PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Marshall Buying In With Huge Results

Denver Native (Carol)
10-15-2009, 07:10 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/brandon.marshall.broncos.2.1251400.html

ARNIE STAPLETON - AP Sports Writer
DENVER (AP) ―

Josh McDaniels' tough love apparently has done the trick. Denver Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall, whose temper tantrum at training camp drew a nine-day suspension, is back to being his Pro Bowl self.

In the last two weeks, Marshall, showing his head is clear and his hip is healed, has caught two big touchdown passes to help the unbeaten Broncos defeat Dallas and New England, respectively.

After his 51-yard TD against the Cowboys, in which Marshall avoided a half-dozen tacklers while zigzagging to the end zone, he broke down in tears and hugged McDaniels on the sideline and then again at the post-game podium.

"I don't know when it clicked, but I'm happy it's clicking and I think he is, too," McDaniels said Thursday. "And our team's all the better for it."

On Sunday, Marshall made another outstanding play when he faked a fade into the end zone, spun at the 5-yard line and caught a pass from quarterback Kyle Orton, then twisted away from a Patriots defender and dived into the end zone with the tying touchdown in Denver's 20-17 overtime win.

Marshall wasn't much in the mood to talk about his own resurgence this week, only the Broncos'.

Asked if he finally felt like the receiver who had 100-plus receptions the last two seasons, Marshall suggested it was simply a matter of his number being called.

"Every year, you all can ask that question, if I put up good numbers last year or the year before that," he said. "It's just a matter of time before you get your opportunities, if you come out and you're not making plays, it's just not because you're not as good. It's just you've got to play your role."

Told that it appeared his surgically repaired hip was no longer a concern, Marshall retorted: "My hip? My hip? I had a 51-yard touchdown where I cut on my hip, stopped a couple of times, jumped up. I think that shouldn't even be a question anymore."

After scoring just twice in the final seven games last year, Marshall underwent hip surgery in the offseason and was told it was in worse shape than the team's medical staff had led him to believe last season.

That was the beginning of his discontent in Denver.

He skipped out on the offseason workouts in protest of his medical treatment by the Broncos and also because the team rejected the trade request he made after they refused to renegotiate his contract.

Marshall is making about $2.2 million this season, a bargain for an elite receiver if he can prove his hip is no longer an issue and his numerous domestic disputes also are a thing of the past.

Marshall was the biggest pain in McDaniels' side after Jay Cutler forced a trade to Chicago in April.

He spent almost all of training camp either in the trainer's room or acting defiantly on the field after declaring the only reason he wasn't AWOL was to avoid the daily fines.

McDaniels refused to rework his contract or give him a ticket out of town, and now Marshall's a major reason Denver is 5-0 for the first time since 1998.

So, when did everything click with Marshall?

"I don't know," McDaniels said. "Without going back into the past, Brandon and I have never really had much of an issue with one another. We understand there's a business side to it."

In an interview with Michael Irvin for the NFL Network, Marshall indicated his epiphany came at halftime against Cleveland in Week 2.

Marshall stood like a statue on the sideline that afternoon while the Broncos offense ran 27 consecutive plays without him.

When his teammates filed out of the locker room at Invesco Field for the second-half kickoff, Marshall sat there and cried.

"I stayed and I sat in my locker, put my head down with a towel over my head. I thought I was the only one in there and I broke down," Marshall told the network. "I heard a voice and it was Brian Dawkins. He tapped me four times on my back. He said, 'Come on baby.'

"And once I heard that, it's like my teammates are with me. ... I'm going to get through this. And I think everything is on track, we're on track. It's exciting to be a Bronco."

Marshall told Irvin he knew he was "going down the wrong road" during his defiant offseason behavior and ultimately heeded the advice of his agent, Kennard McGuire, to "shut your mouth, go out there and practice."

He said his regretted the day at camp when he punted the ball in frustration instead of handing it to a ball boy and batted down passes that were thrown his way.

Now, Marshall's back to being a playmaker on game days, a 6-foot-4, 230-pound mountain of muscle and speed who is a nightmare for defensive backs.

After admitting in August that he hadn't bothered learning the playbook, he leads the Broncos with 24 catches for 283 yards.

Although there's no indication the Broncos are going to rework his contract anytime soon, Marshall apparently has come to realize the best path to a big payday is through his play and not petulance.

He said he's excited to work with at-risk youth again on his days off.

"I'm excited. I've never been more confident in my life and myself as far as the track I'm on, and I can honestly say that," Marshall said. "When you're doing the right thing off the field, it helps on the field, and vice versa. Just like coach always preaches complementary football, life is complementary too."

Day1BroncoFan
10-15-2009, 07:17 PM
Hooray!!! :balloons:

Denver Native (Carol)
10-15-2009, 07:23 PM
I am so glad for Brandon, but to tell you the truth, I felt bad for him when he said that he had cried in the locker room. Hopefully, he has turned his life around. I could not believe it when a while back I read an article that said one night his dad and him were outside (not sure where they had been), and his dad tried to run him over with his car - shouting that he was going to ruin Brandon's football career. That is when I got a real soft heart for Brandon.

TXBRONC
10-15-2009, 07:51 PM
I am so glad for Brandon, but to tell you the truth, I felt bad for him when he said that he had cried in the locker room. Hopefully, he has turned his life around. I could not believe it when a while back I read an article that said one night his dad and him were outside (not sure where they had been), and his dad tried to run him over with his car - shouting that he was going to ruin Brandon's football career. That is when I got a real soft heart for Brandon.

That's not surprising you're just a softy. :salute:

Timmy!
10-15-2009, 07:54 PM
When Brandon knocked down that tipped ball at the line that hung in the air for a good 3 or 4 seconds, I knew he was on board. The touchdowns are great, but that play told me everything I need to know. All is forgiven in my book.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-15-2009, 08:17 PM
Here is Brandon's interview with Michael Irvin - GREAT interview

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-player-interviews/09000d5d8134b40f/Sunday-Sit-Down-Brandon-Marshall

Shazam!
10-15-2009, 09:38 PM
The best thing about the 5-0 Broncos is they can be even better. Scary for Denver's opponents.

T.K.O.
10-15-2009, 10:02 PM
a slap on the back from a guy like dawkins..........well chalk up another reason why signing weapon X was the best move we made all year !
brandon is growing up before our eyes this season and i LOVE IT!:salute:

honz
10-15-2009, 10:34 PM
There's no crying in football!

WARHORSE
10-16-2009, 01:12 AM
There's no crying in football!

Sniff!

B-B-B-Brrr........B-B-B-Brrraaa.........B-B-B-Brandons back!!:bawling:

B-B-B-Brandons back everybody!!

Ok. We're all happy again.
:driver:

frenchfan
10-16-2009, 01:21 AM
May be he needed to pass through that bad times...
IMO he had to realize things... he had to realize his situation, how bad it could turn... But also to realize that he had all the power to change things...

After all, his teammates were with him...
I don't think his coaches doubting his qualities either but wanting him to act like a man...

I'm glad BM is growing up now... This guy is a great talent and can be a huge weapon in McD's system (ala Moss).

I've personnaly experienced this kind of situation so it means a lot to me...

Just my 2 cents of psychologie though :D

Go Broncos :defense:

BCJ
10-16-2009, 01:22 AM

I didnt feel sorry for him because I was pissed that he was screwing up. Sometimes you have to hit bottom and also realize it, to come up and aiming for the highest peak there is. I think he knows that if he makes the plays and doesnt become (again) a flava clown, then he will be received warmly and he will get his pay increase. Maybe throw in a Super Bowl MVP trophy with it for good measure.

EastCoastBronco
10-16-2009, 07:00 AM
Like I said...Winning makes EVERYTHING alright... Shit gets forgotten in a hurry...;-)
I ripped him many times earlier in the year and have not forgotten amidst all of the current sunshine and lollipops what a freaking tool he was. Over and over and over. Not sure how he would be acting if we were 1-4 but he definitely appears to have turned the corner...and I'm glad. He seemed a lot more mature in that interview with Irvin. A lot more mature. Time will tell if he has really grown up but spending time among guys like Brian Dawkins, Rod Smith and Eddie Royal cannot be anything but good for him.
I hope that the Brandon Marshall we are witnessing now is the REAL Brandon Marshall because I really enjoy watching him literally destroy corners and safeties every Sunday. He a goddam beast and for the time being, I'm glad he's OUR beast.
Go get em Brandon....

NightTrainLayne
10-16-2009, 09:15 AM
Brandon has dissappointed several times in his behavior, but he does seem to know that he was in the wrong, and know what he needs to do.

That's a big part of growing up. Realizing you're on the wrong path and correcting it. Then just avoiding getting on the wrong path to start with. I hope he's starting to get this figured out.

OldschoolFreak
10-16-2009, 11:33 AM
What a great article. The Dawkins "Come on baby" will be a watershed event in his career.

Foochacho
10-16-2009, 12:29 PM
What a queer.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-16-2009, 12:35 PM
What a queer.

????????????????????????? :tsk:

OldschoolFreak
10-16-2009, 12:47 PM

Don't feed the troll...

Lonestar
10-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Hitting rock bottom was the key. Like an alcholic you have to realize you have no where else to go but UP.

That said I still do not yet trust him, I want to see him make it through more than a BYE week before thinking he can go through an offseason with out stepping on his crank.

The kid has talent up the kazoo just has not matured yet.

Let's pray that all of his anger and games playing is done, that he never again falls off the wagon. Like Rod before him getting tangled up with wife beating it took that for him to become "reformed".

Maybe the dawkins pat on the back will be Marshalls.

Day1BroncoFan
10-16-2009, 01:34 PM
For Marshall to do that and then own up to it publically is a good sign. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-16-2009, 01:45 PM
For Marshall to do that and then own up to it publically is a good sign. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

It is also a sign of him growing up

Kaylore
10-16-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm coming around on Marshall. I need to see him do this the rest of the season, and one offseason of him not going to Atlanta at all and I'll be open to resigning him.

BroncosRockdaRockies
10-16-2009, 04:09 PM
I will wait until next Off Season to make my assessment of Marshall. 3 years and 3 off seasons of problems, so while I have no bone to pick about his play it is all about his offfield issues IMO.

Foochacho
10-16-2009, 07:20 PM

Crying into a towel---------->Preeeettyyy gay

I bet he cries while he beats his girlfriend. :Cry: sorry for hitting you baby. Why do you make me do this?:Cry:

I want Marshall on the team i could care less what type of person he is as long as he produces that is all I care about. Just pointing out how gay it is to cry into a towel because you got benched for being a dumbass. Next time learn the playbook and don't skip practices.

honz
10-16-2009, 07:31 PM
Crying into a towel---------->Preeeettyyy gay

I bet he cries while he beats his girlfriend. :Cry: sorry for hitting you baby. Why do you make me do this?:Cry:

I want Marshall on the team i could care less what type of person he is as long as he produces that is all I care about. Just pointing out how gay it is to cry into a towel because you got benched for being a dumbass. Next time learn the playbook and don't skip practices.

Post flagged for bigotry and insensitivity.

Foochacho
10-16-2009, 07:53 PM
Well if you hated my last post I guess you would really hate what I would like to say about this one.

If the internet is too offensive to you maybe you should wait until after your testicles drop before posting on it.