PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels = Young Shanahan?

CrazyHorse
10-20-2009, 08:30 AM
Does anyone else see this? McDaniels reminds me so much of a younger Mike Shanahan. The one from back in the 90's when he had the fire and passion. This was something that appeared absent in the past couple years. McDaniels also seems to connect to the players so well. Maybe there's something for being so close in age. They were both offensive coordinators that came from dominant organizations of their time. Shanahan from the 49ers and McDaniels from the Patriots. Anyone else feel like this?

broncofaninfla
10-20-2009, 08:38 AM
I agree Shanahan coached with more passion and fire in the 90's. He seemed to lose his edge over the past couple of years and the teams seemed "stale" as a result.

Traveler
10-20-2009, 08:48 AM
Does anyone else see this? McDaniels reminds me so much of a younger Mike Shanahan. The one from back in the 90's when he had the fire and passion. This was something that appeared absent in the past couple years. McDaniels also seems to connect to the players so well. Maybe there's something for being so close in age. They were both offensive coordinators that came from dominant organizations of their time. Shanahan from the 49ers and McDaniels from the Patriots. Anyone else feel like this?

Other than the underlined portion, McDaniels and Shanahan are nothing alike IMO.

Mike relied too much on the players to prepare themselves mentally and physically.

McDaniels prepares the team better by going through situational practices and playing more physcal.

Mike was stoic, whereas McDaniels is emotional.

The saying that the team reflects the personality of it's coach could not be more evident when comparing the two.

OrangeHoof
10-20-2009, 11:46 AM
I thought Bowlen's idea was to replace the "coach of the '90s" with the "coach of the '10s", that the league had caught up to Shanahan's offensive wizardry (ZBS, WCO, etc) and that McDaniels' offensive is the system of the future. Eventually, defenses will catch up with him too but we may have a window of 3-5 years while they struggle to find an answer for him.

What upset me during all of this is that it was the defense, not the offense, that needed to be fixed and you need a defensive guy to do it. How long Mike Nolan hangs around may be critical to McDaniels' success in Denver.

Dr Velcro
10-20-2009, 11:52 AM
No, he reminds me of the lucky rabbit's foot Billicheat's held in his pocket now for a number of years.

Northman
10-20-2009, 05:19 PM
I actually disagree. Shanny inherited a HOF Qb from the word go and just needed to add some pieces. McDaniels is actually starting from the ground up. But i will say the intensity of the two looks the same.

Day1BroncoFan
10-20-2009, 07:02 PM
I hope they don't end up on the same path.

Shazam!
10-20-2009, 07:27 PM
I dont think Shanahan ever showed this kind of fire and intensity, and many of us watched him patrolling Denver sidelines since 1995.

red98
10-20-2009, 07:48 PM
I actually disagree. Shanny inherited a HOF Qb from the word go and just needed to add some pieces. McDaniels is actually starting from the ground up. But i will say the intensity of the two looks the same.

Shanny inherited a crap defense and replaced about half the roster in his first 2 years. McDaniels has 2 new starters on offense, how is that ground up?

drewloc
10-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Shanny inherited a crap defense and replaced about half the roster in his first 2 years. McDaniels has 2 new starters on offense, how is that ground up?

It seems about equal to me. Both coaches replaced a lot on the roster upon their arrival.

gobroncsnv
10-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Shanny from the 90's would have NEVER put up with Slowick... Also, would have never gotten Elway any rings with his recent defenses. You need to bring intensity along with your clipboard if your D is going to do ANYTHING. Mike did seem to have lost his passion once we lost the 2006 playoffs. Just wasn't the same after that.

Lonestar
10-20-2009, 09:27 PM
MC Kid = mike other than being OC for two great teams and QB for HOF QB's..

the only intensity I have seen from mike is an icy stare or a smile from time to time..

not so with Josh..I'm afraid he might stroke out if he does not tone it down a bit..

Northman
10-20-2009, 09:28 PM

Ground up is not having a HOF QB which is the crux of many successful franchises. Most of his players are young with a few vets here and there. Whereas Shanahan had a lot more vets as opposed young players.

Shazam!
10-20-2009, 09:42 PM
McDaniels had to deal with not only a QB fiasco, but bringing in a guy.

Who knows how Shanahan would do without an elite talent like Elway or Young?

Oh, yeah, we already do.

1 Playoff win. 1 Division Title. 4 blowout losses. Worst defense in the League.

Lonestar
10-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Ground up is not having a HOF QB which is the crux of many successful franchises. Most of his players are young with a few vets here and there. Whereas Shanahan had a lot more vets as opposed young players.

there were 4-5 almost HOF players on mikes team.. when he walked through the door..

and then drafted another in the 6th round..

nope the players were not nearly the same..

Other than maybe Clady and Champ there were no HOF'ers on this team when Josh walked in the doors..

Shazam!
10-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Other than maybe Clady and Champ there were no HOF'ers on this team when Josh walked in the doors..

Jay Cutler :sarcasm:

gobroncsnv
10-20-2009, 11:29 PM
Pretty sure Josh isn't looking for any HOF'rs so much as TEAM guys... not taking away from anybody in the Hall, but I don't think he got Dawkins for his pro-bowl appearances, but for the reasons he got them... unselfish, highly motivated, outstandingly physical and smart play... put those things first, and the accolades will come. Forget the stupid blow up SportsCenter highlight hits.

Northman
10-20-2009, 11:40 PM
Well, im not trying to say Shanahan sucked but it was a vast difference when he took over as opposed to McDaniels. I mean, McD is essentially doing clean up after Mike couldnt right the ship. Eventually, i think guys like Clady and Marshall may end up being HOF's but considering how young the team is i think it is a bit more rebuilding than what Shanahan had to do when he came in. Even if Jay had stayed he was still wet behind the ears compared to Elway so i just dont see the comparison to be even close unless your just talking about the "hunger" to win. But eventually it was taking its toll on Shanahan and you could tell on gameday that he just seemed ho-hum about everything. McDaniels is hungry and wants to prove he was the right man for the job and he gets fired up and the team reflects that with their play and attitude. Maybe the young players couldnt relate to Shanahan which is possible but in the end its hard to deny that the move was the right one at this point.

1badcj8
10-21-2009, 12:03 AM
Other than the underlined portion, McDaniels and Shanahan are nothing alike IMO.

Agree completly... They are nothing alike in my opinion as well. Even though I was one saying Mikes time was done I, in a way, hated seeing him go. It was kind of like when Elway retired. I wondered how the Broncos were going to be the same? Of course they were not but were to me, if that makes sense.

Thats how it is now, they are the same, to me, but with a younger fresher approach to get to the same goal. Shorty is going to be great, as was Mike in his time, but they are nothing alike...

Kaylore
10-21-2009, 01:04 AM

Mike relied too much on the players to prepare themselves mentally and physically.

McDaniels prepares the team better by going through situational practices and playing more physcal.

Mike was stoic, whereas McDaniels is emotional.

The saying that the team reflects the personality of it's coach could not be more evident when comparing the two.
This

broncofaninfla
10-21-2009, 09:22 AM
I dont think Shanahan ever showed this kind of fire and intensity, and many of us watched him patrolling Denver sidelines since 1995.

Shannahan may not have been as intense as McD but he was intense and used to be pretty passionate, that really seemed to fade as time went on.

SoCoPoCo
10-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Shannahan may not have been as intense as McD but he was intense and used to be pretty passionate, that really seemed to fade as time went on.

I agree...I think Shanahan's intensity was one of his trademarks during the early years. I met Ed Hochuli several years ago and several of us gathered in the crowd asked him which NFL head coach he hated to referee for. Without hesitation he said "Mike Shanahan because he just never, ever leaves you alone". I thought about that conversation alot during last year's San Diego game at Invesco...just sayin'. ;)

LordTrychon
10-21-2009, 07:38 PM
I love how some posters are saying Mike simply inherited a great team and opened the final door for them.

Broncos before Shanahan took over went as follows:

7-9
9-7
8-8

HMMMMM.... looks pretty similar to me... He won us two superbowls in his first four years.

I'm impressed as much as anyone with McDaniels... but the Shanahan hate is just flat out ridiculous. I love our current team and how we look now... but I'm not putting any money on 2 SBs in the next 4 years.

Lonestar
10-21-2009, 11:05 PM
I love how some posters are saying Mike simply inherited a great team and opened the final door for them.

7-9
9-7
8-8

HMMMMM.... looks pretty similar to me... He won us two superbowls in his first four years.

I'm impressed as much as anyone with McDaniels... but the Shanahan hate is just flat out ridiculous. I love our current team and how we look now... but I'm not putting any money on 2 SBs in the next 4 years.

come on LT he had a boat load of great players on it.. and Ryan was the coach he replaced think about that.. he still does not know what to do with talent..

to have 4-6 bona fide HOF players on the squad and then get TD out of the blue to polish it off..

please tell me mike was responsible for Shannon Sharpe, John Elway, Steve Atwater, Rod Smith, Gary Zimmerman, Jason Elam, Tom Nalen being drafted not being already in this squad..

braxton will never be a HOF but he was already here..here are others.. Habib, lodish, Rouen, Crockett, Burns, Aldridge

he did bring in quite a few veterans.. to shore up the defense.. mostly Gordon, Mobley, MD Perry, Pryce (Rookie year), ROMO, Traylor..

this was one of the first years of FA and mike loaded up with mostly has beens that wanted one last chance at a ring..

but to say the cupboard was empty and mike was the great guru to fill it, is not gonna hunt..

LordTrychon
10-21-2009, 11:18 PM
come on LT he had a boat load of great players on it.. and Ryan was the coach he replaced think about that.. he still does not know what to do with talent..

to have 4-6 bona fide HOF players on the squad and then get TD out of the blue to polish it off..

please tell me mike was responsible for Shannon Sharpe, John Elway, Steve Atwater, Rod Smith, Gary Zimmerman, Jason Elam, Tom Nalen being drafted not being already in this squad..

braxton will never be a HOF but he was already here..here are others.. Habib, lodish, Rouen, Crockett, Burns, Aldridge

he did bring in quite a few veterans.. to shore up the defense.. mostly Gordon, Mobley, MD Perry, Pryce (Rookie year), ROMO, Traylor..

this was one of the first years of FA and mike loaded up with mostly has beens that wanted one last chance at a ring..

but to say the cupboard was empty and mike was the great guru to fill it, is not gonna hunt..

The team was a .500 team over a three year period. I don't see the difference. You think that Shanahan had no influence on the team, and if they went 8-8 the next 4 years, these guys would all still be HOF potential? Only two are already in... they've all been done a while.

Marshall and Royal both had more catches than Rod did at that point...

Atwater isn't voted in yet, he's been done for some time... Sharpe hasn't been voted in, but will be, I'm sure. I wouldn't bet big money on Elam or Nalen making it either. Do I believe they should? Sure.

If they were so great without Shanahan though, Shanahan wouldn't have been brought in. That's just all there is to it. You make it sound like Shanahan did nothing, and it was all about the great talent before he was even here... yet they weren't winning SBs before Shanahan got here... they weren't even winning more games than they were losing.

IF the talent was SO AMAZING when Shanahan took over... WHY WEREN'T THEY WINNING?!

red98
10-22-2009, 07:19 AM

7-9
9-7
8-8

I agree with all but the last line, we may win a SB or 2 in 4yrs.

LordTrychon
10-22-2009, 07:30 AM
I agree with all but the last line, we may win a SB or 2 in 4yrs.

Oh, I agree! We may!

I'm simply not going to gamble on winning at least two... which some people want to act as though Shanahan was a mediocre coach, even though he took a .500 team (over three seasons) and got them two SBs in his first four seasons.

If McDaniels is far and away the better coach... He should have no problem bringing us two just as quick, and we should be dissatisfied with any less than three, really. I'll give him five seasons, I guess... if he gets two out of four then pulls off the threepeat....

claymore
10-22-2009, 07:39 AM

Name the 4-6 bona fide HOF players. We have 2 players in, and might not have any if it were not for Shannahan. Elway was NOT considered a HOF QB before Shannahan got here.

broncofaninfla
10-22-2009, 08:56 AM
I'll agree now that is was time to switch coaches and Bowlen made an excellent choice with McD but I'll never buy in that Shanahan was a bad coach and am utterly amazed any Denver fan can feel that way. Shanahan is not only the the best coach in Broncos history but one of the best in league history. He was able to bring all of the pieces together for us and earn us two Super Bowl titles and I will forever be in debt to him for that. McD has a great start and I like the direction we are headed but talk to me in 5 years before we even start to debate who is better between the two.

Shazam!
10-22-2009, 09:03 AM
Elway was NOT considered a HOF QB before Shannahan got here.

Ummm, what? He certainly was.

I'll agree now that is was time to switch coaches and Bowlen made an excellent choice with McD but I'll never buy in that Shanahan was a bad coach and am utterly amazed any Denver fan can feel that way. Shanahan is not only the the best coach in Broncos history but one of the best in league history. He was able to bring all of the pieces together for us and earn us two Super Bowl titles and I will forever be in debt to him for that.

I still feel he's a glorified offensive coordinator and terrible GM. But regardless, it was just he stayed in Denver too long. His methods didn't work anymore. The players didn't respond. He was never a motivator. He couldn't get the team to rally. He thought he could bring in any FA rejects to fix the defense that were awful. I'll never forget his helping bring Championships to Denver but his time definitely was up. He'll likely succeed elsewhere.

NightTrainLayne
10-22-2009, 09:06 AM
Ummm, what? He certainly was.

He was among Bronco fans, but outside of that, whenever Elway and HOF came up, the first question was, "Where are his SB rings?"

claymore
10-22-2009, 09:17 AM
He was among Bronco fans, but outside of that, whenever Elway and HOF came up, the first question was, "Where are his SB rings?"

I dont even know If Elway was considered a top 5 QB.

NightTrainLayne
10-22-2009, 09:21 AM
I dont even know If Elway was considered a top 5 QB.

I think he was, but kinda like Drew Brees is looked at now. Top 5, but if you said HOF, everyone would look funny at you anywhere outside of New Orleans.

Lonestar
10-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Name the 4-6 bona fide HOF players. We have 2 players in, and might not have any if it were not for Shannahan. Elway was NOT considered a HOF QB before Shannahan got here.

lets try this again.. and I'll try to make this clear..

does that make it more clear..

if you do not think John was being considered to be a HOF QB then you and I + 98% of of all Broncos fans will have to agree to disagree.. LMAO

NightTrainLayne
10-22-2009, 09:25 AM

if you do not think John was being considered to be a HOF QB then you and I + 98% of of all Broncos fans will have to agree to disagree.. LMAO

None of those guys were considered locks for the HOF outside of Zimmerman at the time that Shanny took over.

You are using 20/20 hind-sight vision to make your argument.

Fourteen years from now if someone starts arguing that McD isn't a great coach because he inherited 4-6 HOF players, (Clady, DJ Williams, Champ Bailey, Brandon Marshall, and brought in Brian Dawkins, and got lucky with Moreno). What would you tell them?

claymore
10-22-2009, 09:28 AM

if you do not think John was being considered to be a HOF QB then you and I + 98% of of all Broncos fans will have to agree to disagree.. LMAO[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I dont see 4-6 BONAFIDE HOF players in your list. Elway, Zimmerman, and maybe Sharpe (hopefully). None of the others will make it. LOL at Elam in the HOF.

BTW, you are smoking dope if you think ANY unbiased person would think Elway was HOF worthy pre Shannahan.

His numbers were pretty bad, and he had ZERO rings.

Lonestar
10-22-2009, 09:50 AM
None of those guys were considered locks for the HOF outside of Zimmerman at the time that Shanny took over.

You are using 20/20 hind-sight vision to make your argument.

Fourteen years from now if someone starts arguing that McD isn't a great coach because he inherited 4-6 HOF players, (Clady, DJ Williams, Champ Bailey, Brandon Marshall, and brought in Brian Dawkins, and got lucky with Moreno). What would you tell them?

that they were correct.. seems like plain fact that they inherited HOF players..

it is not like either evaluated their level of play to a point where they magically became HOF potential.. that they were bums before either got there..

you can call it what you want hind sight, MMQB..

the fact remain mike had all of those players on his squad when he walked through the doors, he cleaned out some of the dead wood and brought in some aging vets that wanted a chance at the brass ring.. much the same way Josh has done.. yet alot of Joshes FA are not old that are only expected to have 2 years max.. alot are in their mid to late 20's or very early 30's..

mike did something that none of our other coaches could do, won a couple of super bowls but not much after all of the players he inherited left as FA or retired . yes he won games but not many playoff games..

y'all want to elevate him to walking on water status fine by me, IMHO he got lucky with TD and all the HOF players. he did something no other coaches had done mastered the salary cap and brought in alot of Veterans late in their career.. he started a trend in that respect..

to me mike is not the Saviour, just mastermind on Offense..

NightTrainLayne
10-22-2009, 09:54 AM
that they were correct.. seems like plain fact that they inherited HOF players..

it is not like either evaluated their level of play to a point where they magically became HOF potential.. that they were bums before either got there..

you can call it what you want hind sight, MMQB..

the fact remain mike had all of those players on his squad when he walked through the doors, he cleaned out some of the dead wood and brought in some aging vets that wanted a chance at the brass ring.. much the same way Josh has done.. yet alot of Joshes FA are not old that are only expected to have 2 years max.. alot are in their mid to late 20's or very early 30's..

mike did something that none of our other coaches could do, won a couple of super bowls but not much after all of the players he inherited left as FA or retired . yes he won games but not many playoff games..

y'all want to elevate him to walking on water status fine by me, IMHO he got lucky with TD and all the HOF players. he did something no other coaches had done mastered the salary cap and brought in alot of Veterans late in their career.. he started a trend in that respect..

to me mike is not the Saviour, just mastermind on Offense..

What you are missing JR, is that HOF players are found in excess on SB winning teams. Which came first? The chicken or the egg? I don't know, but there is a STRONG correlation between SB wins and HOF players.

I happen to think that a LOT of HOF talent doesn't make it in due to not having SB rings, and that a LOT of HOF members wouldn't be there were it not for having SB rings. Not to mention being in a good medie market.

Lonestar
10-22-2009, 09:56 AM
I dont see 4-6 BONAFIDE HOF players in your list. Elway, Zimmerman, and maybe Sharpe (hopefully). None of the others will make it. LOL at Elam in the HOF.

BTW, you are smoking dope if you think ANY unbiased person would think Elway was HOF worthy pre Shannahan.

His numbers were pretty bad, and he had ZERO rings.

pre HC mike or pre mike the QB coach.. there is a huge difference..

while him winning a SB cemented his first ballot HOF, he would have gotten in.. if Kelly, Marino and several others got there, he would have done it also..

as for the others, we all know that they may never get there, but it is not because they do not deserve it.. being a Bronco, not being an East of the Mississippi team carries a Black hole mentally of the voters..

Lonestar
10-22-2009, 10:03 AM
What you are missing JR, is that HOF players are found in excess on SB winning teams. Which came first? The chicken or the egg? I don't know, but there is a STRONG correlation between SB wins and HOF players.

I happen to think that a LOT of HOF talent doesn't make it in due to not having SB rings, and that a LOT of HOF members wouldn't be there were it not for having SB rings. Not to mention being in a good medie market.

lots of east of the Mississippi players non Superbowl winners are in the HOF, Kelly and Marino head that list.. I'm sure there are many many more.. but frankly we are splitting hairs on this..

if Y'all truly DO not believe that John would have not gotten in the HOF without winning a super bowl, then I have to wonder how big a Bronco fan Y'all might be..

now I have stated my Opinion whether you want to hear it or agree with it is up to Y'all.... if not then we will have to agree to disagree..

now I like Josh do I think we can win a super bowl, time will tell.. I like him more than I do mike with his sideline demeanor being high of the Difference list..

NightTrainLayne
10-22-2009, 10:16 AM
lots of east of the Mississippi players non Superbowl winners are in the HOF, Kelly and Marino head that list.. I'm sure there are many many more.. but frankly we are splitting hairs on this..

if Y'all truly DO not believe that John would have not gotten in the HOF without winning a super bowl, then I have to wonder how big a Bronco fan Y'all might be..

now I have stated my Opinion whether you want to hear it or agree with it is up to Y'all.... if not then we will have to agree to disagree..

now I like Josh do I think we can win a super bowl, time will tell.. I like him more than I do mike with his sideline demeanor being high of the Difference list..

If you would pay attention, I think that the only thing that's been said is that Elway was not considered a big HOF candidate OUTSIDE of Denver pre-Shanahan, because he didn't have any SB rings.

It's been a loooong time since someone questioned my fan credentials.

red98
10-22-2009, 10:20 AM
I like him more than I do mike with his sideline demeanor being high of the Difference list..

That's true, Shanny's demeanor in later years was much more like Belichick's than McKids.

claymore
10-22-2009, 10:25 AM
pre HC mike or pre mike the QB coach.. there is a huge difference..

while him winning a SB cemented his first ballot HOF, he would have gotten in.. if Kelly, Marino and several others got there, he would have done it also..

as for the others, we all know that they may never get there, but it is not because they do not deserve it.. being a Bronco, not being an East of the Mississippi team carries a Black hole mentally of the voters..

HC Shannahan

Look back at Elway's stats. They look terrible.

Lonestar
10-22-2009, 10:26 AM
The team was a .500 team over a three year period. I don't see the difference. You think that Shanahan had no influence on the team, and if they went 8-8 the next 4 years, these guys would all still be HOF potential? Only two are already in... they've all been done a while.

Marshall and Royal both had more catches than Rod did at that point...

Atwater isn't voted in yet, he's been done for some time... Sharpe hasn't been voted in, but will be, I'm sure. I wouldn't bet big money on Elam or Nalen making it either. Do I believe they should? Sure.

If they were so great without Shanahan though, Shanahan wouldn't have been brought in. That's just all there is to it. You make it sound like Shanahan did nothing, and it was all about the great talent before he was even here... yet they weren't winning SBs before Shanahan got here... they weren't even winning more games than they were losing.

IF the talent was SO AMAZING when Shanahan took over... WHY WEREN'T THEY WINNING?!

sorry I did not see this till now..

I guess you did not see my reasoning for it.. the head coach was Ryan and he still does not know what to do with talent.. he is a soft coach and the players did not respect him.. he took over from Dan reeves who was more of a strict coach and was for the most part a winner, just could not get along with John......

so why did we not win with the talent we had HC Ryan is my guess.

claymore
10-22-2009, 10:27 AM

I guess you did not see my reasoning for it.. the head coach was Ryan and he still does not know what to do with talent.. he is a soft coach and the players did not respect him.. he took over from Dan reeves who was more of a strict coach and was for the most part a winner, just could not get along with John......

You mean Phillips?

Lonestar
10-22-2009, 10:28 AM
HC Shannahan

Look back at Elway's stats. They look terrible.

wow now your a john hater.. anyone you liked besides jay?

just kidding.. I done here it is obvious that I'm right and Y'all do not get it..:laugh:

claymore
10-22-2009, 10:31 AM
wow now your a john hater.. anyone you liked besides jay?

just kidding.. I done here it is obvious that I'm right and Y'all do not get it..:laugh:

I loved Elway. I loved Shannahan. You are trying to belittle the imprtance of Shannahan. Its ridiculous. Maybe there is a reason John LOVES Shannahan.

Lonestar
10-22-2009, 10:33 AM
I loved Elway. I loved Shannahan. You are trying to belittle the imprtance of Shannahan. Its ridiculous. Maybe there is a reason John LOVES Shannahan.

I guess loving someone make you blind to their down falls.. I'm happy for you.

later I'm done here..

claymore
10-22-2009, 10:39 AM
I guess loving someone make you blind to their down falls.. I'm happy for you.

later I'm done here..

That describes you perfectley. You cant see anything objectively.

Elway
Passing TD's 300
Rushing TD's 33

Interceptions 226
Fumbles 137

Thse are shit numbers.

LoyalSoldier
10-22-2009, 10:49 AM
Can anyone name me any HC who kept winning superbowls after all of his HOF talent retired? Because just about every HC had the same problem.

NightTrainLayne
10-22-2009, 11:07 AM

You mean Phillips?

I have to wonder how big of a bronco fan you might be JR.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Lonestar
10-22-2009, 11:11 AM
I have to wonder how big of a bronco fan you might be JR.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

hey I'm beat got to bed at 2 and been at rehab since 0500-0700 my ass is dragging.. I'm going to take a nap..