PDA

View Full Version : Features/Content you would like to see added to BroncosForums.com

Tned
12-26-2007, 06:22 PM
Ok, here is a list of some possible features and content that could be added to BroncosForums.com. I didn't add the salute system, as that is being discussed in another thread. This poll/discussion is more related to non-forum content rather than changes we could make to the forum part of the site.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-26-2007, 11:00 PM
A more enhanced forum look and design. . . maybe like NFL Spot?

NightTrainLayne
12-26-2007, 11:19 PM
Could we update the color scheme a little. . .I don't know if the all-blue background can be changed, but I would appreciate it if a quoted post would have a different color to off-set it some from the post that is doing the quoting. This would really add to the readability imo.

NightTrainLayne
12-26-2007, 11:20 PM
Could we update the color scheme a little. . .I don't know if the all-blue background can be changed, but I would appreciate it if a quoted post would have a different color to off-set it some from the post that is doing the quoting. This would really add to the readability imo.

As an example, you can see how this all runs together somewhat. . .but if the quote had a lighter blue or gray or some other color background it would be much easier to set it apart.

Tned
12-26-2007, 11:30 PM
A more enhanced forum look and design. . . maybe like NFL Spot?

As an example, you can see how this all runs together somewhat. . .but if the quote had a lighter blue or gray or some other color background it would be much easier to set it apart.

This is about new features and content, I think we need to start a seperate discussion if you guys want to talk about theme changes.

The blue we have here was wanted by the people that originally came over from Mania, since it is what they were used to. I think the salute threads show how clearly people get ingrained in what 'they are used to'.

So, the theme can fairly easily be changed, but we need to have a discussion on changing themes as this color scheme was pretty important for those coming over from mania.

NightTrainLayne
12-27-2007, 12:09 AM
This is about new features and content, I think we need to start a seperate discussion if you guys want to talk about theme changes.

The blue we have here was wanted by the people that originally came over from Mania, since it is what they were used to. I think the salute threads show how clearly people get ingrained in what 'they are used to'.

So, the theme can fairly easily be changed, but we need to have a discussion on changing themes as this color scheme was pretty important for those coming over from mania.

Yeah, I figured the blue background was off-limits, but I think it would be a much more readable board if the quotes were off-set by a slightly different, but complementary color. Maybe ask cswil, he is a whiz at colors and interior decorating and such.

broncosfanscott
12-27-2007, 01:02 AM
I voted for a forum photo gallary therefore members could post pictures they want to share. Other than that I really like it the way it is. Oh, and leave the blue background alone, I like it the way it is and have no problem distinguishing between a post and the post that was quoted.

Watchthemiddle
12-27-2007, 01:19 AM
It all seems good to me

If it ain't broke, the why fix it?

Don't go changing stuff just because we have a bunch of freaks on here now.

If you do decide to change things, I think it should be gradual. DO one thing at a time and spread all the changes out over time. Changing too much all at once will take away from our hometown feel....the feel we all desired when this message board was started.

:2cents:

Tned
12-27-2007, 01:29 AM
It all seems good to me

If it ain't broke, the why fix it?

Don't go changing stuff just because we have a bunch of freaks on here now.

If you do decide to change things, I think it should be gradual. DO one thing at a time and spread all the changes out over time. Changing too much all at once will take away from our hometown feel....the feel we all desired when this message board was started.

:2cents:

None of this has to do with Freaks.

We have been talking about the posiblity of adding blogs for a couple months, as vBulletin has an add-on for that.

I already have a news agregation site (broncos07.com) which drives my sig, and that was the motivation for asking if we wanted to add news headlines to the home page (which we currently don't have, by the way).

As to the other features, a lot of sites use something called vBadvanced, which is a free or cheap (depending on the version) add-on to vB which provides additional features of summarizing what is happening on a vBulletin message board. A couple examples of the vBadvanced features are:

http://www.dbstalk.com/

http://www.avsforum.com/

http://www.vbadvanced.com/dynamics/

Ignore the adds, as that can be added to regular vBulletin or a vBadvanced homepage, the important things to look at are the other features, such as newest posts, site news, etc.

So, as I say, ALL of the things being discussed are things that have either been discussed by the advisory board as possible add-ons to the forum, or that I have considered for use to create a 'homepage', which I tend to think we should have. Hence the reason for seeking feedback from all users.

One thing that is VERY important to understand is that all of these things sit outside of the main messageboard, they would be on a homepage, which people could go to, or bypass and go straight to the messageboard.

BroncoBJ
12-28-2007, 09:54 PM
This site is good stuff. :salute:

I dont know what all to add though.
But I liked that idea of a photo gallery.
If its possible.
But with Tned anythings possible. :salute:

Bronco9798
12-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Nobody from the Freak wants things to suit us solely. We appreciate everything the Admin and Mods have done for us. We have been overwhelmed by the generosity. We really have.

frauschieze
12-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Nobody from the Freak wants things to suit us solely. We appreciate everything the Admin and Mods have done for us. We have been overwhelmed by the generosity. We really have.

Suck up.

But he's absolutely right. Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!

Bronco9798
12-28-2007, 10:02 PM
Suck up.

But he's absolutely right. Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!

Ha!!! :D........

claymore
01-05-2008, 01:12 PM
I like 90% of what is going on here. A few tweaks that I would like.........

1. High five system, rep points do not matter to me, but to some they might.
2. Maybe decrease the borders so there is not so much wasted space on the edges. May sound minor, but there is almost an inch of wasted space around the edges of the forum, and believe it or not makes a huge difference in the readability of the pages.
3. I think allot of forums could be threads, and maybe even stickies. I know I am new here, but the forums have similar threads, and I really get lost unless I use the "New Post" feature. For people new to forums, it has to be pretty confusing. There are 26 forums, and I would say 1/4 to 1/2 could be threads, or stickied within a forum.

A couple things I like here, and hope never change.
1. New posts, you do not have to wait a certain amount of time between refreshes.
2. Ownership, Moderating, and the Justice league council strive to be the best forum out there. And as new as this board is, they are really doing a bang up job.

Also, on major changes, can we vote as a Forum? I mean leave the poll up for 30 days, and members can argue one way or the other?

Tned
01-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Also, on major changes, can we vote as a Forum? I mean leave the poll up for 30 days, and members can argue one way or the other?

At least at this time, I don't see ever voting as a forum. The main reason for this is that people don't think before they vote, in post cases. It is very common to see people post some variation of, "I hadn't thought of it that way, ok, I change my vote" which you can't do in a poll.

Further, following a simple majority, is not always wise. Take allowing nudity in pics. We could put a poll up and get 50 or 60% that vote, yes allow nudity, but while the 60% that voted for it clearly would like it, chances are they aren't going to get 'extremely' upset if nudity isn't allowed, but there is a VERY good chance that a good portion of the 40% that voted against it would get extremely upset, and possibly leave the message board, if nudity in pics was allowed.

Ok, that might have been a bit of a convoluted answer, but hopefully understand what I am saying. Even if we set aside people voting before they have read discussion and considered all angles (which I think is a problem), we still have the problem that in many cases the negative impact of something being voted in by a poll based on majority vote, would/could be very detrimental to the forum as a whole.

So, instead, what we ask is that people discuss the items, post the pros and cons, and after a reasonable amount of discussion, the advisory board will make a determination as to what is best for the board, based on the discussion and input received.

artie_dale
01-05-2008, 01:34 PM
So far, so good I guess. I'm still getting used to it is all. I understand where NTL is coming from. I remember the first time I was here, it took me a little while to find out what exactly was a post and what was apart of someone's sig. I eventually got it. It would make it easier to add a shade for readers to find posts quicker (but this is just a rookie to this site speaking). I love Orange and Blue just like the next guy. No matter what, you either get used to it or you don't, it's still all good. So far this is the next best thing and I'm quite please with everything. Especially the strive for improvement from the users. Clay brought up some good points as well... I do like giving props where they are do so the more I get to do that, well, the more fun a place can be.

claymore
01-05-2008, 01:40 PM
At least at this time, I don't see ever voting as a forum. The main reason for this is that people don't think before they vote, in post cases. It is very common to see people post some variation of, "I hadn't thought of it that way, ok, I change my vote" which you can't do in a poll.

Further, following a simple majority, is not always wise. Take allowing nudity in pics. We could put a poll up and get 50 or 60% that vote, yes allow nudity, but while the 60% that voted for it clearly would like it, chances are they aren't going to get 'extremely' upset if nudity isn't allowed, but there is a VERY good chance that a good portion of the 40% that voted against it would get extremely upset, and possibly leave the message board, if nudity in pics was allowed.

Ok, that might have been a bit of a convoluted answer, but hopefully understand what I am saying. Even if we set aside people voting before they have read discussion and considered all angles (which I think is a problem), we still have the problem that in many cases the negative impact of something being voted in by a poll based on majority vote, would/could be very detrimental to the forum as a whole.

So, instead, what we ask is that people discuss the items, post the pros and cons, and after a reasonable amount of discussion, the advisory board will make a determination as to what is best for the board, based on the discussion and input received.
Good answer, I agree that people do not think before they vote, myself included. :D

TXBRONC
01-05-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm pretty flexable about these things but a blog sounds kind of cool and so does polls on the home page.

Oh and a white background might be nice as well. :laugh: Just kididing I love our blue background.

Rick
01-05-2008, 03:49 PM
vbadvanced is an awsome cms system. Gives great flexability and ease of use to the home page design.

Strongly recommend it, in fact I have since day one :)

MOtorboat
01-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Hey tned, I think this needs to be implemented:

"Lord and Supreme Ruler MissouriBronc."

That would be neat. And I think it might help with the ladies.

TIA (Thanks in advance)...

In all seriousness, I think the headlines and the photo gallery would be cool...

Tned
01-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Hey tned, I think this needs to be implemented:

"Lord and Supreme Ruler MissouriBronc."

That would be neat. And I think it might help with the ladies.

TIA (Thanks in advance)...

In all seriousness, I think the headlines and the photo gallery would be cool...

MissouriBronc The Show Me King...