PDA

View Full Version : The official 'why' thread

Hawgdriver
12-24-2007, 11:03 PM
Why?

My opinion: scouting and drafting, 2001-2006.

The Broncos have 13 homegrowns vs. 31 for the Chargers. We have whiffed way too many times, and we have no real identity. Losing homegrowns Al Wilson and Tom Nalen is huge. Losing Lepsis last year was the same. We have no identity outside of Jay Cutler, Champ Bailey, and Brandon Marshall, and Champ is a transplant--but definitely a Bronco, don't get me wrong.

I think things will get worse before they get better, but I hope I'm wrong.

Why do you think we stink?

dogfish
12-24-2007, 11:08 PM
a stretch of REALLY bad drafting, and the fact that shenanigans ignored the lines for far too long. . . .

Hawgdriver
12-24-2007, 11:10 PM
a stretch of REALLY bad drafting, and the fact that shenanigans ignored the lines for far too long. . . .

You can't overstate the effect of injury--I know you were aware of the effect of Lepsis last year...

But I'm starting to believe that our lines--even the offense, which I defended--are in an awful state. I haven't seen an offensive line look that porous in a while. Myers? Pwned... Graham, Pears, Holland, etc.? Same...

There is more wrong that right with Broncos right now.

NameUsedBefore
12-24-2007, 11:13 PM
They need to focus on fixing the o-line right now or else face years of a porous offense similar to Joey Harrington on the Lions and David Carr on the Texans.

slim
12-24-2007, 11:15 PM
We need to go back to veteran O-linemen (whether through free agency or trade). I really hope we go that route this year. Anyone remember Zim, Stink and Jones? No reason we can't do that again. Then we can go heavy on the D during the draft.

Krugan
12-24-2007, 11:18 PM
Heres a radical thought, the NFL has caught up to Shanny.

Lets look at what SD has done for instance, in just the last 2 games we have dominated, they have us figured out. 64-6, thats the scores from the last 2 games.

Our O line is to small for this league. The days of the lighter faster guys is about to come to an end. Why? Because the bigger guys are just as agile and fast.(opinion)

Our Dline has been a disaster for the last several years, and there seemst o be no light at the end of the tunnel. We dont seem to want to pay the people that have performed here.

And last but not least, Gary Kubiak, I really miss him.

Watchthemiddle
12-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Heres a radical thought, the NFL has caught up to Shanny.

Lets look at what SD has done for instance, in just the last 2 games we have dominated, they have us figured out. 64-6, thats the scores from the last 2 games.

Our O line is to small for this league. The days of the lighter faster guys is about to come to an end. Why? Because the bigger guys are just as agile and fast.(opinion)

Our Dline has been a disaster for the last several years, and there seemst o be no light at the end of the tunnel. We dont seem to want to pay the people that have performed here.

And last but not least, Gary Kubiak, I really miss him.

I think you have nailed it. Shanahan no longer out coaches the rest of the NFL. Teams have taken what has worked for us in the past, tweaked it and is now using it against us.

You don't get blown out as much as we have this year if thats not the case.

64-6 by Norv Turner. :shocked:

Bronco4ever
12-24-2007, 11:38 PM
We are weak on both sides of the trenches. When you get outmatched up front, you are gonna lose some key battles. Our lack of push up front really showed tonight. We need to get some beef on both lines and then maybe we can right the ship. We also need help with our LB core.

silkamilkamonico
12-25-2007, 12:32 AM
. Graham, Pears, Holland, etc.? Same...

Graham didn't play today did he? I thought he was done for the season.

I think how things looked tonight, clearly shows just how important of a blocker Graham is for us.

NameUsedBefore
12-25-2007, 12:38 AM
Graham actually pretty much gave up a sack single-handedly...

silkamilkamonico
12-25-2007, 12:42 AM

Did he play? I thought he was done for the rest of the season.

Medford Bronco
12-25-2007, 12:49 AM
The offensive line is offensive.

No QB, not Brady, not Montana or Elway would be successful with that patchwork pathetic unit.

The D line just sucks, we knew this all year.

the Lbs are average at best

the new/old punter sucks as well. what a bum

sneakers
12-25-2007, 12:55 AM
I think not enough focus on the d-line and o-line....There has been a slow degradation of our Offensive line the last 5 years.

KCL
12-25-2007, 01:55 AM
wow....I read all these post and could of sworn you all
were talking about the Chiefs.;)

I guess it sucks when your team sucks doesn't it?:mad:

Watchthemiddle
12-25-2007, 02:01 AM
Did he play? I thought he was done for the rest of the season.

He might as well have been. NOt sure who it was that blew by him but he got Cutler crunched.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-25-2007, 02:10 AM
I guess tonight was a real eye opener for some people regarding the line. (Offensive line!) Glad you hopped on board. :)

broncosfanscott
12-25-2007, 02:12 AM

Travis Henry did the same. The guy he was supposed to block just ran right through him.

broncosfanscott
12-25-2007, 02:15 AM
I guess tonight was a real eye opener for some people regarding the line. (Offensive line!) Glad you hopped on board. :)

No kidding. The way they were playing I don't blame Cutler for being as pissed as he was. This o-line better do something next year.

The Vikings are up next and I hope we can spoil there fun and eliminate them from the playoffs.

DenBronx
12-25-2007, 02:47 AM
whats up with this dude ryan harris? why isnt he getting playing time since this season is a wash?

silkamilkamonico
12-25-2007, 04:50 AM
whats up with this dude ryan harris? why isnt he getting playing time since this season is a wash?

He must be hurt. If he isn't, I don't have a clue why.

I'm not absolutely positive, but I'm pretty sure I saw him playing DT a few games ago. Wait, that might have been Steven Harris.

dogfish
12-25-2007, 04:52 AM
He must be hurt. If he isn't, I don't have a clue why.

I'm not absolutely positive, but I'm pretty sure I saw him playing DT a few games ago. Wait, that might have been Steven Harris.

that's steven harris, the undrafted rook from florida. . .

as for ryan harris, the coaches just must not feel he's ready-- which isn't exactly encouraging. . .

Hawgdriver
12-25-2007, 12:04 PM
that's steven harris, the undrafted rook from florida. . .

as for ryan harris, the coaches just must not feel he's ready-- which isn't exactly encouraging. . .

Maybe, maybe not. The Broncos don't usually feed rookie linemen to the wolves...they send them to the practice squad (that's not gonna happen to him) or IR...wait...

Well, maybe he'll pan out next year.

Is the 08 draft forum buzzin' yet?

Bronco9798
12-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Horrible FA signings this year. I think almost all of the DT's we signed in the off-season are almost all gone. Bates has a real knack for picking talent and selling Shanny on what he needed, starting with Sam Adams. I almost puked when we signed him. That crap up front this year was pathetic.

omac
12-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Horrible FA signings this year. I think almost all of the DT's we signed in the off-season are almost all gone. Bates has a real knack for picking talent and selling Shanny on what he needed, starting with Sam Adams. I almost puked when we signed him. That crap up front this year was pathetic.

Stokley turned out to be a great pickup; Graham's been pretty solid. Henry's been a disappointment with all his nagging injuries, despite starting the season strong. On defense, though, you're right, our DT's were terrible.

How's Grady Jackson doing? Is he playing solid for jacksonville? He was available for a while, and he's a pretty big tackle. Denver wasn't at all interested in him.

Bronco9798
12-25-2007, 12:15 PM
Stokley turned out to be a great pickup; Graham's been pretty solid. Henry's been a disappointment with all his nagging injuries, despite starting the season strong. On defense, though, you're right, our DT's were terrible.

How's Grady Jackson doing? Is he playing solid for jacksonville? He was available for a while, and he's a pretty big tackle. Denver wasn't at all interested in him.

You know Bates had to convince Shanny to bring those rejects in he did. Graham had a decent year, nothing great. I love Stokley, but he's living up to his injury reputation. Henry was a joke of a signing. I hated that move with the Adams more than any of them.

SarahKay
12-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Was Stokley's knee what bothered him in Indy?
At least he'll have the offseason to nurse it back.. hopefully.