PDA

View Full Version : The future is bright for the Broncos

Retired_Member_001
12-27-2007, 04:30 PM
The future is bright for the Broncos

I was determined to write something positive before the Broncos took on the San Diego Chargers on Monday Night Football. I was hoping for a strong performance from the Denver running game so I could praise Selvin Young. Nothing positive came from the Monday Night game, but there are still things to be positive about if you're a Denver Broncos fan. The team has a very bright future, if we make the right moves in the off-season.

A major area that will get us to getting to the AFC Championship game or "The Big One" next off-season is having a strong draft. A rookie, or second year player, can certainly make a huge difference. For example, if we were to draft a top notch offensive tackle this off-season, Jake Long for example, by his second year he could be a premier offensive tackle. Here's another example, if we were to draft James Laurinaitis this off-season, he could make an immediate Patrick Willis type impact. Teams who build through the draft have longer life spans and usually fare better during those life spans, it is very important to build through the draft.

Another key will be bringing in the RIGHT Free Agents. For example, Sam Adams, Jimmy Kennedy and Simeon Rice were bad pickups. The Broncos and fans thought that these players would fix things, but they did not. The key will be not to pick up fodder, but to pick up productive and young players. If we were to bring in Karlos Dansby and Corey Williams for example, they would be extremely good signings. Two brilliant signings are better than several bad ones.

But the main factor for the Broncos will be the young players taking a step up. I am personally a big fan of having a young team and I am a big fan of giving young guys alot of opportunities. Young players usually play with more fire and spirit. Guys like Brandon Marshall, Jay Cutler, Selvin Young, Tony Scheffler, Chris Myers, Chris Kuper, Tim Crowder, Jarvis Moss, Elvis Dumervil, Marcus Thomas and D.J Williams need to lead the team more and more. If these guys can step up even further, they will surely lead the Broncos to victory providing the Broncos make the right off-season pickups.

Read that list of players again, and think, think how many top quality young players we have. Think of the talent those players have and think how fortunate we are to have them. We have so many good young players that could become NFL Superstars in a couple of years and that list is missing next off-seasons draftees. The fact is that while things are bad now, they wont be bad at all in a couple of seasons if we have another strong off-season.

Npba900
12-27-2007, 11:31 PM
I for one think the future is dim unless the correct tinkering is done in 2008. Although the 2007 was a disappointment, the 2005 and 2006 draft have been great IMHO, and Denver needs to continue with great draft decisions-selections again in 2008.

Having said that, the 2008 season will hinge upon what Denver can do to vastly and immediately update their offensive line! Hopefully, Shanahan has realized you win in the trenches (hence the horrible execution in the Red Zone), and will take the steps thru FA to sign Faneca (Steelers), Starks (Titans I believe) and Jordan Gross (Panthers). Thats right Mike....ya gotta open your wallet! and make sure should Faneca, Gross and Starks come to Denver for a LOOK AROUND, "THEY DON'T LEAVE DENVER" w/o signing a contract!!!

Should the Broncos manage to have Lepis, Gross, Starks, Nalen, Faneca, and Hamilton in the starting rotation in 2008.......the woes of the O Line should be solved. Throw in a bigger/heavier athletic lead blocking Fullback, and Denver will return to having one of the better O Lines in the NFL, and have one of higher percentages of Red Zone successes.

Facts are, Pears, Kuper, Meyers, Holland, and Harris are not ready to start and Denver should not gamble with the 2008 season and Cutler's health with the afore mentioned player, hoping these guys are the answer!

Denver has the right players at QB, WR, TE, and RB too really score more points IF the O line can be upgraded with impact-full veterans thru FA. If Lepis and Nalen can comeback from injuries along with Hamilton, Denver can put points on the board at the rate of 28-35 points per game.

If Denver's offense can score at this rate, the Broncos can win 6 more games in 2008! Winning 6 more games in 2008 will give 12 or 13 wins. That should soothe the Bronco fateful. Point is the Offense holds the keys to allow Bates to get his act together of building a top 5 Defensive unit in two years.

Shanahan's sanity, confidence, and perhaps his future in Denver hinges upon HOW well offense scores in the Red Zone.

Cutler's health and further development and ascendancy to a top 5 NFL QB....all hinges on a vastly upgraded and improved OFFENSIVE LINE IN 2008.

Denver's ability to protect leads in the 4th Qtr by converting short yardage to run out the clock....all hinges on a vastly upgraded and improved O-Line.

Once inside the Red Zone and inside the 5 yard line....Denver's ability to run the ball into the end zone....all hinges on a vastly upgraded and improved O-Line.

Cutler's opportunities to sit back in the pocket (like Manning and Brady).....all hinges on a vastly upgraded and improved O-Line.

Ya See....everything hinges on Mike Shanahan IMMEDIATELY upgrading the Offensive Line via Free Agency in 2008.

Tned
12-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Denver has the right players at QB, WR, TE, and RB too really score more points IF the O line can be upgraded with impact-full veterans thru FA. If Lepis and Nalen can comeback from injuries along with Hamilton, Denver can put points on the board at the rate of 28-35 points per game.

Welcome to BroncosForums.

I think you nailed it in this quote. The Broncos have enough talent at the offensive skill positions, that if they can get a good offensive line, they could put up a lot of points every week.

Npba900
12-27-2007, 11:45 PM
Welcome to BroncosForums.

I think you nailed it in this quote. The Broncos have enough talent at the offensive skill positions, that if they can get a good offensive line, they could put up a lot of points every week.

Thanks. I'll will pray until the end of FA that Shanahan is listening.

Tned
12-27-2007, 11:46 PM
Thanks. I'll will pray until the end of FA that Shanahan is listening.

Assuming that Shanny is even with the Broncos (see the thread about Atlanta contacting him to fill their head coaching vacancy).

Npba900
12-28-2007, 12:05 AM
Assuming that Shanny is even with the Broncos (see the thread about Atlanta contacting him to fill their head coaching vacancy).

I can't see Shanahan leaving Denver to go to the Falcons. I'm hoping that Cutler's future potential is the anchor that will hold Shanahan in Denver. I'm crossing my fingers....anyway.

BOSSHOGG30
12-28-2007, 11:55 AM
I don't see that bright of a future.

We don't have safeties
We don't have but one or two good defensive lineman
We only have one good linebacker
Champ and Bly are getting older so we don't have long to build a defense around them.
Our O-line is average
Our runningbacks are average and we are over paying for Henry.
We don't have a blocking fullback
Our receiving situation is shaky at best.
You have to worry about the coaches
The defensive scheme stinks
our special teams stinks
Jason elam is getting old
We don't even have a punter.
Ivesco field just isn't the same as the old Mile High

MileHighWrath
12-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Your cup is half empty and on the way down.

I have more faith in the organization. They have proven for the last couple of decades that they know what to do to compete. A couple of down years is inevitable but they will be back in the top 5 of the league, maybe next year, maybe the year after, but it WILL happen sooner than later.

That's just reaching for a reason to be unhappy, why do that to yourself?

My cup is half full and on the way up.

Retired_Member_001
12-28-2007, 12:28 PM
I don't see that bright of a future.

We don't have safeties
We don't have but one or two good defensive linemanWe only have one good linebacker
Champ and Bly are getting older so we don't have long to build a defense around them.
Our O-line is average
Our runningbacks are average and we are over paying for Henry.
We don't have a blocking fullback
Our receiving situation is shaky at best. You have to worry about the coaches
The defensive scheme stinks
our special teams stinks
Jason elam is getting old
We don't even have a punter.

I've colour coded my replies so things are easier to read.

We do have a bright future IF we make the needed changes. If our team stays EXACTLY the same over the off-season then our future looks horrible. Over two years though, if the right moves are made, our future is bright.

I have been one of the biggest haters of the offensive line, however I do believe the offensive line could be fixed in a season, or two. Draft Sam Baker, sign Jake Scott this season, then go after Jordan Gross or another top right tackle next off-season and our offensive line starts looking good.

As for defensive tackle, we should either go after Corey Williams (who is a UFA this off-season), or try to trade for Kris Jenkins.

As for the linebackers, we sign Karlos Dansby this off-season and draft a linebacker in the second round.

The safeties are a problem, we should draft a safety in the third round this off-season and then draft a safety in the 1st round NEXT off-seaosn.

Dre' is too old, I'll admit that.

Our receivers situation is not shaky at all, Marshall is one of the best young receivers in the league. Stokely is Stokely and Walker is a top 10 receiver when healthy. If Javon can keep himself healthy then our receivers will make the other team shaky. Don't forget Scheffler.

Fullbacks, kickers and punters can be found on the street.

I worry about the coaching. Dennison and O'Brien need to go, I'll admit that.

In one off-season we need to:

Sign Karlos Dansby.
Sign Corey Williams/Trade for Kris Jenkins.
Sign Jake Scott.
Draft Sam Baker/ Trade up for Jake Long
Draft Philip Wheeler
Trade Foxy for a third round pick.
Draft a safety (depending on who is available) in the third round.

That patches up Linebacker, Offensive line, defensive tackle and half fixes the safety position.

Then all we need to do the next off-season after that is draft another safety, draft another linebacker, draft another wide receiver and sign a cornerback.

Then we are done.

Broncolingus
12-28-2007, 02:12 PM
I am not optomistic about next year...seems like too many holes to fill in just one offseason (FA and draft)...

The issues alone on the lines are significant...Lepsis may not (but probably will) be back, and short of Nalen and perhaps Hamilton, I don't see a spot that doesn't need an upgrade...

The D-line is the a trainwreck and everyone knows it.

I'm not thrilled about our current crop of Safety's, and our CBs are not exactly spring-chickens. LBs I'm still unsure about only because the D-line has sucked so bad for so long.

Javon land Rod both look like they're done, and Denver needs a solid 3WR - speaking of, have we ever had that?

Does anyone really think we have a good FB now?

Beyond that, of course, we'll need some depth too to cope with the injuries that'll eventually crop up - maybe that's what some of our current players will be good for.

Oh yeah, does everyone think we're set on coaches?

That's the skinny if Denver wants to be competitive in with the good teams of the league and in the postseason...or, we can keep tinkering around like we've done for the past 5-8 years, and they'll keep rolling these 8-8 type seasons and possibly an occational Wild Card a$$-whoppin on the road like always.

Again, that seems like a tall order to fix in just one offseason.

Retired_Member_001
12-28-2007, 04:37 PM
I am not optomistic about next year...seems like too many holes to fill in just one offseason (FA and draft)...

The issues alone on the lines are significant...Lepsis may not (but probably will) be back, and short of Nalen and perhaps Hamilton, I don't see a spot that doesn't need an upgrade...

The D-line is the a trainwreck and everyone knows it.

I'm not thrilled about our current crop of Safety's, and our CBs are not exactly spring-chickens. LBs I'm still unsure about only because the D-line has sucked so bad for so long.

Javon land Rod both look like they're done, and Denver needs a solid 3WR - speaking of, have we ever had that?

Does anyone really think we have a good FB now?

Beyond that, of course, we'll need some depth too to cope with the injuries that'll eventually crop up - maybe that's what some of our current players will be good for.

Oh yeah, does everyone think we're set on coaches?

That's the skinny if Denver wants to be competitive in with the good teams of the league and in the postseason...or, we can keep tinkering around like we've done for the past 5-8 years, and they'll keep rolling these 8-8 type seasons and possibly an occational Wild Card a$$-whoppin on the road like always.

Again, that seems like a tall order to fix in just one offseason.

I keep saying this, it will take 2 seasons for us to be back to our Super Bowl contending self. I never said we would be back to greatness in one season, however in two seasons, if the correct changes are made, we could be in the Super Bowl.

That's what I've been saying.