View Full Version : Broncos' Orton not concerned about Cutler's new deal

Lonestar
10-22-2009, 11:08 AM
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 10/22/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 10/22/2009 01:35:31 AM MDT

Don't get any ideas.

Just because the Chicago Bears gave Jay Cutler a two-year contract extension worth $30 million doesn't mean the Broncos will initiate in-season discussions on a new deal with quarterback Kyle Orton.

Yes, Orton has outperformed Cutler, the man he was traded for (along with draft picks) during the offseason. And yes, Orton is in the final year of a contract that is paying him a mere $995,000 this year.

And sure, Orton would eventually like a long-term deal that would keep him the Broncos' quarterback until the end of his career. But Orton said the only time he thinks about his contract situation is when people ask him about it.

"Those discussions are for the Broncos or for my agent," Orton said. "I'm not worried about that stuff."

The Bears had little choice but to invest in Cutler because they had already surrendered their future to acquire him. Besides Orton, the Bears also gave the Broncos two first- round draft picks and a third-rounder.

Denver coach Josh McDaniels has been preaching that despite the 6-0 start, nothing yet has been accomplished. Giving a player a new contract six games into the season would be like handing a bounty hunter the reward money before his capture.

McDaniels has also instilled through his handling of the Cutler and Brandon Marshall sagas that no player is bigger than the team. Orton is in the final year of his contract, but so is Elvis Dumervil, who leads the NFL with 10 sacks, as well as starting guards Ben Hamilton and Chris Kuper, tight end Tony Scheffler and Marshall.

Mike Klis:
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13613940

T.K.O.
10-22-2009, 11:36 AM
orton has his head on straight......refreshing!
when ( no longer if? )we make the playoffs ,we absolutely need to lock up doom,orton,hamilton,marshall and kuper......in that order !:beer:

Lonestar
10-22-2009, 11:46 AM
orton has his head on straight......refreshing!
when ( no longer if? )we make the playoffs ,we absolutely need to lock up doom,orton,hamilton,marshall and kuper......in that order !:beer:

hamilton is a liability against the bigger DL's he can mosey down the road unless he wants to be a backup OG and maybe center at a reduced discounted price.... we need more beef there..

we need to keep the rest unless they want the moon and if they do they become RFA and we get draft choices for them..

Buff
10-22-2009, 11:50 AM
hamilton is a liability against the bigger DL's he can mosey down the road unless he wants to be a backup OG and maybe center at a reduced discounted price.... we need more beef there..

we need to keep the rest unless they want the moon and if they do they become RFA and we get draft choices for them..

I think Hamilton and Wiegmann are both effective players, but they get exposed in short yardage because they are both undersized and play right next to one another... I think if either one of them were paired with bigger players they'd be fine, but the combo of the two is a liability.

SOCALORADO.
10-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Orton is in the final year of his contract, but so is Elvis Dumervil, who leads the NFL with 10 sacks, as well as starting guards Ben Hamilton and Chris Kuper, tight end Tony Scheffler and Marshall.

Jeez, Bowlen and the FO has its work cut out for them!
DEN absolutely HAS to get these guys re-signed!!!!
ALL OF THEM!!!
I also have heard rumors of re-working or extending champs contract, but jeez, maybe he could just take one for the team, and let it go so these guys all can get signed.

T.K.O.
10-22-2009, 11:55 AM
i'd like to think that by the end of the year orton and marshall will have developed a great frienship and chemistry (winning the superbowl together and all) and they will both be willing to stay at a reasonable price .if for no other reason than they realize the great potential both of their careers have in denver !
and doom is a no brainer he is a perfect example of a "team first" class act who gives 110% every week !no way we let him get away:salute:

SOCALORADO.
10-22-2009, 11:55 AM
I think Hamilton and Wiegmann are both effective players, but they get exposed in short yardage because they are both undersized and play right next to one another... I think if either one of them were paired with bigger players they'd be fine, but the combo of the two is a liability.

I think this is it for Wiegmann. So its BaronVonLichtenshteiner or another new drafted center.

Lonestar
10-22-2009, 11:57 AM

hamilton has played on skates for most of his career, of the OLINE guys that you will find back next to the QB he is numero uno on the list for allowing penetration.. time for him in a back up mode at a huge reduction in pay..

Buff
10-22-2009, 11:57 AM
I think this is it for Wiegmann. So its BaronVonLichtenshteiner or another new drafted center.

Lichtensteigervannostronberg got cut during camp if I recall correctly. So it won't be him.

Buff
10-22-2009, 12:00 PM
hamilton has played on skates for most of his career, of the OLINE guys that you will find back next to the QB he is numero uno on the list for allowing penetration.. time for him in a back up mode at a huge reduction in pay..

Completely disagree. There was a time not too long ago when he was consistantly grading out as our second best lineman behind Nails. He's getting on in years and we've upgraded our tackles, so he's not as valuable as he once was... But I wouldn't say he's been a liability for most of his career by any means.

SOCALORADO.
10-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Lichtensteigervannostronberg got cut during camp if I recall correctly. So it won't be him.

Ugh. So a new center. Sounds good.

T.K.O.
10-22-2009, 12:02 PM
if they are working on extending champ's deal it likely that he IS taking one for the team.....he might be due a huge chunk O' change and is willing to stretch it out so we can sign younger guys like doom etc...
champ knows the rings are coming in the next 3 years....he wants to be here when they do!

Lonestar
10-22-2009, 12:04 PM
Completely disagree. There was a time not too long ago when he was consistantly grading out as our second best lineman behind Nails. He's getting on in years and we've upgraded our tackles, so he's not as valuable as he once was... But I wouldn't say he's been a liability for most of his career by any means.

well he is the one that winds up next to the QB more than anyone else.. just because we have not have a stellar OLINE until Clady came along in pass protection he IMO is not all that..

time for him to mosey along..

SOCALORADO.
10-22-2009, 12:06 PM
well he is the one that winds up next to the QB more than anyone else.. just because we have not have a stellar OLINE until Clady came along in pass protection he IMO is not all that..

time for him to mosey along..

.....And get this guy!

Kristofer O'Dowd*, USC
Height: 6-5. Weight: 298.
Projected 40 Time: 5.07.
Projected Round (2010): 1st.
2/11/09: No one should blame Kris O'Dowd if he comes out early; he'd be the top center prospect in the 2010 NFL Draft. He was an All-Pac 10 first-teamer as a sophomore.

T.K.O.
10-22-2009, 12:22 PM
i heard the "experts " saying how aaron rodgers was playing at an elite level this year....he is on pace to throw 26 td's and 4600 yds etc....
i just did the math and thought it worth mentioning that our own Kyle Orton is on pace to throw 24 td's and 3900+ yds with 2-3 int's
currently orton ranks 7th in the league ,throwing for more yards than notables like
brees,warner,eli manning,palmer,rodgers,farve and even wonderboy matt ryan.
not bad for a "noodle arm" 2nd tier qb who cant throw the ball more than 15 yards with the wind at his back:laugh:
i,m not trying to start any debates just pointing out that orton is ALOT better than he was given credit for, or the chance to prove, in chicago.
and i think it will be important for us all to remember (through the dizzying glow of starting 6-0 ) that even if he faulters later in the season that we need to give him at least another year to prove what he can do.
none of us (even myself ) thought we would be this good this fast.
so we cant get all crazy if we have a let down.we as fans cant start thinking superbowl or its a wasted season.
i'm not saying i anticipate a collapse,in fact i think we will continue to improve,but there are alot of very good teams that will be in the way and this "project" is still very young.....just learning to walk before it runs !:salute:

T.K.O.
10-22-2009, 12:26 PM
.....And get this guy!

Kristofer O'Dowd*, USC
Projected Round (2010): 1st.
2/11/09: No one should blame Kris O'Dowd if he comes out early; he'd be the top center prospect in the 2010 NFL Draft. He was an All-Pac 10 first-teamer as a sophomore.

we can grab him with our #8 pick from "duh bears";)

Denver Native (Carol)
10-22-2009, 12:35 PM
i'd like to think that by the end of the year orton and marshall will have developed a great frienship and chemistry (winning the superbowl together and all) and they will both be willing to stay at a reasonable price .if for no other reason than they realize the great potential both of their careers have in denver !
and doom is a no brainer he is a perfect example of a "team first" class act who gives 110% every week !no way we let him get away:salute:

Yesterday on NFL Live, Trey Wingo, Mark Schlereth and Herm Edwards had Brandon on the phone, and he had nothing but praise for Kyle. I keep trying to find the conversation on espn, as Brandon was great, and they ask him about how he has turned his life around, as far as off the field. Would be great if someone could find the link to the conversation.

T.K.O.
10-22-2009, 01:16 PM
USA Today: Kyle Orton better than Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger?
Reply Quote

Would it be fair to assemble a ranking of the league's best quarterbacks that doesn't include Tom Brady or Ben Roethlisberger in the top five?

That's what former NFL QB and current ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer did on Tuesday. He argued that both Roethlisberger and Brady, who've won five Super Bowls between them, are on the outside of the five best signal callers through six weeks.

Dilfer dutifully noted that he was evaluating the players only on their performances thus far this season (and allowed that the rankings are likely to change). But he shook up the pantheon of elite quarterbacks by placing Kyle Orton, cast aside as an afterthought in Chicago just two seasons ago, in the top five:

1. Peyton Manning
2. Drew Brees
3. Eli Manning
4. Brett Favre
5. Kyle Orton

"This is a bottom-line business," Dilfer said in an appearance on SportsCenter. "And if we're going to judge coaches harshly and we're going to knee-jerk react early in the season when people win and lose, then I'm going to evaluate the quarterback position on one thing and one thing only: Do you win football games?"

The quarterbacks in Dilfer's top five have a collective record of 27-1.

Orton's career has taken off since he arrived in Denver with coach Josh McDaniels in the trade that sent Jay Cutler to Chicago. He has thrown nine TDs and just one INT (picked off by Randy Moss on a Hail Mary pass) while registering a 100.1 passer rating.

Why does he rank above Brady and Roethlisberger?

"He's getting better each week," Dilfer said. Orton isn't making mistakes, and that alone is projecting him above signal callers whose lapses tend to hurt their teams.

"This is a guy who has identified some issues that plagued him earlier in his career, and he's fixed them," Dilfer said.

The second half of Dilfer's top 10:

6. Aaron Rodgers
7. Ben Roethlisberger
8. Joe Flacco
9. Tom Brady
10. Carson Palmer

Notably missing from the list: Tony Romo, Kurt Warner, Philip Rivers and Donovan McNabb, and Cutler. All five of them were on USA TODAY's QB power rankings that my colleague Nate Davis assembled at the beginning of the season. -- Sean Leahy

jhildebrand
10-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Orton says all the right things! I love that. It is clear it is genuine, too. Orton knows this is the absolutely best place for him to be and will work it out to be here.

Nice!

broncophan
10-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Yesterday on NFL Live, Trey Wingo, Mark Schlereth and Herm Edwards had Brandon on the phone, and he had nothing but praise for Kyle. I keep trying to find the conversation on espn, as Brandon was great, and they ask him about how he has turned his life around, as far as off the field. Would be great if someone could find the link to the conversation.

Yea.....I saw that as well.............he was calling Orton "Bossman"......etc....had alot of good things to say about McD as well.

I hope we sign the players mentioned.......I just don't trust Marshall though.....even though he has been saying all the right things lately.
He will ask for alot of money(obviously), and imo....he would leave in a heartbeat......although I guess you could say that about alot of players....but with all the crap he has pulled I just don't trust him.

Hell......he may even look for a kickball league to join....if the money is right....:D

Denver Native (Carol)
10-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Yea.....I saw that as well.............he was calling Orton "Bossman"......etc....had alot of good things to say about McD as well.

I hope we sign the players mentioned.......I just don't trust Marshall though.....even though he has been saying all the right things lately.
He will ask for alot of money(obviously), and imo....he would leave in a heartbeat......although I guess you could say that about alot of players....but with all the crap he has pulled I just don't trust him.

Hell......he may even look for a kickball league to join....if the money is right....:D

I may be wrong, but I don't think that Brandon now would leave in a heartbeat.

Buff
10-22-2009, 01:58 PM

I agree completely about Marshall. Part of me wants to believe that he is just young and learning as he goes... That everything we've seen has been genuine and he is legitimately trying to do the right things now...

But on the other hand, it wouldn't be hard for him to just follow the advice of his agent and publicist to say all the right things for a few months so that he can get his large payday--wherever that may be... One thing that stuck out to me is how he went and worked out with Rod Smith. Prior to this season, we had heard about how Rod tried to take him under his wing before but B-Marsh resisted. It just seemed like interesting timing that all of the sudden after his suspension he's suddenly embracing Rod Smith, he's hugging his coach at the press conference, etc.

I hope that I'm just being overly cynical... But it's hard for me to fully trust Brandon still.

broncophan
10-22-2009, 02:00 PM
I may be wrong, but I don't think that Brandon now would leave in a heartbeat.

I hope you are right.....I want him signed.....
.....I never thought he would do something like kicking the ball like he did the other night.....and he was about ready to go after a defender after getting knocked out of bounds the other night as well......but Stokely stepped in (again).....and probably saved another penalty......

broncophan
10-22-2009, 02:05 PM
I agree completely about Marshall. Part of me wants to believe that he is just young and learning as he goes... That everything we've seen has been genuine and he is legitimately trying to do the right things now...

But on the other hand, it wouldn't be hard for him to just follow the advice of his agent and publicist to say all the right things for a few months so that he can get his large payday--wherever that may be... One thing that stuck out to me is how he went and worked out with Rod Smith. Prior to this season, we had heard about how Rod tried to take him under his wing before but B-Marsh resisted. It just seemed like interesting timing that all of the sudden after his suspension he's suddenly embracing Rod Smith, he's hugging his coach at the press conference, etc.

I hope that I'm just being overly cynical... But it's hard for me to fully trust Brandon still.

Exactly what I am thinking......the guy will make alot of money somewhere......I just hope it is in Denver...

Slick
10-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Hamilton plays better in the zone block scheme. He isn't as effective when he's not. I wouldn't be surprised to see them cut ties at the end of the season and go for a guard that is a little bigger, unless they plan to move him to center when Casey hangs it up.

Lonestar
10-22-2009, 03:46 PM
FWIW about marshall he has been doing and saying all the right things when he is conscious of what he is doing..

that little ball kicking incident IMHO shows that he has not turned over a new leaf yet.. there is anger and bitterness deep down inside just waiting for a chance to rear it ugly head..

I hope they can work out a deal for him as he is special but then so was a few other divas. TO coming to mind first and foremost.. a me person at best..

can Baby TO transform himself into Rod for the rest of his career .. that seems to be the 60 million dollar question.. or will he just want the money..

I guess we will see soon enough..

T.K.O.
10-22-2009, 05:31 PM
bowlen already said that brandon was playing his way to a substantial raise....i'm sure the f.o. is aware of the value of a reciever of his caliber,combine that with what looks like a playoff season (dare i say ....or more)
i dont think marshall will be wanting to rush off to another team.
we will be able to offer him a pretty sweet deal:beer:

broncophan
10-22-2009, 07:47 PM
bowlen already said that brandon was playing his way to a substantial raise....i'm sure the f.o. is aware of the value of a reciever of his caliber,combine that with what looks like a playoff season (dare i say ....or more)

I have a feeling "substantial raise" means 2 completely different things to Bowlen and Marshalls agent..

frauschieze
10-22-2009, 08:30 PM

But Bowlen did not say that the substantial raise would be from Denver. Things that go unsaid are sometimes just as important as the things that are said.

Lonestar
10-22-2009, 08:35 PM
But Bowlen did not say that the substantial raise would be from Denver. Things that go unsaid are sometimes just as important as the things that are said.

that was how I got it.. he will get a raise next year from someone.. and most likely we will get a first and a third from it..

Dreadnought
10-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Orton is in the final year of his contract, but so is Elvis Dumervil, who leads the NFL with 10 sacks, as well as starting guards Ben Hamilton and Chris Kuper, tight end Tony Scheffler and Marshall.

Jeez, Bowlen and the FO has its work cut out for them!
DEN absolutely HAS to get these guys re-signed!!!!
ALL OF THEM!!!
I also have heard rumors of re-working or extending champs contract, but jeez, maybe he could just take one for the team, and let it go so these guys all can get signed.

Agreed 100%. If we have to let one go, Hamilton I guess, but all of the others need to be long term Broncos. They've earned their $, so pay 'em.

T.K.O.
10-22-2009, 09:12 PM

oh come on now....thats just stirin' the pot.
i doubt bowlen was speaking for other teams......he would'nt say boy he's playing well.....someone will want to pay him what he's worth:lol:

T.K.O.
10-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said Josh McDaniels is maturing into the head coach he expected him to be and that WR Brandon Marshall is playing himself into a “significant raise.”

“Brandon understands that he’s got a year left on his present deal, but if he keeps playing the way he is, he’s going to get a very significant raise — a much better contract,” Bowlen said Tuesday at the NFL Fall League Meeting. “That’s the way it goes, and Brandon has accepted that.”

i dont think bowlen was acting as marshalls agent...he was obviously talking about a re-negotiation of his current deal
a raise is something an employer can give.....not a new employer.

so there is nothing to read between the lines here

frauschieze
10-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said Josh McDaniels is maturing into the head coach he expected him to be and that WR Brandon Marshall is playing himself into a “significant raise.”

“Brandon understands that he’s got a year left on his present deal, but if he keeps playing the way he is, he’s going to get a very significant raise — a much better contract,” Bowlen said Tuesday at the NFL Fall League Meeting. “That’s the way it goes, and Brandon has accepted that.”

i dont think bowlen was acting as marshalls agent...he was obviously talking about a re-negotiation of his current deal

You're making assumptions. If you take what Pat said at face value, it could just as easily mean Marshall will end up elsewhere. Marshall's contract, no matter who it's with, depends on how he plays this season.

Remember the rumor that Pat said he'd try to accommodate Marshall's request for a trade?......

I don't think Bowlen was saying Marshall wouldn't be here next year. But I can't take it to mean he will be either. The statement is perfectly ambiguous.

FWIW, I hope Marshall does stay with the Broncos.

Lonestar
10-22-2009, 09:27 PM

a raise is something an employer can give.....not a new employer.

so there is nothing to read between the lines here

that explains it..:laugh:

T.K.O.
10-22-2009, 09:29 PM
ok....but ....no.
a raise is something an employer gives.

TXBRONC
10-22-2009, 09:35 PM
Agreed 100%. If we have to let one go, Hamilton I guess, but all of the others need to be long term Broncos. They've earned their $, so pay 'em.

I don't think Wiegmann will being in Denver very long either.

frauschieze
10-22-2009, 09:42 PM
ok....but ....no.
a raise is something an employer gives.

A raise in this case, as Bowlen clarified, means "a much better contract".

If a new CBA is signed, Marshall will be a restricted free agent, and you can bet there will be all kinds of "raises" offered by other teams; raises the Broncos have the option , but not the obligation, to match.

Even if the CBA is not signed, the Broncos CAN negotiate a raise as part of a trade with another team. Or they can just trade him away, and let the other team negotiate the raise (which you can bet they will do, after trading to get him there; they will want him happy).

The Broncos can negotiate with Marshall and try to keep him here (regardless of CBA status).

OR, they could even decide to franchise or transition tag him after the end of the season.

All of these scenarios are possible given what Bowlen said. All of these scenarios would result in Marshall receiving a raise, likely a very significant one, especially if he plays well.

I honestly think the phrasing is a way for Bowlen to cover his ass. Maybe he has every intention of going for option 3 and keeping him here, but if he's ambiguous, then no matter what the ultimate game plan is, he's been completely honest.

And who knows what will happen now that we look like we could compete for the Lombardi? The possibility of winning the Super Bowl has changed more than a few players minds on money and contract issues.....

dogfish
10-22-2009, 10:23 PM

hamilton's gone after this year, that should just be a given. . . no WAY we're going to shell out any kind of substantial money for a guy his age who doesn't fit the scheme, when we've got five younger and more talented players hitting free agency the same year. . . he doesn't play a premier position, good OGs are often found in rounds 3-5 of the draft, and we already have a potential replacement on the roster-- last year's 4th rounder, seth olsen. . .

with both of our guards potentially hitting free agency, and weigman's age, we're almost certainly going to be looking at a different interior OL next year. . . add in our struggles in converting short yardage situations, and i'd say there's a very good chance we'll be spending one of our top three picks on an interior lineman-- somebody like kris o'dowd or mike iupati, or possibly mike johnson from alabama, jon asamoah from illinois, or matt tennant of boston college. . . anybody who's seen mcdaniels' face on the sidelines when we get stuffed on 3rd-and-1 should understand that he's going to make it a priority. . .

i would say scheffler's also gone after the season, as much as it pains me-- we have graham, and we just spent a 2nd on quinn-- kuper is obviously a priority over hamilton, and i suppose we may as well call him 50/50 to come back. . . i would guess that marshall, dumervil and orton would be the top priorities, but we'll see. . . if mcdaniels really is the QB whisperer, which it does look like, then maybe he thinks he can mold brandstater into a guy that can do what orton's been doing. . . and maybe we do decide to not take the risk on marshall, although i myself suspect that we will if he can get through the season without any sort of major meltdown. . .

in any case, i think now would be a good time for people to just suck it up and accept that we're NOT going to be able to pay all of these guys short of some bigtime hometown discounts being accepted, which is pretty damn unlikely. . . i'll be happy if we can keep three out of the five big names (orton, marshall, doom, kupes and chef), realistically. . . and i think it's close to a foregone conclusion that we'll see the franchise tag applied to one of those guys next year, assuming that a new CBA is indeed signed-- if it's not, then we're homefree for another year. . . but if it is signed, it's probably gonna get a little ugly for us fans, because somebody ain't comin' back. . . it'll be interesting to see how the FO approaches it, and who gets top priority. . .

frenchfan
10-23-2009, 01:59 AM
Orton says all the right things! I love that. It is clear it is genuine, too. Orton knows this is the absolutely best place for him to be and will work it out to be here.

Nice!That's why I'm sure a good deal for both could be made... IMO, if it goes on like that, Kyle will have a good contrat (but not a blockbuster like some other QB).

Broncos could save some money to invest on other players... So good deal for Broncos

Orton would have good money and also keep some players around to help him winning... He knows it's the best way for him to have a ring... He knows Denver is a great place for him (which couldn't be the case with other teams ;))...

IMO, it's a win-win situation... Pay this guy some good money, but not too much : don't kill salary cap !
That would be the best deal for us fans ;)
I really like Kyle as our QB but also with the players we have around ;)

Go Broncos :beer:

SOCALORADO.
10-23-2009, 09:10 AM
hamilton's gone after this year, that should just be a given. . . no WAY we're going to shell out any kind of substantial money for a guy his age who doesn't fit the scheme, when we've got five younger and more talented players hitting free agency the same year. . . he doesn't play a premier position, good OGs are often found in rounds 3-5 of the draft, and we already have a potential replacement on the roster-- last year's 4th rounder, seth olsen. . .

with both of our guards potentially hitting free agency, and weigman's age, we're almost certainly going to be looking at a different interior OL next year. . . add in our struggles in converting short yardage situations, and i'd say there's a very good chance we'll be spending one of our top three picks on an interior lineman-- somebody like kris o'dowd or mike iupati, or possibly mike johnson from alabama, jon asamoah from illinois, or matt tennant of boston college. . . anybody who's seen mcdaniels' face on the sidelines when we get stuffed on 3rd-and-1 should understand that he's going to make it a priority. . .

i would say scheffler's also gone after the season, as much as it pains me-- we have graham, and we just spent a 2nd on quinn-- kuper is obviously a priority over hamilton, and i suppose we may as well call him 50/50 to come back. . . i would guess that marshall, dumervil and orton would be the top priorities, but we'll see. . . if mcdaniels really is the QB whisperer, which it does look like, then maybe he thinks he can mold brandstater into a guy that can do what orton's been doing. . . and maybe we do decide to not take the risk on marshall, although i myself suspect that we will if he can get through the season without any sort of major meltdown. . .

in any case, i think now would be a good time for people to just suck it up and accept that we're NOT going to be able to pay all of these guys short of some bigtime hometown discounts being accepted, which is pretty damn unlikely. . . i'll be happy if we can keep three out of the five big names (orton, marshall, doom, kupes and chef), realistically. . . and i think it's close to a foregone conclusion that we'll see the franchise tag applied to one of those guys next year, assuming that a new CBA is indeed signed-- if it's not, then we're homefree for another year. . . but if it is signed, it's probably gonna get a little ugly for us fans, because somebody ain't comin' back. . . it'll be interesting to see how the FO approaches it, and who gets top priority. . .

Shut up. JUST SHUT UP!!!!!
WE WILL FIND THE $$$$ AND WE WILL SIGN THEM AND THEN WE WILL WE
WILL, WE.....we.......i lost my thought. nevermind.

SOCALORADO.
10-23-2009, 09:50 AM

Hows this?
1. C Kristofer O'Dowd*, USC
Projected Round (2010): Top 25 Pick.
2. NT Boo Robinson, Wake Forest
Height: 6-2. Weight: 326.
Projected 40 Time: 5.22.
Projected Round (2010): 2-3.
2/14/09: A monstrous nose tackle who compiled six TFL and five sacks. Somehow just an All-ACC honorable mention.
3. DE C.J. Wilson, East Carolina
Height: 6-4. Weight: 271.
Projected 40 Time: 4.78.
Projected Round (2010): 3.
2/12/09: A monstrous defensive end who was voted to the All-Conference USA First Team. C.J. Wilson garnered 18.5 TFL and 10.5 sacks as a junior.
4 LB Antonio Coleman, Auburn
Height: 6-2. Weight: 250.
Projected 40 Time: 4.74.
Projected Round (2010): 4.
2/12/09: A 3-4 linebacker at the next level, Antonio Coleman had 46 tackles, 10.5 TFL and six sacks in 2008.
5.TE Aaron Hernandez*, Florida
Height: 6-3. Weight: 250.
Projected 40 Time: 4.56.
Projected Round (2010): 5-6.
2/8/09: Aaron Hernandez finished his sophomore campaign with 34 receptions, 381 yards and five touchdowns. He'll be the go-to tight end next year, and may choose to declare with Tim Tebow.
6 OT Kyle Calloway, Iowa
Height: 6-7. Weight: 315.
Projected 40 Time: 5.22.
Projected Round (2010): 6.
2/9/09: A right tackle at the next level, Kyle Calloway as an All-Big Ten second-teamer.
7 OG Shelley Smith, Colorado State
Height: 6-4. Weight: 295.
Projected 40 Time: 5.08.
Projected Round (2009): 7.
2/10/09: Isn't Shelley Smith a female sideline reporter for ESPN? At any rate, this Shelley Smith was an All-Mountain West second-teamer. He didn't surrender a sack or get whistled for a single penalty all year.