defense, one of the league's worst the previous two seasons, has fought its way to the front of the line,consider the work that remains the rest of the season. The Broncos:

• Will face five of the league's top 10 scoring teams — the Giants, Ravens, Colts, Eagles and Chargers.

• Will face four of the seven offenses that have scored at least 17 touchdowns — the Ravens, Giants, Colts and Steelers.

• Will play five of the six teams currently averaging at least 6 yards a play — the Steelers, Giants, Ravens, Colts and Saints.

• Will face five of the top seven passing offenses — Steelers, Colts, Ravens, Giants and Chargers — and the Ravens and Steelers are their next two games.

"That's plenty to do," cornerback Champ Bailey said. "You can't let up, ever. We've had good starts around here before — you know, 4-1 last year — and it didn't mean anything."

The Broncos have been fortunate not to lose front-line players to injuries too. They are the only team in the league starting four players in the secondary who are at least 30 years old, which could be a cause for concern over a long season.

"It's about people taking care of themselves," Dawkins said of staying healthy. "Do the things you need to do through the week to give yourself the best chance to be ready on game day."

Three personnel executives from teams that remain on the Broncos' schedule said this week the difficulty in attacking the Broncos' defense is that their 3-4 scheme plays more like an old-school 5-2 against the run, closing down the line of scrimmage, and yet is able to get enough speed on the field in passing situations to cover the gaps.

"We like what we have going," said linebacker Elvis Dumervil, who has 10 sacks. "But nobody is going to remember it if we don't keep handling our business. We can be better, and you have to be better at the end of a season than you were in the beginning."

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The stretch run
Broncos reporter Jeff Legwold looks ahead at the Broncos' remaining schedule:

Nov. 1, at Baltimore: Sixth in passing, ninth in rushing.

Nov. 9, Pittsburgh: Super Bowl champs lead league in passing.

Nov. 15, at Washington: RB Clinton Portis seventh in rushing.

Nov. 22, San Diego: Philip Rivers has 13 TDs in seven starts against Denver.

Nov. 26, N.Y. Giants: No. 3 in scoring (29.3).

Dec. 6, at Kansas City: Broncos in Arrowhead in December? Do the math.

Dec. 13, at Indianapolis: QB Peyton Manning looks like first four-time MVP.

Dec. 20, Oakland: Classic trap game.

Dec. 27, at Philadelphia: Has four 260-yard passing games with two QBs.

Jan. 3, Kansas City: Larry Johnson can do some damage (if he's interested).

broncofaninfla
10-23-2009, 09:14 AM
The good thing about this schedule is we will know where we stand in the NFL after the regular season is over because odds are we have faced a good number of this years playoff teams in the AFC and a couple in the NFC as well.

Shazam!
10-23-2009, 09:35 AM
The opposition will be tough but it isn't like NE, Dallas and SD were mediocre offenses.

I wouldn't put Philly on there either. Sorry.

SR
10-23-2009, 10:12 AM
• Will play five of the six teams currently averaging at least 6 yards a play — the Steelers, Giants, Ravens, Colts and Saints.

We don't play the Saints.

NightTrainLayne
10-23-2009, 10:13 AM

Yes we do. Week 21. ;)

SR
10-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Doubtful

broncofaninfla
10-23-2009, 10:18 AM
The Saints are a VERY good team this year, the best in the NFL IMO

SoCoPoCo
10-23-2009, 10:19 AM
It is very cliche, but to be the best you have to beat the best. There is no doubt that we have the defense to take us far into the playoffs IF WE CAN STAY HEALTHY. As one who had a mild panic attack when Dawkins left the game, I hope we keep everyone on the field. We have some serious talent in our nickel and dime packages, but I don't want to see any of our rookies starting before they are ready.

TXBRONC
10-23-2009, 10:50 AM

Nice catch. :beer:

TXBRONC
10-23-2009, 10:52 AM
It is very cliche, but to be the best you have to beat the best. There is no doubt that we have the defense to take us far into the playoffs IF WE CAN STAY HEALTHY. As one who had a mild panic attack when Dawkins left the game, I hope we keep everyone on the field. We have some serious talent in our nickel and dime packages, but I don't want to see any of our rookies starting before they are ready.

Definitely this will be a battle tested team.

powderaddict
10-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Definitely this will be a battle tested team.

If they make it into the playoffs playing the best offenses, and defenses, in the league, they will be prepared for everything.

They can run the ball and play defense. Both are very, very good qualities to posses if you want to make some damage in the playoffs! :salute:

broncophan
10-23-2009, 01:40 PM
We all know how tough our schedule is.......but starting 6-0, and already having 5 wins vs. the afc will be huge come playoff time(tiebreakers)....if it comes to that.....(I hope I didn't just jinx us):D

I also think, outside of the Colts, every team in the afc already has at least 2 losses......so we have some room between us and them.

I say we just keep winning.....that makes everything alot easier....

broncofaninfla
10-23-2009, 01:45 PM
If we continue to get better each week like we have been I like our chances against any team in the league...............

TXBRONC
10-23-2009, 02:31 PM
We all know how tough our schedule is.......but starting 6-0, and already having 5 wins vs. the afc will be huge come playoff time(tiebreakers)....if it comes to that.....(I hope I didn't just jinx us):D

I also think, outside of the Colts, every team in the afc already has at least 2 losses......so we have some room between us and them.

I say we just keep winning.....that makes everything alot easier....

Our schedule is tough but do any of the teams we will face down the stretch look like they have no glaring weakness? I'm not saying Denver will go 16-0 but barring serious injury to key personnel their going to beat some of those playoff contending teams.

T.K.O.
10-23-2009, 02:46 PM
if we can make teams like the colts or steelers have to come through mile high in the playoffs.....we got a good shot.
i know i'm putting the cart before the horse here.....but if we are talking playoffs i think home field would be HUGE against either of those teams.:salute:

TXBRONC
10-23-2009, 03:10 PM
if we can make teams like the colts or steelers have to come through mile high in the playoffs.....we got a good shot.
i know i'm putting the cart before the horse here.....but if we are talking playoffs i think home field would be HUGE against either of those teams.:salute:

Please put the cart back behind the horse. :D

HORSEPOWER 56
10-25-2009, 11:24 AM
This season is all about breaking paradigms for this team. New coaches, new players, and a new attitude. For the past 9 years, it's been a "beat the teams you should beat, hope for a favorable schedule, do what you can to win big games against top opponents, and hope the rest of the division gets one more loss than you do" attitude. The team always seemed to know that they'd get beaten by Indy or as of late, SD. Not any more.

This team now has confidence and everyone on the same page playing for a common goal. The Coaches and players now go into each week not just thinking they can win, but expecting to win. That's strong motivation. The defense has proven it can win games late and the offense has also with late scoring drives in critical situations. The STs have started to produce big plays, too. The team has come from behind at halftime to win three consecutive weeks.

These are not the Broncos we've come to know and have a love/hate relationship with over the past decade. They are a totally different team out there this year. Just splitting the remaining 10 games is 11-5. I don't even see us doing that. 13-3 or 12-4 worst case just due to the passion and confidence with which this team is playing. We are last years' Titans right now, riding a wave of emotion. It's been a long time since I've seen this team with such drive to win and not give up even when trailing in the 4th quarter. To say I'm both impressed and surprised is the understatement of the year.

GO BRONCOS!!! :salute: GO DEFENSE!!! :defense:

TXBRONC
10-25-2009, 08:52 PM
What Denver is doing in the second half of these games is nothing short of amazing. But like McDaniels said the offense has do a better job of getting off to a fast start at the beginning of games and somehow they have to find a way to do a better job on short yardage situations.