PDA

View Full Version : Royal’s Special Night Earns Special Honor

Denver Native (Carol)
10-20-2009, 06:39 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/royals-special-night-earns-special-honor/

A pair of special teams touchdowns against San Diego has granted Eddie Royal his first career special teams honor.

Royal will be named AFC Special Teams Player of the Week, the Broncos learned on Tuesday, for his Week 6 performance in a 34-23 victory over the Chargers. His 235 total return yards set a franchise record.

The majority of those 235 yards came via that pair of blistering runs on the Chargers’ coverage teams. Royal became the second Bronco and 11th player in NFL history to record a kickoff return for a touchdown (93 yds. in first quarter) and a punt return for a touchdown (71 yds. in second quarter) in the same game. He is the sixth player to accomplish that feat since the 1970 NFL merger.

The last Bronco to accomplish that feat was wearing the same retro brown that Royal wore on Monday night. HB Al Frazier had a 90-yard kickoff return and 55-yard punt return for touchdowns against the Boston Patriots on Dec. 3, 1961.

Royal’s 93-yard kickoff return was the ninth one returned for a touchdown in club history, and first since CB Deltha O’Neal’s run on Oct. 1, 2000 against New England. His 71-yard punt return was the 28th returned for a score in franchise history, and first since WR Glenn Martinez’s 80-yard dash on Nov. 19, 2007 against Tennessee.

Royal is the 19th Bronco to win the AFC Special Teams Player of the Week award since its inception in 1993. The last Bronco to earn the distinction was Matt Prater in Week 5 of the 2008 season.

Day1BroncoFan
10-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Congratulations Eddy!!!

2- Minute Warning
10-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Excellent, well deserved.:beer:

Poet
10-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Eddie Royal is a football player. He's more than a wideout and he's more than a great special teams player, he's a football player in the same vein guys like Hines Ward are football players.

He's also a very classy guy. He was a steal in the draft.

Day1BroncoFan
10-20-2009, 07:00 PM
How long before you jump on out bandwagon king?

Poet
10-20-2009, 07:00 PM
How long before you jump on out bandwagon king?

I feel as if you're implying something, Day1.

BroncoWave
10-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Kinda a no-brainer on that one.

Day1BroncoFan
10-20-2009, 07:14 PM
I feel as if you're implying something, Day1.

That should say our bandwagon not out bandwagon. Maybe I should proof my posts better. But, it seems that you say lots of good things about da Broncos. I was just wondering how long it is going to take you to come over to our side is all.

I never imply stuff, well hardly ever, well... never mind.

Poet
10-20-2009, 07:18 PM
That should say our bandwagon not out bandwagon. Maybe I should proof my posts better. But, it seems that you say lots of good things about da Broncos. I was just wondering how long it is going to take you to come over to our side is all.

I never imply stuff, well hardly ever, well... never mind.

I say nice things about most teams (you will probably rarely see me compliment Pittsburgh, Cleveland or Baltimore, guess why). I've ripped some of the Bronco players. Guys like Cutler (before and after McDaniels), Marshall, and what not. I like your team in the sense that I usually cheer for them to win.

I've gotten into debates on Elway and Davis and various other players. I've been in the Shanahan and Plummer threads and what not.

But I have one team.

camdisco24
10-20-2009, 10:39 PM
Eddie! Eddie! Eddie!

Great to see him finally getting some praise!

scott.475
10-20-2009, 11:01 PM
I hope his performance Monday is a preview of things to come for him, maybe he is finally starting to feel his P/K return groove.

Super guy, new this award would be coming his way.