PDA

View Full Version : Rick Reilly's Go Fish

Denver Native (Carol)
10-17-2009, 09:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/reillygofish

Hey Rick, Looks like the Titans will be 0-7 since disrespecting the Terrible Towel. Never under estimate the power of the towel. --Mike (Pittsburgh)

That's nothing. The Denver Broncos are 5-0 since I disrespected them. They're 5-0 since I said Josh McDaniels made one of the worst trades in NFL history. They're 5-0 since I called McDaniels "Boy Blunder."

I still think the trade was lousy. Chicago -- with the Broncos' ex-QB, Jay Cutler -- is seventh in scoring. The Broncos are 22nd. But Kyle Orton has been far better than I thought he'd be. He's been smart, calm and judicious with the football (7 TDs, 1 INT).

What I didn't know is that McDaniels and new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan had put together a nasty, miserly, veteran-led defense that is absolutely hell to run against and nearly as hard to pass against. Denver is not just No. 1 in the NFL in fewest points given up, they are No. 1 by nearly six points per game! Do you realize they're on pace to become just the fifth NFL team in history to give up less than 10 points per game?

I was wrong. The kid can coach. He's been nothing short of a 5-8 coaching Godzilla. The Broncos have won three of their five by coming from behind in the second half. That's just pure coaching.

As penance, I will wear those horrible striped socks the rest of the season.

OK, that was a joke.

Really.

TXBRONC
10-17-2009, 09:44 PM
I sure hope that points can start matching the offensive production. They're getting the output now its time to start finishing more drives with touchdowns.

NightTrainLayne
10-17-2009, 09:44 PM
Damn it! He just jinxed us.

TXBRONC
10-17-2009, 09:48 PM
Damn it! He just jinxed us.

Nah, all Denver needs to do is keep playing like they have the wins will come. I'm pretty sure McDaniels said something like in his post talk with team last week. Of course if the offense can start cranking up the points that would be alright with me.

Canmore
10-17-2009, 10:02 PM
The offense looks better week by week. Kyle not having to wear that glove last week was huge. This team is still coming together. I expect a good game out of the Broncos on Monday night.

camdisco24
10-17-2009, 11:38 PM
I expect this team to get better and better. If our offense can get things rolling a little quicker, and smoothly; just think how good we can be. Our D has it together, but there's always room for improment. We have a great coach that I not stand behind 100%. He knows what he's doing, and I cant wait to see what he has up his sleeve for the rest of the season. I dont expect us to go undefeated, but I am confident we will be in every game going into the 4th quarter. This is not a team that will get blown out.

Let just hope our first loss doesnt come this week. ;)

Superchop 7
10-18-2009, 12:26 AM
Don't forget Ed Donatell, our secondary coach through both Superbowls that has "also" been a defensive co-ordinator in the NFL.

Ziggy
10-18-2009, 02:03 AM
The offense is looking more and more in synch every week. Orton is finally healthy, Brandon Marshall has a new attitude, and everyone on that side of the ball is starting to get comfortable with the system. I expect the running game to improve with Buckhalter coming back, the offensive line to cut down on the penalties, and the scoring to go up. This team has yet to have a great game on offense. When they do, it could get very ugly for opposing teams.

EastCoastBronco
10-18-2009, 08:14 AM
I don't think we're ever going to see this offence put up huge amounts of points. This is a ball control, eat the clock type of offence in my opinion. It compliments our nasty, "miserly" D. That is what they are building. Just look at the the Pats (the couple of years before Brady had the crazy 50 TD year) and you will notice that they were in a lot of close games. How do you think Vinateri became so "clutch"? The Pats type of gameplay demanded a clutch kicker.
Notice any similarities? McLovin and crew are slowly but surely building the new Patriots at the foot of the Rockies. They are building a team that will beat you by any means necessary. By 20. By 1. By 3. It soesn't matter. All that matters is the W.

TXBRONC
10-18-2009, 08:38 AM
I don't think we're ever going to see this offence put up huge amounts of points. This is a ball control, eat the clock type of offence in my opinion. It compliments our nasty, "miserly" D. That is what they are building. Just look at the the Pats (the couple of years before Brady had the crazy 50 TD year) and you will notice that they were in a lot of close games. How do you think Vinateri became so "clutch"? The Pats type of gameplay demanded a clutch kicker.
Notice any similarities? McLovin and crew are slowly but surely building the new Patriots at the foot of the Rockies. They are building a team that will beat you by any means necessary. By 20. By 1. By 3. It soesn't matter. All that matters is the W.

I went back and looked what the Patriots did in the years prior to 2007 and they were consistently putting 25 to 30 points a game on their opponents.

There have been several instances where Denver has left points on the field because of misfires. I think that easily that if Denver was hitting on cylinders they could easily be putting about 25 points per game.

EastCoastBronco
10-18-2009, 10:09 AM
Not going to argue on that. I just think that most of our games are going to be fairly close. In my opinion, 95 yard drives that take 10 minutes off the clock are miles better than scoring in 2-5 plays like the Colts. Ask the Colts defence what kind of drives they like.

Day1BroncoFan
10-18-2009, 11:39 AM
As long as we score more than the other team scores I'm good with either way. :D

TXBRONC
10-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Not going to argue on that. I just think that most of our games are going to be fairly close. In my opinion, 95 yard drives that take 10 minutes off the clock are miles better than scoring in 2-5 plays like the Colts. Ask the Colts defence what kind of drives they like.

Oh the flip side to the points that New England was putting up in the years prior to '07 was that they had a lot of close games.

LRtagger
10-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Don't forget Ed Donatell, our secondary coach through both Superbowls that has "also" been a defensive co-ordinator in the NFL.

I actually wanted to bring in Ed as our DC...I'm very happy he is on staff. If Nolan ends up going elsewhere to be a HC, Ed would be a great replacement.

TXBRONC
10-18-2009, 04:36 PM
I actually wanted to bring in Ed as our DC...I'm very happy he is on staff. If Nolan ends up going elsewhere to be a HC, Ed would be a great replacement.

I knew Ed had been a defensive co-ordinator previously but just how effective was he because I don't remember?

slim
10-18-2009, 05:07 PM
I went back and looked what the Patriots did in the years prior to 2007 and they were consistently putting 25 to 30 points a game on their opponents.

There have been several instances where Denver has left points on the field because of misfires. I think that easily that if Denver was hitting on cylinders they could easily be putting about 25 points per game.

This is the same problem they have had for years...move the ball between the 20's and stall in the red zone.

It is a personnel issue more than anything (the OL doesn't have the size or strength to win in a short yardage situation).

LRtagger
10-18-2009, 05:49 PM
I knew Ed had been a defensive co-ordinator previously but just how effective was he because I don't remember?

He helped turn around Atlanta's Defense and Green Bay's defense. Green Bay went to shit after he left and Slowick took over. He was with Atlanta I believe when Vick was there and they were a pretty good team. If I remember right he had both defenses in the top 10 during his time there.

TXBRONC
10-18-2009, 08:14 PM
This is the same problem they have had for years...move the ball between the 20's and stall in the red zone.

It is a personnel issue more than anything (the OL doesn't have the size or strength to win in a short yardage situation).

I hope you're wrong about it being a personnel issue, I would like it's been more about mental breakdowns.