PDA

View Full Version : Jay who? Orton has all-pro skill

Denver Native (Carol)
10-20-2009, 01:06 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13598678

SAN DIEGO — There might be only one thing you can say more shocking about this NFL season than the Broncos are 6-0.

Kyle Orton: Pro Bowl quarterback.

Try that unlikely statement on for size. Did your tongue go numb? See? The Earth did not stop spinning on its axis.

And if you haven't already forgotten Jay Cutler, maybe it's time to burn that old No. 6 Broncos jersey at the bottom of your closet.

Because after Denver destroyed the myth of the San Diego Chargers as Super Bowl contenders with a resounding 34-23 victory for the entire football nation to see Monday night, the NFL quarterbacks whom Orton must be mentioned with right now are Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger.

It might be too early for Orton to make airplane reservations for the Pro Bowl, but it's not too early to ask:In addition to the draft picks Chicago gave up to acquire Cutler in trade, did the Broncos also get the better quarterback in the deal?

Orton completed 20-of-29 passes for 229 yards and two touchdowns, including an improvised 5-yard strike to Brandon Stokley with 2 minutes, 55 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter to seal the win and probably ensure there's a pink slip in the near future for Chargers coach Norv Turner.

Orton also did something that Cutler never achieved during his time as the Denver quarterback: He left San Diego with a win.

"Thank goodness we have him. He has been just superb. He has stepped up to the plate when we needed him. None of these games have been easy, and he has made the plays we had to have," Stokley said.

Anybody remember what happened last time the Broncos were in this town? I can still see franchise owner Pat Bowlen giving a 1,000- yard stare in the locker room after a 52-21 debacle, while Mike Shanahan stood a few feet away trying to find the words to describe one of the worst season-ending meltdowns in league history.

"I wasn't here last year, obviously. But I know the past. We know the past as a team. It has kind of been a one-sided deal for the last few years," Orton said. "Divisional games are at a premium. You've got to play your best ball, especially on the road and 'Monday Night Football.' We pulled one out."

At halftime, the scoring could be broken down like this: Chargers 17, Broncos 5, Eddie Royal 12. Royal kept Denver in contention with touchdown returns on a San Diego kickoff and a punt, becoming the first man in franchise history to pull off both amazing feats in the same game.

With Denver clinging to a four- point lead in the fourth quarter, however, it was Orton who took over and marched the visitors, allowing Broncomaniacs who had invaded California to taunt disgruntled San Diego fans with a chant of "6-0!"

The best QB in the stadium on this autumn night? It wasn't Philip Rivers of the Chargers. There's a new sheriff in the AFC West, pardner.

The crucial 62-yard drive by Denver ended with a TD pass that shocked the man who caught it even more than the hapless San Diego defenders trying to stop it.

"It's a play we've probably run 100 times. And (Orton) never throws me the ball on the play. He never throws it to me. For some reason on that play, he did. And it was nice. I'm glad he did. I wasn't expecting it, that's for sure," said Stokley, who caught the football and rolled into the end zone underneath Chargers cornerback Antonio Cromartie.

This Orton guy is full of surprises.

"And he throws the ball a lot harder than people give him credit for," Stokley said.

See? Even his own teammates tend to give compliments that Brett Favre might consider an insult.

Orton will never be so arrogant as to compare his arm strength to John Elway's.

He's not always pretty, but Orton is taking the Broncos someplace Cutler never took the team:

The playoffs.

OldschoolFreak
10-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Ok, fun article and all but man, I can't wait for the damn surprised tone to go away. If Orton has two good seasons in Denver will we finally get away from the apologist tone, the sheer surprise every time he does something well? I swear to god, he could throw for five TDs in a game right now and the journalists would focus on how he played better than he actually is.

Pathetic, the kid's a good football player damn it.

smith49
10-20-2009, 01:15 PM
hey, great article carole. sooo true about orton. i love his leadership, his humility, and his ability to rip out your heart.

smith49
10-20-2009, 01:16 PM
Ok, fun article and all but man, I can't wait for the damn surprised tone to go away. If Orton has two good seasons in Denver will we finally get away from the apologist tone, the sheer surprise every time he does something well? I swear to god, he could throw for five TDs in a game right now and the journalists would focus on how he played better than he actually is.

great point here oldshcool.

Mike
10-20-2009, 01:23 PM

Hell no. Let the skeptics and doubters reign.

Slick
10-20-2009, 01:25 PM
Hell no. Let the skeptics and doubters reign.

I like it when we're the Rodney Dangerfields of the league.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-20-2009, 01:30 PM
I like it when we're the Rodney Dangerfields of the league.

It's funny you say that - last night Trent Dilfer was talking about the game, and moreso Kyle, and he had nothing but praise for Kyle, and said that Kyle is the Rodney Dangerfields of quarterbacks - i.e. he gets no respect, BUT JUST KEEPS ON WINNING

Denver Native (Carol)
10-20-2009, 01:32 PM

I don't think this was a journalist eating crow, but moreso, for the benefit of the many fans upset in regards to the Cutler trade, upset about Kyle now being our quarterback. There were many posts from fans on the Denver Post site who constantly put down Orton, Bowlen, McDaniels in regards to Cutler being traded. I think the article was - "give credit where credit is due".

Overtime
10-20-2009, 01:37 PM
and just who the hell is this Jay Cutler guy the media speaks of??? never heard of him before.

Zweems56
10-20-2009, 01:39 PM
he's not always pretty, but orton is taking the broncos someplace cutler never took the team:

The playoffs.

oh shit son!

Slick
10-20-2009, 01:51 PM
It's funny you say that - last night Trent Dilfer was talking about the game, and moreso Kyle, and he had nothing but praise for Kyle, and said that Kyle is the Rodney Dangerfields of quarterbacks - i.e. he gets no respect, BUT JUST KEEPS ON WINNING

Kyle can Trent Dilfer us all season long for all I care. :salute:

Lonestar
10-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Well I was thinking that KO fell into deep cotton when he got traded here.. I just did not understand how tall the cotton was..

you take an ex HS/college QB that is just to short to play in the pros..add him to coaching Brady for a couple of years, bring an never has started QB that was an afterthought in the draft and allow him to coach him up to a 11-5 record in one of the most competitive divisions in football..

any good QB would love to be coached by a guy like that who is living vicariously through his QB on the field.. KO could not have ever stepped into a better spot than he did..

jay who, the guy that has to be crying his eyes out because he is in the windy city.. and not being coached by what may be a super star QB/HC..

boy howdy did we ever get the best of that deal.. and we thought mike got a deal for Champ and tater.. this one is really slick..

we are not even sure who we got besides KO and Ayers until we take our (bears) pick in april.. but so far we are ahead..

honz
10-20-2009, 04:01 PM
I'd just like to remind everyone of mine and Top's support of Orton throughout the offseason. I'm sure there were others as well, but I know both of us kept saying that he is better than he is given credit for while others continued to rip on him. Where do I sign up to be an NFL GM? :)

Slick
10-20-2009, 04:24 PM
I'd just like to remind everyone of mine and Top's support of Orton throughout the offseason. I'm sure there were others as well, but I know both of us kept saying that he is better than he is given credit for while others continued to rip on him. Where do I sign up to be an NFL GM? :)

I bet you would rub a puppy's nose in the mess he left on the carpet honz.

honz
10-20-2009, 04:28 PM

Hey, when you're right you are right. I'm usually not one to brag, but I feel like a proud Papa right now. :D

Brand
10-20-2009, 04:31 PM

In this case, damm straight........

T.K.O.
10-20-2009, 04:35 PM

eh.....hem ! ;)

Shazam!
10-20-2009, 07:30 PM
And if you haven't already forgotten Jay Cutler, maybe it's time to burn that old No. 6 Broncos jersey at the bottom of your closet.

I gave mine away in June or July.

LRtagger
10-20-2009, 08:00 PM
I sold mine in a yard sale this summer for $5.

Shazam!
10-20-2009, 09:21 PM
They should've bought two of them and threw them both in the garbage.

Lonestar
10-20-2009, 09:34 PM

there were quite a few of us that felt like he might be special..

not as SPECIAL as he seems to be turning out..

but more than adequate to mange the game on a weekly basis..

there were alot of jay fans that just could not get past his arm..

does anyone really think he could have contained himself and not thrown picks in most of the games this year..

I for one think our passing games might be a tad better but turn overs much higher and for the money jay is going to be asking for next year well we can get a KO and someone else..

frenchfan
10-21-2009, 02:33 AM
I have to apologize too IMO...

I was thinking Kyle was a decent QB for us... I was wrong...
He is a great deal for us !

I really love his attitude, his work ethic, his leadership and his smartness...
He is a great team player !
He uses his potential very well... Playing on his qualities and damn, that's what I expect from a QB : being the leader of the team... not having a better arm than Elway... This means nothing... I loved #7 not for his arm, but for his leadership and his attitude on the field...

And well... Tops was right... The guy has a good arm and knows how to use it...
That pass to Tony was a pure beauty of touch... (and great catch too).

I want an Orton's jersey right now !

Go Kyle !

:beer: :salute:

Go Broncos ! :defense:

pnbronco
10-21-2009, 10:03 AM

Hello.....I didn't write those camp reports for myself.......:rolleyes:

Top you were the champion of Kyle, if I ever need someone in my corner I want you and Carol. The 2 of you are as loyal as junk yard dogs but a lot cuter...:D

broncofaninfla
10-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Ortons success hasn't changed my mind about Cutler at all. I like both QB's. I'm pulling for Chicago to lose not because of Cutler but because we have their #1 pick.

SBboundBRONCOS
10-21-2009, 11:13 AM
hey, great article carole. sooo true about orton. i love his leadership, his humility, and his ability to rip out your heart.

http://dshafa.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/doom.jpg

Dirk
10-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Does Madden 10 really have Moreno as number 24? :rolleyes:

SBboundBRONCOS
10-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Does Madden 10 really have Moreno as number 24? :rolleyes:

lol really old sig . . . they just did it after the draft before he was given a number, and those were his original stats

Dirk
10-21-2009, 11:25 AM
lol really old sig . . . they just did it after the draft before he was given a number, and those were his original stats

Ah...I saw that and I was like...WTF? :lol::lol: