View Full Version : Broncos Mailbag: Pat's prescience praised

TXBRONC
10-21-2009, 08:20 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13602788

Broncos Mailbag: Pat's prescience praised
Brad from Las Vegas lauds owner's decision to hire McDaniels as head coach
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

What did Pat Bowlen know about Josh McDaniels that no one else did? What were Bowlen's sources to make him such a genius? Was Bowlen ever afraid of the Bill Belichick branch of coaches that has not done so well? We easily could have hired one of the four winless new coaches.
-- Brad Byers, Las Vegas

Brad - To think people like me thought Steve Spagnuolo was the more logical heir to Mike Shanahan's kingdom at Dove Valley.

The Broncos' initial interest in McDaniels derived from a desire to tap into the success Bill Belichick had attained in New England. Why in this era of NFL parity were the Patriots so good every single season? There was clearly a formula in New England that no other franchise was using. In McDaniels, Bowlen was hoping to find the secret.

Bowlen also thought his team's two biggest stars, Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall, needed more of a heavy-handed guidance. They were immensely talented but also immature. It was questionable whether Cutler and Marshall had the makeup -- if left undeveloped -- to lead a team to the promised land.

Yes, it's ironic that a big reason why McDaniels got the Broncos' job was the way he helped mentor Tom Brady from very good to record setter, and Matt Cassel from benchwarmer to 11-5. Bowlen thought he would help bring Cutler to the next level.

Another reason why McDaniels got the job: His only interview with Bowlen and the Broncos' search committee that included Jim and Jeff Goodman, Brian Xanders and Bowlen's right-hand man Joe Ellis. It was a two-hour meeting at a hotel in Providence, R.I. McDaniels opened his presentation with how he would rebuild the Broncos' defense. He later had a 5 1/2-hour sitdown with Ellis at another hotel in Providence. And the rest, my friend, is 6-0.

Mike - With the Broncos' bye week upon us, I'm curious. Why doesn't the NFL simply schedule all of the byes within a two-week period in the middle of the season? Half of the AFC and half of the NFC on bye during Week 8 or Week 9, and the other half the following week? This would still allow all networks to have games, and maybe allow us to see teams we wouldn't normally see. Sure, it would be tougher to create the schedule, but wouldn't it be fairer for all teams involved?
-- Jim Balcerovich, Colorado Springs

Jim - I like your idea because of the last point you made -- the issues should always be about fairness. I've always thought teams with byes closer to the middle of the season -- as was the case with the Broncos in 2005 when they finished 13-3, and again this year -- have an advantage over teams whose off weeks are either very early, or relatively late in the season.

Injuries are a huge factor in the NFL. My unscientific, but logic-based study says a bye too early increases the possibility of bodies getting beaten down late. And a bye too late increases the possibility of midseason injury.

The team that really got the shaft was the Houston Texans. Because of Hurricane Ike, they had to take their bye in Week 2 last season. This year, the Texans don't have their bye until the last possible week -- Week 10. That's 24 games between byes -- and a tough draw for former Broncos good guy Gary Kubiak.
Has Kyle Orton's arm gotten stronger? To me, it looks like he has more zing on his passes the last two games. Before he appeared to lob his passes and had no zip on anything.
-- Clint Petersen, Iowa

Clint - The difference you see may have something to do with Orton throwing without a glove on his right hand. He wore the glove the first four games to protect his injured right index finger; he hasn't worn it in the last two games.

I also think you are seeing a more confident quarterback, a quarterback who has become increasingly more familiar with a new offensive system, and a quarterback who has been more accurate. The more comfortable a quarterback feels, the more he's able to let 'er rip.

G'day, Mike. My brother and I are heading to the U.S. in a couple of weeks, and we have tickets to the Baltimore game and then the Monday night game against Pittsburgh. Do you know of any supporter groups that gather at Denver away games? And what can you suggest we do and/or go in Denver to make sure the experience of a Broncos game on Monday night is one to remember?
-- Anthony Gwynne, Melbourne, Australia

Anthony - A Bronco bar in Baltimore? Can't find one, mate. The closest Broncos bar I can find is the Penn Quarter Tavern in Washington D.C., which is roughly 40 minutes away. There is a Broncos meet-up at a bar called "Chiefs," of all things, which is just north of San Diego; at the 45th Street Pub in Portland, Ore., at the Busby's East in Los Angeles; the Butterfield 8 in New York City; Fox & Hound Pub & Grille in Tucson, Ariz. To name a few.

As for the local watering holes, I prefer the Blake Street Tavern (even if it has found its niche in catering to fans of visiting teams) and Sports Column myself. Just ask the cabbie for the Lower Downtown area. But nothing beats the experience of being there. At the game, in the stadiums. No bar can beat the stadium atmosphere.

Do you think Denver gets no respect because of the low expectations set up at the beginning of the year by sports writers and, of course, people like me?
-- Dave, California

Yep, I think that's it, Dave. I couldn't believe that after the Broncos beat the Cowboys and Patriots in back-to-back weeks, the wise guys in Vegas made the Chargers a four-point favorite Monday night.

It should have been a push; maybe make the Chargers a one-point favorite. At most, give the Chargers three points for home field, which signals the teams are evenly matched on a neutral field.

But four points imply the wise guys still thought the 2-2 Chargers, everything being equal, were a better team than the 5-0 Broncos.

I didn't get it, but the wise guys have been correct often enough for me not to dispute it, either. The line keeps influencing my weekly picks. When will I learn? I have to start realizing that when it comes to the 2009 Broncos, the wise guys are idiots. Not that they're alone.

Why were the Broncos uniforms different Monday night?
-- Amberly, South Carolina

Amberly - I had heard the mail travels slow in South Carolina. The Broncos and five other charter members of the old American Football League are celebrating their 50th season anniversary this year. Thus, teams like the Broncos and San Diego Chargers have been wearing their throwback uniforms from the early '60s.

Once upon a time, the Broncos wore vertical-striped socks. Once upon a time, the Broncos' team colors were mustard gold and brown; white and brown on the road. And while the Broncos were 2-0 in their throwback uniforms, I believe I speak for many when I say that come the Baltimore game, it will be good to see the Broncos in their well-coordinated, non-vertically challenged, blue and orange, again.

Why is it that NFL Network, ESPN and other sites are already talking about Mike Nolan for a head coaching job as quickly as next season? It's only the end of Week 6! His last head coaching stint was a bust ... and this D is CRAZY! If they finish the season out strong, wouldn't he want to stick around in a winning program?! I don't wanna see this fella one-and-done in Denver. Thoughts?
-- Ryan, Spearfish, S.D.

Ryan - Ordinarily, such talk after Week 6 is premature. But after such ill-fated hires as Jim Zorn in Washington, Raheem Morris in Tampa Bay, Eric Mangini in Cleveland, Spagnuolo in St. Louis, Tom Cable in Oakland, and maybe even Todd Haley in Kansas City, many owners not named Pat Bowlen are kicking themselves for not jumping on McDaniels when they had the chance.

Brad from Vegas isn't the only one asking: What did Bowlen know that no one else did about McDaniels? In hopes of tapping into McDaniels' formula, owners will consider Nolan, who is the most qualified head coaching candidate on the Broncos' staff. Mike McCoy, the Broncos' offensive coordinator, will also soon be entering head-coaching candidate discussions, as hopefully will Rick Dennison, the Broncos' long-time offensive line coach, and running backs coach Bobby Turner.

True, it didn't work out for Nolan in San Francisco. It didn't work out for Belichick in Cleveland, either. Had New England not given Belichick a second chance, McDaniels might not have received a first chance.

Does Broncos coach Josh McDaniels' success reflect negatively on former coach Mike Shanahan's value to become a head coach in 2010 for another organization?
-- Mike, Denver

Mike - I'd hire Shanahan in a minute, although I think he's shrewd enough to realize he has to change some of the ways he runs an organization. For starters, Shanahan has to be more attentive in interviewing prospects at the NFL Scouting Combine. One of my initial observations regarding McDaniels' first draft class is most of his rookies seemed like the type who actually went to their college classes. Smart players, it seems, translate to disciplined, team-first players.

Shanahan also has to somehow, some way, pay more attention to the defensive side of the ball. I think Shanahan will make all of these adjustments in his next coaching gig. Right now, there's not a past or current coach who isn't curious about how McDaniels so dramatically transformed his team.

Mike Klis is in his fifth season of covering the Broncos for The Denver Post. He previously covered the Rockies and Major League Baseball for 15 years. Pose a Broncos- or NFL-related question for the Broncos Mailbag.