PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' defensive linemen quietly setting table for LBs, DBs

Denver Native (Carol)
10-17-2009, 07:42 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13572633

The Broncos' defensive linemen aren't invisible to their teammates.

Somehow, the least noticeable of the defensive players are the biggest and beefiest.

Credit for the Broncos' vastly improved defense that is allowing a league-low 8.6 points per game begins with the 3-4 scheme, then trickles to safety Brian Dawkins, outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil, cornerback Champ Bailey, inside linebacker D.J. Williams and coordinator Mike Nolan.

Strong safety Renaldo Hill had his sack and strip of Tony Romo. Inside linebacker Andra Davis has received some love.

But the front three of Ryan McBean, Ronnie Fields and Kenny Peterson has received little attention.

"That's one thing about the 3-4 — you can't play it if you're not a team-sport guy," McBean said. "Our job is to build a wall. No matter what it looks like, how you do it, we build a wall so the guys behind you can float. And I'm comfortable with that."

It has been said since way before the days of Gino Marchetti that a good defense starts up front. Through five games, the Broncos rank sixth against the run, yet their front three was largely an anonymous group until end Vonnie Holliday broke through to sack Tom Brady last week.

In the 3-4, the front line's primary job essentially is to handle the bruising, dirty work so players such as Dumervil, Dawkins, Davis and Williams can make plays.

"We get to run around and make plays because of the guys we love, the guys we can't do without," Davis said.

"It can be like that," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "I think a big part of being in this defense is being unselfish. It's not about everybody out there trying to make a play on their own."

Besides the starting three, the Broncos also rotate in Holliday, Le Kevin Smith and Marcus Thomas.

"At the end, they still have to look at the defense overall," Fields said. "I'll get my moment. As long as we're winning and my guys behind me are making plays, I'm good. It means I'm doing my part."

Requiem / The Dagda
10-17-2009, 07:44 PM
I'm quite amazed to see how well the lineman have done on the defensive front. If these guys are able to produce, just imagine what a quality prospect could do.

Hardwired
10-17-2009, 07:49 PM
Sometimes chemistry is more important than talent. Having both is best, of course, but chemistry can do amazing things.

TXBRONC
10-17-2009, 07:58 PM
I thought from the beginning that Peterson would be a good fit for a 3-4 defensive end. I figured that Le Kevin Smith would be serviceable because he but I wasn't sure how everyone else would do. While there aren't a lot things that surprise me in football but Ron Fields sure has. Keep up the good work guys!

Dman444
10-17-2009, 08:06 PM
I can't believe how well McBean and Fields have done so far. They all deserve some major credit, our LBs would be getting blown up if they weren't taking up blockers.

TXBRONC
10-17-2009, 08:09 PM
I can't believe how well McBean and Fields have done so far. They all deserve some major credit, our LBs would be getting blown up if they weren't taking up blockers.

Yep, this is one the reasons that the Chargers are having problems on the defensive side of the ball.