PDA

View Full Version : Packers linebacker Barnett avoids league penalty

Stand Ablaze
12-26-2007, 01:57 PM
http://www.rrstar.com/homepage/x2133871974

By Tom Silverstein
MILWAUKEE JOURNAL SENTINEL
GREEN BAY, Wis. -

The National Football League does not plan on taking any action against Green Bay Packers linebacker Nick Barnett for putting his hands on an official near the end of Sunday’s 35-7 loss to the Chicago Bears.

In an attempt to break up a skirmish, umpire Jim Quirk grabbed a kneeling Barnett around the neck from behind with both arms and dragged him backward onto the ground.

Replays showed that as Barnett tried to get up, Quirk maintained his hold, leading Barnett to use his hands to push himself away.

According to NFL spokesman Greg Aiello, Barnett is not being reviewed for discipline.

He indicated that Quirk was simply pulling Barnett away from a skirmish to prevent it from escalating.

The pushing and shoving began after Barnett got tangled up with Bears tackle Jon Tait during a running play with less than 4 minutes left in the game.

The two were on the ground trying to push one another’s arms off themselves when Quirk came from behind and wrestled Barnett away from the pile.

Coach Mike McCarthy said he couldn’t believe his eyes.

“I’ll tell you what, I’ve never seen anything like that in all my years,” McCarthy said. “I didn’t see the whole thing but I thought the official was totally out of line the way he grabbed Nick around the neck and pulled him out of there.

“There was a lot going on throughout the game on both sides of the ball after the play was over. Their offensive line was getting after Nick a bunch down the stretch. And that goes on in these types of games. I didn’t see all of it but I saw the end of it. I thought it was totally unprofessional. I thought it was totally out of hand.”

Aiello said director of officials Mike Pereira had no comment regarding McCarthy’s remarks. The two might speak later this week.

Pereira critiques his officials in a show on the NFL Network in which he reviews various plays from that weekend’s games. It’s possible Pereira will address Quirk’s actions and reveal whether any discipline was warranted.

Video incase any of you missed it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=cA4T5iRERo0