MOtorboat
12-28-2007, 07:04 PM
See below:

Broncolingus
12-28-2007, 07:06 PM
Nice read, MB...thx.

Bronco9798
12-28-2007, 07:06 PM
Well done MB. Making the Freaks proud of short people.

MOtorboat
12-28-2007, 10:45 PM
Well...I tried to go in and edit it, and I messed it up, now it won't load...so I'll post it again...my bad...sorry folks.

Offseason Primer: Miami Dolphins

First of all, I’d like to say hello to all the BroncosForums readers. I love to write, and really appreciate the opportunity that the Forum and my fellow writers, the Wookie, Mntman, BigBLove, Dogfish, Dream, Medford and our editors TS and Jrwiz, are giving me. I’m going to start off with a series of “Offseason Primers,” things I think all the NFL teams need to do to improve their team.

I’ll start with the Dolphins since they are the bottom of the barrel and we’ll work our way up the draft order from there. I hope all of you enjoy my writing, here goes:

Man, do the Dolphins need some help. Their best move this offseason, in my opinion, has already happened. They decided to bring Bill Parcells on board. He won’t be coaching, and if you listen to what he’s been saying, he won’t be the general manager either. Personally, I think that’s hogwash. Bill is there to turn that team around, and I think he’s got a good shot of doing it. The problem he’s facing is that he has no talent on offense and aging talent on defense.

The “where to begin” question for the Dolphins is pretty vast, but you have to look no further than the quarterback position. They tried Trent Green — he’s too old, and probably too frail — they tried Cleo Lemon — he’s nothing but a career backup, plus he’s a free agent now, and if you’re the Dolphins, do you give him any money? I wouldn’t. They got rid of their best two options, in my opinion, and that was Duante Culpepper and Joey Harrington, two years ago, to try and “rebuild.” Last time I checked, rebuilding with a career backup and a 36-year-old probably isn’t a good idea.

So where does that lead them doubt, even if he does quit smoking the ganj, that Ricky Williams is not going to be a viable option. The question, now that we’ve seen Ronnie Brown miss significant time this season, is should the Dolphins look for a franchise back in the draft, again, after taking one just three years ago in Brown?

Well, Darren McFadden looks like the real deal, and with recent allegations that he was with an agent when the agent purchased an Escolade, you’d have to say he’s a definite to enter the NFL Draft in April, and that he’s a pretty sure No. 1 choice. Is he the right choice for the Dolphins? I think he is. In a division that has three teams well north of the Mason-Dixon line, Miami needs to be able to run the ball, and what better way to do it with a Ronnie Brown-Darren McFadden, 1-2 punch?

At wide receiver, the Dolphins also need some help – of course which position doesn’t need help on this team. They traded away their best receiver in Chris Chambers. Last year’s ill-advised pick of Ted Ginn, Jr., leaves this team devoid of a quality wide receiver. Unfortunately for the Dolphins, this wasn’t the only other ill-advised pick of a wide receiver, as they took Derek Hagan out of Arizona State in the third round in 2005, and he hasn’t panned out either.

Marty Booker has been serviceable in his career, but he’s not a No. 1, he’s more like a No. 3. The Dolphins are probably going to have to take a look at a wide receiver in the draft, and bring one in, in free agency, to make bolster this group, and give Beck some targets.

Vernon Carey has a lot of talent at left tackle, but it’s put up or shut up time for the fourth year pro. He struggled some this season, but with all of the other holes on the team, the Dolphins will probably have to stick it out with him for next season. Samson Satele, a second round pick two years ago out of Hawaii, looks toset at the return position, as Ted Ginn will probably be a very good return man in the NFL. Problem is, the value of the No. 9 pick should be higher than a solid return man.

Jay Feely is a very good kicker, and I would imagine the Dolphins will hold on to him. Brandon Fields is a middle-of-the-road punter, who I would imagine will be with the Dolphins against next season, as well.

Obviously, the Dolphins have a lot of work to do, that’s no secret. Making the right choice with the No. 1 pick and bringing in Bill Parcells to help change things up, will definitely help this team in the long run.

slim
12-28-2007, 10:50 PM
No need for the second post.

Nice work, btw.

BigDaddyBronco
12-28-2007, 11:06 PM
We need the NFL to be like English soccer and we could demote the Dolphins to the SEC or something.

MOtorboat
12-28-2007, 11:07 PM
We need the NFL to be like English soccer and we could demote the Dolphins to the SEC or something.

And promote LSU...not a bad idea.

Retired_Member_001
12-29-2007, 07:22 AM
Great article MissouriBronc!

The problem for the Dolphins is last years draft. Personally I think Ginn and Beck were wrong picks, and I think Quarterback and Wide Receiver are going to be problems for the Phins for years to come, because of last years draft.

I disagree with the Darren McFadden pick mainly because Ronnie Brown is their biggest offensive weapon. They already have a good running back so in my opinion they should look to strengthen other areas in the draft. I wouldn't be too suprised if they tried to fix their offense through FA and gave their defense some young talent through the draft (especially if Jason Taylor goes).

I agree about everything else though.

Retired_Member_001
12-29-2007, 07:23 AM

It would be interesting if things were like that wouldn't it? The bad teams would have something more to fight for, however if the worst NFL team got relegated it would change the draft a little bit.

MOtorboat
12-29-2007, 09:44 AM
Great article MissouriBronc!

The problem for the Dolphins is last years draft. Personally I think Ginn and Beck were wrong picks, and I think Quarterback and Wide Receiver are going to be problems for the Phins for years to come, because of last years draft.

I disagree with the Darren McFadden pick mainly because Ronnie Brown is their biggest offensive weapon. They already have a good running back so in my opinion they should look to strengthen other areas in the draft. I wouldn't be too suprised if they tried to fix their offense through FA and gave their defense some young talent through the draft (especially if Jason Taylor goes).

I agree about everything else though.

The problem with Beck is that he will already be 27 in his first year as a starter, if that's the route the Dolphins decide to take. Because he chose to take a mission while at BYU, that set him back in development. By the time you like to see quarterbacks coming through four years into their career, or so, he'll be 30, 31 years old already, whereas guys like Cutler, Young, Leinart, and even guys like Croyle and Edwards, will all still be in their mid-20s. We saw it with Chris Weinke, who played baseball for quite some time, before moving to Florida State, and he just never developed into a starter because he was behind in his original development.

Rex
12-29-2007, 09:45 AM
Croyle will be an Insurance Salesman in Tuskaloosa by the time he is 31.

MOtorboat
12-29-2007, 09:50 AM
Croyle is be an Insurance Salesman in Tuskaloosa by the time he is 31.

GP.

Message too short.

dogfish
12-30-2007, 01:38 AM
see, who says midgets can't write? welcome to the team. . . :beer:

i'm already hearing that dallas is trying to put together an offer to move up to the top spot and take mcfadden, but it's hard to imagine that they can really come up with enough value. . . but IMO, if miami gets anything near a reasonable offer, from dallas or anyone else, they should jump at it-- that team is in such sorry shape, they're going to need as many top-50 picks as they can get their hands on over the next few years to have any hope of fixing it. . .

i don't think taking mcfadden really helps them that much-- ronnie brown was extremely productive for them before he got hurt, but they were still losing every game. . . mcfadden is a special talent, but realistically how much more can he do behind an average-at-best line, with a virtual rookie QB and no quality receiving threats? not to mention the INSANE amount of money they'd have tied up at the position, with a #1 and #2 overall pick at the same spot. . . :eek: brown should be fine-- ACL injuries for young guys aren't the career-enders they used to be-- but at the same time, it illustrates how risky spending high picks on RBs can be, as they take more pounding than almost any other position, and have the shortest average shelf life. . . with multiple picks in the 1st this year, the phins could find a quality corner and linebacker, and still possibly have a chance at okam at the top of the 2nd-- and if he's gone, this draft looks pretty deep at OT and LB, two other spots where they could really use some help. . .

this is a multi-year rebuilding project any way you look at it, but if they parlay that top pick into multiple selections they can at least start building a foundation with this year's draft. . . and then come back again next year, play their young kids, essentially sacrifice another season and come away with another high pick-- plus any additional picks gained from this year's draft-- and revitalize their talent base pretty quickly. . . IMO a half dozen or more very good players will help them more than one or two great players with nothig around them. . .

one thing that will help is that parcells brings stability, and with stability they can settle on a scheme and find guys that fit it-- something the tuna has been quite good at over the years. . .

Dreadnought
01-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Nice work MB

BroncoJoe
01-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Cam Cameron was canned this morning....

Let the carnage begin...

MOtorboat
01-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Cam Cameron was canned this morning....

Let the carnage begin...

That's not a big surprise for anyone, or at least it shouldn't be...

BigDaddyBronco
01-03-2008, 10:59 AM
They got Jeff Ireland from the Cowboys to be their new GM. He's 37 so he must be pretty good. The ESPN guys are saying he was responsible for the last few good drafts the Cowboys have had. I bet the Dolphins have some better drafts over the next few years. They were one of the few teams that drafted worse than the Broncos for the last 10 years.

I wonder if Jerry Jones goes back to drafting himself. What a tool.

BroncoJoe
01-03-2008, 11:25 AM
That's not a big surprise for anyone, or at least it shouldn't be...

Not really a surprise, but I was curious to see if they'd give him another year. He took over a crap team so their record wasn't that big of a surprise.

Broncolingus
01-03-2008, 11:28 AM
I wonder how long it'll take Tuna to build a decent team there...

MOtorboat
01-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Not really a surprise, but I was curious to see if they'd give him another year. He took over a crap team so their record wasn't that big of a surprise.

True, but they also fired the crap GM.