PDA

View Full Version : Ravens' glaring problem: Giving up the big play

Denver Native (Carol)
10-22-2009, 01:56 PM
://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13601788

OWINGS MILLS, Md. — The Baltimore Ravens get two weeks to correct a variety of flaws that have contributed to a three-game losing streak, most notably their propensity to give up huge chunks of yardage on a single play.

During a 33-31 loss to Minnesota on Sunday, the Vikings used plays of 26 yards and 21 yards to grab a 14-0 lead. Then, in the second half, Minnesota peeled off gains of 63, 58 and 58 yards to keep the pressure on.

It was the continuation of a disturbing trend by a defense known as one of the fiercest in the NFL.

Baltimore (3-3) has yielded 12 plays of at least 30 yards and 13 more between 20 and 29 yards. Adrian Peterson had runs of 58 and 26 yards in becoming the second straight player to eclipse 100 yards rushing against the Ravens, who previously had gone 39 games without permitting a runner to break the century mark.

The pass defense is even worse. After Baltimore rallied from a 17-point deficit to take a 31-30 lead, Brett Favre promptly completed a 58-yard pass to set up the game-winning field goal.

"We just cannot continue to give up big plays," coach John Harbaugh said Monday. "Big plays are the problem. If we continue to give up big plays, we're going to continue to struggle." Harbaugh was so frustrated with his pass defense Sunday that he pulled cornerback Fabian Washington and inserted Frank Walker, who fared no better. Favre finished with a season-high three touchdown passes and threw for 278 yards.

The Ravens have almost two weeks until their next game, on Nov.1 against Denver. During that time Harbaugh will address the team's shortcomings, most notably a defense that is allowing an average of 22 points.

If Steve Hauschka was successful on a 44-yard field goal in the final seconds, Baltimore would be 4-2 and tied for first in the AFC North. The kick strayed to the left, but that didn't change Harbaugh's perception of his team.

"Whether we make the field goal at the end or don't make the field goal at the end, we're still the same team we would have been. The record would be better, and Hauschka would feel a little better about his ability to make that kick in a clutch situation," Harbaugh said.

"But we're still the same team. We've still got the same issues, and there's plenty of them," Harbaugh said. "I'm confident all those things are very solvable." Regarding the play of the secondary, Harbaugh said, "Part of it's playing technique against certain routes a little better, part of it is understanding where your help is going to be. The bottom line is that they're correctable things, both scheme-wise and technique-wise. We've got to fix them." Hauschka's miss caused some Ravens fans to wonder if the team should have kept veteran kicker Matt Stover. Harbaugh has no doubt he made the right decision in not re-signing the 41-year-old Stover and going with the 24-year-old Hauschka.

"We knew from Day 1 that our young kicker was going to miss a kick. And we also were pretty sure it was going to come in a hugely critical moment," Harbaugh said. "There was no guarantee that any kicker is going to make any kick in any situation. ... We believe we've got our kicker. We've seen enough of him to believe that." If there's cause for optimism, it's that the Ravens started 2-3 last season and made it all the way to the AFC championship game.

"I don't know if (the years) compare to each other or not," quarterback Joe Flacco said. "We feel like we have a good team; we just have to go out there and play a little bit better on Sunday.

Being on this team last year, I think we will do that."

broncofaninfla
10-22-2009, 03:21 PM
Something tells me Buck is going to rip off some big runs against them......

Lonestar
10-22-2009, 04:18 PM
this is very proud defense that has been spanked a couple of times.. I suspect even though they lost their DC to NYJ's they will come back to play against us considering we are one of the teams that are trying to take their Defensive crown.

this will be a very hard fought game on both sides.. Josh knows them from his time in that division so the very small advantage goes to us..

TXBRONC
10-22-2009, 06:15 PM
Something tells me Buck is going to rip off some big runs against them......

Their secondary seems to be their weakest link in my opinion.

SoCoPoCo
10-22-2009, 07:54 PM
This is going to be a statement game - quality opponent, on the road, they're on a losing streak...this is a game where we see exactly what kind of team we have, IMHO. I like our chances with the way our D is playing and agree with TX that we can take advantage of their secondary.

TXBRONC
10-22-2009, 08:02 PM
this is very proud defense that has been spanked a couple of times.. I suspect even though they lost their DC to NYJ's they will come back to play against us considering we are one of the teams that are trying to take their Defensive crown.

this will be a very hard fought game on both sides.. Josh knows them from his time in that division so the very small advantage goes to us..

I don't think our defensive ranking means anything to them. They've dropped three straight games that's what they're going to be pissed about.

UnderArmour
10-22-2009, 08:06 PM

Wait, what? Josh was never in the AFC North. Are you referring to Nolan?

TXBRONC
10-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Wait, what? Josh was never in the AFC North. Are you referring to Nolan?

Nice catch. :beer:

I'm going to guess he means Nolan.

ikillz0mbies
10-22-2009, 11:57 PM

I totally agree with you. With Dominique Foxworth and Fabian Washington as their starting Cornerbacks, the Broncos can easily exploit that. They both measure under 6 ft. and with Marshall's size, they CANNOT cover him in man coverage or they will get beat and burned every time. Unless they double him with a safety, Orton-to-Marshall will have a field day.

The keys to this game are the Broncos O-Line versus the Ravens blitz attack. Even as part of the best O-Line in the NFL, Ben Hamilton may struggle if the Ravens send Haloti Ngata his way. Hamilton has struggled against bigger Defensive Tackles this season. If I recall, Orton has been sacked from defenders plowing through Hamilton. The other key to this game is stopping the Ravens run game. This season, the Ravens have showcased a nice 1-2 punch in their backfield. Ray Rice has emerged this season and is leading the NFL in yards from scrimmage. Willis McGahee is no slouch either as he is a good red zone RB. They also have 2nd year FB John McClain who is great at short yardage and catching out of the backfield. I know the Broncos are top 10 in rush defense, but they will have their hands full with this Ravens rushing attack.

soonerjh
10-23-2009, 12:04 AM
I don't think our defensive ranking means anything to them. They've dropped three straight games that's what they're going to be pissed about.

just think how pissed they'll be when it becomes four straight!

TXBRONC
10-23-2009, 08:11 AM
just think how pissed they'll be when it becomes four straight!

I hope you're right.

The Ravens are still a very good football and we are playing them in their house.

broncofaninfla
10-23-2009, 08:13 AM

Seems as though they have been giving up big plays on runs and passes. I watched the Bengal Raven game a couple of weeks ago and remember thinking that we match up well against thier defense.

TXBRONC
10-23-2009, 08:14 AM
I totally agree with you. With Dominique Foxworth and Fabian Washington as their starting Cornerbacks, the Broncos can easily exploit that. They both measure under 6 ft. and with Marshall's size, they CANNOT cover him in man coverage or they will get beat and burned every time. Unless they double him with a safety, Orton-to-Marshall will have a field day.

The keys to this game are the Broncos O-Line versus the Ravens blitz attack. Even as part of the best O-Line in the NFL, Ben Hamilton may struggle if the Ravens send Haloti Ngata his way. Hamilton has struggled against bigger Defensive Tackles this season. If I recall, Orton has been sacked from defenders plowing through Hamilton. The other key to this game is stopping the Ravens run game. This season, the Ravens have showcased a nice 1-2 punch in their backfield. Ray Rice has emerged this season and is leading the NFL in yards from scrimmage. Willis McGahee is no slouch either as he is a good red zone RB. They also have 2nd year FB John McClain who is great at short yardage and catching out of the backfield. I know the Broncos are top 10 in rush defense, but they will have their hands full with this Ravens rushing attack.

No doubt, while I believe the Ravens are beatable they are still very capable of beating the Broncos.

NightTrainLayne
10-23-2009, 09:59 AM
We should be able to move the ball and score on their defense. They're just not the same old Raven D. Minnesota and Cincinatti both moved the ball pretty well.

But their offense isn't that great. Cincinatti held their offense to 7 points, and Minnesota is just terrible defensively, but even the Vikings held them pretty well until the 4th quarter.

TXBRONC
10-23-2009, 02:17 PM
We should be able to move the ball and score on their defense. They're just not the same old Raven D. Minnesota and Cincinatti both moved the ball pretty well.

But their offense isn't that great. Cincinatti held their offense to 7 points, and Minnesota is just terrible defensively, but even the Vikings held them pretty well until the 4th quarter.

Something that Chaz pointed out in a different thread was that if the Vikings secondary hadn't missed all those tackles the Vikings probably win that game handily.

rcsodak
10-25-2009, 10:43 PM

Nothing like timing....

I imagine Balti will be playing pissed off and with a chip on their shoulders! Teams struggle there for a reason. They play better at home, and Lewis will be feeding off the crowd. NOT good news.

And Jr....isn't Balti in the North and NE in the East? :confused:

red98
10-25-2009, 10:48 PM

JR have some faith in McKid! It will be brutal but we will win by 17.

Poet
10-25-2009, 10:52 PM
I promise you that their secondary is unable to stop a single dominant WR. Ocho Cinco and Hines Ward have cut their teeth and made their living by abusing Baltimore. Watching Foxworth cover anyone is like watching a midget try to dunk on Shaq.

If you contain Ray Rice you win. The Ravens don't have any real offensive threats. Mason is still a good player but if Leon Hall can blank him Champ will too. Todd Heap used to be a guy who was one of the best TEs in the game. Now....he's...average.

The Ravens will be out of the playoff race by then.

ikillz0mbies
10-25-2009, 11:22 PM
I promise you that their secondary is unable to stop a single dominant WR. Ocho Cinco and Hines Ward have cut their teeth and made their living by abusing Baltimore. Watching Foxworth cover anyone is like watching a midget try to dunk on Shaq.

If you contain Ray Rice you win. The Ravens don't have any real offensive threats. Mason is still a good player but if Leon Hall can blank him Champ will too. Todd Heap used to be a guy who was one of the best TEs in the game. Now....he's...average.

Great analysis. The Ravens do have a much better offense this year, but they have no playmaker outside Flacco and Rice. The defense can blitz all they want, but with the Broncos offense designed for crossing routes, screen plays, and short, quick passes, they can beat Baltimore.

TXBRONC
10-26-2009, 08:25 AM

I hope it works out that way but I still see a formidable opponent in front of us.

Poet
10-26-2009, 12:38 PM
I hope it works out that way but I still see a forminable opponent in front of us.

They won't roll over and die for you, but I think you'll win with some comfort. It used to be that the defense was just filled with Pro Bowlers and if a stud player left the team they were instantly replaced.

The only elite talent that is under 30 for the Raven's D is Ngata and Suggs.

That defense is not the same.

gobroncsnv
10-26-2009, 10:53 PM
First game of the season, KC put up a TON of points against them, but couldn't keep the Crows from scoring 2 tons. Looked like a flippin' basketball score. Yeah, they've changed, for the worse. No point in taking them lightly, and they darn sure could win, but so could we. Another thread has an article from the Post showing McD thinking we'll need to play rough. Kind of think I agree with him, we'll need to bring it all game long.