PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels gives Broncos big break

Lonestar
10-21-2009, 10:17 PM
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post

Posted: 10/21/2009 02:55:36 PM MDT
Updated: 10/21/2009 03:23:32 PM MDT

As if a 3-1/2-game lead in the AFC West and a perfect 6-0 record weren't good enough, the Broncos players got more good news: almost five full days off.

Players came to Dove Valley this morning for some meetings and to watch film from Monday's 34-23 win at San Diego but were released by lunch time, free to go wherever they please over the bye week.

They will return to team headquarters Monday to start preparing for their Nov. 1 game at Baltimore.

"We made some corrections on the film, but we didn't feel like it was in our best interest to go out there and do a lot of practicing this week so we didn't," coach Josh McDaniels said today. "We want to give them a few days to get their minds off football, and get refocused and ready to go."

Coaches will work for a couple of more days before taking a day or two off at the end of the week.

"This is the last one," McDaniels said. "It's kind of like your last breath before the stretch here."

Coaches have six week's worth of game tape to evaluate over the next couple of days, enough to help determine what they need to fix for the final 10 games. McDaniels said one of the team's main goals for when their season resumes is to play better in the first half. While the Broncos have been stellar offensively and defensively in the second half, they have been outscored 36-24 in the first quarter so far this season and have trailed at halftime in each of the past three games.

"You take a look at what we've done, some of the tendencies we've created our selves that we want to change and adjust going forward," McDaniels said. "I think it's important that you try to protect yourself from becoming predictable, and that's part of the process this week. Hopefully we're not too predictable this week, but we're going to try to change the things we need to change, and fix the things that need to be fixed."

Lindsay H. Jones:
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13610398

Denver Native (Carol)
10-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Video from today - Coach is not only talking about Bye Week, but also how the team was put together, how players are utilized - he explains a lot about the team and his thoughts on doing different things.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/ under video&audio a little over 35 mins., but WELL WORTH IT

dogfish
10-21-2009, 10:52 PM
geez. . .

man, were my initial impressions of mcdaniels wrong! it just seems like he's pushing ll the right buttons so far-- i love the things i'm hearing about his approach. . . he worked them hard in TC, and it's paid off in spades. . . and after all their hard work pays off with a perfect record, he rewards them with the week off, with the caveat that we've got more work to do when ya get back. . .

it's not like he's reinventing the wheel or anything-- lots of coaches give their guys the bye week off-- but i just get the feeling that they wouldn't have gotten it if we weren't playing well, which makes all the difference. . .

TXBRONC
10-21-2009, 11:00 PM
geez. . .

man, were my initial impressions of mcdaniels wrong! it just seems like he's pushing ll the right buttons so far-- i love the things i'm hearing about his approach. . . he worked them hard in TC, and it's paid off in spades. . . and after all their hard work pays off with a perfect record, he rewards them with the week off, with the caveat that we've got more work to do when ya get back. . .

it's not like he's reinventing the wheel or anything-- lots of coaches give their guys the bye week off-- but i just get the feeling that they wouldn't have gotten it if we weren't playing well, which makes all the difference. . .

I have to admit McDaniels is doing a great job.

EastCoastBronco
10-22-2009, 07:17 AM
"You take a look at what we've done, some of the tendencies we've created our selves that we want to change and adjust going forward," McDaniels said. "I think it's important that you try to protect yourself from becoming predictable, and that's part of the process this week. Hopefully we're not too predictable this week, but we're going to try to change the things we need to change, and fix the things that need to be fixed."

This is why we are better this year. Remove the predictablilty factor and teams have no idea how to really prepare for you.

Dirk
10-22-2009, 07:22 AM
What will be great is when the offense is firing on all cylinders and other teams know what we are going to do and just can't stop us. :salute:

Overtime
10-22-2009, 10:30 AM
didn't realize it till last night, but I'm wondering why we didn't use the Wildhorses Formation against San Diego???

I doubt we'll use it against Baltimore as they effectively shut it down against Miami in the playoffs last year, just food for thought.

Lonestar
10-22-2009, 10:31 AM
didn't realize it till last night, but I'm wondering why we didn't use the Wildhorses Formation against San Diego???

I doubt we'll use it against Baltimore as they effectively shut it down against Miami in the playoffs last year, just food for thought.

they were playing a defense that did not try to disguise anything unlike NE..

I suspect that was the reason..

T.K.O.
10-22-2009, 10:40 AM
didn't realize it till last night, but I'm wondering why we didn't use the Wildhorses Formation against San Diego??? I doubt we'll use it against Baltimore as they effectively shut it down against Miami in the playoffs last year, just food for thought.

because thats what they were expecting us to do......muhwahahahahaha(evil mcD laugh)

jrelway
10-22-2009, 10:57 AM
well deserved break for the players. lets heal and rest up so we can beat them ratbirds down!

underrated29
10-22-2009, 10:59 AM
good get rid of the predictability. Stop running your stupid guard pull trap play. It is like the only run we do. Yes, i saw a couple toss plays here and there which was great, but we were still pulling and trapping. Those plays take too much time to develop and should be used once in a while. NOt every run play we have.

Our guys are buillt ZBS- let them do what their strengths are.

And stop running the stupid trap on short yardage. GAAWWDDD i hate that call.

Runa slam right up the gut. Or an off tackle, a sweep, anything but this run right cut left behind the the LT/RT and hope the other guard gets there before hammy or weigman get blown up.

I think he notices this. I suspect, even against a VERY tough ravens D that the run game might look a little less predictable and a little better.

Tned
10-22-2009, 12:39 PM

In addition to what Jr said, it was put in as a 'surprise' and wasn't very effective running the ball after the first few plays. If they decided to pull it out again later in the year, they really need to tweak it some.

Lonestar
10-22-2009, 03:54 PM
In addition to what Jr said, it was put in as a 'surprise' and wasn't very effective running the ball after the first few plays. If they decided to pull it out again later in the year, they really need to tweak it some.

as I understand it it was used to force the D to commit one way or the other..

after Bill made adjustments it was not effective at all and IIRC not used more than a couple times after that..

we will see different looks on D and O all year depending on what they try to dictate to us.. and then we will make adjustments on the fly..

almost like sandlot football where the QB draws the play in the sand each time to confuse or take advantage of the defense..

TXBRONC
10-22-2009, 05:35 PM

When it's either a run up the middle or the quarterback motions back under center sooner or later a defense is going to catch on.

Timmy!
10-22-2009, 06:47 PM
Hopefully they figure out a way to run in short yardage situations....it's pretty much my only complaint so far.