PDA

View Full Version : Broncos fans scramble to buy throwback gear

Denver Native (Carol)
10-19-2009, 04:46 PM
http://www.9news.com/sports/article.aspx?storyid=125353&catid=295

DENVER - The Denver Broncos will wear throwback jerseys one final time this season as they take on the San Diego Chargers Monday night.

The throwback away colors are brown and white. The tribute to the team's history is turning out to be a big hit with Broncos fans.

Fans are buying throwback jerseys, hats and shoes. The hottest item though, is those striped throwback socks. The only place selling them is the Denver Broncos Team Store at INVESCO Field at Mile High. The store is now sold out of those mustard yellow and brown socks, after fans bought about a thousand pairs over the last week.

"They've just been all about the brown and mustard jerseys, hats, t-shirts, pretty much anything they can get their hands on, especially those socks," Wes Cardenas, the store's assistant buyer, said. "I don't even know if I can quantify that, the demand is so huge. We have the home and the away socks. The home is what they wore this game, that's the mustard and brown version. And then we also have the white and brown version, which they'll be rolling out here on Monday night."

Cardenas expects the brown and white striped socks to sell out too.

9NEWS talked to several Broncos fans who stopped by the store just to buy the throwback socks. They were disappointed to find only the away socks in stock, saying they prefer the mustard yellow and brown ones.

"I think they're cool looking, they're retro, they're just cool looking," Adam Brill said, He plans to return to the store for the next shipment of socks.

Brill says he plans to wear the striped socks out on the town when he does get them.

"I'll rock those socks out in the winter, I'll rock them anytime. I like them; I think they're cool looking. I can add them to my fashion repertoire that I have at home," he said.

Cardenas says Broncos fans from across the country are calling the team store wanting to buy the striped socks the Broncos wore last Sunday.

"Right after that game when they saw that AFL stuff, people from California to New York that were Broncos fans, they called and wanted that mustard and brown," said Cardenas.

He says some fans told him, the socks are so ugly they had to have them.

"You know it's kind of funny, a lot of people thought they were ugly, and now it's kind of getting to where they really like them and really enjoy them," he added.

The Denver Broncos Team Store expects to get another shipment of the yellow and brown striped socks the first week of November. Broncos fans will have to try to be the first to pick them up. Cardenas says there will be a limited number of socks, and it will likely be the last shipment the store will get.

He says whether fans like the throwback colors or not, you can't argue with a look that so far is working for the Broncos.

"Hey, whether it's navy and orange or mustard and brown, if we're 5 and 0, it's all good," he said.

All eight original AFL teams are wearing throwback jerseys when they play each other this season. It's to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the AFL.

The original teams are the Denver Broncos, Buffalo Bills, San Diego Chargers, Kansas City Chiefs (then known as the Dallas Texans), New York Jets, New England Patriots, Oakland Raiders and Tennessee Titans (then known as the Houston Oilers).

The Chargers will also be wearing throwbacks as they play the Broncos Monday night.

Fans probably noticed the officiating crew is also getting in on the vintage look. Some football fans don't like the orange and white uniforms. 9NEWS found less than flattering descriptions circulating on line. Examples include "tangerine Dream," "orange dreamsicle," and even "the zebra mascot for fruit stripe gum."

Like the teams, the officials are only wearing these uniforms to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the AFL, the designs are not permanent.

ikillz0mbies
10-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Anyone have a pair of those retro socks they want to sell to me?

girler
10-19-2009, 05:39 PM
I hope they make more. I want LOTS of those socks! :salute:

Denver Native (Carol)
10-19-2009, 05:40 PM
I hope they make more. I want LOTS of those socks! :salute:

The Denver Broncos Team Store expects to get another shipment of the yellow and brown striped socks the first week of November. Broncos fans will have to try to be the first to pick them up. Cardenas says there will be a limited number of socks, and it will likely be the last shipment the store will get.

gobroncsnv
10-19-2009, 06:30 PM
http://www.9news.com/sports/article.aspx?storyid=125353&catid=295

DENVER - The Denver Broncos will wear throwback jerseys one final time this season as they take on the San Diego Chargers Monday night.

The original teams are the Denver Broncos, Buffalo Bills, San Diego Chargers, Kansas City Chiefs (then known as the Dallas Texans), New York Jets, New England Patriots, Oakland Raiders and Tennessee Titans (then known as the Houston Oilers).

Last time in those uni's, hope that's the second best news tonight regarding the Broncos. (and IMO, that's pretty good news, HATE the brown and yellow stuff)...

And just a FWIW, the Jets were originally known as the Titans... , and originally, the Chargers were in LA (take some time and check out some of the coaches who were with that original staff, some AMAZING names). and of course, Boston Patriots...

sneakers
10-19-2009, 06:35 PM
Shit I want to wear them to work......they would look good with a suit right?

sneakers
10-19-2009, 06:41 PM

Dang it!

Carol, if you buy me some socks and ship them to me, I will pay you back and donate $40 to Broncosforums :deal:

gnomeflinger
10-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Dang it!

Carol, if you buy me some socks and ship them to me, I will pay you back and donate $40 to Broncosforums :deal:

You may be on to something here, sneaks. If someone were to grab a pair for me, I'd send in a donation to the forums. Anyone else on board?

jrelway
10-19-2009, 11:04 PM
got mine in the mail a couple days ago. lets wear em till we lose!

aberdien
10-19-2009, 11:08 PM
I really want one of those beanies that Brandon Marshall has been wearing. Please direct me to where I can buy one.

scott.475
10-20-2009, 12:28 AM
Please, PLEASE make those socks more available! Cripes, I would buy the socks, pants, jerseys and helmets if they were available! They are ugly, but cool.

sneakers
10-20-2009, 12:40 AM
You may be on to something here, sneaks. If someone were to grab a pair for me, I'd send in a donation to the forums. Anyone else on board?

No pressure, if you get them let me know and I can get you address to send money....otherwise no big deal.

BroncoAV06
10-20-2009, 02:46 AM
I ordered up myself an authentic Bailey yellow throwback! Stoked. On a side note for some reason I think the yellow stripped socks would be absolutly banging on a girl.

OrangeHoof
10-20-2009, 03:12 AM
As I said on another thread, I think the Broncos should wear the throwbacks the rest of the season. They are fitting for a team of blue-collar types with no media stars that play hard but gets no respect. The throwbacks make them look like a rough team that plays in mud.

Den21vsBal19
10-20-2009, 07:57 AM
I ordered up myself an authentic Bailey yellow throwback! Stoked. On a side note for some reason I think the yellow stripped socks would be absolutly banging on a girl.
Just the socks, right? ;)

CoachChaz
10-20-2009, 08:00 AM
I've sold 8 of the jerseys since last Monday...I've sold 6 other Bronco jerseys TOTAL prior to that.