12-27-2007, 06:17 PM
They're at it again
First Michigan and now the Falcons
Is this even allowed? Sounds like tampering
Waiting for the story to be posted
What did OAK get for Gruden? two 1st

FALCONS SNIFFING AROUND SHANAHAN?
Posted by Mike Florio on December 27, 2007 5:09 pm

A league source tells us that the Atlanta Falcons are exploring the possibility of pursuing Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan.

As the rumor/scuttlebutt goes, Shanahan would run the show in Atlanta, as the head coach and de facto G.M.

Though he’s still under contract with the Broncos, the thinking is that owner Pat Bowlen might be happy to let him leave, given the struggles of the team in 2007.

Another name that has emerged in Atlanta is Chiefs V.P. of player personnel Bill Kuharich. It’s possible that both Shanahan and Kuharich could join the Falcons, with Kuharich serving as the G.M. but Shanahan calling the shots.

Italianmobstr7
12-27-2007, 06:45 PM
I doubt that there is any truth to this. Bowlen would give his left nut to keep Shanny in Denver.

Kapaibro
12-27-2007, 06:48 PM
Because PFT is such a valid news source.

Skinny
12-27-2007, 06:49 PM
As far as the 'rumor', i would'nt doubt it.

As far as the Falcons go ... do you blame them?? Seriously ...

Now as far as " ... the thinking is that owner Pat Bowlen might be happy to let him leave, given the struggles of the team in 2007."

Somebody needs to crawl from up under that rock their living under ...

Rex
12-27-2007, 06:51 PM
I highly doubt that Bowlen lets Shanny walk.

Kapaibro
12-27-2007, 06:52 PM
And there's that pesky contract extension.

Tned
12-27-2007, 06:57 PM
They're at it again

A league source tells us that the Atlanta Falcons are exploring the possibility of pursuing Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan.

As the rumor/scuttlebutt goes, Shanahan would run the show in Atlanta, as the head coach and de facto G.M.

Though he’s still under contract with the Broncos, the thinking is that owner Pat Bowlen might be happy to let him leave, given the struggles of the team in 2007.

Another name that has emerged in Atlanta is Chiefs V.P. of player personnel Bill Kuharich. It’s possible that both Shanahan and Kuharich could join the Falcons, with Kuharich serving as the G.M. but Shanahan calling the shots.

I think if the Falcons approached Shanny, then it is tampering, if they Falcons approached Bowlen, or notified the league of the intention to ask Bowlen for permission to talk to Shanny, then it would be ok.

It's like the Broncos gave the Texans (I think it was the TExans, right before he signed with them) permission to interview Kubiak, while the Broncos were still in the playoffs.

Also, since this job would have him being a head coach and GM, where now Sundquist is the GM, that might mean that it would be a promotion, and that as soon as the season is over, they could contact Shanny and he could move even if under contract, and without Bowlen's permission.

I don't know the rules for this situation, but I know that an offensive coordinator under contract can terminate his contract and go to another team if he is made head coach or even assitant head coach, because it is a promotion.

claymore
12-27-2007, 06:57 PM
3 First rounders 5 2nd rounders, and they can have shanny, and We throw in Henry and Gold. TIA.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t34/cemoowxx/alcoholic.gif

Rex
12-27-2007, 06:58 PM
3 First rounders 5 2nd rounders, and they can have shanny, and We throw in Henry and Gold. TIA.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t34/cemoowxx/alcoholic.gif

Well, if Gold is involved, then they need to throw in a huge bag of puffy cheetos.

claymore
12-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Well, if Gold is involved, then they need to throw in a huge bag of puffy cheetos.How good is there Punter?

JONtheBRONCO
12-27-2007, 07:04 PM
Give them Shanny and give us their 1st and 2nd rounders for the next 5 years.

dogfish
12-27-2007, 07:25 PM
shiiiii. . . .

for two firsts, they can have him-- we'll even throw in an autographed elway jersey!

JONtheBRONCO
12-27-2007, 07:28 PM
Pro football talk?

JONtheBRONCO
12-27-2007, 07:28 PM
Go I love my sig, but it's monsterous

Ricky
12-27-2007, 07:29 PM
Shanny may like a new challenge

TXBRONC
12-27-2007, 07:30 PM
I don't put any stock in this rumor right now.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-27-2007, 07:37 PM
Yeah, it's a rumor - who puts stock into rumors anyways? That's why it's a rumor.

Ricky
12-27-2007, 07:38 PM
Yeah, it's a rumor - who puts stock into rumors anyways? That's why it's a rumor.

Sometimes when things get thrown, they stick

lex
12-27-2007, 07:43 PM
They're at it again

Shanahan must have kicked this guy in the privates and shaved his head. This guy is constantly doing this. But the more he does this, the more people remember the "Shanahan to Michigan" rumor. He should just stop because he is making himself look bad. Even if its true, he should let someone else report it because he is such a joke right now. What rock did this Florio dude climb from under anyway?

DenBronx
12-27-2007, 07:58 PM
actually for two 1st rounders they can have shanahan. i think he is an awesome coach and all but imagine what two 1st rounders FROM ATLANTA will do. they are one of the worst teams in the nfl and i can see them sucking bad enough to guarantee us a top 5 pick both of those years. my guess is they would also take on his contract?

then we could go after cowher. :D

omac
12-27-2007, 08:10 PM
actually for two 1st rounders they can have shanahan. i think he is an awesome coach and all but imagine what two 1st rounders FROM ATLANTA will do. they are one of the worst teams in the nfl and i can see them sucking bad enough to guarantee us a top 5 pick both of those years. my guess is they would also take on his contract?

then we could go after cowher. :D

No, no, no. The Raiders have consistently been picking high, yet without the right coach, it hasn't helped them.

And no to Cowher; everything will be practically scrapped.

SarahKay
12-27-2007, 08:19 PM
No ******* way.
If that ever happened I think I'd knock down a tree with my fist...
For one... Shanny needs to stay in Denver.. and two.. I HATE THE ******* FALCONS!

claymore
12-27-2007, 08:22 PM
Florio does break allot of stories. The Marshall outburst is the most recent. If he is writing it, someone is saying it.......

MileHighWrath
12-27-2007, 09:08 PM
They're just sniffing to see if his **** truly does smell like roses.

claymore
12-27-2007, 09:56 PM
They're just sniffing to see if his **** truly does smell like roses.They should just ask Zam, cause he has been all over Shanny's Doo Doo lately.

broncosfanscott
12-27-2007, 10:18 PM
This is obviously BS. It won't happen because I don't think Bowlen will let Shanny go and why would a coach go there........that organization is falling apart quickly and will take a few years to fix. One crappy year and there are rumors of Shanahan going elsewhere.....come on.

Dreadnought
12-27-2007, 10:23 PM
Shanahan must have kicked this guy in the privates and shaved his head. This guy is constantly doing this. But the more he does this, the more people remember the "Shanahan to Michigan" rumor. He should just stop because he is making himself look bad. Even if its true, he should let someone else report it because he is such a joke right now. What rock did this Florio dude climb from under anyway?

That pretty much sums up Florio. Between him and a couple of old Freak posters there is an obsessive desire to run down Shanahan's value to Denver. Really pretty silly

slim
12-27-2007, 10:24 PM
That pretty much sums up Florio. Between him and a couple of old Freak posters there is an obsessive desire to run down Shanahan's value to Denver. Really pretty silly

LOL...I was wondering if Bronx wrote the article.

BeefStew25
12-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Shanny may like a new challenge

And summer's off.....

Dreadnought
12-27-2007, 10:25 PM
LOL...I was wondering if Bronx wrote the article.

I'm pretty sure it was ghostwritten by BBF!

Lancane
12-27-2007, 11:38 PM
Just so you know this has just been confirmed by KOA Radio, Atlanta has been in contact with Shanahan to take over the vacant Head Coaching position. Details at the moment are unclear as is the details of what has been said between Shanahan and the Falcons thus far!

This could be a very bad news, because Atlanta will likely offer a maddening sum to get Shanahan.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-27-2007, 11:40 PM
In a sad way, I kind of want to see what this team is like without Shanahan.

Lancane
12-27-2007, 11:43 PM

Well just hopefully what ever happens we get at least better then we were this season! And improve enough for long-term stability.

Lonestar
12-27-2007, 11:44 PM
They're at it again

WOrks for me..

Tned
12-27-2007, 11:45 PM
Well just hopefully what ever happens we get at least better then we were this season! And improve enough for long-term stability.

I don't know what coaching candidates are out there, but while Shanny might have his faults, he has managed to keep Denver to only two losing seasons with him at the healm, and what something like 8 of those seasons were without Elway.

lex
12-27-2007, 11:49 PM
And remember, a lot of our personnel on offense is set up for the zone blocking system. So, whoever it is, if its not a ZBS coach, it might require the kind of roster turnover that would be kind of tough. Who, then, do you see as the best candidate to replace Shanahan if he does take the Atlanta (or Michigan) job?

Lancane
12-27-2007, 11:52 PM
I don't know what coaching candidates are out there, but while Shanny might have his faults, he has managed to keep Denver to only two losing seasons with him at the healm, and what something like 8 of those seasons were without Elway.

I never thought about Shanahan leaving yet T, so it is odd...but everyone said this was false, and then on KOA louder then day they announce that it is true. Bad thing is that we can not afford to match what the Falcons may be willing to pay. I think Sherman and Heimerdinger would be the two front runners to take the HC position, both have ties here, of course Heimerdinger is assistant head coach now, but we have an overall productive offense under him, so I wonder what changes would come if he was named HC...I would not give him GM directives though, we need to hire a GM if this is true.

lex
12-27-2007, 11:54 PM
I never thought about Shanahan leaving yet T, so it is odd...but everyone said this was false, and then on KOA louder then day they announce that it is true. Bad thing is that we can not afford to match what the Falcons may be willing to pay. I think Sherman and Heimerdinger would be the two front runners to take the HC position, both have ties here, of course Heimerdinger is assistant head coach now, but we have an overall productive offense under him, so I wonder what changes would come if he was named HC...I would not give him GM directives though, we need to hire a GM if this is true.

Please not Sherman! That guys horrible. Id rather have someone like Greg Knapp.

Lancane
12-27-2007, 11:55 PM
And remember, a lot of our personnel on offense is set up for the zone blocking system. So, whoever it is, if its not a ZBS coach, it might require the kind of roster turnover that would be kind of tough. Who, then, do you see as the best candidate to replace Shanahan if he does take the Atlanta (or Michigan) job?

Not true Lex, the zone blocking scheme has been faulty as of late, and it might be time to change to a more stable type offense, especially with regards to the offensive line...and a new coach would likely bring a new staff or some, so do not expect to see it the same as it has been.

dogfish
12-27-2007, 11:57 PM
Just so you know this has just been confirmed by KOA Radio, Atlanta has been in contact with Shanahan to take over the vacant Head Coaching position. Details at the moment are unclear as is the details of what has been said between Shanahan and the Falcons thus far!

This could be a very bad news, because Atlanta will likely offer a maddening sum to get Shanahan.

well, no matter how much they offer, they can't do squat unless they compensate us-- he is, after all, under contract here. . .

depending on the last week and how the strength of schedule plays out, they're looking at picking between #2 and about #5 overall this year. . . i'd take that pick for shanahan, especially if they're throwing in another high pick either this year or next year, ala tampa's trade for gruden!

i've always ridiculed people for their "fire shanahan!!!111!!!111" threads, but the truth is, no matter how well he's done here, and how comfortable we feel with him, there ARE other coaches out here. . . and it isn't written in stone anywhere that denver can't succeed without mike shanahan. . . plenty of smart, aggressive young guys have taken over franchises around the league recently and done good things-- sean payton, mike mccarthy, mike tomlin-- and kubes clearly has the texans on the right track. . . i love having a proven winner as our coach, but at the same time it wouldn't be the end of the world to bring in a hungry new guy with some different ideas. . .

as a side topic-- who would people want if shanahan actually did leave? not who do you think we'd get, but who would you want?

i'd fire 'dinger, let bobby turner take over the offense, and hire mike singletary . . . :werd:

Tned
12-27-2007, 11:58 PM

Problem with Heimerdinger is that his influence has apparently been horrible for the offense. Meaning, that by all accounts, it is he that has attempted to turn a Broncos team with small zone blocking linemen into a drop back passing offense.

If he can remake the line during the offseason, then his style might be great, but from where I sit, his influence has been damaging over the last two seasons.

Why do you say the Broncos can't match what Atlanta would offer?

lex
12-28-2007, 12:00 AM
Not true Lex, the zone blocking scheme has been faulty as of late, and it might be time to change to a more stable type offense, especially with regards to the offensive line...and a new coach would likely bring a new staff or some, so do not expect to see it the same as it has been.

So what are you disagreeing with...that we have personnel for the ZBS? BTW, its not so much the system itself but the contentment with still getting guys off the scrap heap and letting them wait two years on the practice squad. If you have the talent, you can still do the ZBS.

Tned
12-28-2007, 12:03 AM
well, no matter how much they offer, they can't do squat unless they compensate us-- he is, after all, under contract here. . .

The question I have is whether or not if they hire him as headcoach/GM is that considered a promotion, ala when an offensive coordinator gets a head coach or assistant head coach job? I know in the case of an OC being offered a head coach, or assistant head coach job, they are allowed out of their contract without compensation or permission from the club they are under contract with.

dogfish
12-28-2007, 12:13 AM
The question I have is whether or not if they hire him as headcoach/GM is that considered a promotion, ala when an offensive coordinator gets a head coach or assistant head coach job? I know in the case of an OC being offered a head coach, or assistant head coach job, they are allowed out of their contract without compensation or permission from the club they are under contract with.

i don't have a 100% certain answer to that, but i really doubt it. . . especially because GM is only a glorified scout/gopher here anyways-- shanahan has the final say on personnel decisions, and that's pretty much common knowledge. . . unless he wants to write up the actual contracts, maybe set ticket prices, there's really no way he can have much more total control over football operations. . .

Lancane
12-28-2007, 12:14 AM
Problem with Heimerdinger is that his influence has apparently been horrible for the offense. Meaning, that by all accounts, it is he that has attempted to turn a Broncos team with small zone blocking linemen into a drop back passing offense.

If he can remake the line during the offseason, then his style might be great, but from where I sit, his influence has been damaging over the last two seasons.

Why do you say the Broncos can't match what Atlanta would offer?

Cutler did not fit Shanahan's current style, personally I like Heimerdinger's scheme better then Shanahan's, and Cutler has done things other rookies and second year quarterbacks have not done under Heimerdinger who is fundemental to Cutler, because he is also aiding the quarterback. And the zone blocking does little in the way of pass blocking, it is a great running scheme...and that is why Plummer who I admit is more mobile was so successful here.

We do not need a lot to revamp the line past the zone blocking crud, all we need is one or two solid big men on the line, I think Kuper and Pears would be very successful out of the zone line scheme, whereas Lepsis and Hamilton really are the odd men out.

Lancane
12-28-2007, 12:18 AM
So what are you disagreeing with...that we have personnel for the ZBS? BTW, its not so much the system itself but the contentment with still getting guys off the scrap heap and letting them wait two years on the practice squad. If you have the talent, you can still do the ZBS.

We have the personnel, but it does not fit the quarterback...I have mentioned this before, but even Elway's offensive line was more then just zone blockers, they knew how to form a pocket and protect the quarterback, for too long our zone line scheme has had to do with the run over the passing offense because of Plummer's mobility. I see it as a liability now and it would be nice to see a change, which I think wether or not Shanahan goes or stays will be somewhat changed come autumn.

Tned
12-28-2007, 12:19 AM
i don't have a 100% certain answer to that, but i really doubt it. . . especially because GM is only a glorified scout/gopher here anyways-- shanahan has the final say on personnel decisions, and that's pretty much common knowledge. . . unless he wants to write up the actual contracts, maybe set ticket prices, there's really no way he can have much more total control over football operations. . .

Except with the Broncos he isn't GM, which is considered a higher position than head coach. The OP said defacto GM, which is what he is in Denver, but if they specifically named him GM, that would be a promotion, I just don't know if promotions count with head coaches or only lowere coaches in terms of getting out of contracts.

lex
12-28-2007, 12:20 AM
Cutler did not fit Shanahan's current style, personally I like Heimerdinger's scheme better then Shanahan's, and Cutler has done things other rookies and second year quarterbacks have not done under Heimerdinger who is fundemental to Cutler, because he is also aiding the quarterback. And the zone blocking does little in the way of pass blocking, it is a great running scheme...and that is why Plummer who I admit is more mobile was so successful here.

We do not need a lot to revamp the line past the zone blocking crud, all we need is one or two solid big men on the line, I think Kuper and Pears would be very successful out of the zone line scheme, whereas Lepsis and Hamilton really are the odd men out.

I think it would help more than to have an undrafted free agent/practice squad special and some injured old guy trying to block guys at tackle. Its not a problem with the system problem as much as its a talent problem-- our guys have none.

lex
12-28-2007, 12:22 AM
We have the personnel, but it does not fit the quarterback...I have mentioned this before, but even Elway's offensive line was more then just zone blockers, they knew how to form a pocket and protect the quarterback, for too long our zone line scheme has had to do with the run over the passing offense because of Plummer's mobility. I see it as a liability now and it would be nice to see a change, which I think wether or not Shanahan goes or stays will be somewhat changed come autumn.

Ive already responded to this. Youre cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Lancane
12-28-2007, 12:25 AM
I think it would help more than to have an undrafted free agent/practice squad special and some injured old guy trying to block guys at tackle. Its not a problem with the system problem as much as its a talent problem-- our guys have none.

True...if we had a Zimmerman-type and Schlereth-type linemen, who could do both well including forming a pass protection pocket and could be utilized in the zone line scheme, then maybe...but to do that, Shanahan or whomever would have to use a high draft pick and likely sign the likes of Ryan Lija or another top free agent guard.

Lancane
12-28-2007, 12:27 AM
Ive already responded to this. Youre cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Not really, I was replying one to you another to T, and you answered off his response...not the one I posted regarding what you had said...thanks anyways!

:hat:

lex
12-28-2007, 12:30 AM
True...if we had a Zimmerman-type and Schlereth-type linemen, who could do both well including forming a pass protection pocket and could be utilized in the zone line scheme, then maybe...but to do that, Shanahan or whomever would have to use a high draft pick and likely sign the likes of Ryan Lija or another top free agent guard.

We need to draft a tackle regardless of scheme...actually two tackles. So, why again do we need a new system?

Tned
12-28-2007, 12:32 AM
Except with the Broncos he isn't GM, which is considered a higher position than head coach. The OP said defacto GM, which is what he is in Denver, but if they specifically named him GM, that would be a promotion, I just don't know if promotions count with head coaches or only lowere coaches in terms of getting out of contracts.

The better comparison than Gruden that was mentioned earlier was when Holmgren left Green Bay. He was still under contract, and wanted to be both head coach and GM. He was offered Seattle's Vice President of football operations, GM and headcoach position, which was a promotion over head coach and he resigned as head coach of Green Bay. What I don't know is whether or not GB gave him permission to get out of his contract, or the fact he wasn't making a 'lateral' movement, but moving to a better job allowed him out, just like when an OC can resign while under contract to take a head coaching job.

Lancane
12-28-2007, 12:40 AM
The better comparison than Gruden that was mentioned earlier was when Holmgren left Green Bay. He was still under contract, and wanted to be both head coach and GM. He was offered Seattle's Vice President of football operations, GM and headcoach position, which was a promotion over head coach and he resigned as head coach of Green Bay. What I don't know is whether or not GB gave him permission to get out of his contract, or the fact he wasn't making a 'lateral' movement, but moving to a better job allowed him out, just like when an OC can resign while under contract to take a head coaching job.

Not sure myself, but I believe you are right. It has to be a promotion of position, here Shanahan is vice president of football operations, so if they offer him president of football operations or general manager it would be eligible as such...I believe but am not 100% sure.

jrelway
12-28-2007, 12:44 AM
never thought this day would come so soon, talks of shanahan leaving..if the rumors are true, we better rip atlanta off big time.

Lancane
12-28-2007, 12:46 AM
We need to draft a tackle regardless of scheme...actually two tackles. So, why again do we need a new system?

I think we can go with a new system, not saying we will. But the system for the last two years has really been for a better word subpar, while Cutler is not as mobile as Plummer, and it is not always easy to find the best pass blockers who fit a zone line scheme, this year for example name a first round left tackle product suited for the zone blocking scheme here? And is noted also as a capable pass blocker...

Bronco4ever
12-28-2007, 12:48 AM
To get back to the article at the beginning of the thread, Adam Schefter said on the NFLN that he thinks Mike Singletary will become the next Head Coach of the dirty birds. Schefter is usually right on with rumors like that so we might be doing all this life without Shanny talk for no reason.

DenBronx
12-28-2007, 12:50 AM

depending on the last week and how the strength of schedule plays out, they're looking at picking between #2 and about #5 overall this year. . . i'd take that pick for shanahan, especially if they're throwing in another high pick either this year or next year, ala tampa's trade for gruden!

i've always ridiculed people for their "fire shanahan!!!111!!!111" threads, but the truth is, no matter how well he's done here, and how comfortable we feel with him, there ARE other coaches out here. . . and it isn't written in stone anywhere that denver can't succeed without mike shanahan. . . plenty of smart, aggressive young guys have taken over franchises around the league recently and done good things-- sean payton, mike mccarthy, mike tomlin-- and kubes clearly has the texans on the right track. . . i love having a proven winner as our coach, but at the same time it wouldn't be the end of the world to bring in a hungry new guy with some different ideas. . .

as a side topic-- who would people want if shanahan actually did leave? not who do you think we'd get, but who would you want?

i'd fire 'dinger, let bobby turner take over the offense, and hire mike singletary . . . :werd:

i already said my pick was cowher earlier. i think he would step in and light a fire under this team. the dude LOVES to run the football so our tradition of having a good running game would still be the base of this offense. he too has a good winning record and maybe he could persuade polomalu to come to denver.

more importantly, id love atlanta's 1st rounder this year. we would HAVE to get mcfadden. a really good ot AND mcfadden??? wow....our offense would be crazy.

of course atlanta would also have to take henry if we gave them shanahan. :D

lex
12-28-2007, 12:58 AM
I think we can go with a new system, not saying we will. But the system for the last two years has really been for a better word subpar, while Cutler is not as mobile as Plummer, and it is not always easy to find the best pass blockers who fit a zone line scheme, this year for example name a first round left tackle product suited for the zone blocking scheme here? And is noted also as a capable pass blocker...

I think your wrong. You dont know that based on what youve seen because of the types of offensive linemen that weve been targeting. Weve basically been trying to get by with lower round guys and unwanted FAs. We might be able to find someone this way occasionally, but we need to put more of a premium on offensive linemen not change the system.

Are you asking me to name people from the 2008 draft class or this years rookies?

Simple Jaded
12-28-2007, 01:33 AM
There are still some players left on that offense from Alex Gibbs' days there that really fit what Shanahan likes.

So let's look at what's left on the cupboard:

Harrington, who Shanahan was rumored to be trying to bring in before Ramsey. He most likely would be keeping the seat warm for the next guy, regardless. I actually respect Leftwich, so you know he's gone.

Dunn, Norwood and Mughelli. I respect Dunn's career as much as anyone else's in the past ten years and I think he's still got a little left in the tank. Norwood played better under Gibbs than he did last year. In Mughelli, he'd have the Howard Griffith he's been missing.

Other than Justin Blaylock (Who I really wanted Denver to draft last year), they still have a lot of lineman that fit what Shanahan likes, the other four of the starting five as of now are......Ojinnaka 295LB's, 5th round......McClure 286, 7th round......Forney 307, 7th round......Clabo 314, FA (A Denver FA). Forney and Clabo would have to drop about 20LB's, but they clearly have the lack of talent Shanahan that loves.

Horn, Jenkins, White and Crumpler. In Horn, he'd have the over-the-hill vet FA that's been a staple here in Denver. In Jenkins he'd have the 1st round bust WR, again another staple here. But in White he'd have a WR that he can compare to the best that's ever played, you guessed it, another Shanahan staple. In Crumpler he'd have the staple that is also known as a great TE.

A defense that has some really good talent: Brooking, Hall, Anderson, Abraham, Boley, Williams and Chris Houston. And the DT's are tiny as well, he loves that!

He'd have total control.

And he'd have a rich owner that is BEGGING for a winner!!!!!!

The Falcons are a team that has a lot of fitting parts/similarities, and you could count on them drafting somebody like Andre Woodson or Brian Brohm in the first round.....

Simple Jaded
12-28-2007, 01:41 AM

I completely agree with this......There is no need to scrap the system......The need is for better players......

I think their run system is an ideal system, so why does it absolutely have to have nobodies to run it?

Not saying getting a Walter Jones type is at all possible, I just refuse to believe the elite players at this position couldn't be even better in this system......

Timmy!
12-28-2007, 04:23 AM
I would be SHOCKED if Shanny wasn't the head coach of the Denver Broncos for the 2008 football season. SHOCKED.

sneakers
12-28-2007, 04:31 AM
I would be SHOCKED if Shanny wasn't the head coach of the Denver Broncos for the 2008 football season. SHOCKED.

I would be also....it would be darn creepy without him on the sidelines.

Nomad
12-28-2007, 10:34 AM
Hopefully after Sunday's games in the press conference, Shanahan remarks on this whether it's true or not. If he's talking to Atlanta then maybe he feels his time in Denver is coming to a close and starting fresh somewhere else would be a good move. If he decides to go then I will wish him the best of luck and thank him for his years at Denver. Until then it's only talk.

Kapaibro
12-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Atlanta is interested in Shanny/Belichick/Schott/insert any NFL coaches name here who will work through an entire season and/or contract/Cam Cameron/Cowher

Atlanta is interested in: winning, QB's who throw the ball, winning, O-lines that work, winning, honest players, winning, not sucking, winning, not being made to look like idiots by their grossly overpaid QB, winning, not being made to look like fools by their lying SOB coach, winning

Get my drift.

NightTrainLayne
12-28-2007, 11:15 AM
Shanny's not going anywhere. When he leaves Denver he will be retiring his Coaching persona.

BOSSHOGG30
12-28-2007, 11:40 AM
Give us Norwood, Rodney White, 1st round pick and 2nd round pick for 2009 and I will say it's a deal.

Simple Jaded
12-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Give us Norwood, Rodney White, 1st round pick and 2nd round pick for 2009 and I will say it's a deal.

Throw in Keith Brooking instead of Norwood and I'm with ya......But I don't think trades for HC's is allowed anymore......

Kapaibro
12-28-2007, 03:22 PM
I'll let him go if they throw in a Green Card and a newly divorced Joey Harrington, oh, and their 1st round picks for the next squillion years.

Broncolingus
12-28-2007, 03:27 PM
"Sniffing" around Shanahan...

That's a pretty funny choice of words to be using with the Falcons these days...

I don't know if Bowlen can get his head out of Shanahan's fanny at this point to let him go...I think they've become one.

Kapaibro
12-28-2007, 03:28 PM
"Sniffing" around Shanahan...

That's a pretty funny choice of words to be using with the Falcons these days...

I don't know if Bowlen can get his head out of Shanahan's fanny at this point to let him go...I think they've become one.

hehehe Shanny Fanny

Broncolingus
12-28-2007, 03:29 PM
hehehe Shanny Fanny

OMG.......you even highlighted it.

-total chick thing-

Jwalk - JayCutty6Goes - CasinoRoyal
12-28-2007, 06:50 PM
They're at it again

This is the best news i have heard in weeks, Ill gladly let Shanny go down there and rebuild ATL if this is true. Our players do not respond to this guy anymore. Id definitly like to see Mike Singletary be out next head coach, A guy who can actually motivate men and light a fire under them. When your teams plays with no intensity and fire every game it comes from the head coach position. Ill always love shanny but heyyy people come and people go.

lex
12-28-2007, 07:49 PM
This is the best news i have heard in weeks, Ill gladly let Shanny go down there and rebuild ATL if this is true. Our players do not respond to this guy anymore. Id definitly like to see Mike Singletary be out next head coach, A guy who can actually motivate men and light a fire under them. When your teams plays with no intensity and fire every game it comes from the head coach position. Ill always love shanny but heyyy people come and people go.

Yeah and wait until you see how much of a tactician he is compared to Shanahan. In the NFL, Xs and Os matter and believe it or not Shanahan might be the best at this. He is and always has relied on pros to be professional and it shouldnt come down to rah-rah speeches. Be careful what you wish for.

12-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Yeah and wait until you see how much of a tactician he is compared to Shanahan. In the NFL, Xs and Os matter and believe it or not Shanahan might be the best at this. He is and always has relied on pros to be professional and it shouldnt come down to rah-rah speeches. Be careful what you wish for.

X and O's looks like it dont even matter with this team, Show me those beautiful plays he loves to call in the redzone. Like not giving BMarsh any shots hardly ever in the redzone.

lex
12-28-2007, 09:42 PM
X and O's looks like it dont even matter with this team, Show me those beautiful plays he loves to call in the redzone. Like not giving BMarsh any shots hardly ever in the redzone.

Theyre so bereft of talent it doesnt even matter. I wont jump on every personnel decision Shanahan has made but he has made his share of bad decisions for sure.

Timmy!
12-29-2007, 04:37 AM
People want to give Bates "another year" but want Shanny's head.....go figure.

silkamilkamonico
12-29-2007, 04:42 AM
People want to give Bates "another year" but want Shanny's head.....go figure.

Probably because Bates has only had 1 year, without his players.

Shanahan's had, well, 8 now, after the SuperBowls, and with all his players.

Ain't that hard to figure out who really isn't getting it done.

12-29-2007, 02:05 PM
Probably because Bates has only had 1 year, without his players.

Shanahan's had, well, 8 now, after the SuperBowls, and with all his players.

Ain't that hard to figure out who really isn't getting it done.

Co-signed^^^^ Bates has had 1 year without his personell, Shanny has had 8 years of being average. Sure he has some nice players he picked up, But look back at our last 7-8 drafts, About 90% of those players only played a couple seasons in Denver before being out of the league or studs on another team. Can we ever forget the letting Berry,Hayward, Price go? Then bring in the Browncos? We let our home grown DL walk and bring in other teams bums. Thats why our DL has takin so long to be good, It should be fine next year since we finally got our own young guys who is talented. But when there contracts are up, If Shanny is here? Chances are we wont even resign them.

Tned
12-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Co-signed^^^^ Bates has had 1 year without his personell, Shanny has had 8 years of being average. Sure he has some nice players he picked up, But look back at our last 7-8 drafts, About 90% of those players only played a couple seasons in Denver before being out of the league or studs on another team. Can we ever forget the letting Berry,Hayward, Price go? Then bring in the Browncos? We let our home grown DL walk and bring in other teams bums. Thats why our DL has takin so long to be good, It should be fine next year since we finally got our own young guys who is talented. But when there contracts are up, If Shanny is here? Chances are we wont even resign them.

That might be, but the NFL is cyclical, although far less cyclical in Denver than other cities. Look at the 6+ years in Denver before Shanny got there. The early and mid-90's were dismal. They would have been far worse without number 7 winning games the team had no right to win.

As I said, the grass isn't aways greener. Ask the fans of the 20+ (taking a guess at the total, rather than compiling stats) clubs that have fewer wins in those 8 years than Denver.

12-29-2007, 02:17 PM
Those were the days, These are the times. Were losing more and more games every year over the last 3 years. You cant hang on to Shanny because of what he did in the late 90's, This is a what have you done for me lately type of league. Shanny seems to get a pass for being a bad coach because of the superbowls. Its clear he cannot motivate this generation of players. As ive said in the past, When your team does not play with attitude and fire it comes from the headcoach. So what we need to do is bring somebody in here who can do that. Mike singletary, Mike Holmgren, Bill Cowher, The indy QB coach *Forgot his name*. Theres Alot of guys out there that could come in here and light fire under these guys. Love Shanny but his time should be up in Denver. Thats just my opinion, Prolly wont happen but it should.

NightTrainLayne
12-29-2007, 02:25 PM
Those were the days, These are the times. Were losing more and more games every year over the last 3 years. You cant hang on to Shanny because of what he did in the late 90's, This is a what have you done for me lately type of league. Shanny seems to get a pass for being a bad coach because of the superbowls. Its clear he cannot motivate this generation of players. As ive said in the past, When your team does not play with attitude and fire it comes from the headcoach. So what we need to do is bring somebody in here who can do that. Mike singletary, Mike Holmgren, Bill Cowher, The indy QB coach *Forgot his name*. Theres Alot of guys out there that could come in here and light fire under these guys. Love Shanny but his time should be up in Denver. Thats just my opinion, Prolly wont happen but it should.

Losing more and more games these past 3 years? 2 years ago we were 13-3 and played the AFC Championship at home with an admittedly mediocre QB.

And, Coach "Forgot his name" didn't look too great until he got an HOFer to play for him. I guess that's why you can't remember his name. Maybe you should just call him "Peyton Manning's position coach"

You are right about one thing. This is a "what have you done for me this year league", and the fans are the worst about it.

12-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Losing more and more games these past 3 years? 2 years ago we were 13-3 and played the AFC Championship at home with an admittedly mediocre QB.

And, Coach "Forgot his name" didn't look too great until he got an HOFer to play for him. I guess that's why you can't remember his name. Maybe you should just call him "Peyton Manning's position coach"

You are right about one thing. This is a "what have you done for me this year league", and the fans are the worst about it.

When i say the last 3 years im counting this season, 13-3, to what 9-7 an dnow this year 6-10. Were obviously not getting better, Even though we are younger. its just the lack of fire there playing with and i feel that comes from the head coach not being able to motivate players. Look at the chargers before they fired Marty, They didnt win alot of games up untill last year but they played hard. Seahawks under Holmgrem PLAY HARD, I can go on and on. Our guys are just not playing hard and tough. there just running around loafing exspecially on Defense.

Lancane
12-29-2007, 03:46 PM
The issue is that PFT broke the story, tagged as a rumor...then KOA of Denver confirmed it, making it at that time news and a fact more then a rumor...it has been verified by a third source as of yesterday evening.

KOA 850 the voice of the Broncos verified the rumor was true, as did 680 The Fan in Atlanta! The issue again is not if it is true, but if it is but one sided, that Atlanta wishes to speak with Shanahan and if he has thus decilined or not is unknown! And the Bowlen statements in regards to not allowing such holds as much weight as air in a bag; Bowlen can not stop Shanahan from speaking to Atlanta, if he tried he could be fined by the league, and I shall tell you why. It states in that no owner or coach can hinder another of their staff from entertaining offers which may be of or are in themselves a promotion over their current position. That means if the position is equal to his current but offers more money or is a promotion over his current position, Bowlen can do nothing...now if it was that Atlanta wished to offer him the Offensive Coordinator position then Bowlen can try and stop talks, but Shanahan could force Bowlen to at worst waiver the remains of his contract only, making him capable to still speak to Atlanta.

Really the choice is Shanahans, he may have already told Atlanta that he is not interested and that is the end of it...but why has that not been confirmed, maybe he is waiting to see how the weekend plays out...or maybe he is seriously thinking about it. But please stop calling this a farse, because KOA has been the radio voice of the Broncos longer then Shanahan has had a tenure here, and they would not jepordize their contract with Bowlen over saying BS not verified!

Personally in my honest opinion Shanahan has done a lot for Denver, and maybe it is just time to move on. Sometimes it is needed to get better! Example is that Shanahan drafted Cutler, he fits more Heimerdinger's scheme then that of Shanahan's which Plummer really fit in, look at how we utilize the shotgun formation more and more now, that is because Heimerdinger...and I love it. But I respect Shanahan, even though he has made many bad mistakes with roster additions and other appointments to the staff, even so maybe he has just had enough...maybe Bowlen has. Either way, if he goes I will wish him luck and look forward to seeing what new changes come about, personally I think Heimerdinger will then be named HC and we will go and hire a GM, plus their will likely be several staff changes.

A lot of fans have asked why Shanahan may go to Atlanta? They run a similar system and scheme to his, one which has fallen behind here. He can go on and start fresh without the weight of 'why he has not won the big one without Elway' and thirdly, he could bring in Plummer to start as his temporary quarterback in a proven system which Plummer fits and does well in, whereas here the system needs fixed to fit a younger, better more pro-typical quarterback. In Atland he goes to a team which it's roster has some quality with some very high draft picks...so infact fixing what he has here, or there I see the Atlanta job as a pretty good job vacancy.

dogfish
12-29-2007, 04:00 PM
just because cutler can throw from the pocket doesn't mean he can't throw outside it. . . he has just about the highest QB rating in the league when he's outside the pocket-- he fits shanahan's system just fine. . . if shanahan does happen to leave, i absolutely GUARANTEE that it's NOT because he wants to have jake plummer back instead of cutler!

:rofl:

Lancane
12-29-2007, 04:33 PM
just because cutler can throw from the pocket doesn't mean he can't throw outside it. . . he has just about the highest QB rating in the league when he's outside the pocket-- he fits shanahan's system just fine. . . if shanahan does happen to leave, i absolutely GUARANTEE that it's NOT because he wants to have jake plummer back instead of cutler!

:rofl:

Did I ever say he prefered Plummer? Dogfish, you should know better man. I was simply stating he can automatically short fix Atlanta, whereas here the offense is evolving...Cutler can throw out of the pocket, he can move well too, but Plummer really fit Shanahan's system or atleast from what we see compared to Cutler. Heimerdinger is the Assistant Head Coach/Quarterbacks, he is coaching Cutler, his offensive system is more pass orientated then run and he is a fan of the shotgun formations, and the reason that Cutler is so good out of the pocket is because it is the only place he can throw from...not easy to be a high percentage pocket quarterback when your being chased because your line is mediocre either!

;)

SmilinAssasSin27
12-29-2007, 09:57 PM
I still don't see what some people have against the guy who made Jake respectable and had the team in the AFC Title game 2 years ago. It's like the haters forget all the injuries and the aging out process. Just cuz the league is cyclical doesn't mean Shanny can't coach anymore. We have had the "luxury" of having a solid to very good team since the 2 SB wins. Unfortunately, that makes it harder to draft high every year. Even Pittsburgh has had some awful seasons which alloed them to grab Big Ben, etc. We haven't had that. We had to swap pix and work some magic for a shot at Cutler. Now we finally will have a top 10 pick in each round...and maybe the same in 2009 draft as well. It sucks, sure. But maybe it will allow this team to completely turn over and grow together, rather than have a bunch of overpaid FAs some in for a few seasons prior to retirement or greener pastures.

Give dude a break. This roster today is a shell of what is was supposed to be when camp opened up. Keep that in mind while yer hating cuz you know nothing about real life. This ain't Madden 08.

Timmy!
12-30-2007, 03:23 PM
I still don't see what some people have against the guy who made Jake respectable and had the team in the AFC Title game 2 years ago. It's like the haters forget all the injuries and the aging out process. Just cuz the league is cyclical doesn't mean Shanny can't coach anymore. We have had the "luxury" of having a solid to very good team since the 2 SB wins. Unfortunately, that makes it harder to draft high every year. Even Pittsburgh has had some awful seasons which alloed them to grab Big Ben, etc. We haven't had that. We had to swap pix and work some magic for a shot at Cutler. Now we finally will have a top 10 pick in each round...and maybe the same in 2009 draft as well. It sucks, sure. But maybe it will allow this team to completely turn over and grow together, rather than have a bunch of overpaid FAs some in for a few seasons prior to retirement or greener pastures.

Give dude a break. This roster today is a shell of what is was supposed to be when camp opened up. Keep that in mind while yer hating cuz you know nothing about real life. This ain't Madden 08.

What he said.

Simple Jaded
12-30-2007, 03:38 PM
Cane, unless you're saying Plummer blames Heimerdinger for the move last year, Shanahan and Plummer WILL NEVER happen again, imo......

Broncospsycho77
12-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Has anyone ever heard of a transition year? We're having one right now, due to change of powers in leadership (goodby Al and Plummer, hello Lynch and Cutler) and an attempt to get younger. One or two bad years doesn't constitute "off with his head!". I'm not being a biased Shanahan-lover, I'm just saying that, logically, getting rid of a coach who consistently gets a team to the playoffs (which is harder to do for most franchises) has one or two off years, a few players retire, and a scheme change for a young team, really shouldn't be blamed solely. I cannot personally blame Shanahan for those things that happen. They are out of his power. **** happens. We just have to roll with it to get back to power in the upcoming seasons.

BOSSHOGG30
12-31-2007, 09:58 AM
Shanahan staying.

There had been an Internet report last week saying Atlanta was interested in Broncos coach Mike Shanahan.

"You just have to ask me and you'd find out none of it is true," Shanahan said. "It absolutely is not true. You don't have to worry about speculation."

claymore
12-31-2007, 02:13 PM
POSTED 8:30 a.m. EST; UPDATED 8:43 a.m. EST, December 31, 2007

SHANAHAN DENIES RUMORS OF JOB CHANGE

Our good friend Dino Costa, whose weekday radio show can be heard in 87 percent of Colorado, asked Broncos coach Mike Shanahan after Sunday's season-ending win about rumors linking Shanahan to other jobs.

Most recently, some Internet hack linked Shanahan to the vacancy in Atlanta. Previously, there was speculation that Shanahan could make the jump to Michigan.

Here's the Q&A, per Costa:

Costa: "Mike, with the end of the season now here, I suppose this is an appropriate time to ask you about your own future. There have been some reports, and some speculation concerning your future with the Broncos, and I'm hoping you can clarify some of this."

Shanahan: "What kind of speculation are you referring to?"

Costa: "Speculation that has your name possibly linked to either some high profile college jobs, or some position with another NFL team."

Shanahan: "All you have to do is ask me. . . . I'm the one to answer those kinds of questions . . . and I tell you now that there is no credibility with any of those reports. None."

Fine. Good. Costa supplies it, Shanahan denies it.

But then something strange happened. In the post-game quotes sent out by the Broncos' P.R. staff, there was no mention at all made of the exchange.

So how does that happen? Was Shanahan's denial deemed not to be worthy of inclusion? Or did Shanahan tell someone to leave it out, lest he eventually be perceived as failing the public-opinion polygraph if/when he leaps to a new organization?

We've also heard on the media grapevine that efforts have been made by some to sniff around the Broncos organization regarding the Falcons rumor, and that everyone is clamming up on this one.

Thus, while Shanahan might be prepared to dismiss this rumor as having no credibility, we're not ready to do so until the Falcons job is filled.

12-31-2007, 11:46 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHH this is bad news.

Tned
12-31-2007, 11:49 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHH this is bad news.

Not really. Not too many coaches (or teams) have had only two losing seasons in the last 14 or 15 years.

Watchthemiddle
12-31-2007, 11:50 PM
He is not going anywhere...especially Atlanta. He would never leave his QB prospect and go elsewhere.

BOSSHOGG30
01-01-2008, 12:22 AM
Shanahan is a class act guy.... no way he jumps ship now... plus he would miss playing the Raiders twice a year and I'm sure he wants to knock the Chargers back to reality.

omac
01-01-2008, 12:54 AM
POSTED 8:30 a.m. EST; UPDATED 8:43 a.m. EST, December 31, 2007

SHANAHAN DENIES RUMORS OF JOB CHANGE

Our good friend Dino Costa, whose weekday radio show can be heard in 87 percent of Colorado, asked Broncos coach Mike Shanahan after Sunday's season-ending win about rumors linking Shanahan to other jobs.

Most recently, some Internet hack linked Shanahan to the vacancy in Atlanta. Previously, there was speculation that Shanahan could make the jump to Michigan.

Here's the Q&A, per Costa:

Costa: "Mike, with the end of the season now here, I suppose this is an appropriate time to ask you about your own future. There have been some reports, and some speculation concerning your future with the Broncos, and I'm hoping you can clarify some of this."

Shanahan: "What kind of speculation are you referring to?"

Costa: "Speculation that has your name possibly linked to either some high profile college jobs, or some position with another NFL team."

Shanahan: "All you have to do is ask me. . . . I'm the one to answer those kinds of questions . . . and I tell you now that there is no credibility with any of those reports. None."

Fine. Good. Costa supplies it, Shanahan denies it.

But then something strange happened. In the post-game quotes sent out by the Broncos' P.R. staff, there was no mention at all made of the exchange.

So how does that happen? Was Shanahan's denial deemed not to be worthy of inclusion? Or did Shanahan tell someone to leave it out, lest he eventually be perceived as failing the public-opinion polygraph if/when he leaps to a new organization?

We've also heard on the media grapevine that efforts have been made by some to sniff around the Broncos organization regarding the Falcons rumor, and that everyone is clamming up on this one.

Thus, while Shanahan might be prepared to dismiss this rumor as having no credibility, we're not ready to do so until the Falcons job is filled.

That's from profootballtalk; look at their "journalism." First they say they hear rumours of Atlanta or a college looking to hire Shanny, then when Shanny denies it, they look for ways to extend the story ....

[B]Thus, while Shanahan might be prepared to dismiss this rumor as having no credibility, we're not ready to do so until the Falcons job is filled.

That's just pure sensationalism. They never have accountability if their stories don't check out. None.

Hey, I'll make one up right now ..... The Vikings are shopping around Tavaris Jackson. Then if they ask Childress, and he says no, they can say ... but that tidbit is suspiciously not posted on their press release. Then on the offchance that they get a hit, they can say, "you heard it here first.". :D

They don't need credible sources, nor do they list them for accountabiltiy. Some leads are good, and some are bad, but they print them anyway.