PDA

View Full Version : Bipolar Disorder In Kids

TXBRONC
09-04-2007, 10:08 AM
This is something that hits home with me because I suffer with it as well as my dad and my oldest daughter. The stink of it with adolescent children the doctors really need to be careful some things that give off the appearance of being bipolar may be just hormonal changes. For instance any of symptoms can actually be just the result of just being a kid.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_6794127

Bipolar diagnoses in kids rise sharply
Numbers have increased 40-fold since 1994, coinciding with a jump in the use of anti-psychotic drugs, but experts question whether the surge is real.
By Lindsey Tanner The Associated Press
Article Last Updated: 09/04/2007 12:25:23 AM MDT

Charlie Crow, 13, of Verona, N.J., was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 2001. He said the study doesn't surprise him because he knows lots of other kids who also have been diagnosed as bipolar. (AP | Mike Derer)Chicago - A new analysis suggests there has been a huge increase in the number of U.S. children diagnosed with bipolar disorder, but experts question whether the surge is real and say some kids have been mislabeled.

Researchers looked at the number of times people under age 19 went to the doctor and were diagnosed with or treated for bipolar disorder, also known as manic depression. They found a 40-fold increase, from an estimated 20,000 visits in 1994 to 800,000 in 2003. The jump coincided with children's rising use of anti-psychotic medicine.

The numbers echo other estimates suggesting as many as 1 million U.S. children are bipolar, but it remains a controversial diagnosis in children. That's partly because their symptoms often differ from adults', and because most powerful anti-psychotic drugs used to treat bipolar disorder were approved for adults and have not been well-studied in children.

Some doctors believe bipolar disorder doesn't occur in children, and until last month there was only one drug approved to treat the illness in kids.

The study's lead author, Dr. Mark Olfson of Columbia University and the New York State Psychiatric Institute, said the results likely reflect overdiagnosis now or underdiagnosis in the past, rather than a true increase. Olfson has received speaking fees from Janssen LP, which makes one of the pediatric bipolar drugs, and has consulted for other makers of psychiatric drugs.

Dr. Sharon Hirsch, a University of Chicago psychiatrist, said that while she is treating increasing numbers of bipolar children, she doubts there's a "vast epidemic."

More public awareness about mental illness, spurred partly by heavy marketing of psychiatric drugs, could have contributed to the surge.

Symptoms include extreme mood swings and disruptive behavior. In children, extreme irritability is sometimes the main symptom.

It affects more than 5 million adults. The causes are uncertain, but the disorder tends to run in families.

Dr. David Fassler, a University of Vermont psychiatry professor, said research suggests that close to half of children thought to be bipolar may be misdiagnosed. He said parents should get a second opinion if they have concerns about a diagnosis.

"Bipolar disorder is not always easy to recognize in children and adolescents. There's considerable overlap with other conditions, including ADHD, conduct disorder, anxiety disorders and depression," said Fassler, who was not involved in Olfson's study.

The study appears in the September issue of Archives of General Psychiatry.

Charlie Crow, 13, of Verona, N.J., who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 2001, said the results don't surprise him because he knows lots of other kids who are bipolar. When he was first diagnosed at age 7, though, he felt alone and isolated. He said it helps to know there are other kids like him.

"They know how I feel, and I know how they feel," he said.

anton...
09-04-2007, 10:17 AM
i would say kids are being diagnosed with it because of the extremely high sugar diets that kids are on these days and the mood swings result from sugar crashes...

but how could this be true??

the sugar loaded foods have been around since the 50's...

so i blame meth...
________
Marijuana Bubbler (http://bubblers.net/)

Requiem / The Dagda
09-04-2007, 11:34 AM
My brother was recently diagnosed with this, and I wonder if it has anything to do with his constant abuse of alcohol.

TXBRONC
09-04-2007, 11:39 AM
My brother was recently diagnosed with this, and I wonder if it has anything to do with his constant abuse of alcohol.

A lot of people with bi polar disorder also abuse alcohol as well.