PDA

View Full Version : What I am still worried about...

scott.475
10-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Our ability to score points on offense. All other things being equal, without Eddie's two returns tonight we lose this game. I am not trying to be a downer, but if we get into a game where we can't control the opposing offense, and need to score 25+ points on offense, I just don't feel confident we can do it.

Now, maybe our staff is sitting on plans/plays etc that we have yet to see, maybe they just have not really opened up the offense, but this just worries me. Somebody help me feel better about this!

TXBRONC
10-20-2009, 12:17 AM
Our ability to score points on offense. All other things being equal, without Eddie's two returns tonight we lose this game. I am not trying to be a downer, but if we get into a game where we can't control the opposing offense, and need to score 25+ points on offense, I just don't feel confident we can do it.

Now, maybe our staff is sitting on plans/plays etc that we have yet to see, maybe they just have not really opened up the offense, but this just worries me. Somebody help me feel better about this!

But we don't know what the offense would have do had Eddie not scored on those returns. The way the offense starting moving the ball once things settled down lead me to believe they might have scored more points if the returns had not gone for touchdowns.

Lonestar
10-20-2009, 12:17 AM

this TEAM has only had 6 games to get the offense working together at game speed..

marshall did not grace our presence till the season started and because of that KO has had to work harder at getting his timing down with him than the others..

the Offense will get better as they get the newer type rushing scheme down.. the whole offense seems to still be thinking about what is developing opposed to reacting to it as it does..

we have been adding a layer to the O each week.. last week it was Eddie this week Scheffler..

who will it be next week..

lots of timing issues that still need to be worked on..

Shazam!
10-20-2009, 12:18 AM
I hear what you're saying, but this is a different team than we are used to seeing. This team is as close to a defensive powerhouse as I've seen for Denver in years. They have to compliment each other. What's scary too is they're 6-0 and can get better. Orton has avoided turnovers, as long as that can continue and defense is solid, every game is winnable.

Foochacho
10-20-2009, 12:19 AM
Well if you take away Eddies than you have to take away Sproles return as well. If this happens we still win. Also if you take away eddies don't forget that those are also two possessions we would of had, so who knows we may of scored points on those anyway and ate up more of the play clock.

We also had more offensive yards and more time of possession if we get those two possessions we get even more yards and more TOP. We win either way. Special teams are as much of the game as the offense or defense. You can't really play the what if a win is a win.

scott.475
10-20-2009, 12:22 AM
Another thing, too, is our short yardage running plays, we just do not seem to be getting it done there. I don't think Knowshon is the guy for that, at least not yet. I know Hillis has had a few issues this year, but gosh, I sure would like to see him get a few chances on those short yardage plays again and see if he can power through the line on those 3-and-1s.

Also, in my original post I did say "all other things being equal", I know all different results could have happened. More simply, I am worried about our offense if we really ended up being in a shootout with someone.

Foochacho
10-20-2009, 12:42 AM
I agree on the short yardage. Maybe Hillis will be our go to guy when Larsen gets back in to block for him. But I think Moreno can be that guy I just haven't seen too many holes for him in those situations. That leap was a great effort if he doesn't leap that drive is dead.

Kaylore
10-20-2009, 01:10 AM
Team win. Teams win games, not one unit. Sometimes its the D, sometimes it's the O, tonight it was the special teams. A win is a win.

Overtime
10-20-2009, 01:22 AM
well to be honest, the offense put up 20 points, and special teams put up 14. our defense is pretty much dictating how many points we have to score to win.

we bent tonight but we didn't break. Rivers only threw 1 passing td against us, the rest was sproles return for a td and Kaedings 3 field goals.

so we held the Chargers high powered offense to 1 TD, and 3 FG's...that's outstanding, especially when you have a guy like Rivers as the QB.

this defense is playing awesome. Total points allowed this season is 66 but our defense didn't give up the Sproles PR for a TD..that was the special teams, so in essence our defense has only given up 59 points over 6 games, which is good for a 9.8333333333 pts per game average.

overall the Broncos are allowing 11 points per game (total of 66 points through 6 weeks).

that's unheard of in the NFL.

DenBronx
10-20-2009, 01:24 AM
Team win. Teams win games, not one unit. Sometimes its the D, sometimes it's the O, tonight it was the special teams. A win is a win.

maybe we are the most well-rounded and complete team in the nfl.

frauschieze
10-20-2009, 01:38 AM
maybe we are the most well-rounded and complete team in the nfl.

Nah, that'd be the Saints at the moment.

Our special teams still needs quite a bit of work. We scored on a kick return and a punt return but we still allowed one too.

CrazyHorse
10-20-2009, 01:54 AM
Nah, that'd be the Saints at the moment.

Our special teams still needs quite a bit of work. We scored on a kick return and a punt return but we still allowed one too.

Broncos would give the Saints a run for their money...

Shazam!
10-20-2009, 01:56 AM
I believe the Broncos can play anyone in the NFL only because of their defense.

DenBronx
10-20-2009, 04:08 AM
I still think we have not showed all of our cards on offense yet. after the bye i think our O is going to come out swinging.

and yes we are the most well rounded. our D is better than the saints.

BroncoBJ
10-20-2009, 04:38 AM
Yea... but we do have Eddie, and we did win the game. That'd be like if the Chargers won the game because Rivers had 400 yards passing and 4 TD's. Do you think they'd sit there and say " well if we didn't have Rivers, we would have lost?" :lol:

A win is a win. 1 week we win with good defense and a crazy play at the end. 1 week we win with great defense and a well balanced offense, 1 week we do that again. 1 week we win with great 2nd, 3rd, 4th quarter defense and clutch plays from the offense. 1 week we win with a great 2nd half defense, and clutch plays by the offense in the 4th quarter and OT to win.

Then this week we win with a great return game, and great 2nd half defense again as well as an effeciant offense that got the job done.

I really love the way this offense can move the ball down field at any time. We have plenty of weapons. Were going to win games roughly 23-13 on a weekly basis. Thats not bad.

We do what it takes to win. Some weeks it will be Orton looking great, other games it will be our RB's going off. Other days it will be a great defensive win. Other days it will be great special teams. We can win more then 1 way and thats what good/great football teams do. Unlike last year where the only way to win is if we scored 30 points a game.

So quit your complaining and enjoy being 6-0. :salute:

Northman
10-20-2009, 05:48 AM
But we don't know what the offense would have do had Eddie not scored on those returns. The way the offense starting moving the ball once things settled down lead me to believe they might have scored more points if the returns had not gone for touchdowns.

Ill piggyback on this. I have to agree that we just dont know what was going to be called. Unlike the last few years under Shanahan i saw some plays last night that i hadnt seen before even this year. And they worked!

I have to admit after Sproles returned the punt for a TD i thought we could be in trouble. But thats where the adjustments that Nolan and McDaniels are doing are paying huge dividends. As long as we do that and keep playing smart football and not turning it over we will be ok and i think we can hang with anyone.

Its always a catch 22 with an NFL team. This year alone im watching teams like Bmore, Pitt, and Minny doing it more with offense than defense. Meanwhile teams like Denver and Cincy rely a little more on defense to be successful. 90% of the time you wont have both or one side will be a little more weighted than the other. I think we will be ok.

broncofaninfla
10-20-2009, 08:04 AM
I'm stoked we are 6-0 but I am concerened about our short yardage running game. We seemed to get stuffed on every short yardage play.

Den21vsBal19
10-20-2009, 08:10 AM
I'm stoked we are 5-0 but I am concerened about our short yardage running game. We seemed to get stuffed on every short yardage play.
6-0, old boy, 6 & oh ;)

But yeah, kick coverage & short yardage are the two areas of real concern at the moment

Traveler
10-20-2009, 08:33 AM
For years, I'd always get pissed at Shanahan because it seemed they would not make any defensive adjustments at halftime.

I can now say my suspicions were correct. Coach McDaniels, Nolan and the rest of the staff have been on point in the second half of games. Credit where credit is due!

scott.475
10-20-2009, 09:42 AM
For years, I'd always get pissed at Shanahan because it seemed they would not make any defensive adjustments at halftime.

I think we can all say we felt the same way. Geez, that was so frustrating, year after freaking year.

Dortoh
10-20-2009, 09:48 AM
ST coverage unit still leaves much to be desired and our short yardage offense needs to improve other then that how can you not love the way this team is playing.

Watchthemiddle
10-20-2009, 11:47 AM
There is nothing to worry about.
We are 6-0 and if your worried about the offense at 6-0, then just wait until they do click.

They look fine to me.

Medford Bronco
10-20-2009, 11:53 AM
ST coverage unit still leaves much to be desired and our short yardage offense needs to improve other then that how can you not love the way this team is playing.

I would give Hills some carries in the short yardage unit. He was good there last season

Den21vsBal19
10-20-2009, 11:57 AM
I would give Hills some carries in the short yardage unit. He was good there last season
I think the issue is more with the blocking rather than the backs, even with the back up guard at FB, we just aren't opening any holes for the backs to hit..........

Interesting that we don't lose yardage on the ground, I think there was a caption last night that we'd lost yards on something like 7 of 170 some carries.

weazel
10-20-2009, 12:00 PM
I have to admit I hated seeing Marshall kicking the freaking ball and Moreno taking his helmet off. Both really stupid penalties.

broncofaninfla
10-20-2009, 12:01 PM
I think the issue is more with the blocking rather than the backs, even with the back up guard at FB, we just aren't opening any holes for the backs to hit..........

Interesting that we don't lose yardage on the ground, I think there was a caption last night that we'd lost yards on something like 7 of 170 some carries.

I agree 100%, it's scheme and blocking. NONE of our backs has succeeded in the short yardage game.

shank
10-20-2009, 12:02 PM
I have to admit I hated seeing Marshall kicking the freaking ball and Moreno taking his helmet off. Both really stupid penalties.

moreno got penalized for spiking the football... he got away with taking his helmet off.

Dortoh
10-20-2009, 12:03 PM

I remember thinking that both of those actions go against everything coach McD is trying to do here. Play smart, play hard etc...

NightTrainLayne
10-20-2009, 12:06 PM

The Marshall kicking the ball was just inexcusable.

That cost us a 1st down in the Red Zone, on the road, in a Divisional match-up. It doesn't get much worse than that.

Just when Brandon seems to be getting his act together, his hot-head gets him in trouble again, and THIS time is was on the field in a huge game. Everyone always excuses his behavior because he shows up on the field. .. .well, this time his behavior cost us on the field. Luckily we had plenty of time to recover.

broncofaninfla
10-20-2009, 12:10 PM
The Marshall kicking the ball was just inexcusable.

That cost us a 1st down in the Red Zone, on the road, in a Divisional match-up. It doesn't get much worse than that.

Just when Brandon seems to be getting his act together, his hot-head gets him in trouble again, and THIS time is was on the field in a huge game. Everyone always excuses his behavior because he shows up on the field. .. .well, this time his behavior cost us on the field. Luckily we had plenty of time to recover.

I noticed Stokley ran up to him everytime he touched the ball to keep him in check from that point on.

weazel
10-20-2009, 12:21 PM
moreno got penalized for spiking the football... he got away with taking his helmet off.

thats right, good pickup

smith49
10-20-2009, 12:21 PM
I noticed Stokley ran up to him everytime he touched the ball to keep him in check from that point on.

yah, i got a little chuckle every time stokely grabbed marshall. good job stokely. also, in marshalls defense, he was getting held on the play and he was pissed as he should have been when he saw no flag. now kicking the ball is obviously stupid and uncalled for, but at least he is showing some passion and desire out there, and he is halling in passes. it would have been sweet if orton would have led him to the inside on that long pass, he so would have gone up and gotten it.

shank
10-20-2009, 12:30 PM
thats right, good pickup

lucky that he didn't, and still stupid, however. at least he's a rookie.

brandon's was truly stupid. especially with the PI already called :tsk:

shank
10-20-2009, 12:31 PM
yah, i got a little chuckle every time stokely grabbed marshall. good job stokely. also, in marshalls defense, he was getting held on the play and he was pissed as he should have been when he saw no flag. now kicking the ball is obviously stupid and uncalled for, but at least he is showing some passion and desire out there, and he is halling in passes. it would have been sweet if orton would have led him to the inside on that long pass, he so would have gone up and gotten it.

i don't know how he missed the flag. it was thrown before the ball hit the ground.

smith49
10-20-2009, 12:43 PM
i don't know how he missed the flag. it was thrown before the ball hit the ground.

well, your guess is as good as mine, but he didnt think it was comming out. still, im just trying to see some positive, even though what he did was flat out retarded, i like how passionate he has been. i dont even recall seeing that when cutnut was throwing him the ball. he seemed just cocky back then, where as now he seems to be hungry.

hopefully im not just seeing things how i want to. hopefully what im seeing is real and substainable.

OldschoolFreak
10-20-2009, 12:59 PM
well, your guess is as good as mine, but he didnt think it was comming out. still, im just trying to see some positive, even though what he did was flat out retarded, i like how passionate he has been.

Another sort of positive is that I think the refs got the call wrong. His should have been a dead ball fowl assessed after the play which should have resulted in a first down and then the yardage marked off.

Still a bonehead move though.

OldschoolFreak
10-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Ok, another thing to improve upon: I'll always take a strong finish over a fast start but I'd like to see both. We need to start coming our of the gate a bit better so we're not always playing from behind. Who knows though, maybe Nolan and the D are playing off the underdog role in the locker room at the half after they fall behind?