PDA

View Full Version : Analysis: Broncos' Dumervil showed nation what he can do Monday night

TXBRONC
10-21-2009, 01:33 PM
The man just has a nose for the ball.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13603220

broncos premium
Analysis: Broncos' Dumervil showed nation what he can do Monday night
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 10/21/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Elvis has left the background.

Maybe enough so that his peers will finally give him a nod at season's end by voting him to play a Pro Bowl in his hometown. He can simply be accepted for what he is, which is a guy who happens to do what he does very well — despite what the tape measure says.

Stare at pass rushers heading into the draft each year and there is usually one mark-it-down item. That guys who sack the quarterback in college will usually find a way to sack the quarterback in the NFL.

So it's consistently intriguing to look at how Dumervil had back-to-back seasons of 30 sacks in a Miami high school league consistently filled with college hopefuls, yet many folks wondered if he could do that in Division -A football.

Then in his final season at Louisville, he led the nation with 20 sacks and, yes, folks wondered if he could do that in the NFL.

And yet, after 8.5 sacks as a Broncos rookie in 2006 and 12.5 in 2007, questions lingered and Pro Bowl votes were nowhere to be found as he was even tried inside at defensive tackle at times. He had five sacks last season.

When the Broncos switched to the 3-4 and players who were already in Denver were tossed into the unknown of learning new roles and new positions with new coaches, Dumervil dived in. He learned, he worked and now he flourishes.

As a work-in-progress outside linebacker, he leads the league in sacks with 10, is the first player to have 10 this fast since former Giants defensive end Michael Strahan set the league's single-season record of 22.5 in 2001 and is the Broncos game changer, a 5-foot-11, 248-pound momentum snatcher.

Monday night, Dumervil did his thing in front of the nation — he had a forced fumble and his fourth two-sack game of the season.

He plays with heart and wants to improve, and the Broncos have consistently let him play to his strengths.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

dogfish
10-21-2009, 02:08 PM
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7337/02729917.jpg (http://img19.imageshack.us/i/02729917.jpg/)

you're my boy, doom!

Brand
10-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Now maybe he will get more holding calls because teh NFL will want to groom Doom for stardum. Matt Light and the pad-grabbing holds should be about over.......

Lonestar
10-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Now maybe he will get more holding calls because teh NFL will want to groom Doom for stardum. Matt Light and the pad-grabbing holds should be about over.......

it all depends on which QB they are trying to project as a Star..:laugh:

:listen: remember all the latest rules are to protect the QB..

as long as he does not go for cheap hits, he should be OK..:salute:

Fan in Exile
10-21-2009, 03:28 PM
it all depends on which QB they are trying to project as a Star..:laugh:

:listen: remember all the latest rules are to protect the QB..

as long as he does not go for cheap hits, he should be OK..:salute:

That's why they should let Doom become the star pass rusher, because he's smaller and won't hurt them as much. :D

I forgot they put him inside at DT, what a mess.

TXBRONC
10-21-2009, 03:41 PM
That's why they should let Doom become the star pass rusher, because he's smaller and won't hurt them as much. :D

I forgot they put him inside at DT, what a mess.

They only tried that in camp for a day or two from what I remember.

dogfish
10-21-2009, 04:13 PM
They only tried that in camp for a day or two from what I remember.

i think you're right. . . still, what a cluster-- perfect example of why shanahan's post-super bowl teams rarely had anything resembling a pass rush. . . who the hell thought it would be a good idea to try a 5'11", 250 pound defensive end at tackle???

:noidea:

:lol:

my goodness, what a breath of fresh air it is to have an actual, competent NFL defensive coaching staff. . . .

SOCALORADO.
10-21-2009, 04:48 PM
i think you're right. . . still, what a cluster-- perfect example of why shanahan's post-super bowl teams rarely had anything resembling a pass rush. . . who the hell thought it would be a good idea to try a 5'11", 250 pound defensive end at tackle???

:noidea:

:lol:

my goodness, what a breath of fresh air it is to have an actual, competent NFL defensive coaching staff. . . .

Seriously.
How great was it watching him come from behind and with his big @$$ paw, grab Quivers shoulder pad and jump on his back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I swear, that @$$-kicking was LONG OVERDUE!!!!!!!!!

Dean
10-21-2009, 09:10 PM
My only regret is that we didn't re-sign him earlier. By the end of the season he will cost a king's ransom.

Lonestar
10-21-2009, 10:26 PM
My only regret is that we didn't re-sign him earlier. By the end of the season he will cost a king's ransom.

I get the feeling that many of the budding stars on here will give Josh a home town discount but will still be paid well.. excepting perhaps Clady and Kuper they all owe Josh for getting them onto a winning team..

I believe that people will play here for less that going to some dirt bag team that has NO chance at a Superbowl ring..

if money is all they want then perhaps this is not the right TEAM for them..

broncobryce
10-21-2009, 11:45 PM
I get the feeling that many of the budding stars on here will give Josh a home town discount but will still be paid well.. excepting perhaps Clady and Kuper they all owe Josh for getting them onto a winning team..

I believe that people will play here for less that going to some dirt bag team that has NO chance at a Superbowl ring..

if money is all they want then perhaps this is not the right TEAM for them..

See Jay Cutler

BCJ
10-22-2009, 12:25 AM
If it comes down to 22 sacks and last game to play (week 16 since our guys will be rested on #17), I hope he gets the record by earning it and not some phantom sack like the unretired Favre gave Strahan.

Lonestar
10-22-2009, 12:26 AM
See Jay Cutler

he had always dreamed about being a Bear from his childhood,

last year..:laugh: