PDA

View Full Version : Mayock and Billick Break it Down

WARHORSE
10-20-2009, 11:46 PM
playbook breakdowns of some of the game.

All of a sudden we're gettin some air time.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/denver-broncos/09000d5d81392116/Playbook-Broncos-vs-Chargers-recap

gobroncsnv
10-21-2009, 06:59 AM
I may not be alone, but having a pass rush is my favorite part of this season, so far, the wins aside. Also like that we didn't show alot of prevent D this past game. KEEP DOING WHAT WORKS!!!!

EastCoastBronco
10-21-2009, 07:07 AM
It's been 10 years since we generated consistent pressure on defence. It's so nice to have it back.

CoachChaz
10-21-2009, 07:23 AM
In the past, we'd have played the bend but dont break crap and hoped to hold them to a FG. now, we attack...even late with a lead...that's what wins games and it's fun to watch

TXBRONC
10-21-2009, 07:40 AM
It's fun to watch Rivers get hit over, and over, and over, and over again.

I would like to see all the pressure start leading to some more picks.

Mike
10-21-2009, 08:13 AM
In the past, we'd have played the bend but dont break crap and hoped to hold them to a FG. now, we attack...even late with a lead...that's what wins games and it's fun to watch

I was a little concerned that the defense was going back into prevent defense at the start of SD's last drive. They sat back and let Rivers have time and didn't blitz, I was like WTF. Then they got back to blitzing and got the ball back.

I agree that it is the best part of the season so far is seeing the defense so electric and attacking instead of letting the other team dictate the course of the game.

It should be interesting to see how effective it is against Peyton Manning...seeing as how he always had his way with the defense in the past.

Dreadnought
10-21-2009, 08:19 AM
I was a little concerned that the defense was going back into prevent defense at the start of SD's last drive. They sat back and let Rivers have time and didn't blitz, I was like WTF. Then they got back to blitzing and got the ball back.

I agree that it is the best part of the season so far is seeing the defense so electric and attacking instead of letting the other team dictate the course of the game.

It should be interesting to see how effective it is against Peyton Manning...seeing as how he always had his way with the defense in the past.

Agreed. Manning is the only QB who has more consistently lit us up than Philip Rivers, and he's done it seemingly forever. It would be sweet not to get rolled by the SOB as per usual.

TXBRONC
10-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Agreed. Manning is the only QB who has more consistently lit us up than Philip Rivers, and he's done it seemingly forever. It would be sweet not to get rolled by the SOB as per usual.

The one thing we'll have in our favor is that unless the Colts running game improves they will more or less one demensional. That being said the best way to defend against Manning is to having on the sideline picking his nose.

dogfish
10-21-2009, 09:13 AM
and not only is it sweet having an aggressive mentality, it's even sweeter having a creative DC who knows how to adjust. . . in the first half against san diego, i was concerned because our blitzes weren't getting there-- it seemed like we were mostly coming off the edges and getting pushed wide while rivers stepped up and delivered the ball. . . their passing game was moving up and down the field early on. . .

after halftime, we started bringing those delayed blitzes right up the middle from the ILBs, and really started getting after them. . . .

TXBRONC
10-21-2009, 09:34 AM
and not only is it sweet having an aggressive mentality, it's even sweeter having a creative DC who knows how to adjust. . . in the first half against san diego, i was concerned because our blitzes weren't getting there-- it seemed like we were mostly coming off the edges and getting pushed wide while rivers stepped up and delivered the ball. . . their passing game was moving up and down the field early on. . .

after halftime, we started bringing those delayed blitzes right up the middle from the ILBs, and really started getting after them. . . .

It would not surprise me if Nolan realized before the game that he could pressure up the middle but held off from doing so until the second half.

Even though Rivers was moving the ball with what seem to be relative ease their offense only scored 13 points in the first half.

Cugel
10-21-2009, 09:49 AM
I may not be alone, but having a pass rush is my favorite part of this season, so far, the wins aside. Also like that we didn't show alot of prevent D this past game. KEEP DOING WHAT WORKS!!!!

I've been waiting for 6 years to see them have a pass rush! Watching the D-line sack their QB is the most fun part of football! :beer:

I remember when the Broncos had Bert Berry and Reggie Hayward together for 1 season and I thought -- finally they've got the makings of a good D-line.

But, then they let them both go via FA in successive seasons and the defense never was the same. First it was the repeated fiascos in Indy where Peyton Manning tore apart the secondary. Then they drafted a bunch of DBs. Still no D-line. Then the Browncos came to town.

Then when they failed, it was a bunch of crappy re-treads like John Engleberger and DeWayne Robertson.

"It's been 40 years of plague and darkness. And now, finally, a light." :sniff:

TXBRONC
10-21-2009, 10:42 AM
I've been waiting for 6 years to see them have a pass rush! Watching the D-line sack their QB is the most fun part of football! :beer:

I remember when the Broncos had Bert Berry and Reggie Hayward together for 1 season and I thought -- finally they've got the makings of a good D-line.

But, then they let them both go via FA in successive seasons and the defense never was the same. First it was the repeated fiascos in Indy where Peyton Manning tore apart the secondary. Then they drafted a bunch of DBs. Still no D-line. Then the Browncos came to town.

Then when they failed, it was a bunch of crappy re-treads like John Engleberger and DeWayne Robertson.

"It's been 40 years of plague and darkness. And now, finally, a light." :sniff:

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the defense knock the crap out the Chargers smack talking quarterback.

SoCoPoCo
10-21-2009, 07:14 PM

IIRC, Manning was also the guy who 'exposed' our last, best-of-all-time defense (2005?) after we were on a record pace for points allowed in a season and he lit us up. Hell, he was the reason we drafted so many CB's in the draft several years ago.

Dean
10-21-2009, 09:06 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed watching the defense knock the crap out the Chargers smack talking quarterback.

He seemed to get more and more quiet as the second half progressed.:D

Iron Horse72
10-22-2009, 12:56 AM
I seen a lot of SD fans leaving early even when their were driving late.

Last year I was there for the final game and it was rough, feels good to get some revenge.

Dirk
10-22-2009, 07:08 AM
So true! I never got the concept of so many CBs and never really shoring up the D-Line. Even Champ was getting burned because there was no pressure. Even the greats can't cover without pressure.

SoCalImport
10-22-2009, 07:42 AM
IIRC, Manning was also the guy who 'exposed' our last, best-of-all-time defense (2005?) after we were on a record pace for points allowed in a season and he lit us up. Hell, he was the reason we drafted so many CB's in the draft several years ago.

Big difference this time though.

"Coyers destroyers" was anything but. It was a good D but never an attacking D. We relied on the speed of our LB's to shut down the run, but never got consistent pressure on the QB. As you stated this lead to us being badly exposed by the lights out passing attack of the colts.
Ugh.. Reggie Wayne and Manning made out guys (mostly Foxworth if I remember correctly) look pathetic.

Big difference this time :defense:

TXBRONC
10-22-2009, 05:21 PM
I seen a lot of SD fans leaving early even when their were driving late.

Last year I was there for the final game and it was rough, feels good to get some revenge.

Welcome to Broncos Forums. :welcome:

It did fell good to get this win.

Poet
10-22-2009, 05:48 PM

It's also what takes an early Denver lead and puts it to a Denver blowout.

Being proactive and aggressive is the right call most of the time. I know that there are some good times to fake the blitz and run back to coverage, but that is set up by an aggressive defense.

Ziggy
10-22-2009, 06:48 PM

Great analysis Mike, but there is a good possibility that the showdown between the Broncos and Manning won't mean a thing, and we may even see Manning only playing a half or so. The Colts may have thier division wrapped up by then, and possibly the Broncos also. Then again, a playoff matchup isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Iron Horse72
10-23-2009, 01:38 AM
Welcome to Broncos Forums. :welcome:

It did fell good to get this win.

Thanks.