PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still think DJ doesnt belong in the middle?

DenBronx
12-25-2007, 01:39 PM
The dude is second in the NFL with 133 tackles and 100 solo. He has played on a really bad defense and still has managed to do this. I have seen a couple of posters that said the only reason DJ is getting tackles is because of our bad DT's so the runner escapes through the line and basically DJ get's a freebee. Let's face it, 133 tackles is easier said than done and from what I've seen he has made most of his tackles closer towards the sidelines and near the line of scrimmage. DJ looks fantastic in the middle and I'd hate to see him transition anywhere again.

So if DJ is set at MLB do we make a move for a new OLB? If so should we target a WLB or SLB?

SR
12-25-2007, 01:44 PM
The dude is second in the NFL with 133 tackles and 100 solo. He has played on a really bad defense and still has managed to do this. I have seen a couple of posters that said the only reason DJ is getting tackles is because of our bad DT's so the runner escapes through the line and basically DJ gets a freebee. Let's face it, 133 tackles is easier said than done and from what I've seen he has made most of his tackles closer towards the sidelines and near the line of scrimmage. DJ looks fantastic in the middle and I'd hate to see him transition anywhere again.

So if DJ is set at MLB do we make a move for a new OLB? If so should we target a WLB or SLB?

I'm bored so I edited your post a tad.

TXBRONC
12-25-2007, 01:45 PM
The dude is second in the NFL with 133 tackles and 100 solo. He has played and I really bad defense and still has managed to do this. I seen a couple of posters that said the only reason DJ is getting tackles is because of our bad DT's so the runner escapes through the line and basically DJ get's a freebee. Let's face it, 133 tackles is harder said than done and from what I've seen he has made most of his tackles closer towards the sidelines and near the line of scrimmage. DJ looks fantastic in the middle and I'd hate to see him transition anywhere again.

If our defense had been better this year his number more than likely wouldn't have been as high because of a lack of opportunities which would have been a good thing. (The defense would not have been on the field as much.)

If we target a OLB and I'm assuming you mean the draft, then it should be a WLB.

DenBronx
12-25-2007, 01:55 PM
I'm bored so I edited your post a tad.

Sorry and thanks, I'm one of those guys that needs a spell checker.

If our defense had been better this year his number more than likely wouldn't have been as high because of a lack of opportunities which would have been a good thing. (The defense would not have been on the field as much.)

If we target a OLB and I'm assuming you mean the draft, then it should be a WLB.

Maybe so but the same could be said about anyone playing football. The simple fact is no one tackled the guy but DJ. That is a hard task when you have 22 guys on the field and you never know where the play will end up. The same could be said for Patrick Willis with 166 tackles.

WLB is a concern for sure but I think with really good DT's this defense will look much much better. Especially the secondary.

Lonestar
12-25-2007, 01:59 PM
Maybe BOTH but Winborn seems to be doing the job @ Wil let see how he grades out against another great RB, next week..

Perhaps the other LBs on staff coming back next year can be Backups or one of them SAM..

But unless Mikey is brain dead we do not draft a Mike, to play him at WLB or SLB.

DJ seems to have figured out the position and appears to be doing what the DT's are not tackling the runner..

TXBRONC
12-25-2007, 02:06 PM
Sorry and thanks, I'm one of those guys that needs a spell checker.

Maybe so but the same could be said about anyone playing football. The simple fact is no one tackled the guy but DJ. That is a hard task when you have 22 guys on the field and you never know where the play will end up. The same could be said for Patrick Willis with 166 tackles.

WLB is a concern for sure but I think with really good DT's this defense will look much much better. Especially the secondary.

I'm not ripping D.J at all he has been my adoptee for the last two years. I have done that because I think D.J. is a very gifted player. I don't disagree with you about him making the plays. Even if the defense was real good he would have made plays. I'm only saying he may not have as many tackles if the defense were better because they would not have been on the field as much.

I also agree with you about defensive tackle. My last response is purely based on if the team goes after a OLB.

Krugan
12-25-2007, 03:00 PM
Ill go ahead and say I think he needs to go back to his rookie year position.

We need to get someone in the middle that leads, not with stats but with attitude.

I was never a huge fan of Al Wilson the tackler, but sure miss Al Wilson the Defensive leader.

DJ isnt that guy. He seems to be more concerned with his little pose after a semi-decent play, than getting his guy back and ready for the next play. Thats just my take though.

DenBronx
12-25-2007, 03:02 PM
Maybe BOTH but Winborn seems to be doing the job @ Wil let see how he grades out against another great RB, next week..

Perhaps the other LBs on staff coming back next year can be Backups or one of them SAM..

But unless Mikey is brain dead we do not draft a Mike, to play him at WLB or SLB.

DJ seems to have figured out the position and appears to be doing what the DT's are not tackling the runner..

well said and that was my point. i really think it would be a bad decision on shanahans part to bring in another mlb and move dj again. it does look like mikeys already itching to make moves this offseason but i think he is happy about what dj has done.

I'm not ripping D.J at all he has been my adoptee for the last two years. I have done that because I think D.J. is a very gifted player. I don't disagree with you about him making the plays. Even if the defense was real good he would have made plays. I'm only saying he may not have as many tackles if the defense were better because they would not have been on the field as much.

I also agree with you about defensive tackle. My last response is purely based on if the team goes after a OLB.

yeah i see what your saying on that part. if we would have had more 3 and outs everyone on defense would have less tackles. i just don't see enough penetration in the backfield with our line though. something gerard warren did provide was penetration and the ability to take on 2 blockers at a time. even though he didnt fit the system i still think he would have been better than the other blokes we have. our linebackers and secondary looked better with myers and warren playing dt....so i think major changes need to be made here. this is by far our biggest concern this offseason.

injuries have killed this team on both sides of the ball and i think with alot of guys coming back healthy and hopefully a good draft we will see mass improvements next year. but with that said i still see dj only getting better.

DenBronx
12-25-2007, 03:09 PM

We need to get someone in the middle that leads, not with stats but with attitude.

I was never a huge fan of Al Wilson the tackler, but sure miss Al Wilson the Defensive leader.

DJ isnt that guy. He seems to be more concerned with his little pose after a semi-decent play, than getting his guy back and ready for the next play. Thats just my take though.

i see your concern because really the mlb is the qb for the defense. dj has not excelled as a vocal and moral leader and i dont think he ever will. he's just a quiet dude that loves to play football and he doesnt want to really be in the lime light. but that doesnt mean we should move him because of that...this team does need to find its al wilson but maybe its a db or ss? i think lynch and bailey have been looked to as the defensive leaders and captains now.

with that said though....i think it all stems from the coaching staff. bates should have been the one with the moral pep talks. he should have been the one pointing out the flaws not just during film sessions but during the ACTUAL game. i never saw bates lighting a fire under anyone. he has been very melon collie and that spreads like wild fire.

Stand Ablaze
12-25-2007, 03:30 PM
i see your concern because really the mlb is the qb for the defense. dj has not excelled as a vocal and moral leader and i dont think he ever will. he's just a quiet dude that loves to play football and he doesnt want to really be in the lime light. but that doesnt mean we should move him because of that...this team does need to find its al wilson but maybe its a db or ss? i think lynch and bailey have been looked to as the defensive leaders and captains now.

with that said though....i think it all stems from the coaching staff. bates should have been the one with the moral pep talks. he should have been the one pointing out the flaws not just during film sessions but during the ACTUAL game. i never saw bates lighting a fire under anyone. he has been very melon collie and that spreads like wild fire.

I think DJ is starting to step up and be a leader.

“He’s done great,” Broncos veteran cornerback Champ Bailey said. “We look at him as the leader of our defense and he’s taken that role step by step. Every day it grows, and I think he’s getting more and more comfortable with what he has to do on defense.”

I'll take Champ's word. :D

DenBronx
12-25-2007, 03:55 PM
I think DJ is starting to step up and be a leader.

“He’s done great,” Broncos veteran cornerback Champ Bailey said. “We look at him as the leader of our defense and he’s taken that role step by step. Every day it grows, and I think he’s getting more and more comfortable with what he has to do on defense.”

I'll take Champ's word. :D

i think even wilson had to grow into that role...maybe it came a little more naturally but i dont remember him being such a leader the first couple of years.

TXBRONC
12-25-2007, 05:49 PM
well said and that was my point. i really think it would be a bad decision on shanahans part to bring in another mlb and move dj again. it does look like mikeys already itching to make moves this offseason but i think he is happy about what dj has done.

yeah i see what your saying on that part. if we would have had more 3 and outs everyone on defense would have less tackles. i just don't see enough penetration in the backfield with our line though. something gerard warren did provide was penetration and the ability to take on 2 blockers at a time. even though he didnt fit the system i still think he would have been better than the other blokes we have. our linebackers and secondary looked better with myers and warren playing dt....so i think major changes need to be made here. this is by far our biggest concern this offseason.

injuries have killed this team on both sides of the ball and i think with alot of guys coming back healthy and hopefully a good draft we will see mass improvements next year. but with that said i still see dj only getting better.

I agree. I think D.J. needs to stay put at middle linebacker. While I have no doubt that if went back to the weakside he would play well, I would rather keep him in the middle.

Lonestar
12-25-2007, 10:36 PM

Al was not an immediate leader either so that point is moot.

I'm concerned wit all the little poses that the newbies seems to have to do after a decent play.. I guess I prefer the guys like Barry Sanders after making a defense look silly simply flipped the ball to the ref like he had done it before and would be back in few minutes.

Lonestar
12-25-2007, 10:41 PM
I agree. I think D.J. needs to stay put at middle linebacker. While I have no doubt that if went back to the weakside he would play well, I would rather keep him in the middle.

Unless we can get some stud MLB with out selling the farm, I totally agree.

Some folks want Al back and can't get it in their noggin he could not tackle worth SQUAT. great leader but not tackle..

Stand Ablaze
12-25-2007, 11:31 PM
Al was not an immediate leader either so that point is moot.

I'm concerned wit all the little poses that the newbies seems to have to do after a decent play.. I guess I prefer the guys like Barry Sanders after making a defense look silly simply flipped the ball to the ref like he had done it before and would be back in few minutes.

You're right, those poses do concern me also.

Webster is probably the one who made it up too. I bet he'd still do that celebration if we were down 55-0 and he stopped the runner for no gain.

Some people say it brings motivation to the team and others call it unnecessary and childish. I don't know, I'll just watch them do what they do.

omac
12-25-2007, 11:45 PM
DJ's doing great at making plays and tackling, but how good is he compared to seasoned MLB's at recognizing the offense, and quarterbacking the defense? Does he have the possitional IQ to be an Urlacher or Lewis? When not injured, those defenses look great as a unit.

Broncolingus
12-25-2007, 11:48 PM
Not everyone thought he was going to be bad...like many others, I'll hold judgement until he has someone on the defensive line that is actually somewhat effective against a team other than the Chiefs.

He looks fine now...

omac
12-26-2007, 12:20 AM
Not everyone thought he was going to be bad...like many others, I'll hold judgement until he has someone on the defensive line that is actually somewhat effective against a team other than the Chiefs.

He looks fine now...

Sounds like a good idea; the defense definitely has more glaring problems in the line.

Watchthemiddle
12-26-2007, 12:47 AM
As a guy who loves a MLB to Watchthemiddle......:listen:

I have to say I have been impressed by D.J.s play.

Is he the right guy for the job? Maybe, maybe not....but if you look at his play and progression from pre-season to week 16...its been leaps and bounds.

Off topic...but does anyone wish we could have gotten Nate W. in his prime or anytime before now??? Sorry, maybe another topic for a threa.

Stand Ablaze
12-26-2007, 12:51 AM
As a guy who loves a MLB to Watchthemiddle......:listen:

I have to say I have been impressed by D.J.s play.

Is he the right guy for the job? Maybe, maybe not....but if you look at his play and progression from pre-season to week 16...its been leaps and bounds.

Off topic...but does anyone wish we could have gotten Nate W. in his prime or anytime before now??? Sorry, maybe another topic for a threa.

Nate Webster had a prime?!? :eek:

:lol:

Watchthemiddle
12-26-2007, 12:55 AM
Nate Webster had a prime?!? :eek:

:lol:

Well, maybe this is his prime.

One of the only guys to show some passion and heart on the team.

:coffee:

G_Money
12-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Nate is ALL passion and heart - head and talent aren't his strong suits. That's why he's a good special-teamer. It takes a special kind of wacko to sprint full-speed into guys who are running full speed at you, sometimes just to bust up a wedge and let somebody else get the tackle.

It takes a different sort to be a good starter in the leage, and Nate doesn't have those qualifications. I want Nate Webster off the field as a Sam starter ASAP.

I'm also glad Gold did his own knee before I paid somebody to Nancy Kerrigan it for me.

Seriously, our LB core has issues. DJ is not one of those issues, but I'm still not sold that he's the solution in the middle.

I looooove him at the Will - he's strongest as a weak-side backer. His play recognition skills have gotten better, but they're still not where they need to be, and he's still not great at fighting through trash and filling the right gap at the line of scrimmage instead of 4 yards downfield. I don't think he'll ever be a truly vocal leader on the field and with Lynch's ride into the sunset fast-approaching I think we'll need a new voice. Don't count on DJ for that, it's not his strong suit...but right now he is playing the position you most commonly find that leadership in.

So whatever LB we add this year (strong, weak or middle) we'll need him to be both a vocal leader and a dynamite player. They have them in the draft - we just need to pick one.

I'd move DJ back to the weak-side, but if we get enough talent around him he can stay in the middle.

Either way, it's the other two LB positions that need addressing. Whether we use DJ to strengthen the Will and get a true MLB for the Mike (my preference) or go some other direction makes no huge difference to me...as long as neither Gold nor Webster nor any other 2nd-rate hack is manning a LB position for us in 08.

~G

Rex
12-26-2007, 05:08 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen...........

G Money.

Watchthemiddle
12-26-2007, 05:11 PM
Just two years ago we were touted as having the best 3 some at LB.

WOW how we have fallen.

I would like to see us get a hard nosed have blood on your jersey kind of player to fill the MLB spot. Perhaps Laurinitas ( sp?) from Ohio State. That is if he lives past getting beat down in the Championship game. :cool:

BroncoJoe
12-26-2007, 05:23 PM
~G,

:clap: :clap:

TXBRONC
12-26-2007, 08:41 PM
DJ's doing great at making plays and tackling, but how good is he compared to seasoned MLB's at recognizing the offense, and quarterbacking the defense? Does he have the possitional IQ to be an Urlacher or Lewis? When not injured, those defenses look great as a unit.

I think D.J. has the right I.Q. for the position.

Lonestar
12-26-2007, 09:35 PM

Now I do not know Brian U at all other than to have watched him play a few times, I have seen and heard lewis alot.. And I think it was the DL infront of them, that made them what they are more than Lewis' IQ.

I could be totally wet here but he is a high level moron, blessd with some athletic ability IMHO.