PDA

View Full Version : Orton's Career Taking Off In Denver

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2009, 08:19 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/nfl.denver.broncos.2.1248723.html

ARNIE STAPLETON - AP Sports Writer
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) ―

In Chicago, his many critics suggested the "O" in quarterback Kyle Orton's name really stood for "Ordinary."

So far in Denver, then, it must mean "Outstanding."

Orton's Broncos are 5-0 for the first time since 1998, when they won their last Super Bowl with Hall of Famer John Elway under center.

Every week, Orton makes the much-maligned offseason trade of Pro Bowl passer Jay Cutler to Chicago for Orton and a king's ransom of draft picks look more and more like a wise move for rookie coach Josh McDaniels.

While Cutler has settled in with the Bears (3-1), nobody in Denver is decrying his departure anymore.

Orton won AFC Offensive Player of the Week honors for leading the Broncos to a 20-17 win over New England and McDaniels' mentor, Bill Belichick, on Sunday in what was arguably his best game as a pro.

He completed a career-high 35 of 48 passes for 330 yards and two touchdown throws to cap drives that covered 90 and 98 yards. He then drove the Broncos methodically downfield for the winning kick in overtime.

"It was a special win, it was a special week," Orton said Wednesday.

But can Orton be a "special" player?

"I don't know how elite quarterbacks are judged. I don't really know that," McDaniels said. "All I care about is that he can help us win, and I know he can do that."

Orton, whose only interception this season was a desperation pass that Randy Moss came down with to end the first half Sunday, has a 26-12 record (.684) as a starter.

That places him third among active passers with at least 25 starts, behind New England's Tom Brady (.776) and Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger (.711).

Orton's 18-2 home record as a starter is the best in the league since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger.

When McDaniels was ordered by owner Pat Bowlen to grant Cutler's trade wish after an offseason of discontent, he knew just who he wanted running his offense.

"Kyle's always been a smart guy," McDaniels said. "You could see that very clearly on the film. Any film. Put on any film of Kyle Orton and you'll see a smart football player that has always had a lot of responsibility in terms of at the line of scrimmage, identifying the defense, getting his team in the right situations.

"So, that's what we ask him to do here and he's done a nice job of it."

Orton has thrown for seven touchdowns and is averaging 247 yards passing for the Broncos after averaging just 161 yards through the air for the Bears, where he started for two seasons and part of a third.

Yet, Orton said he hasn't changed much about his game since coming to Denver on April 3, other than working harder in the offseason to digest McDaniels' thick playbook.

One thing he did appreciate, though, was McDaniels having his back when he got off to a stumbling start with his new team.

Orton had a three-interception performance in the Broncos' preseason opener at San Francisco following an awful stadium scrimmage that turned a night of fun into one of boos. The next week, his odd left-handed lob on fourth-and-1 at Seattle was intercepted in the end zone.

All the while, McDaniels kept insisting Orton was doing just fine and would stay the starter.

"It was really the first time that I ever had that," Orton said of his head coach's unflinching support.

"I know there was a lot made out of our first preseason game and everything. Just looking back, I'm happy that he stuck with me and had confidence in me. That obviously does a lot for a quarterback."

Orton cares what McDaniels thinks, but he insisted his reputation nationally doesn't matter to him at all.

"Not one bit, nope," he said.

Orton heard the catcalls and radio calls in Chicago, where he was derided as a "game manager," a term he actually embraces, and much, much worse.

"Yeah, it's tough not to be aware of it. Especially in a town like Chicago, you're going to know," Orton said. "But if they're talking good or talking bad, I don't think they've got a very good idea of what my job actually is. So, it doesn't bother me one way or another."

Orton had to learn an entirely new offense in Denver, where McDaniels' game plan changes radically week to week.

"It was a lot of work. It's the most that I've worked in the offseason," Orton said. "I think the trade happened on Thursday afternoon and since that Friday morning, I haven't really stopped putting myself in the playbook."

Orton said he has a long way to go to master this offense but on the old thinking vs. instinct spectrum, he's closer to being able to simply react to what defenses do, and for that he credits the hard work of those around him.

"I've never been around a team that practices so hard on those days and spends so much time on the field," Orton said. "The benefits are paying off right now."

Shazam!
10-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Yep. McDouchebag doesn't know anything about QBs.

Bronco Warrior
10-14-2009, 09:12 PM
what do we think about his chances for comeback player of the year?

Shazam!
10-14-2009, 09:14 PM
He always had a winning record so I don't see that.

Bronco Warrior
10-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Personal improvement is how they figure it..not wins. Pennington has won it twice.
Orton goes to the playoffs with us and he will be in the discussion I promise

ikillz0mbies
10-14-2009, 09:39 PM
I love how Orton ALWAYS credits his teammates. He's very modest and intelligent.

Bronco Warrior
10-14-2009, 09:43 PM
I love how he has no concern for personal grooming or style. Pretty boy Divas are so irritating!

camdisco24
10-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Basically Orton has gone from "Oh god...." to "You're the MAN" in my book!

Lonestar
10-14-2009, 11:32 PM
Personal improvement is how they figure it..not wins. Pennington has won it twice.
Orton goes to the playoffs with us and he will be in the discussion I promise

IIRC Pennington also had season ending injuries and for the most part many thought they were career enders.. might have been the reason for the 2 comeback awards..

Shutdown
10-14-2009, 11:36 PM
I love how he has no concern for personal grooming or style. Pretty boy Divas are so irritating!

Your sig and avatar just make me angry. I don't know exactly why. I guess because they are the worst things I have ever seen in my entire life.

Shazam!
10-15-2009, 12:04 AM
Personal improvement is how they figure it..not wins. Pennington has won it twice. Orton goes to the playoffs with us and he will be in the discussion I promise

Pennington came back from devastating career threatening injuries. I'd think now he'd retire but I can definitely see him as a QB Coach and offensive coordinator.

If the Broncos continue even remotely close to they have thus far, McD will be Coach of the Year I promise you.

Superchop 7
10-15-2009, 12:05 AM
OMG.

I am going to puke.

BCJ
10-15-2009, 12:14 AM

slim if he keeps giving blood for humanity and disappears faster than the wicked witch in Wizard of Oz. :laugh:

frenchfan
10-15-2009, 01:11 AM
"It was a lot of work. It's the most that I've worked in the offseason," Orton said. "I think the trade happened on Thursday afternoon and since that Friday morning, I haven't really stopped putting myself in the playbook."

Orton said he has a long way to go to master this offense but on the old thinking vs. instinct spectrum, he's closer to being able to simply react to what defenses do, and for that he credits the hard work of those around him.

"I've never been around a team that practices so hard on those days and spends so much time on the field," Orton said. "The benefits are paying off right now."This is the best part of this article...

I like the fact Kyle is working VERY hard and also that he praises his teammates for their job too... Good way to be respected and to have leadership IMO. Add also that he can play through pain too...

Go Kyle :salute:
Go Broncos :defense:

Nomad
10-15-2009, 06:36 AM

While Orton is doing a hell of a job, it is only week 6 coming up. If he continues to play this way and it's week 13 then I would say yes.

BRONCOS have done a good job as well to this point but I would like to see them keep the momentum and finish the year strong, which has been a problem for a few years now!! In other words, hopefully they don't fizzle out as the year goes on!

SOCALORADO.
10-15-2009, 08:43 AM
I have been trying to put my finger on who he reminds me of as a player.
All last game i couldnt put my finger on it, and then it hit me, he is very much like
Jim Kelly. HE even kinda looks like him, slightly with the helmet on!
But he plays just like him.
Spreads the ball around, always it confident, has that same kind of throwing style.

JDL
10-15-2009, 04:26 PM
I have been trying to put my finger on who he reminds me of as a player.
All last game i couldnt put my finger on it, and then it hit me, he is very much like
Jim Kelly. HE even kinda looks like him, slightly with the helmet on!
But he plays just like him.
Spreads the ball around, always it confident, has that same kind of throwing style.

I'd probably go with a lesser Bernie Kosar, very erratic passer, takes a lot of sacks but is a very good leader and finds ways to get the job done.